Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions for recent and recent-ish games to play. My god, I wanna say my backlog won't grow, meaning I'll play them all to completion when I get them, but hahahahahahaha.

Anyway, which Shadow Warrior is good? Also, I know this isn't FPS-specific, but which new Hitman is good?

The first Shadow Warrior reboot (2013) is great. Shadow Warrior 2 is still pretty good, but gets repetitive with its procedural generation. Hyped for Shadow Warrior 3 to be a return to form next year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I've played it thanks to the last 2€ for 4 months of game pass ultimate.

Darn Tootin.

I hope they add more Boomer Shooters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

I hope they add more Boomer Shooters

:hai:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I am unreasonably excited to play Halo games again. Very glad they're all on Steam.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I am unreasonably excited to play Halo games again. Very glad they're all on Steam.

5 weirdly isn’t but it’s one of the worse ones so whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jehde posted:

The first Shadow Warrior reboot (2013) is great. Shadow Warrior 2 is still pretty good, but gets repetitive with its procedural generation. Hyped for Shadow Warrior 3 to be a return to form next year though.

yeah i think 2 was much better with the guns in general but there's some aspects that are messy as hell and hopefully 3 isn't screwed on funding like 2 was

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Thanks for all the suggestions for recent and recent-ish games to play. My god, I wanna say my backlog won't grow, meaning I'll play them all to completion when I get them, but hahahahahahaha.

Anyway, which Shadow Warrior is good? Also, I know this isn't FPS-specific, but which new Hitman is good?

Shadow Warrior 2013 is a comparatively tight and fairly linear FPS. My biggest issue with the game is the extremely limited enemy roster: There are 5 common enemy types and 3 "heavy" enemy types, and the game runs out of things to do with these enemies long before the game is over. I'd suggest playing it on a lower difficulty, because at higher difficulties I didn't feel like much of your (fairly small) arsenal--even when thoroughly upgraded--was consistently effective against the sponginess of Hard and Insane, and your sword and powers end up doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Fortunately, the sword and powers feel good to use, and it's got a great character (Hoji).

Shadow Warrior 2 is a bizarre departure--almost like a "Borderlands" take on things. You have a hub, you talk to various NPCs, and you go on missions. Levels are basically blocks of prebuilt areas procedurally connected to each other, so you'll see a lot of the same blocks over and over again but the arrangements will change. There's an enormous roster of enemies and weapons, and both are further complicated by RPG-esque mechanics (modifiers like "electric" and "elite" for enemies; mods and socketed gems for weapons)--in the case of the latter, there are simply too many gems with bullshit granular improvements like "+2% Rate of Fire" or "+5% magazine capacity" that will bog things down if you focus too much on them. The story is complete and utter nonsense, and should probably be ignored entirely--especially for killing off one of the only interesting characters from SW2013 (Hoji).

I'd argue that, with caveats, they're both enjoyable games in their own rights, and it's very difficult to compare them because they're such different games, it's insane that they were supposed to be associated with each other, let alone one being the direct sequel to the other.

SW2013 if you want a simple and straightforward shooter; SW2 if you want something weirdly ambitious that doesn't consistently pull off the landing. In both cases, the games will happily drag you along for way longer than they need to, so feel free to quit if you feel like you're just doing the same poo poo over and over again.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 31, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Are the reboot games still weirdly racist? I feel like you kinda can't get away from that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

in what way?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Are the reboot games still weirdly racist? I feel like you kinda can't get away from that.

nah, not anymore. at the very least not in the insanely overt way the original was from what i can recall

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Baron von Eevl posted:

They somehow did. They’re fine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

it turns out you can just not do that stuff and still make a game about a chinese guy in japan

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Weedle posted:

it turns out you can just not do that stuff and still make a game about a chinese guy in japan

I give it 7 out of 10 on the Wang-O-Meter.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, sadly.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Thank you thread for telling me to go play Dimension of the Machine. That was some good quake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New achievements, unlocked by Rare devs, have appeared in the Xbox database for Goldenye(N64 version remastered)

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

New achievements, unlocked by Rare devs, have appeared in the Xbox database for Goldenye(N64 version remastered)

https://www.trueachievements.com/game/GoldenEye-007/achievements
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1477111461495275520

So I guess the leak renewed interest enough for them to actually release it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Until Im proven wrong Im going to assume Banjo Kazooie was the prisoner exchange Nintendo wanted in exchange for Goldeneye

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't the remake get shelved because the Bond rights holders pulled the license at the last minute?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

repiv posted:

Didn't the remake get shelved because the Bond rights holders pulled the license at the last minute?

Memory is everyone was onboard and it was Nintendo who pulled out at the end.

With Danjaq (what a loving stupid company name) doing games again I would assume they're open to this.

Still laughing hoe 007 Legends only complete version is the WiiU version because Danjaq mandated the final level couldn't be included on the disc for all other versions so not only is the ending of the game missing, so is the title Bond's only level + roughly 1/6th of the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Memory is everyone was onboard and it was Nintendo who pulled out at the end.

With Danjaq (what a loving stupid company name) doing games again I would assume they're open to this.

Still laughing hoe 007 Legends only complete version is the WiiU version because Danjaq mandated the final level couldn't be included on the disc for all other versions so not only is the ending of the game missing, so is the title Bond's only level + roughly 1/6th of the game.

It's funny that it was ostensibly to prevent Skyfall spoilers. Of which the DLC mission had none of, really. And it was still a non-ending.

Poor Eurocom, they did good stuff but man were they just given the short straw constantly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like its different from the canned XBLA port, the achievements are all different (that secret achievement is hilarious and evil!), the screenshots in the achievement art are all N64 assets, and there's references to things renamed/replaced in the XBLA port like Dr. Doak and DK Mode. Oh, and it's for Xbox One instead of 360.

Curious to see what falls out the other end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, Eurocom we could treat this license that cost 50 million USD with respect, budget, timing and mutual cooperation but baby, were Danjaq and Activision

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:emptyquote:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I should play TWINE64 again..

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I should play TWINE64 again..

I wanted to like this game so much more than I ended up because it has that problem of too many gimmick levels not only denying you the fun core loop gameplay but also making the core loop stuff feel uneven because their is't smooth enough progression for it.

I should probably also play it again

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hope that new port gets released on PC and Switch too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hope that new port gets released on PC and Switch too.

Switch would be good. Hope we can just buy it and not use the lovely n64 online thing

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfbbzYyrRgE

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/SlappyCromwell/status/1477162294765408258

:negative:

I did love Alyx and the setup it has for the rest of the series/next game but there's no guarantee that'll ever happen.....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol episodic content. what a load of horseshit that ended up being

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Live service games are now effectively episodic games, they just come out as patches instead of new executables

Telltale also did pretty well for itself

Episodic development is just a bad fit for SP campaigns using rapidly evolving cutting-edge tech

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if you think valve is ever going to make another conventional game, the only thing that motivates them at this point is the potential of new revenue streams (e.g. pushing PCVR with alyx, or microtransaction-hell with artifact)

when they acquired campo santo, who were in the middle of developing a conventional singleplayer game, the first thing they did was yeet that game into the trash so the developers could focus on making hats or whatever

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 1, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Every year I've been mailing Gaben a printed copy of that '06 news article with the "...18 months, rather than 18 years" quote circled in red pen, and yeah, each year the circling might be increasingly aggressive, but I usually try to include something useful in the envelope, or maybe some levity. Like this year was,

code:
DEAR GABE N.

"TICK TOCK" ha ha ha LOOKING FORWARD TO THE "FINISHED PRODUCT"

PLease enjoy my Desktop APpraisal of your HOME!  The Seattle market is HOT! HOT! HOT!

P.S. DOn'T CALL THE POLICE AGAIN THIS YEAR, I  ALREADY PROMISED I WON'T KILL YOU ;-)

P.P.S.  Do you recommend any B&Bs in New Zealand?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

site posted:

Yeah it seemed like every single company went wild for it at the same time and every single company failed to actually put out anything complete or satisfying or well-priced with the concept.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I think for as long as Gabe is halfway interested in what goes on at Valve, there's a chance they may release a normal game, even that's a stretch. I just don't think he wants to be involved with a company that has been the butt of so many jokes over the years. If he leaves again, then yeah there's no chance whatsoever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

It's funny, because episodic format makes things worse, not better, so in a way it was the opposite of what they wanted. Developing two hours of game, one part after another, it's actually less efficient than developing a big game for 5 years and then releasing it whole at once. So technically with episodic release you have shorter waits until the next episode yes, but the math of the total is something like. ie. 5 episodes vs 1 full game, 5 episodes need 18 months each one, so 18 x5 = 90 months, or 7.5 years, while the equivalent in a full game would be just 5 years of dev time.
It's the reason the idea was abandoned in the industry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Finished DUSK on switch just now. Great port. I hope more of these games make it to switch but I’m also looking forward to steam deck for all the old shooters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e: double phone post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Doesn't valve have a 'parallel working environment' where there are no managers, just a bunch of rudderless cliques being carried by the dota/csgo devs, and of course the steam team