Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Centre for Deltas Control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Most of the reduced quarantine poo poo is about maintaining essential services because everyone's about to get sick. It's the best of some really bad options.

That being said... the fact that we are discussing this with non-essential services open, and discretionary travel allowed? Madness. loving stupid bullshit. We should not be discussing these measures while in-person retail is open, while any kind of in-person dining is open; it's ridiculous and stupid and I hate everyone involved.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Ontario delaying back to school!…..

By 2 days

Just…. loving drat it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I admire their confidence we'll have this thing licked in just two more days.

Doug's gonna roll up his sleeves and show this Omicron a thing or two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Ontario delaying back to school!…..

By 2 days

Just…. loving drat it

Honest to god: what is the logic here?

Under what theory is this a thing to be done?

As long as the governments continue to do absolutely loving ridiculous things like this, is it too much to ask that they release their modelling and explain why the gently caress they are doing what they're doing?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

Most of the reduced quarantine poo poo is about maintaining essential services because everyone's about to get sick. It's the best of some really bad options.
This thread is why. Like the health care system is already busted and a bunch of us are about to get Covid even though we're all vaccinated. God we're all so boned.

https://twitter.com/NeejaB/status/1476750914136391680?t=zqKgET6m7yAleKg_xKUYJg&s=19

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I understand not delaying back to school... I understand delaying by 10 or more days... I don't understand what 2 days accomplishes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Presumably it's two days to give them time to actually come up with a plan/legislation for something longer than two days, because everyone's on holiday and nothing is getting done in time for the previously announced reopening of schools.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

EngineerJoe posted:

I understand not delaying back to school... I understand delaying by 10 or more days... I don't understand what 2 days accomplishes.

We’re doing SOMETHING, GOD, GET OFF OUR ASSES

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

It's two days so that they can pretend to have done something and that there is an actual useful plan coming

There isn't, of course. Even if they actually planned to spend money (lol) and improve ventilation/have smaller classes there's no time or resources for it. And they won't mandate vaccines for staff/students because it would play badly with their base.

It's a 'see, we did all we could, it must be the teachers'/parents'/kids' fault that covid is running rampant in the schools' move

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

This thread is why. Like the health care system is already busted and a bunch of us are about to get Covid even though we're all vaccinated. God we're all so boned.

https://twitter.com/NeejaB/status/1476750914136391680?t=zqKgET6m7yAleKg_xKUYJg&s=19

Yeah, it's obvious to anyone who's paying attention. It's a very bad situation even if Omicron is not very severe, and even if vaccinations prevent severe illness and even if there's not a huge concern with long COVID. Any loving idiot can see the obvious problems, and that a de facto shutdown is about to occur in some sense no matter what. We are seeing the same things with airlines, probably with logistics and other essential industries, it's foolish to ignore it. It's not going to go away on its own, and even if the end plan is "we all get it" and we accept that, it's still loving dangerous and stupid to allow it all to happen at once.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

That being said... the fact that we are discussing this with non-essential services open, and discretionary travel allowed? Madness. loving stupid bullshit. We should not be discussing these measures while in-person retail is open, while any kind of in-person dining is open; it's ridiculous and stupid and I hate everyone involved.

Discretionary travel is always allowed. at least for Canadian citizens. The question is what measures can be applied to the process to make it as unlikely to spread COVID as reasonably possible.

How do you define "non-essential" services that need to be closed? I'd agree that indoor dining, or anything where a bunch of unmasked people are gathering indoors with strangers who are also unmasked, falls under that category. You can make a lot of "non-essential" activities safe enough if you enforce capacity limits and masking requirements.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tagesschau posted:

Discretionary travel is always allowed. at least for Canadian citizens. The question is what measures can be applied to the process to make it as unlikely to spread COVID as reasonably possible.

How do you define "non-essential" services that need to be closed? I'd agree that indoor dining, or anything where a bunch of unmasked people are gathering indoors with strangers who are also unmasked, falls under that category. You can make a lot of "non-essential" activities safe enough if you enforce capacity limits and masking requirements.

Yes, I agree. That was probably a thing we should have done before we asked the question: "well, just how sick do HCWs have to be before we don't let them work, because otherwise we'll have no workers?"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The last time they tried to limit shopping to essentials only in Manitoba at first they allowed so many loopholes a store that sold decorative candles was allowed to stay open and then when they made an actual list of items you could buy in person shops either used whatever interpretation made them the most money or just said gently caress it and hoped bylaw enforcement just didn't come knocking.

It was so loving stupid.

And now we face an exciting future of continued loving stupidity.

lol lmao

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Same thing with flight training. Lol, that was an exemption because you need medevac pilots and such to be able to maintain legal standards of training, not so we can teach rich dipshits to fly Cessnas.

EDIT: And, plumbers for an example. Absolutely an essential service, so broken things can be fixed and people have access to water and sanitation. Not so motherfuckers can redo their bathrooms!

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Tochiazuma posted:

It's two days so that they can pretend to have done something and that there is an actual useful plan coming

There isn't, of course. Even if they actually planned to spend money (lol) and improve ventilation/have smaller classes there's no time or resources for it. And they won't mandate vaccines for staff/students because it would play badly with their base.

It's a 'see, we did all we could, it must be the teachers'/parents'/kids' fault that covid is running rampant in the schools' move

I don't think they're even planning to do any of that. It's basically 2 days so they can toss out some N95s and then leave everyone to the wolves.

I'm not even sure what testing is supposed to look like for kids. Supposedly they can get take-home PCR tests, but how do you even do that? If your kid is sick one morning do you need to go to the school and pick up a test?

Guaranteed this is going to skyrocket the number of parents who will be willing to excuse some sniffles and a sore throat as "probably nothing".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Yeah, it's obvious to anyone who's paying attention. It's a very bad situation even if Omicron is not very severe, and even if vaccinations prevent severe illness and even if there's not a huge concern with long COVID. Any loving idiot can see the obvious problems, and that a de facto shutdown is about to occur in some sense no matter what. We are seeing the same things with airlines, probably with logistics and other essential industries, it's foolish to ignore it. It's not going to go away on its own, and even if the end plan is "we all get it" and we accept that, it's still loving dangerous and stupid to allow it all to happen at once.

I'd very much like to know what the end plan is, because it doesn't seem like anyone, anywhere has such a plan. Instead we're all, still, simply reacting to whatever the virus throws at us.

IMO the original strategy of "flatten the curve" was the way to go. Impose measures to smooth out big spikes, but otherwise let the virus circulate and work towards herd immunity. The second part of this plan was quickly dropped in favour of "as little covid as possible". That after 20 months we are still going into full lockdown suggests to me that this policy is not very effective. The virus is too good at circumventing our measures against it, and at this point there's no reason to think that spikes like this will not continue to happen as more variants emerge, especially in the colder months. The virus is going to impose herd immunity on us whether we like it or not-- trying to prevent this seems futile.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 31, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Count Roland posted:

Impose measures to smooth out big spikes

Count Roland posted:

That after 20 months we are still going into full lockdown

If "beating your previous record for COVID cases in a day by 3x" isn't a big spike, what is?

I agree that permanent lockdowns don't make sense, but no one in Canada did that, and if there's ever a time to add restrictions, now is that time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alctel posted:

Not defending it at all, but this is in line with what the CDC is saying about only taking 5 days isolation with asymptomatic cases

The CDC announced the 5-day quarantine for healthcare workers (probably problematic) and letting symptomatic healthcare workers return (a large :wtf:) as contingency/crisis plans for hospitals with severe staffing problems, presumably with the idea that it was better than letting patients go untreated or bleed out in the ER. Fine.

The 5 day quarantine for everyone else was announced later and seems very much at odds with the goal of preventing hospital collapse. Nobody should copypasta it blindly because it really seems like a job creator asked "well if healthcare workers only need 5 days why does my minimum wage cashier/flight attendant need more?".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

enki42 posted:

If "beating your previous record for COVID cases in a day by 3x" isn't a big spike, what is?

I agree that permanent lockdowns don't make sense, but no one in Canada did that, and if there's ever a time to add restrictions, now is that time.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm saying that "flatten the curve" involves restrictions to flatten spikes AND generally letting covid move through the population. We've only been doing the first part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honest to christ: what restrictions are you talking about? We've barely had any restrictions on what we can do since July-ish.

What else could we have allowed?

There hasn't been a lockdown at any time, and there have not been severe restrictions since June 2020. Am I taking crazy pills?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

I'm sort of assuming that Count Roland is in Quebec, because they're the only place that can reasonably be considered to having anything close to a "lockdown".

If it's 50% capacity and no popcorn while you see Spiderman, then lol if you consider that a lockdown.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

PT6A posted:

Honest to christ: what restrictions are you talking about? We've barely had any restrictions on what we can do since July-ish.

What else could we have allowed?

There hasn't been a lockdown at any time, and there have not been severe restrictions since June 2020. Am I taking crazy pills?

There's been awful, protracted, pathetic leadership at all levels of government, throughout the country, from the pandemic. On this one, they might not actually be wrong. It seems like there might not actually be any real options. Governments could do something, but it would be mostly show. While they do like doing things for show (two days for the schools, Doug?), doing nothing is right in our leaders' wheelhouses so they jumped on it.

Everyone's getting Omicron. Shut everything down - and everyone's still getting Omicron. Maybe a little slower? But with it having exploded just before the holidays, where everyone got together despite contrary guidance because of COVID fatigue and, well, in the result shutting things down might not do anything significant.

Hopefully the math used for the projections pans out. Omircon's much lower prevalence of severe symptoms, times our high prevalence of vaccine uptake plus our anti-vaxxers mostly having gotten some strain previously, such that even when multiplied by Omicron's insane spread, our healthcare system might not crash - but that'll take putting COVID-19 positive health care workers back in hospitals because everyone is going to have it.

Everyone take care of yourselves. Stay in tonight. Not because of the spread of Omicron. Because not going to the hospital for a slip-and-fall or something else is pretty much the best thing that we can contribute.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maneck posted:

Everyone take care of yourselves. Stay in tonight. Not because of the spread of Omicron. Because not going to the hospital for a slip-and-fall or something else is pretty much the best thing that we can contribute.

So, you agree that hospital capacity and worker availability is an issue, and the best thing we can do is try to stay in... but the government telling people to stay in is bad?

I'm not saying we need to lock down until we hit zero COVID, I don't think that's possible at this point. But we should, in the short-term, take steps to protect essential services like healthcare, and that means "everyone gets Omicron, but slower" is still a worthy and important goal.

It's a few weeks. Not the end of the world!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I mostly agree with you, but

PT6A posted:

It's a few weeks. Not the end of the world!
how long have we been hearing this lol

I’m just so tired

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Pleads posted:

I’m just so tired

You act like Canada has been in a consistent state of lockdown. My summer was basically not impacted (and I take more precautions than what's officially recommended).

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

All the parents I know are starting to come apart at the seams (us included). We probably shouldn't take our kids out to do things because they can get sick and can't get vaccines. Then they can come home and get us sick. That's the baseline.

But then again, keeping your kids inside all day is really tough. Go outside? Currently the air hurts their skin. See friends? Maybe too dangerous. Do they have the sniffles, like most kids at most times? Bringing them anywhere is gonna get a few hot looks no matter how negative for COVID they test (but going places isn't safe anyway). So I guess home inside all day with you is the answer?

Yeah but you have to work. Take them to daycare? See above. Work from home with them around? Difficult. Very difficult. Employers talk about "can't open nobody wants to work" but what about all the moms I know on leave/quitting because a solid childcare option during all this isn't available.

12-14 hours of childcare every day with no real outlets is very, very loving taxing. If you know any parents you should give them a call at around 8pm local time when their kids are asleep and ask them how they're really doing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1476970096820060160

Let's do this, let's fuckin goooooooooo.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

StoicRomance posted:

All the parents I know are starting to come apart at the seams (us included). We probably shouldn't take our kids out to do things because they can get sick and can't get vaccines. Then they can come home and get us sick. That's the baseline.

But then again, keeping your kids inside all day is really tough. Go outside? Currently the air hurts their skin. See friends? Maybe too dangerous. Do they have the sniffles, like most kids at most times? Bringing them anywhere is gonna get a few hot looks no matter how negative for COVID they test (but going places isn't safe anyway). So I guess home inside all day with you is the answer?

Yeah but you have to work. Take them to daycare? See above. Work from home with them around? Difficult. Very difficult. Employers talk about "can't open nobody wants to work" but what about all the moms I know on leave/quitting because a solid childcare option during all this isn't available.

12-14 hours of childcare every day with no real outlets is very, very loving taxing. If you know any parents you should give them a call at around 8pm local time when their kids are asleep and ask them how they're really doing.

Thanks for this. This is insanely hard. I see people shout all the time about how its our choice we had kids, how you should take care of em and stop hoping someone else will.

gently caress off. Even before daycares existed, there was always a help network for parents. Grandparents, brothers and sisters, fellow parent friends, neighbors.

We're left to our absolute own devices here, and it sucks hard. I had my child February 2020. We had no help, no break until last summer. With the curfew coming up again, I am worried for my relationship and my child development.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

StoicRomance posted:

Being stuck in when me, or anyone I'm responsible for, has coughs or sniffles, sucks. Not being able to have them play sports or go swimming or do things sucks. That situation lasting 2 years loving sucks.

When I consider that it's basically going to be a permanent state of affairs because people can't deal with mild impositions on their conduct it makes me want the army to use force to direct a mass vaccination campaign.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Man I cannot believe they held a press conference just to announce shortening of isolation requirements after we posted 4k cases in a day. There really is no help coming.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol yeah no one even tried to make this deadline.

https://twitter.com/DonDavies/status/1476718440475889664?s=20

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Now I'm torn on what the odds are of universal pharmacare still being in the next big red book versus never being mentioned again in an election campaign.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pleads posted:

I’m just so tired

Seriously, answer me this: when were we locked down? The only long-term restrictions we had was "no visiting other households in private" which was particularly stupid, and it's not existed since July 1.

It hasn't been "just a few weeks" since Spring 2020, which was the last time we actually did anything substantial. And it was just a few weeks at that time!

It feels long if you've been taking precautions, but in terms of what the government allows... it's pretty much everything. This past year, you could go to a bar, you could travel, you could go to a hockey game, you could go to the gym, schools were open, etc. Those things might not have been good ideas, but you could do them if you wanted.

I feel like everyone has constructed a false memory of the past two years where we weren't allowed to leave our houses or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Man I cannot believe they held a press conference just to announce shortening of isolation requirements after we posted 4k cases in a day. There really is no help coming.

I can believe it, because Hinshaw and Kenney are the loads their respective mommas should've swallowed.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

PT6A posted:

Seriously, answer me this: when were we locked down? The only long-term restrictions we had was "no visiting other households in private" which was particularly stupid, and it's not existed since July 1.

It hasn't been "just a few weeks" since Spring 2020, which was the last time we actually did anything substantial. And it was just a few weeks at that time!

It feels long if you've been taking precautions, but in terms of what the government allows... it's pretty much everything. This past year, you could go to a bar, you could travel, you could go to a hockey game, you could go to the gym, schools were open, etc. Those things might not have been good ideas, but you could do them if you wanted.

I feel like everyone has constructed a false memory of the past two years where we weren't allowed to leave our houses or something.

Hey the government didn't literally lock you in your house and you could have been taking part in a lot of irresponsible behavior even though you didn't so you are misremembering the last two years of only doing what was essential. Turn that frown upside down!

What a dumb take.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

So, you agree that hospital capacity and worker availability is an issue, and the best thing we can do is try to stay in... but the government telling people to stay in is bad?

There is no way to get the bolded part from that post.

PT6A posted:

For people who having been complying with the guidance, rather that ignoring it in favour of doing the minimal legal requirement, that's been two years in mostly isolation. Don't rag on someone for sharing the mental health burden that brings, especially in such a disingenuous way. You're being that jerk who picks fights in the thread over things he imagined others have said.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 31, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DrBox posted:

Hey the government didn't literally lock you in your house and you could have been taking part in a lot of irresponsible behavior even though you didn't so you are misremembering the last two years of only doing what was essential. Turn that frown upside down!

What a dumb take.

Why is everyone acting like I said "the last two years have been a wonderful picnic?"

No, it's loving sucked. It's harmed my mental health, it's making everyone crazy, and every part of that has to do with the fact there's a deadly loving pandemic going on, and very little to do with any kind of government restrictions (the lack thereof having extended this bastard loving pandemic at every turn).

We need out of this pandemic, we need to save some lives. We can't do that by allowing uncontrolled case growth, even with a milder variant; this will cost human lives, it will extend the misery of this loving pandemic even further. This stupid loving fatalism is useless bullshit and you're all parroting conservative capitalist poo poo, gently caress anyone who says we shouldn't protect ourselves and others.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

eXXon posted:

Now I'm torn on what the odds are of universal pharmacare still being in the next big red book versus never being mentioned again in an election campaign.

It will definitely be mentioned again, they'll probably just take a cycle off then recycle the old pamphlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maneck posted:

For people who having been complying with the guidance, rather that ignoring it in favour of doing the minimal legal requirement, that's been two years in mostly isolation. Don't rag on someone for sharing the mental health burden that brings, especially in such a disingenuous way. You're being that jerk who picks fights in the thread over things he imagined others have said.

You think I'm picking fights over things people haven't said, and you're saying I'm ignoring the mental health effects of the giant uncontrolled pandemic going on? Are you on crack?

EDIT: I mean, here's where I'm at: we're in another crisis, we've hosed up terribly over the past years, I spent 7 months off work because it didn't feel safe even though I was technically allowed to continue working, and I've been following all the advice and then some. It sucks rear end, meanwhile there are hockey games and basketball games with huge attendance, all this bullshit. I am sick of being the one doing all the work on this group project. I assume pretty much everyone who's adhering to common loving sense is very tired at this point; I'm saying -- we shouldn't have to be the ones doing all the work anymore. The government should do the needful and make everyone do this poo poo, so we can get the crisis under control and then go back to some semblance of normal, rather than hanging immunocompromised people out to dry and simply acting like we can't do anything about a significant problem.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 31, 2021