Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lone Goat posted:

My fav card as a kid was Veteran Bodyguard. I'd just load him up with Holy Armor and protect him with Counterspells and we could never be defeated, it was great.

Now my favourite card is Search For Azcanta. Just love to put things in the bin and pass the turn and draw spells and eventually know the entire order of my deck because I've activated it so many times, hell yeah.

Search is a card that looks fun to play but then I'd have to play blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Breeding Pit + LotP is a COMBO.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
just downloaded mtg online after not having played it in like 5 years

did they just get rid of swiss drafts? i only see single elimination for phantom

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Nastier Nate posted:

just downloaded mtg online after not having played it in like 5 years

did they just get rid of swiss drafts? i only see single elimination for phantom

They did change it, now all of the swiss drafts are draft leagues and you no longer play exclusively with your pod.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I got a set booster box of the DnD set for very little money as a Christmas present to myself because I liked the card arts and the DnD theme was cool, and pulled a Tiamat and Old Gnawbones out of it, basically paying for the box

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Possibly my favorite old card, if only because I totally played with this specific version of the card that omitted the 'until end of turn'. So, naturally, I'd play this and it'd grow by 3 power every turn til I could swing in with a big boy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The World Inferno posted:

Possibly my favorite old card, if only because I totally played with this specific version of the card that omitted the 'until end of turn'. So, naturally, I'd play this and it'd grow by 3 power every turn til I could swing in with a big boy.

I got an antiquities millstone and thought because it didn’t have the tap symbol I could use it as many times as I wanted

No I still didn’t ever mill anyone out successfully but I thought it mattered :smith:

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
feel like 3 mana for an 0/1 that adds +1/+1 counters for b would have actually been sort of a decent rate

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Look at this poo poo. The text beyond the stat line is completely irrelevant. As a nine year old, that’s all you need. Someone tried explaining that the actual best card was this thing that made three mana for nothing, but…who the gently caress cares.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalvanoo posted:

feel like 3 mana for an 0/1 that adds +1/+1 counters for b would have actually been sort of a decent rate

Counterpoint: luminarch aspirant is rate limited and got alchemized

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

HootTheOwl posted:

Counterpoint: luminarch aspirant is rate limited and got alchemized

yeah but you're not devoting mana to it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalvanoo posted:

It doesnt die to doom blade

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
What creatures were even competitive in shades time? I know serra angel was the wincon of some super control deck. Was sligh built yet?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

What creatures were even competitive in shades time? I know serra angel was the wincon of some super control deck. Was sligh built yet?

Frozen Shade's time was Alpha and we don't really have deck lists from back then. If you're playing enough black for Shade you were probably doing some nonsense with Dark Ritual and Hypnotic Spectre or Sengir Vampire. Erg Raiders and Stone Throwing Devils with Bad Moon after Arabian Nights released, maybe?

Has there been a competitive constructed playable Shade since Nantuko Shade? That BBB 3/3 from Dominaria saw no play I think?

You probably already know this, but Shade didn't actually get the +1/+1 permanently, cards were just worded that way back then, with effects like that intrinsically expiring at end of turn. Lots of people def got it wrong though, I remember my neighbour and I with Wall of Fire and Wall of Water with a billion pennies on them before we read the rulebook more closely.

Sligh showed up around Fallen Empires or so, but there were probably mono red burn decks or goblin decks before that.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Sligh rose to prominence is 1996 when Paul Sligh played it at a PT qualifier. It lose to a necro deck iirc.

I started playing in 1995 and the top end creatures seeing play were serra, nightmare, mahamoti djinn, ernham djinn and Shivan dragon.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Look at this poo poo. The text beyond the stat line is completely irrelevant. As a nine year old, that’s all you need. Someone tried explaining that the actual best card was this thing that made three mana for nothing, but…who the gently caress cares.

It would be cool if Timmy cards were actually good in magic although I don't know how you'd accomplish that within the constraints of the MTG game engine without the game becoming terribly swingy

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Early creatures were hot garbage. Even the "good" ones wouldn't hold a candle to what gets printed these days.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

kalel posted:

It would be cool if Timmy cards were actually good in magic although I don't know how you'd accomplish that within the constraints of the MTG game engine without the game becoming terribly swingy

Sultai Ultimatum was a tier one deck like 6 months ago

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

I would say cards like Steel-Leaf, Questing Beast, Goldspan, all the over-rate agressive mythics are good Timmy cards. It's just that Spike know that the best support for your giant murder machine is to curve into it and not have it be the start of your curve.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Aranan posted:

Early creatures were hot garbage. Even the "good" ones wouldn't hold a candle to what gets printed these days.

Reminder that there was a time Serra Angel was Too Good For Standard.

My biggest Sign Of The Times coming back to the game after like 18 years was realizing Juzam would be unplayable in constructed. Though you'd be reasonably happy with him in your 23 in a limited deck.

Now any creature worth having is rate pushed and has an etb and maybe repeatable spell attached to it.

Have they ever done a nod to Force of Nature?

I could see the same body but it PRODUCES mana for free at the start of precombat main.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

they did half a nod to it, once

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

they did half a nod to it, once

Dies to ETB.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

Has there been a competitive constructed playable Shade since Nantuko Shade? That BBB 3/3 from Dominaria saw no play I think?

If we're talking about creatures that pump, no. Skyclave Shade saw some competitive top 8s in historic mono-black at the beginning and end of the strixhaven meta (before tainted pact, after time warp) but fell off completely once J21 came out.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

which saw play with

in Lorwyn days.

Edit:

Lone Goat posted:

Dread Shade saw a little play online, but only one person ever played it a major event. https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19359&d=323159&f=ST

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 31, 2021

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Longtusk Cub and Bristling Hydra were both basically shades. What does a constructed playable traditional shade even look like? 1/1 for B with "B: +1/+1 until eot"? Is that a good card? What if it had a combat ability?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Owlbear Camus posted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=4314&type=card

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

Has there been a competitive constructed playable Shade since Nantuko Shade?

Depending on how you want to define "a shade" there's Knight of the Ebon Legion - it's a small black creature that pumps power and toughness for mana, but it isn't actually creature type Shade nor does it have the exact Shade ability of "B: +1/+1 until end of turn."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sit on my Jace posted:

Depending on how you want to define "a shade" there's Knight of the Ebon Legion - it's a small black creature that pumps power and toughness for mana, but it isn't actually creature type Shade nor does it have the exact Shade ability of "B: +1/+1 until end of turn."

BioThermo posted:

If we're talking about creatures that pump, no. Skyclave Shade saw some competitive top 8s in historic mono-black at the beginning and end of the strixhaven meta (before tainted pact, after time warp) but fell off completely once J21 came out.

I'm gonna define Shade by cards with the word Shade on the type line

Like this:

BioThermo posted:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Dread Shade saw a little play online, but only one person ever played it a major event. https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19359&d=323159&f=ST

This deck is real weird and I'm very annoyed that it's labelled as "Mono Black Control"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Any deck with more creatures then instant/sorcery is automatically not a control deck imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

lol why the gently caress am i getting these strays.

you should play premodern... Deadguy Ale is actually a deck.

has no hymn to tourachs in it, is garbage

(at least the version i found on the internet since I never heard of this before)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Longtusk Cub and Bristling Hydra were both basically shades. What does a constructed playable traditional shade even look like? 1/1 for B with "B: +1/+1 until eot"? Is that a good card? What if it had a combat ability?

You'd have a tack something on to the ability for it to be able to hang competitively, and pump the stat line a bit - either a 2/1 or 1/2 for B. Then juice the ability to something like:

"1B: +1/+1 until eot, and a creature in your hand perpetually gets +1/+1."

or

"1B: +1/+1 until eot and a creature your opponent controls gets -1/-1 until end of turn"

or

"1B: +1/+1 until eot and make a Treasure token"

That last one is probably too much or easily exploitable somehow but you get the idea.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 1, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

evilweasel posted:

(at least the version i found on the internet since I never heard of this before)

premodern is 4th to scourge, so hymn isn't legal because none of its printings are included

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
well, my first cube draft since i stopped playing mtgo like 5 years ago.

felt the pull of monowhite i have no idea if this is gonna be good or not

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

evilweasel posted:

hymn would steamroll the premodern meta

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Three years of Christmas gifts from the in-laws: John Avons surrounding the patent.
My camera on my phone blows.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's nantuko shade whenever there's a land that can add a ton of black mana like coffers or nykthos.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

Three years of Christmas gifts from the in-laws: John Avons surrounding the patent.
My camera on my phone blows.

thought that was the old stack resolution system in the middle

that's cool as hell tho!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here is something that some may find amusing, a yugioh player tries to tell if magic cards are good without knowing almost anything about magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2_kNhulCnQ&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I also just hung some Magic art on my wall. Mystical Archive version of Tendrils of Agony: