Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this a Canada thing or a labor market thing? I'm pretty sure the holiday on-call pay at my job is "You get to keep being overworked and underpaid the same amount as always." I assume that you don't have the lovely overtime exempt thing up there but I'd expect just about any company to choose an ultimatum like that over paying thousands of dollars extra for all the on-call staff unless there's a union involved.

Little bit of both. I have a friend working for a global megacorp who gets $225 USD a week for being on call because their management is EU based. It's a pretty good gig considering he hasn't been paged in 5 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

quote:

Is this a Canada thing or a labor market thing? I'm pretty sure the holiday on-call pay at my job is "You get to keep being overworked and underpaid the same amount as always." I assume that you don't have the lovely overtime exempt thing up there but I'd expect just about any company to choose an ultimatum like that over paying thousands of dollars extra for all the on-call staff unless there's a union involved.

When I was on-call in Sweden, due to EU labor time rules they have to pay you for the time you're on-call, and then also pay for when you're handling an incident (billed per started half-hour). This incentivized people to actually want to be on-call over weekends and holiday and trade shifts to make extra vacation money, but also incentivized the company to actually pay down technical debt so poo poo didn't happen outside of working hours. Given that we were a classified ad website and the country's largest non-news website with a lot of traffic spikes on evenings/weekends, this was pretty nice.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

definitely not a canada thing. over the past two months or so of interviewing, i've asked "what's your policy for on-call compensation" to about 5 or 6 different employers and the answer has been a big fat zilch for the lot of them.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

$newjob compensates on-call stuff very well. $shitjob tried to short-change us when they suggested an on-call rotation setup so everyone told them to gently caress off. Thankfully our labor laws are written in such a way that they can't force you into an on-call rotation if it's not already part of your contract.

Also 22 Eargesplitten, have you considered moving to the Nordics? :allears:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Finland seems pretty cool, ngl. I really want to visit, but $$$$$. Also I already live in a borderline subarctic environment so the cold doesn't bother me. I basically look at the forecast and think it's going to be a warm one when the high is above -7c and the low is above -20c.

E: Does Finland count as Nordic? I know a Finnish guy that is very emphatic that it doesn't count as Scandinavian but I'm not familiar with how exactly that region is split up aside from this:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 31, 2021

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We don't do on-call compensation but we also have unlimited PTO and half day Fridays and on-call is usually quiet so it works out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Finland seems pretty cool, ngl. I really want to visit, but $$$$$. Also I already live in a borderline subarctic environment so the cold doesn't bother me. I basically look at the forecast and think it's going to be a warm one when the high is above -7c and the low is above -20c.

E: Does Finland count as Nordic? I know a Finnish guy that is very emphatic that it doesn't count as Scandinavian but I'm not familiar with how exactly that region is split up aside from this:

Finland is not part of Scandinavia, but it IS part of the "Nordic countries" :haw:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Yeah, Finland is on my to-visit list. Nothing against the other ones, I just have no connection to them so they aren't a priority to visit.

The only places I have been on-call I've been hourly so at least I get paid a bit for that, it seems like that might be a delineation there? Or have people had on-call hourly jobs where they don't get paid for on-call? I've got a part time non-IT side job that involves on-call and I get paid a pittance for that just for being on-call.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

All companies I worked for had 300-400 euro a week on call compensation as well as 1:1 PTO for each call you had to take. On the weekend it’s 1.5-2x PTO.

One place didn’t have on call policies but I picked up stuff outside business hours when I felt like it. It was never expected, always extremely appreciated and they didn’t care about wfh/flexible hours before it was cool (uh mandatory due to corona) so it was kind of a win/win.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

SlowBloke posted:

There are dead cities in southern Italy where you can get some land and be able to not see a living soul for the rest of your life if you want. No potable water, electricity or internet too if you want that paleo life.

so also: Most of Northern Ontario and Quebec, although you'd have plenty of water

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My $lastJob had no on-call compensation. To be fair though, I was WFH and did about 15 minutes of actual work per week so I couldn't complain too much with a straight face. I'd get an after-hours call or two per week, max.

Prior job would give you Friday off on the week you gave up the page. Current job has no on-call responsibilities which is nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I have to go in for more than a couple hours I just take a day off that week

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Prior job would give you Friday off on the week you gave up the page.

This isn't the worst idea in the world (as long as you get paid for that day :v: )

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Geographicallly yes, language wise Finnish is related to Hungarian and not much else. Both of those languages are complete gibberish.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How accurate of a simulation is My Summer Car? This is important. If I can't blind myself by drunkenly shooting off fireworks inside a sauna while taking a break from fixing an old shitbox I'm not interested.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nothing like chumpin off da dock after a good steam. Then you plink a coupla dimes and yer good ta go again

I keep asking my SO to move to Finland but we're both too close to our families to be able to move so far away. I would love to move out of the US.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

happy new year goons

let’s keep yotj going

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Anyone else find on-prem Exchange transport services stop running around 2PM on the dot (PST) today, due to the built-in Microsoft Anti-Malware service and ticking over to the new year, as far as I can tell?

Of course we did, and apparently several of our clients did as well. Disabling of that service fixed the transport failures.

Also happy fuckin new year!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

my new years resolution to not post in this thread for 1 month. wish me luck goons.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.

Coolnezzz posted:

Anyone else find on-prem Exchange transport services stop running around 2PM on the dot (PST) today, due to the built-in Microsoft Anti-Malware service and ticking over to the new year, as far as I can tell?

Of course we did, and apparently several of our clients did as well. Disabling of that service fixed the transport failures.

Also happy fuckin new year!

Set-MalwareFilteringServer -BypassFiltering $True -identity "SERVERNAME"

...for those of you encountering this. Thank god I was only kinda drunk when I got the call for this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

happy new year goons

let’s keep yotj going

I don't know if anyone is keeping score but 2021 seemed by far to be the largest :yotj: for goons. Seems like a shitload of people found new jobs.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

capitalcomma posted:

...for those of you encountering this. Thank god I was only kinda drunk when I got the call for this.

That's exactly right, and agreed on getting called about it before too much booze tonight. No one remembers that this poo poo anti-malware scanning is built into Exchange, it's caused problems before.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

capitalcomma posted:

Oh man, I've been up for 3 hours due to being on support rota since our emails stopped working at midnight UTC. (I'm not IT, so I don't have access to the actual servers, but this should help the people doing hands-on)

A preemptive thanks for this!

Got called at 04:00 :norway: - so it took a while to figure out that the problem wasn't just the one person calling, but a global problem.

EDIT: It worked! :woop:

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 1, 2022

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone moved to another country for an IT gig? If so, how did it go?

My new job may open some doors for me in a year or so and allow for new opportunities in Europe (I'm American). I'm currently living the bachelor life, and not getting any younger, so the idea of living/working abroad for a year or two is exciting. A likely landing spot would be Germany. Figure sell everything, head over there with a suitcase and laptop, and see a bit more of the world on the company dime.

Not me but a friend just moved to Ireland for a new job just to escape. Pay is apparently just a little lower but he says his quality of life has improved dramatically in the few short weeks he's been there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Not me but a friend just moved to Ireland for a new job just to escape. Pay is apparently just a little lower but he says his quality of life has improved dramatically in the few short weeks he's been there.

Ireland is nice, people are generally friendly and there are some absolutely astoundingly beautiful landscapes to explore.

Be prepared that it never really rains heavily, it just rains a bit all the time.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I have visited Ireland multiple times and always heard that it is very different living there versus visiting, which makes sense, but is it a good different or a bad different?

And happy New Year. That time of year where by looking at new LinkeIn requests you can figure out who has a resolution to get a new job.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zscaler not working so our controller can't work from home on Sunday

I can't sign in either so I'll look at it on Tuesday

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
zscaler not working? yeah that is definitely a Tomorrow problem, I’m on PTO until then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

devmd01 posted:

zscaler not working? yeah that is definitely a Tomorrow problem, I’m on PTO until then.

I tried to sign in. Didn't work.

Got an email from another person in IT that said "Hey bob you must not use Zscaler much! You have to sign out and back in every week or so!"

Asked him if he could sign in. Couldn't, he blamed it on AWS.

I looked at it for a few minutes. Error code indicated issues with identity provider and possibly certs. Checked out our ADFS and WAP certs, nothing was expired. Was able to use 2FA to sign into Office 365. Created a ticket with Zscaler and signed out.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Working in IT 3.0: be a team player, login and save the company

alternately

Working in IT 3.0: Please stop calling my dad. I resigned, I didn't die.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

luminalflux posted:

When I was on-call in Sweden, due to EU labor time rules they have to pay you for the time you're on-call, and then also pay for when you're handling an incident (billed per started half-hour). This incentivized people to actually want to be on-call over weekends and holiday and trade shifts to make extra vacation money, but also incentivized the company to actually pay down technical debt so poo poo didn't happen outside of working hours. Given that we were a classified ad website and the country's largest non-news website with a lot of traffic spikes on evenings/weekends, this was pretty nice.

There are no EU Labor laws; every EU member state translates EU directives into local law. These can vary quite a bit from country to country so always check specifically for the country of your choice.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

New year, new me account expiration.

Account expired before Jan 1st but I was still able to log on this morning, connect through the corp network via VPN, logged in to all kinds of federated service until halfway through the morning.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
we lost two service desk people last week because they were apparently covidiot antivaxxers who didn’t meet the company mandate. Too bad, one of them was a really good tech. Final deadline is on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see how many people get termed for non-compliance.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

sixth and maimed posted:

There are no EU Labor laws; every EU member state translates EU directives into local law. These can vary quite a bit from country to country so always check specifically for the country of your choice.

Also, overtime pay and other things are, at least here in Finland, also governed by union agreements. A workplace might also offer better terms but those agreements are the baseline. You can also negotiate yourself better terms if a place really really wants you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The outside consulting company we were using to help us implement some stuff in Azure lost two engineers at the 1st of the year. One of them was the architect on our project and one was the architect on the previous engagement we had with them and therefore had a lot of knowledge we could draw on. Fun times.

We have less than a month left of this engagement and no architect on the project.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Working in IT 3.0: be a team player, login and save the company

alternately

Working in IT 3.0: Please stop calling my dad. I resigned, I didn't die.

That was a fun read.

Deep down I know a lot of these are basically IT pulp fiction but its still satisfying to read.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I was sitting on my team stand-up wondering how my whole team can be 5 minutes late. Finally someone pinged me to let me know the company added today as a holiday last week while I was OOO

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sepist posted:

I was sitting on my team stand-up wondering how my whole team can be 5 minutes late. Finally someone pinged me to let me know the company added today as a holiday last week while I was OOO

HA HA HA

drat.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That was a fun read.

Deep down I know a lot of these are basically IT pulp fiction but its still satisfying to read.

Considering that the original posts have been taken down, and how CEO spun the narrative as "OP is holding us hostage for more money", I can't help but think that a lawsuit is in the works. Godspeed, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having read the whole thread (at least, as it was a few days ago) I think it was a mistake for the OP to make any deals around completing the work. If they were going to walk away, they needed to walk away and have a clean break. The moment they started negotiating with anyone to complete the work, you could probably make an argument that they were trying to extort the company.

It's one thing to refuse work, it's another to use the leverage of an important project with regulatory fines around it to obtain higher compensation for the work. Even if that's not your intent when you started, the argument shifted from "I'm resigning because you are making me work for my vacation which is sacred family time for me" to "well, someone else is paying me a buttload more so I guess I'll work in that time anyways."

That's not to say I personally find anything wrong with what the OP did, just that legally they might have been better off with being done and leaving it at that.