Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Got to level 80 on my reaper, first pass at a Reaper glam. I like the story for what it was, but yeah I definitely think the Sage story was the better of the two.

Orcus was fun as a mini-Zenos, but I feel like he should have acknowledged we've beaten a bunch of really powerful voidsent. Cloud of Darkness at a minimum, and if you've done Shadow of Mhach that's like one whole faction of 'em. I don't think it would have really changed anything but it would have been nice.

Speaking of the mini-Zenos thing, I think retreading ground handled better elsewhere is its weakness. Found family stuff isn't exactly uncommon in FF14, and even the bits about how we're just a crew of wicked sick cold blooded killers with hearts of gold stuff feels like a retread of the Rogue storyline. I guess some of that's just a consequence of only having six quests to explore the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

An alternate set of summons for Ice, Lightning and Water.

I was thinking either that or upgrading to the Eden version of the summons and let us attack people with the Titan car.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I very much want Leviathan, Shiva, and Ramuh summon just doesn't feel complete without the core 6.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TGLT posted:

Got to level 80 on my reaper, first pass at a Reaper glam. I like the story for what it was, but yeah I definitely think the Sage story was the better of the two.

Orcus was fun as a mini-Zenos, but I feel like he should have acknowledged we've beaten a bunch of really powerful voidsent. Cloud of Darkness at a minimum, and if you've done Shadow of Mhach that's like one whole faction of 'em. I don't think it would have really changed anything but it would have been nice.

Speaking of the mini-Zenos thing, I think retreading ground handled better elsewhere is its weakness. Found family stuff isn't exactly uncommon in FF14, and even the bits about how we're just a crew of wicked sick cold blooded killers with hearts of gold stuff feels like a retread of the Rogue storyline. I guess some of that's just a consequence of only having six quests to explore the cast.

Yeah, it was fun but it felt a bit anemic.

They basically didn't talk about the voidsent part of reaper abilities at all, which is kind of weird. Though it is in line with them wanting to disconnect player abilities from quests, since they could end up changing them all later on. I enjoyed the Garlean history lessons, but the characters felt way under-developed.

There just wasn't enough time to get to know any of the Lemures except Drusilla, you only really meet two of them and one ends up dying.
One of my big pie-in-the-sky wishes for this game is for every job to be available from level 1 and have a full questline, maybe only one every 3 or 5 levels to 90 or 99. The jobs added later having so much less story sucks!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I feel like even 20 levels worth of class quests, so like ~10 or so, would help. There's definitely some stuff they could have gone into with the avatar without tying it to class abilities too. It's nature as a manifestation of a contract would be interesting to explore even if we never learn which voidsent we're palling around with. Might be an interesting plot point if we ever end up on the 13th.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Another Summoner upgrade idea: Bahamut upgrades to Shinryu, our friend will never leave us.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

I very much want Leviathan, Shiva, and Ramuh summon just doesn't feel complete without the core 6.

Honestly I feel like if nothing else they should change Fester/Painflare into something that feels more thematically appropriate. You could fit Ramuh and Leviathan in there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I honestly hope drg gets a redesign in 7.0 at this point, or at least a major new mechanic instead of just a new ogcd. It feels like in their process of sanding the rough edges, there's nothing left to the class. The GCD rotation has always been rigid since ARR but they've finally removed every interesting wrinkle from the oGCDs and left the class with no room for thought, only robotic precision.

Now, it's still fun because this is a fun game and you have to deal with the realities of uptime, but I can see why basically every drg player jumped ship to rpr. I would too, if my static hadn't already recruited a rpr to fill a hole before I leveled it and realized how good it was

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Eimi posted:

I would very much like those three to be represented in a player class in some way. Ramuh is my absolute favorite summon and I would love a class based around that gigantic beard.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

having it go like, bahamut -> titan/garuda/ifrit -> phoenix -> shiva/levi/ramuh -> back to bahamut would be a cool change imo.

i love new summoner, but i am kinda bad at anything that isn't ranged damage, and i very much like the modest amount of buttons for my lil brain to hold onto.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

I would very much like those three to be represented in a player class in some way. Ramuh is my absolute favorite summon and I would love a class based around that gigantic beard.

Have Carbuncle shield upgrade to Ramuh beard?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If they give SMN Shiva, Leviathan, and Ramuh, they should arrange them so Bahamut unlocks the umbral-aspected ones and Phoenix unlocks the astral-aspected ones

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chillgamesh posted:

If they give SMN Shiva, Leviathan, and Ramuh, they should arrange them so Bahamut unlocks the umbral-aspected ones and Phoenix unlocks the astral-aspected ones

That would basically be Shiva/Titan/Garuda and Leviathan/Ramuh/Ifrit I think?

Although considering Phoenix’s thing as a divinity is life and new growth, he’s probably Umbral Aspected too, as darkness is creation and change, light is stasis.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Eimi posted:

I hate that you actually have to bind Phantom Kamaitachi instead of it just replacing Bunshin for it's one charge. Super annoying. At least the burst window is smoothed, it feels nice overall.

DRG meanwhile feels much worse to me than it did in ShB, it feels way busier in terms of ogcds, and for some reason they kept Dragon Sight even if it's awkward and annoying. Also like it's new animations are...too extra to me? This is a line not everyone will have but they crossed it for me.

If there's anything I hope for next expansion, they keep the crazy tank abilities to push some of the power of keeping them alive back to them and then give healers actually interesting damaging rotations.

DRG is the same as it was in shb though? All it got while levelling is a bunch of traits and then one extra ogcd. Think it mostly just got kicked down because rpr is dragging the average up and mnk isn't there to make drg look better anymore.

Also got a big laugh at a rpr main saying the new drg animations are too extra.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know I used to think I didn't like playing healer because it was too stressful. Now that I've got White Mage at 90 though I feel like I don't like playing healer because I don't like having to deal with how irritating tanks are. Whether it's the guy who single pulled in the level 87 dungeon because he didn't know what a defensive cooldown or AOE was apparently, or the guy in the level 89 dungeon who spammed clemency every time they got to 80% health, bad tanks just are no fun.

I'll just tank more this expansion and try to increase the numbers of good tanks out there for you healer mains.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

DRG is the same as it was in shb though? All it got while levelling is a bunch of traits and then one extra ogcd. Think it mostly just got kicked down because rpr is dragging the average up and mnk isn't there to make drg look better anymore.

Also got a big laugh at a rpr main saying the new drg animations are too extra.

the big difference between shb and ew dragoon is actually something almost incidental: lance charge is now 60s instead of 90s.

This means that your lotd phases always line up perfectly with lance charge without effort, removing the most interesting part of the class

also I'm a bit sad raiden thrust is automatic now, instead of requiring you to hit a positional. It was like a gold star for doing a good job. Now it's a participation trophy

no idea what eimi is talking about though, the ogcd business is basically identical

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoa... I have been playing DRG this whole time and not realized the raiden thrust change...

Do you even get a potency bonus on those setup attacks for hitting positionals now

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Whoa... I have been playing DRG this whole time and not realized the raiden thrust change...

Do you even get a potency bonus on those setup attacks for hitting positionals now

Yes, the changes made to Samurai Kenki gain are similar in tone. They’ve made hitting positionals about damage increases instead of resource gain as a standard choice now.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in my dream redesign of drg, it alternates between 30-second periods where it plays like hw drg (geirskogul costs a resource which you have an unclear amount of and your goal is to maximize geirskogul uses) and 30 seconds where it plays like shb drg (a period with a large number of ogcds and your goal is to line them up with buffs)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the lance charge change and addition of the 90 skill also seriously spiked the job's APM. I've said it before, but it feels a lot like it did in HW now, where you constantly have logjams of off-globals but all you really need to do is memorize the correct sequence.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
One of the things I am not crazy about with the new Summoner is how "free" so many of the abilities feel. Like when you summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan, you get a bigass attack rolled into the summon. But because it's an insta-cast, it kind of just feels like it happens.

I dunno--I feel like one of the core things about FF Summoners is that a lot of times, Summons cost a lot to cast. I almost feel like the Summon spells themselves should have the long cast timers that are currently on Ifrit's gemshine attacks, especially because the Summon actions also do their signature attacks. Just seems like it would have a stronger sense of tactile feedback that way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On a meta-level it was really cool seeing the Summoner rework in action in Endwalker and regularly having our old ARR enemies turn up in the climactic boss fights to help save the world, felt absolutely perfect thematically

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cephas posted:

One of the things I am not crazy about with the new Summoner is how "free" so many of the abilities feel. Like when you summon Ifrit/Garuda/Titan, you get a bigass attack rolled into the summon. But because it's an insta-cast, it kind of just feels like it happens.

I dunno--I feel like one of the core things about FF Summoners is that a lot of times, Summons cost a lot to cast. I almost feel like the Summon spells themselves should have the long cast timers that are currently on Ifrit's gemshine attacks, especially because the Summon actions also do their signature attacks. Just seems like it would have a stronger sense of tactile feedback that way.

I don't feel like summons have cost a lot to cast in a long time. They've either been free but take time to charge or just been free or as close to free as matters. Like I think the last time we had a traditional "summons a big attack" summon was FF9 and Garnet's spells cost less than Vivi's.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 31, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In more recent FF games summons have been more like limit breaks. You can only do them at specific times, but it doesn't cost anything to do so. I do think having a nominal casting time could make it it feel bigger though. Although at the cost of mobility, obviously.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yoship has a new years message!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/1476931486200725513?t=0V2nbFmoiTYbl86I9oWhDg&s=19

The auto translate did a fine job, but I can't wait for the official translation!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You mean "happy new year"? There's not much to translate unless i'm missing a link to a bigger post or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

You mean "happy new year?" There's not much to translate unless i'm missing a link to a bigger post or something.

There is a link to a bigger post which includes a new poem.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I nearly forgot about the traditional New Years Foreshadowing Poem

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
This year's New Year's mini game is just flat out playing FFIV in FFXIV.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

You know I used to think I didn't like playing healer because it was too stressful. Now that I've got White Mage at 90 though I feel like I don't like playing healer because I don't like having to deal with how irritating tanks are. Whether it's the guy who single pulled in the level 87 dungeon because he didn't know what a defensive cooldown or AOE was apparently, or the guy in the level 89 dungeon who spammed clemency every time they got to 80% health, bad tanks just are no fun.

I'll just tank more this expansion and try to increase the numbers of good tanks out there for you healer mains.

i expect to see you back in a month complaining about honest healers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"I can't stand bad X, so I play X" is why I'm ride or die dps 4eva.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Stormblood Is there a cutscene immediately following this one? I crashed near the end, looked it up on youtube, saw I missed only 10 seconds then skipped when I loaded back in, only for characters to start talking about Alphinaud having gone to the empire. post-Tsukuyomi fight

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 31, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yes. You can check the Unending Journey in any Inn to see what it was.

(You may also want to put that video under url tags instead of video tags. Edit: To clarify, the video tags properly obscure under spoiler tags on the app, but not on the website.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 31, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finally got BRD to 90 and it is... okay. Ladonbite is actually a button that feels good to use and Quick Nock loving sucks; should have had an upgrade to bring back Wide Volley years ago. Other than that, it plays pretty much the same as ever with a few changes (mostly for Radiant Finale purposes). I like the Shadowbite change; Shadowbite has too cool of an animation for how little you were using it in ShB.

Now trying out RDM and I'm liking it more than I thought. I was skeptical on the mana stack stuff at first, but whoever introduced this as a means of letting you use Verholy/Flare/Scorch in your AOE combo deserves a pay raise. Veraero/thunder III also has really drat good animations and I swear Displacement/Engagement were not introduced not only super low level, but actually together, before now. Again, give the people who overhauled RDM like this a raise. Acceleration was awkward but I'm getting more used to it. Melee combos at 50 instead of 80 is also an excellent decision.

I'll fully level RDM, and then BLM, but I am strongly suspecting I'll stick with the Casters + side of BRD/DRG/WAR the more I level.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm with everyone who thinks the reaper quests were lacking. The avatar really is super super underdeveloped, and while the Garleans in exile concept was cool, the execution didn't end up being that interesting to me. To be fair, I think most job quests in this game are pretty unexciting, even some of the ones people rave about, but imo that makes it even more telling that I feel like I was left wanting more.

Clarste posted:

Ninja is funny to me since it's basically half ranged class except for some reason your basic combo requires you to be in melee. They took out the standard melee dot and added in some new buttons to press (that are also ranged) but they don't feel amazingly powerful to me, they just kinda interrupt your basic rotation with slightly more powerful GCDs. Which I'm fine with (except for the Raiju awkwardness) I just find it funny that melee attacks are slowly being replaced with ranged attacks. Maybe the endgame is to convert them into a ranged dps and solve the Scouting gear problem once and for all.

Yeah I agree about ninja feeling more like a hybrid than actual melee dps. If I had to choose how to unhybridize it, I'd definitely sacrifice the melee side before I'd give up the ranged stuff, but I think we're just going to remain in between.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Drusila is cool

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Me when I pop Bloodwhetting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m91RyN9mcuQ&t=48s

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
So it turns out that I am a coward who must be mocked. I fantasia'd to a femroe back in August and adored her but lately I've been looking at glamours that don't feel right on her and today I fantasia'd to an Au Ra girl.

I'm sorry. I was weak.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly femroes kinda suck. they have pretty bad models and a lot of stuff looks bad on them. pretty weak emotes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean, its...fine? Ngl I feel like the obsession with femroes is just as weird as the theoretical obsession with auras/catgirls/idk that it's supposed to be a reaction to