Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed this big dumb game and it will keep you plenty busy if you like what these games are going for. I think it makes smart changes for the most part to the Origins and Odyssey formula while still being appropriately massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped Valhalla early. Is it true that the two optional areas have the best visuals, but are complete poo poo to play?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The two mythology zones are some of the worst in Valhalla. Just totally grinds an already overlong narrative to a halt in preparation for a twist nobody even cares about.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I knew I was right to go with Fenyx: Stupid Subtitle last year.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Fenyx is a much better game in every regard except for possibly visuals.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I found Fenyx to be really tedious a couple hours in, unless you absolutely loving loved Breath of the Wild’s little mini vault puzzles scattered everywhere and wanted a shitload of Ubisoft’s versions of those. Even the world map level activities mostly fell flat for me.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

exquisite tea posted:

The two mythology zones are some of the worst in Valhalla. Just totally grinds an already overlong narrative to a halt in preparation for a twist nobody even cares about.

Don’t understand why they keep pushing this poo poo when it’s the worst part of the game. My guess is that it’s way easier to make Asgard than a somewhat faithful recreation of Paris, Florence or Acre and therefore they are looking to skimp out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At least in Origins and Odyssey they work as a little epilogue and a more fanciful reimagining of the base game you probably haven’t played in a few months. In Valhalla they abruptly short out the ongoing story in England and are just boring as hell, with some of the worst collectathons in the entire series.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked Eivor and the Mystery of the Yellow Longship. Playing as viking detective is kinda fun.
Also:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I really liked Eivor and the Mystery of the Yellow Longship. Playing as viking detective is kinda fun.
Also:

I stumbled across the yellow longship during the very first mission of that questline and Eivor said whose it was, which kind of took the mystery out of the whole thing, especially when every subsequent clue pointed to the same person too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bike tory posted:

I stumbled across the yellow longship during the very first mission of that questline and Eivor said whose it was, which kind of took the mystery out of the whole thing, especially when every subsequent clue pointed to the same person too.

i had the same experience and this is the same basic problem with almost any kind of "detective" sequence in video games. you are almost always expected to discover clues in a specific order and games are really bad at letting you actually use your own reasoning and figure things out on your own.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I haven't played a whole lot of detective games but it seems the solution would be to put in some red herrings and/or have a reveal after youve collected all the clues that makes them fit together. The quest here was just a long procession of each clue saying "yep it's this one dude".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

Many people like Valhalla more than Odyssey. I don't and I think it's worse than your average AC game but I don't regret buying it on day one. You get to walk a pretty world. It may feel more generic than other AC settings and there's very little there apart from the main quest. Still pretty.

i think they both have their pros and cons. i think Valhalla has better story direction and pacing(for as stupidly long as it is) but odyssy has weirder quests and more fun combat and boats are fun. i am curious what next AC will go and i sorta think that them doing multiple worlds and smaller stories/etc is better then 2000 hour long loving around big pretty but slowly emptying worlds.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Odyssey is just way too grindy. Getting locked out of being able to finish main quest related missions because you haven’t spent several hours doing boring side quests is a bad design. Valhalla is pretty free of that sort of thing other than zealots being really hard to take down before you unlock a few key skills and level up a bit.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Valhalla just calls all the side quests main quests. There, problem solved!

People still complain about how many pointless collectibles are there in the world. Hope in the next game devs realizes that people won't complain if those collectibles are not optional.

Clarification: I am being sarcastic here. Valhalla makes it possible to rush through the main quest by making basically all content necessary to complete. Apart from the main quests there are only small stories to tackle as well as the ocean of locations you can visit. I have done a lot of exploration but still finished Valhalla underleveled. Granted, unlike Origins/Odyssey that game doesn't apply buffs to enemies based on level difference, so being underleveled is not that big of a deal. With Odyssey being underleveled is a pain in the rear end, but getting to the right level basically *is* the game. You have to apply very little effort outside of the main quest to have the right level to follow the story, and there are plenty of mechanics to make it enjoyable. If fighting mercenaries or clearing story locations for the XP boost is not enjoyable to you then I don't understand why are you playing that game.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 31, 2021

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Is there NG+ yet?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Earwicker posted:

i had the same experience and this is the same basic problem with almost any kind of "detective" sequence in video games. you are almost always expected to discover clues in a specific order and games are really bad at letting you actually use your own reasoning and figure things out on your own.

GMTK has a good video on it. A lot of it comes down to not letting the format and UI give things away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV_mA2cv_0

The Nostradamus puzzles in AC:Unity (and some of their followups) are better mysteries than the detective stuff because they don't hold the players hand at every step.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just make the next ac game take place in Japanifornia and oh no it turns out Miles Edgeworth is a Templar

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Calaveron posted:

Just make the next ac game take place in Japanifornia and oh no it turns out Miles Edgeworth is a Templar

nah, Miles would be the guy who learns from and works for Templars but when he finds out about the struggle, turns his cloak and agrees to help on the sly because he's a proponent for the truth

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"I want to you to make a hunter's helmet!"
"What if I just glued some random bones to this helmet I have laying around?"
"Perfect!"

This game is ridiculously pretty.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Not sure if it's the new patch or what but I'm getting constant crashes after about 20 mins of playing. Event viewer says this "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This is the only game that does this for me. So frustrating that I can have pretty much a bug free game for the first 100 hours and now I can't even play 20 mins.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

Not sure if it's the new patch or what but I'm getting constant crashes after about 20 mins of playing. Event viewer says this "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." This is the only game that does this for me. So frustrating that I can have pretty much a bug free game for the first 100 hours and now I can't even play 20 mins.

That’s your nvidia gpu driver crashing. Use device driver uninstaller to uninstall it completely, then reinstall and see if that helps.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Arivia posted:

That’s your nvidia gpu driver crashing. Use device driver uninstaller to uninstall it completely, then reinstall and see if that helps.

Yeah, that's the first thing I did. Uninstalled with ddu and reinstalled the driver. Did nothing. Did the same thing and tried an older driver that worked before. Nothing again. I don't think it's my card dying because this is the only game that this happens with. Kind of at a loss.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I read on the ubi forums about turning debug mode on in nvcp. No idea what that setting does but it seems to be working so far. 45 mins and no crash.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Unity I think had the best detective stuff in the series. Syndicates wasn’t bad, but the end stuff got a little silly.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Finally finished the game. Well, pacified England/smooshed the Order/viewed the anomaly video.

I need a break. Gott drat was that a long game.

Will probably pick it back up when Ragnarok comes in a couple months.

It's obviously a transitory situation we're currently in, modern-day-story wise, Basim/Loki is not the main character.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Syndicate should have let Evie have a deerstalker too.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
You're probably all sick of "should I get this game?", but should I get this game? I've never played an assassin's creed game before, I don't care at all about the weird modern day time travel cyber brain stuff, I don't usually like to play stealthy, and I love good, visceral melee combat in historical settings. Basically I want a big fun viking world to run around in and have battles and sword fights, and looking at some of the no hud gameplay looked cool.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

You're probably all sick of "should I get this game?", but should I get this game? I've never played an assassin's creed game before, I don't care at all about the weird modern day time travel cyber brain stuff, I don't usually like to play stealthy, and I love good, visceral melee combat in historical settings. Basically I want a big fun viking world to run around in and have battles and sword fights, and looking at some of the no hud gameplay looked cool.

Stealth is more optional than ever, the modern day segment is probably less than 20 minutes and ACV is the series at its most visceral, welcome aboard :cheers:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

You will likely dig this game a lot.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think Valhalla supports no HUD gameplay the best in the series. Partly because there are very few things on the map you really want to find and thus would need an icon or a pointer. Modern day is OK-ish connecting tissue. It expects you to know about events of Odyssey and Rogue, the game no one played cause it was released on previous console generation simultaneously with Unity. But it's fiiine.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I got this recently and am like 80 hours in, but to anyone thinking Asgard is grindy: just use auto-walk, once you hit a climbable wall hit jump and Eivor also auto-climbs.

Way more relaxing when you can watch the nice vistas while the game climbs for you.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's an auto-walk in that game?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I got this recently and am like 80 hours in, but to anyone thinking Asgard is grindy: just use auto-walk, once you hit a climbable wall hit jump and Eivor also auto-climbs.

Way more relaxing when you can watch the nice vistas while the game climbs for you.

"Auto-walk?" The hell is that?

Must be a PC gamer.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the answers folks. Only one other question then: how well is it optomized? My computer is good, but not great, like I can run red dead 2, but at a level I would call just acceptable. I pass the minimum on can you run it, but not the recommended. Is this game a huge hog or poorly optimized in any specific areas?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'd say it's decently optimized. In case you're worried about GPU then it scales nicely. It has TAA resolution scaling so you can render it in lower resolution without loosing too much image quality. If you could play RDR2 you'll be fine. It's still a PS4 game and you can turn off a lot of the resource hogs, like fog, clouds, blur, reflections - and you'd barely notice.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Awesome. Buying now from epic, it's down to $26 Canadian with their sale + coupon

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

"Auto-walk?" The hell is that?

Must be a PC gamer.

yes indeed it is

afaik all the modern Ubisoft openworlds have it, makes for example grinding in The Division 2 bearable

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
just noticed something, doing Cent main quest for the first time

if you fully upgrade the base Raven Clan armor it looks inverse to the Assassins's Robes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Goa Tse-tung posted:

just noticed something, doing Cent main quest for the first time

if you fully upgrade the base Raven Clan armor it looks inverse to the Assassins's Robes

Absolutely not.