Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Not gonna lie, I truly though that prediction was some stupid fearmongering.

gently caress me.

The fact that Perrotet even felt comfortable enough to say that figure per day out loud near a microphone, much less making it part of a formal statement, means that is the absolute best figure he was presented with and was almost certainly given figures that were a LOT worse than that. Dunno how he's stupid enough to not have realised LNP politicians don't ever have to take a meaningful stand on any issue, ever, unless they want to? The stenographers calling themselves journalists in this country will happily run interference and "what if he actually said or meant this other thing he didn't say or mean, also Labor bad" articles 24/7 for them so why would you ever give out a concrete figure per day that people can very easily compare it against.

Dumb as gently caress even for an LNP politician. Fortunately for him it will make absolutely gently caress all difference at the ballot box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

JBP posted:

People whose families have long abandoned them.

Can confirm, we cut ties with father in law and he has literally no family left in his life now and it's exactly the sort of poo poo he laps up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Goffer posted:

Hospitalisations / icu / ventilators got up to 1268 / 242 / 123 last outbreak.

We're only up to 832 / 69 / 19 so far, but there's a lag of 5-10 days from detection to hospitalization (depending on who's counting), and probably more of a lag between hospital bed to icu to ventilator.

Might be less intense an illness as well, plus a lot of cases are probably vaxed and not suffering as much as they might otherwise, but a few days of 20k cases will push those hospital limits pretty hard.

Yeah, hospitalisation lags infection, death lags hospitalisation. I expect the hospitalisation graph will follow the infection curve and then the death curve will follow that.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

dr_rat posted:

Maths is truly the enemy of us all. :(

Fixed that for you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

Fixed that for you.

I was talking about math singular.

One math.

That is our enemy :colbert:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

dr_rat posted:

I was talking about math singular.

One math.

That is our enemy :colbert:

Which one?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

This sounds suspiciously like something someone who's aligned themselves with that one bad math would say.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
What is the desired or projected end to this from the government? What could they possibly hope to achieve by just letting the virus run rampant? The obvious answer is that there isn't any and that this is all panicked reopening to placate business, but until recently the authorities have been relatively decent at considering COVID to be a threat to public health and safety. Now they've given up and I have to wonder what they were told, what secrets were revealed in some cabinet meeting, to get them to openly embrace this complete rejection of responsibility. Even if you question whether COVID-zero is possible, it's clear that we're only making things so much worse than they need to be, and I have to think that there is at least some motive behind all of this, for this opening to be seen as somehow more preferable than continuing lockdowns. It doesn't need to be good, there is no excuse for what institutions are doing to us in this moment of crisis, but there just needs to be something.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Sierra Madre posted:

What is the desired or projected end to this from the government? What could they possibly hope to achieve by just letting the virus run rampant? The obvious answer is that there isn't any and that this is all panicked reopening to placate business, but until recently the authorities have been relatively decent at considering COVID to be a threat to public health and safety. Now they've given up and I have to wonder what they were told, what secrets were revealed in some cabinet meeting, to get them to openly embrace this complete rejection of responsibility. Even if you question whether COVID-zero is possible, it's clear that we're only making things so much worse than they need to be, and I have to think that there is at least some motive behind all of this, for this opening to be seen as somehow more preferable than continuing lockdowns. It doesn't need to be good, there is no excuse for what institutions are doing to us in this moment of crisis, but there just needs to be something.

I think it's more likely that it's pure incompetence, lack of inability to forward plan and flailing about, but if I had to think of a tinfoil hat conspiracy reason it would be the appearance of Omicron providing an opportunity to 1) gamble that it outcompetes delta and is just a mild cold, vindicating everything pro business live with the virus types have hoped for over the last 2 years and 2) if this doesn't work, claim that the disaster is because Omicron was just so virulent nobody could do anything about it so it's not our fault.

Also years and years of politics teaching the right that never apologising or admitting any mistakes is a strength and you will never face any consequences for this.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 31, 2021

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sierra Madre posted:

Some of the modelling I saw suggests that cases will peak then start declining in late feb. just in time for them to be able to loudly announce declining numbers and take the credit.

Is it a smart plan? No, but it's legitimately the only thing I can think of without assuming they all have fetal alcohol syndrome.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Lockdowns without the goal of covid 0 is tremendously unpopular and I reckon contact tracing and PCR testing has gotten too hard so they've just packed it all in

This was always the endgame when we decided that vaccinations would solve covid. Now the vaccinations are done and it's a case of well, this is what life is like now, good luck boys

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

In the new Palmer United Party Youtube ads, you have a charismaless Craig Kelly reading out a message about how Christmas is a time for family and unity and freedom blah blah blah.

It is so unequivocally terrible. Who is it for? Who likes this? Who sees it and says "yes, I will vote for that fat wooden man?"

No, that’s the old one.
The *new* new one is about New Years.

No, I haven’t watched either.

Why would... anyone?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

abigserve posted:

Lockdowns without the goal of covid 0 is tremendously unpopular and I reckon contact tracing and PCR testing has gotten too hard so they've just packed it all in

This was always the endgame when we decided that vaccinations would solve covid. Now the vaccinations are done and it's a case of well, this is what life is like now, good luck boys

I'm strangely ok with this. It's a pandemic. Peeps gonna die. Sucks. Do what you can to minimise your risk yada yada. Not sure how else it would go in the long term.

Edit- yes the pollies could have put a lot more in place knowing this was coming. They didn't. Hope we vote those lib cunts out shortly.

Aware fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 31, 2021

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Not crashing our health system for everyone including non-covid might have been a start but ymmv

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

The secret is 90% of people in ICU in victoria are unvaccinated and vic labor, nsw lib and federal lib are all taking the same approach because we're highly vaccinated. There is no massive mystery behind this, we weren't vaccinated before, now we all are, this was always the end goal and people are just finding it weirdly hard to deal with because they prefer the previous approach of confining large covid outbreaks to migrant heavy areas with lots of essential workers and then just sending the police in to harass everyone while pretending it's some brilliant sustainable long term solution. Boosters will begin to rollout even more widely next month and we'll be in an even better position than we are now to fight omicron while keeping things open.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Are you really saying that saving minority neighbourhoods and spreading the burden more evenly across society because we know for sure the vaccinations will save us is the Liberal motivation for opening up?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

One doctor in South Africa said the few people she had treated who were getting sick with omicron were all quite young so they had mild cases. That was taken and signal boosted to the loving moon to mean covid was over and Let 'er Rip.

Now we're here, you're welcome Australia.

slorb
May 14, 2002
Maybe the reason none of the sane non-Dom premiers are willing to get off Mr Toad's Wild Ride is they're looking at steady declines in health system staffing numbers since March 2020 and they think flattening the curve won't work because hospitals are going to have no staff in six months anyway.

I can't come up with an alternate explanation for why they're willing to slam the hospitals like this.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Sierra Madre posted:

It's to normalise you and everyone around you catching the coronavirus because there's no neoliberal model out of this

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Happy New Year you bastards.

My partner’s about to go into labour without me but that’s fine because we gotta let’r rip!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

My partner’s about to go into labour without me but that’s fine because we gotta let’r rip!

gently caress, that's rough. Sorry you're in this situation.

Happy New Year everyone.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ShoeFly posted:

This is frankly the least respectful euphemism for an episiotomy I've ever read, and I for one am appalled.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Hashy posted:

It's to normalise you and everyone around you catching the coronavirus because there's no neoliberal model out of this

Pretty much this.

I don't think there is an alternative out of where we are now. Contact tracing is busted, due to overwhelming numbers. Testing is busted due to overwhelming numbers. Isolation isn't helpful if you don't find out you need to isolate until 7 days after exposure. Health care is about to bust due to declining staff availability and overwhelming numbers. States are desperately pushing care of COVID patients on to GPs but providing no resources to do so.

It's hosed, and there are a lot of ways it could have been avoided, but we are beyond fixes now. Lockdowns probably won't make much of a dent, masks will help somewhat and booster shots will hopefully keep the effects of the disease relatively mild. But the virus is becoming endemic, hospitalisations and deaths will inevitably rise.

e: I guess the one thing that PCR testing can help with is identifying a new strain when it appears. God help us if something as virulent as Omicron but as deadly as Delta suddenly starts spreading.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 31, 2021

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
God remember when Western Sydney was locked down but the Eastern Suburbs weren't? Never seen a gov be so honest about who they care about and who must suffer.

Last couple of days have really crystallised my desire to gaol all members of the Liberal party

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

That neo-liberals want you to die for capitalism is such a poorly kept secret, but its still eerie seeing it so front and centre for the whole world to see.

I hope those franking credits were worth it you selfish pack of cunts.

Happy New Year! Going to be a 6 to 8 weeks to remember!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can't post this to r/australia for some reason. I don't know why.

Is this the normal price for a Rapid Antigen Test? I was assured by the Prime Minister and his party it wouldn't cost much. Perhaps it's a price rise for the new year?

How much does it cost elsewhere in Australia? They're free in the UK.

(Please be nice to anyone at the Till, the only one's responsible for this are the LNP and their corporate donors).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Comstar posted:

Is this the normal price for a Rapid Antigen Test?

You saved $7.20 off the normal recommend retail price, i'm not sure what your complaining about. :colbert:

(did a quick google search and while there is a few places selling cheaper, apparently pretty much yeah. :( )

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It might not mean much to the plague states of the south (PSOTS) but QldHealth threw in the towel today

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Comstar posted:

Is this the normal price for a Rapid Antigen Test? I was assured by the Prime Minister and his party it wouldn't cost much. Perhaps it's a price rise for the new year?

(Please be nice to anyone at the Till, the only one's responsible for this are the LNP and their corporate donors).

thats normal-ish in australia but absurdly high compared to some other countries

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Comstar posted:

I got a 10 pack for $99 a week or so ago in central Vic...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

tfw you wake up from the night before and realise that the fever dream you had of Tina Arena singing It's Time to go to Church and then murdering Back in Black and then Charlie Pickering introducing George Michaels Freedom as "the song that sums up how we are all feeling right now", wasn't actually a fever dream

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Don't test, just go cough on your local MP and see if they get sick. If they do and get covid then you will have you answer and will be out of the required iso period anyway so can go on living your life.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Why did Tina arena sing back in black

Why did that happen

Have we not yet suffered enough?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats normal-ish in australia but absurdly high compared to some other countries

I've only ever paid $10 per test.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

starkebn posted:

It might not mean much to the plague states of the south (PSOTS) but QldHealth threw in the towel today

this is really loving depressing given that I work essential retail and my partner works in aged care. They sort of implied they were doing this a couple of days ago but this is even worse than what they said in the press conference last week. I will embrace our absorption into the great plague state known as "the east"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Comstar posted:

That’s cheap for a 5 pack.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I got 20 for $169 on Thursday from a sleep clinic in Ashfield.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

abigserve posted:

Why did Tina arena sing back in black

Why did that happen

Have we not yet suffered enough?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just don’t need a hospital for the next eight weeks, she’ll be right