Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That would be my assumption. It’s also styled as “turbo charged” so I’m sure that will be double super quiet. /s I’m not overly worried about it as the PC wasn’t particularly quiet before and lives by the NAS but we’ll sort it as we come to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

please,,,feeel free to pm me with any questions about blowers you may have. ;)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

Having never owned a blower style GPU, what makes them so loud? Does the single fan need to spin at crazy RPM to push enough air out?

e: this god drat avatar sorry all

nobody would've said anything about your av if you didn't lol

but basically, yes. blower fans spin at very high RPMs to create a large amount of static pressure, and the way they do so generates a fair amount of turbulence usually too. the benefit is that all the hot air is blown directly out the card's rear end, out of the chassis, instead of potentially being recirculated in your pc. The design is also good for cramped internals with multi-gpu setups.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 31, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

nobody would've said anything about your av if you didn't lol

but basically, yes. blower fans spin at very high RPMs to create a large amount of static pressure, and the way they do so generates a fair amount of turbulence usually too. the benefit is that all the hot air is blown directly out the card's rear end, out of the chassis, instead of potentially being recirculated in your pc. The design is also good for cramped internals with multi-gpu setups.

They sound like a hair dryer when fully loaded.

But thats not why I ripped both off and went aftermarket.

My problem was my 670 and 1070 both were hardcoded to never turn the fan fully off. Both had a loud click or hum at idle speeds that was really noticeable over my other silent fans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

spunkshui posted:

They sound like a hair dryer when fully loaded.

But thats not why I ripped both off and went aftermarket.

My problem was my 670 and 1070 both were hardcoded to never turn the fan fully off. Both had a loud click or hum at idle speeds that was really noticeable over my other silent fans.

Mine's that way. What did you end up doing with them?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Mine's that way. What did you end up doing with them?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-III-CrossFire/dp/B007YLUCKQ

$60 on amazon back when things made sense.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Theres pretty much no chance of catching anything on amazon from those telegram alerts lol. Gone instantly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Botters literally buy the cards before the alerts even go out. They are a complete waste of time.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm not entirely sure, tbh. A defect in the video decoding part of the core? If you have another GPU you can test with, you can give that a shot. And do the standard procedure of reseating everything in your computer, ensuring everything is plugged in correctly, doing a clean driver reinstall and/or rollback. Though it sounds like an RMA could be in your future, unfortunately.

Setting PCI-E to 3.0 instead of 4.0 seems to have resolved the problem :shrug:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What have these idiots at nvidia done with the driver/CP now

In 497.29, you can't enable sharpening anymore without also enabling some loving gpu scaling that cuts off 10% of the width on each side of the screen.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
pro tip: don't update to the last driver released before they go on holiday

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

pro tip: don't update to the last driver released before they go on holiday

I'm still on 496.76 but am seriously considering updating unless there are major problems this time around. I've been having a lot of weird graphical glitches in Divinity Original Sin 2 and Hades that I hadn't encountered until recently (missing enemy armor bars, plus bad performance in Baldur's Gate 3 etc)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lady friend wants to build a e-gamer RGB light show pc. What’s best card for
That?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

That?

Honestly I think at this point pretty much anything you can find reasonably? Not a lot of choice available with supply chain issues

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
  • Throw her off a cliff for enabling RGB
  • LOL you think it's possible to actually get a specific GPU?
  • Honestly I think all the high-end GPUs have a lot of RGB vomit modes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alan Smithee posted:

That?

Just get whatever's in her price range and make it up with RGB fans + an RGB GPU support bracket, they're like $15

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this came up in the PC building thread, you know how relatively inexpensive RGB is to add to your case by like the loving yard. rgb isn't bad because it's marking up your parts a ton it's also bad because it's terrible value for stupid novelty RGB too.

a themed colour PC like white or something with an absolute ton of those strips you could set to mood colours or something would be sweet. most card RGB doesn't even look good.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Alan Smithee posted:

That?

Sever

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat struck a nerve

Also which crypto should I mine?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mine deez nuts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fumundacoin

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GPU RGB is pretty underwhelming though, for real. I think you should just try to get a trusty FTW3 Ultra which has that RGB top piece.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
there is one semi-useful case for lighting in a case and it's tying the color to temperature

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

computers are made to be enjoyed. enjoy them however you want imo

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Galax (IIRC same as KFA?) have the best implementation of RGB IMO.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
the flat top urinal special

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shipon posted:

there is one semi-useful case for lighting in a case and it's tying the color to temperature

The one time I did this with my Gigabyte 3080 I ended up BSODing the system lol

Never happened again after I turned it off.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Cross-Section posted:

The one time I did this with my Gigabyte 3080 I ended up BSODing the system lol

Never happened again after I turned it off.

It seems to work pretty well with my ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI and KO-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING.
I have them linked to show GPU temp. Green up to 60°, yellow from 61° to 84°, and then red over 85°.

The only time I've seen it go yellow is when I'm running benchmarks. I hope to never see it go red.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have all the heat sensors in my PC color mapped to my f-keys, and let me tell you, I never look at them

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Turmoil posted:

It seems to work pretty well with my ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI and KO-RTX3070-O8G-GAMING.
I have them linked to show GPU temp. Green up to 60°, yellow from 61° to 84°, and then red over 85°.

The only time I've seen it go yellow is when I'm running benchmarks. I hope to never see it go red.

The default throttle point in Nvidia GPUs is 83C so you won't ever see red unless you override that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Turmoil posted:

I enabled something like this with my ASUS board and it resulted in a constant 15% CPU usage so no.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

my evga FTW3 card has a big RGB light strip along its side, which I turned off because my case doesn't have a window but it seems to be able to do all the colors

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my vision is augmented, where do i buy RGB-IR-UV computer parts

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Everyone keeps wanting to saturate their rig in RGB accessories.

I'm waiting for the day CMYK and Pantone accessories become the norm. :whatup:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RGB is so played out that I'm surprised nobody has done a Vantablack or similar build as far as I can tell

Reject rainbow puke embrace V O I D

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Because Amish Kapour sucks rear end

I’m not correcting that

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

carry on then posted:

I enabled something like this with my ASUS board and it resulted in a constant 15% CPU usage so no.
I did see where a few years ago that was a problem with LightingService (32 bit), but they seem to have fixed that. Mine stays around 0.4%.

I don't mind the subtle lighting that I have now and it's about as much as I care for.
I have friends that the thought of not having a light show going on in their case is unthinkable.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Because Amish Kapour sucks rear end

I’m not correcting that

There's pretty good alternatives like Musou Black now, which anyone can buy easily

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
So, it's 2022. Has the GPU supply issue been fixed yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

all day i've been thinking that the equivalent to a 3050 in the current stack starts at six hundred and forty five loving euros and making this face