Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody posted earlier in the thread that halfway through the game the writer left and was replaced. I think it shows. The setup was great and the characters too. But yeah, it goes nowhere and then just ends.

Also, you better not be talking bad about Maurgueritte, she’s the best part of the entire game.
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The writer got replaced and if you check out his Reddit account the reasons why are pretty obvious.

e:

quote:

A Counter-Narrative
Let's suppose for sake of argument that the worst of our fears are true regarding how the social structures on our planet are set.

Highly competent people born into well-connected families are exercising influence behind the scenes to set global narratives/mythologies/ideologies in order to eliminate personal threats and maintain or grow their relative power, at the expense of everyone else. These people are at best misguided and self-righteous in believing they know what's best for everyone, and will stop at nothing to achieve their ends (because in their heads it's right). At worst they are psychopaths who don't even try to justify the harm they cause in pursuing their goals.

Let's say all that is true (and I think it is). Probably it has always been true (with arguably different quantities of power distributed differently at different times).

One might say: but OP, things are getting worse. Technological development like mass media, nuclear weapons, the internet, AI, robotics etc is allowing greater global power to be concentrated in fewer hands. And one might be right.

AND AT THE SAME TIME. I put it to you that if all that is true, then there is also an equal and inverse reaction which we are not looking at so much.

The more power we suppose is held by these elites, the more power we must necessarily assume is held by the people.

Let's say the pandemic was manufactured somehow in order to facilitate the control of the global population. Well, there are is a growing and significant portion of the population who will refuse the vaccine https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3099792/coronavirus-one-third-americans-would-refuse

Let's say the MSM is partly designed to cover up global paedophile rings. Well, they got complacent, and now (partly thanks to MSM) middlemen like Epstein, Maxwell and Prince Andrew are losing power and public confidence. https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1332529/prince-andrew-news-duke-of-york-royal-family-latest-jeffrey-epstein-ghislaine-maxwell

Let's say education and corporations are conspiring not to educate children but to train them as obedient workers. Well, there is a relative uptick in demands for shorter working hours and provision of mental health support.

Let's say powerful elites want a NWO and a fully surveilled, medicated populace who pose them no threat.

The reason they don't have that is because everywhere they turn there are capable, kind, empathic people who resist them. And there are more of us than of them. That is why there is still hope.
the last post on his account from 9 months ago

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 9, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I enjoy Subnautica Below Zero because it’s more Subnautica. I want to explore, find resources, build new and cool things, explore creepy underwater alien worlds, and try not to get eaten along the way. Story enjoyment is nice but secondary to that experience for me. They hit a home run with the story in the first game, it was always going to be a hard act to follow, even if the writer wasn’t replaced.

I hope we get a Subnautica 3 some day, and I’ll buy it day one.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah, BZ was still worth it because there are no alternatives if you like the Subnautica experience

Still there's no denying the whole game was a huge step down from the first one. I'm hoping they actually follow through with the unified code base thing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
With a few minor changes to the story, and a re-work of the ice zone, I think BZ would end up as the superior game.

People seem to ignore all the major flaws of the first game, while only focusing on the flaws of BZ, in my opinion.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Terrible writing aside, I think BZ could have done with a slight rework/expansion of all existing zones. More than anything I would have liked to see the entire glacial basin removed and one more large biome added below the crystal caves as the final area.

I have been chasing the dragon for that feeling the first time actually trekking into the lost river in the first Subnautica, and then finding a deeper and more dangerous area below that. Still never found anything close

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The writer got replaced and if you check out his Reddit account the reasons why are pretty obvious.

e:

the last post on his account from 9 months ago

I love how in one linebreak it goes from "yeah, pretty basic observation about power structures in human history" to corona conspiracy that doesn't connect at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The composer for OG Subnautica got fired, too, though he had finished the score by that time.

Ben Prunty was hired for BZ. He's good, though I haven't heard his BZ work. Dude's done FTL, Into the Breach, and Darkside Detective.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They should make a sequel with the exact same map where you’re the Alterra rep sent to gene-mine the whole thing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

They should make a sequel with the exact same map where you’re the Alterra rep sent to gene-mine the whole thing.

I’d settle for a prequel with the Torgal family/Marguerite and her :black101: fight with a reaper.

BZ brought in bad weather, which was a nice touch. The first game I was paranoid about storms and such for a while after reading some of the Torgal’s logs, but those just never materialized.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Holiday Discord icon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I finished the base game today. It was an enjoyable game for sure, despite the jank.

My main issue would be that the game really doesn't direct you very much in terms of how to finish the story. I basically had to read ahead about what you need to do, because otherwise you just have to poke around, and when you get down into the lower depths that gets pretty dangerous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I finished the base game today. It was an enjoyable game for sure, despite the jank.

My main issue would be that the game really doesn't direct you very much in terms of how to finish the story. I basically had to read ahead about what you need to do, because otherwise you just have to poke around, and when you get down into the lower depths that gets pretty dangerous.

That is the point of the late stages of an exploration game, yes. You're not going to help yourself by staying safe in the shallows...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Anyone play Stranded Deep? It seems similar...?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Anyone play Stranded Deep? It seems similar...?

I enjoyed it. It's probably the closest I've come to recapturing the fresh Subnautica experience. The sharks gave me similar reaper thalassophobia vibes and building a fully stocked raft is a lot like building out a cyclops base.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The combat that’s necessary to complete Stranded Deep is the jankiest poo poo ever and I only completed it out of spite

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How do you write on Subnautica and then disregard a pandemic?

OgNar posted:

I never figured out where everyone went in BZ, did they all leave because of one death?
Did somehow everyone die and I just never found that tablet?

Well, the base was already going downhill beforehand. Most of the original scientists got reassigned to a nowhere post doing nothing jobs to keep them out of the way. And then Margaret blew up Omega Lab, destroying the last active research project and maybe killing more people.

Possibly Alterra might've also wanted to do some covering up after what happened, but that part's unclear.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

From what I read, the team wasn't even specialized for microbiology research at the level that Kharaa demanded but they got repurposed when the frozen leviathan was uncovered because they were there and it was cheap. 4546B is still on the rear end end of the universe, after all, and ships are expensive. Since Alterra was sending out a ship for the incident investigation then it was just efficient to bring all the samples that they cared to take back with them along and pull out the people because the previous research was scientifically interesting but not profitable and hey the ship was there anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Made my hardcore escape just now. Never really had any near miss death moments. Though that drat sea dragon outside the primary facility snuck up behind my prawn and scared the loving poo poo outta me, but I got away easily.

Was fun, might try hardcore below zero next. Can’t believe you don’t even get an achievement for it, lol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, my first attempt at BZ hardcore ended spectacularly with my dumbass getting roasted alive. I went after some diamonds early on in one of those active volcano vents near the delta station. I knew it was dicey but I didn’t pack enough med kits and forgot how fast getting roasted depletes your health. Gonna try again and maybe wait for a prawn suit before going after them!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cartoon Man posted:

Lol, my first attempt at BZ hardcore ended spectacularly with my dumbass getting roasted alive. I went after some diamonds early on in one of those active volcano vents near the delta station. I knew it was dicey but I didn’t pack enough med kits and forgot how fast getting roasted depletes your health. Gonna try again and maybe wait for a prawn suit before going after them!

My first hardcore (not bz) run died to harvesting acid mushrooms at low health.

I made a beeline for grow beds as soon as I started thinking I was being clever

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Take 2 is going much better. I got my first couple diamonds by taking my new seatruck to 150 meters in the twisty bridges trench, then free diving to the bottom. One of those rear end in a top hat squidhead giant sharks took a bite outta me but I was quick with the first aid kit and got the hell outta there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cartoon Man posted:

Take 2 is going much better. I got my first couple diamonds by taking my new seatruck to 150 meters in the twisty bridges trench, then free diving to the bottom. One of those rear end in a top hat squidhead giant sharks took a bite outta me but I was quick with the first aid kit and got the hell outta there.

One piece of advice: Pay attention to cold damage once you start running into it. It's pretty easy to deal with if you pay attention, but there are a handful of spots where you can realize you've run just a few steps too far a few seconds too late.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 21, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I tried heading the cold suit off at the pass by pre getting fur but they thought of this and no Pengu bot is allowed in Margs base to harvest her pet.

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
I know I'm late to the game... I'm still playing Subnautica and haven't touched BZ. But I randomly found a cuttlefish egg and it has made everything whimsical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRh8vRt6evw

astronautism
Oct 3, 2002
Now I just gotta find that lost river research place

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Okay, where the hell am I supposed to go from the bridge area to finish the story in BZ? I managed it in beta, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and nothing is pointing me anywhere that I can see.

I swear I've prawned and foxed all over the place forever. BZ is fun but this above ground snowy area sucks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vasler posted:

Okay, where the hell am I supposed to go from the bridge area to finish the story in BZ? I managed it in beta, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and nothing is pointing me anywhere that I can see.

I swear I've prawned and foxed all over the place forever. BZ is fun but this above ground snowy area sucks.

The body parts that you need are located in the following places:

1: Deep in a giant spore filled trench below the lily pad area.

2: At the far side of the snowy tundra area that is accessed by fixing the bridge. If giant worms are attacking your in the right place. Bring your prawn suit to cheese it, gently caress the snowfox. Drop a beacon at the entrance to the area and keep heading as far away from it as possible. Look for green lights that signify architect stuff.

3: Deep in the underwater purple crystal caves guarded by shadow leviathans. Best entrance to the area is located under Marguerite’s underwater pirate base. Hopefully you’ve gotten that far. Look for a central cathedral type area in the purple crystal section.

Once you’ve got all three parts: bring the Ingredients to make the body back to the purple caves and keep exploring till you find the entrance to the red crystal caves. Far at the back of that final area is the facility to make the body. Once you made the body head to the portal behind outpost Zero.

Your optional objective is to cure the frozen leviathan. You get the recipe for that in a hidden robot penguin cave in the area that has the stalkers. All you get is an achievement and a bit of story closure for your dead sister that the writers phoned in…

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 1, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently I totally bypassed the frozen leviathon part :lol:.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So did a bunch of people. That's part of the knock against the game and clear evidence that they changed writers partway through.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The part that I got stuck on was I somehow missed the scannable hydraulic fluid on the bridge so I spent hours searching every lab and dig site for the drat recipe before googling it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never even thought of taking the prawnsuit on land. That makes a whole lot of sense, I guess. You can already cheese things enough with the Snowfox since the snowworms barely do any damage to you, and they just kinda knock you off the snowfox, you can get a frantic but unchallenging experience finding and getting right back on the snowfox every time you get thrown off. I kinda though while playing that since there was a datalog talking about thumpers

The land areas do suck though. It's weird how so much of the game is big, open water areas, but then they want you to go throw winding box canyons. They didn't need to make the land very open, since players are often satisfied with walking slower speeds on land than swimming in water, but you can't make it so closed just for no reason when the rest of the game is so different.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Cartoon Man posted:

The body parts that you need are located in the following places:

1: Deep in a giant spore filled trench below the lily pad area.

2: At the far side of the snowy tundra area that is accessed by fixing the bridge. If giant worms are attacking your in the right place. Bring your prawn suit to cheese it, gently caress the snowfox. Drop a beacon at the entrance to the area and keep heading as far away from it as possible. Look for green lights that signify architect stuff.

3: Deep in the underwater purple crystal caves guarded by shadow leviathans. Best entrance to the area is located under Marguerite’s underwater pirate base. Hopefully you’ve gotten that far. Look for a central cathedral type area in the purple crystal section.

Once you’ve got all three parts: bring the Ingredients to make the body back to the purple caves and keep exploring till you find the entrance to the red crystal caves. Far at the back of that final area is the facility to make the body. Once you made the body head to the portal behind outpost Zero.

Your optional objective is to cure the frozen leviathan. You get the recipe for that in a hidden robot penguin cave in the area that has the stalkers. All you get is an achievement and a bit of story closure for your dead sister that the writers phoned in…

I was able to find the frozen leviathan in the beta but I can't find it in the release version. This snow area is ridiculous. I'm done with the body part stuff but I wanted to get whatever closure I could before I finished the game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s an overly complicated guide:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/subnautica-below-zero/Finding_and_Curing_the_Frozen_Leviathan

Don’t use the snowfox, just take the prawn.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/HannaBarberaCap/status/1477142558371368960?t=Ec4BFVhfU66K6VJ3oTajrA&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pod 6 are still jerks, no matter where in time they are :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Pod 6 are still jerks, no matter where in time they are :colbert:

I still think the thread title should be Subnautica: Well, pod 6 WAS jerks...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I couldn’t help myself. Started a hardcore run. Played six hours last two days, already have moonpool, seamouth, and about to start going deep. My favorite part in the game. By avoiding most radio transmissions, I’ve seemed to actually avoid advancing the story too much? Which honestly, is fine with me.

One question. Never used the bio reactor before. What’s the best things to put into it to power my base?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I usually go with an under-water grow bed with a kelp in it. It’s not the most efficient by a long shot, but who cares when you have infinite fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ardeem posted:

I usually go with an under-water grow bed with a kelp in it. It’s not the most efficient by a long shot, but who cares when you have infinite fuel?

I have a grow bed with the bulbs you need for the gel. I’m throwing those in right now