Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Watched the second episode and Jesus Christ I always manage to forget just how much the staff characters yammer in this game.

Related to that you might wanna lower the game volume a bit because of that, hard to hear the commentary when Bradford or Tygan starts to yak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Eeey, you're on this poo poo again. Greets Jade and looking forward to whatever curveballs WotC provides. :getin:

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Oooooooooooooh shieeeeeeet, it's another Jade Star Patented Let Play, on this like Donkey Kong.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The fake Greek lettering on the posters is really bothering me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I tried to use the Propaganda Generator to make up a character or two, but I didn't have any fun options like a SPARK or hardly any customizations. Do you have to unlock them in the main game to get any options other than basic bitch?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh it's on

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, I've been away visiting family (still visiting family, even) and didn't see this post come up; is it too late to throw myself in the pile again?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I eagerly await to see what disasters we've got for the WotC units.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Canuck-Errant posted:

Aw man, I've been away visiting family (still visiting family, even) and didn't see this post come up; is it too late to throw myself in the pile again?

It has only just started so I think you have plenty of time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What were the repeater highlights from the last LP? I'm inventing memories I'm not sure I had about it. I think he killed a Sectopod in the SPARK mission and I'm vaguely sure he got the Viper or Archon bosses with them too at one point?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RareAcumen posted:

What were the repeater highlights from the last LP? I'm inventing memories I'm not sure I had about it. I think he killed a Sectopod in the SPARK mission and I'm vaguely sure he got the Viper or Archon bosses with them too at one point?

Archon boss, at a moment when it was going to do Bad Things otherwise.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxTplOEzI4tDDjGyyq9rCgzqRnTeMVad7O

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

God, that was an amazing moment, I hope we get more Guava freakouts like that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He had been so excited for dead soldiers before that happened.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Archon boss, at a moment when it was going to do Bad Things otherwise.

Nice, so I did remember one of them! I looked in the old thread and found a random video of him getting a lucky repeater proc on a normal Archon and couldn't remember for sure if it happened to another one or if that was it. Did it happen to a sectopod with a ton of health left at some point too or am I just thinking of this video still forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDYHMjDj88

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Nice, so I did remember one of them! I looked in the old thread and found a random video of him getting a lucky repeater proc on a normal Archon and couldn't remember for sure if it happened to another one or if that was it. Did it happen to a sectopod with a ton of health left at some point too or am I just thinking of this video still forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDYHMjDj88

It might have happened more often but the only one that mattered in a memorable way was against the archon ruler.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't know if I'd go that far, but the archon ruler definitely made it a lot harder to remember the others

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
These early missions always feel a bit hairy because even the basic grunts are legit dangerous. Even for Jason Voorhees.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Just the other night I had a squaddie I'd dragged along execute a full health Chryssalid King (Mod enemy, 33 health with a bunch of armor) with a Shieldbearer shield on. With an overwatch shot and a basic repeater. That was quite a moment.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Nordick posted:

That was quite a moment.

But not a guava moment.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

RareAcumen posted:

I think he killed a Sectopod in the SPARK mission

This also happened. Pretty sure it saved some characters from dying.

Eagerly awaiting each episode. This is probably the fifth lp I've watched of this game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Make yourself a snack, grab a rootbeer and get comfortable. This is going to be a long one since it is three half length missions back to back for the sake of a story arc.

Also it didn't give me an end of mission poster opportunity and that makes me sad.

So relax, watch the video, enjoy, and then post about why Guava is wrong and how Sisko is the best Star Trek Captain.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bundaberg (I pronounce it boondaberg) does make good ginger beer. I got it regularly until I discovered Fentimans, which goes straight to the sinuses.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

CzarChasm posted:

I tried to use the Propaganda Generator to make up a character or two, but I didn't have any fun options like a SPARK or hardly any customizations. Do you have to unlock them in the main game to get any options other than basic bitch?

This is something I'd like to know as well, my dreams of submitting Bolo Santosi were dashed by the lack of a Reaper option on my end.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Almost never actually matters but what the Reaper Skill actually does is for a kill shot the Chance to Reveal does not increase.
Optimally this just means you can keep it at 0 since that is the starting value. However if you shoot and do not get a kill the chance increases and every shot in now made at that increased chance to fail.

Not a situation that comes up much since you have to both miss or fail to kill a target and then not fail the reveal check.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I think the first two purifiers are scripted so the first kill on purifiers doesn't explode, but the second one always does. So it wasn't Jade's luck there because we're in tutorial town still.

Edit: You can't remote start claymores. But they are a free action to deploy.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 4, 2022

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Assassin is most fun to fight and scariest but I like Hunter the best as a character and keep him around as long as possible. What a fun guy

Also I have never done one of these tutorials where the Assassin hasn't run away, I assumed it was scripted but it's possible to kill her?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

Assassin is most fun to fight and scariest but I like Hunter the best as a character and keep him around as long as possible. What a fun guy

Also I have never done one of these tutorials where the Assassin hasn't run away, I assumed it was scripted but it's possible to kill her?

Not sure though considering how the event wraps up I think it would most likely be scripted.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hunt11 posted:

Not sure though considering how the event wraps up I think it would most likely be scripted.

Yeah I posted that before finishing the video, I forgot how it ended. I guess you can probably remove her health but she'll still teleport away.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My first game of WotC had my assassin be immune to explosives, on top of the immunity from overwatch. That was fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
More comments. For Claymores I don't think Reapers can activate them but they can be used to widen an explosion. As in one explosion hits the claymore which makes it go off and hit more poo poo.

Edit: For a certain eventuality you want as many rangers as possible.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 4, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Random comments on the video:
-I just love that the WOTC resistance faction voice acting is basically a Star Trek TNG reunion. It's subtle enough that you can miss it, but it's a cute little Easter egg.
-I find the Lost to be kind of hit or miss. Sometimes, they're incredibly interesting, adding tension to the mission or just flavor as they hassle both you and ADVENT. But I found they'd often be more of an annoyance than really impacting my ability to get the mission done. They're probably a net positive in terms of being added to the game, just that sometimes in missions, they seem to fall flat.
-By comparison, the Chosen are a freaking awesome addition to the game. I hope you write up a nice post about each of them along the way because I'd love to understand more about how they generate their strengths/weaknesses, how to address said strengths/weaknesses, and just generally reading your thoughts on handling them.
-Since you mentioned I Am Legend: The movie didn't really go into their ability to reproduce, but the original book storyline did have them forming a society and learning to reproduce. In fact, this is kind of the entire point of the book's title - Neville eventually realizes that the vampires are not merely mindless undead but are effectively a new race that's going to replace humans, and he's going to end up being the monster of their legends.

Bruceski posted:

Bundaberg (I pronounce it boondaberg) does make good ginger beer. I got it regularly until I discovered Fentimans, which goes straight to the sinuses.
I can't speak for Bundaberg's ginger beer because ginger beer is basically the only type of craft soda I don't like, but their root beer is quite tasty.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, to complete the Star Trek appearances in this video, Betos is voiced by none other than Denise Crosby, aka Tasha Yar from TNG. Unlike the other three, Crosby is a little hard to identify because Betos is given all those voice filters. Yes, Mox also has the same voice filters, but Jake Solomon and crew told Michael Dorn "do your Worf voice" which cancels out the voice filtering because it is so easily identifiable.

Leal posted:

My first game of WotC had my assassin be immune to explosives, on top of the immunity from overwatch. That was fun.
The real dickpunch combination for a Chosen is melee immunity and weakness to close range attacks with Templars being the rival faction. Just flat out neuter one source of high damage (and turn a character class into dead weight on missions where said Chosen appears) and force you to rely on shotguns for your primary source of bonus damage.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Veloxyll posted:

Edit: You can't remote start claymores. But they are a free action to deploy.

No, they take an action. It's just not turn-ending, so if your Reaper doesn't move they can toss it and then blow it up right away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MagusofStars posted:

-I just love that the WOTC resistance faction voice acting is basically a Star Trek TNG reunion. It's subtle enough that you can miss it, but it's a cute little Easter egg.

The cast generally like and work well together and a lot of them share an agent, which is why they tend to show up in clumps.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I did not realize Betos was Tasha Yar. Very cool.

We'll get around to the third faction eventually, but there isn't a big scene for the Templars, and it's fun to tell you now that the leader Geist is voiced by John de Lancie, aka Q.

War of the Chosen is Star Trek the whole way down.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: The Assassin is guaranteed to have Shadowstep if you activate the Lost and Abandoned mission. However, it is only if you activate Lost and Abandoned. If you disable that mission, her strengths are randomized like anyone else.

EDIT: Fun Fact #2: The Chosen do not Kill soldiers most of the time. Their damaging attacks will automatically cause a soldier to bleed-out rather than die. They have a potential strength (possibly mod-added? I don't know) called "Bloodthirsty" which removes this auto-bleedout, in the process calling attention to the fact that said auto-bleedout normally exists in the first place.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 4, 2022

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I like how Jade's poster is already up in the bar by the end of the mission. Guess the troops are thirsty for the Commander...?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Canuck-Errant posted:

I like how Jade's poster is already up in the bar by the end of the mission. Guess the troops are thirsty for the Commander...?

Resistance Radio ain't the only one with a crush on Jade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Bruceski posted:

Jade did pronounce it correctly (Bun-dah-berg). Made by the Bundaberg Distillary, who also make rum! Bundy was mostly known for that until sometime in the 10's when they started moving into other soft drinks, not just ginger beer. But ginger in Australia, especially along that coast, is pretty well known. I know of a place called the Ginger Factory that my family lives near.