Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Quick bits of Roger Tech last night - well, sorta. I've got soooooo much poo poo in storage that it takes a minute-plus to open up the mechbay to reassemble something, or to confirm my build and get it in the queue.

https://i.imgur.com/iWnSdC6.mp4

But, I did take my superheavies and do stupid builds, so I can be entirely disgusting when I go up against the SH tanks of the Large Military Building flashpoint. Mothball is going to be a flying Katyusha, vomiting missiles down from above. The Monster is jumping five hexes and melting everything with four Disco Lasers. Raczilla is HAGzilla, 4x 30s.

And Mekagojira? Just a couple Clan Gauss.

And the BFG9000.

OK, I really should have gone with the biggest, nastiest PPC for this - I mean, Godzilla homage and all - but the color of the shot is soooo *awesome*...

Took all but the Mothball (still in progress)on a quick pubstomp against the local .gov. All but the Monster are ridiculously slow - these are not the mechs for chasing down convoys - but even without shooting, seeing them just soak Gauss shots and go "that's nice, dear" is ridiculous.

Also took my headshot Marauders out for a couple quick duels. First duo, where the Cyclops got the AC20 (and arm mounting it) deleted clean off before sensors even came online. Then, the Solo was facing a Test Pilot, who are built specifically to be more dangerous and can have skills in excess of normal maximum of 10 - all the way up to 20, can be multiple skills overmax, and this is all before any mech affinities, quirks or hardware is taken into account.

That one was a Zeus "Stacy", and this let it soak a lot of the 4x PPC damage.

Not enough, though. :commissar:

Still no Kurgan build, no slots available. :smith: I'd throw that Long Sword on the King Crab, but I think hand-held weapons actually require, y'know, *hands*. And probably a real engine core instead of 100 tons, since all the real mobility is from the Mechanical Jump System <SPROING!> and it just needs to turret around on the next turn. (Jump 10, so you get some high evasion, but you end up facing whatever direction you jumped.) Also isn't good for DFA, otherwise it's be bouncing around dropping on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just had the dropship that lands at the end of a mission crush and kill my mech and pilot, who knew that was a thing.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah if you see little red dots on the floor when you try to move in there never end your turn in them. Enemy drop ships that drop reinforcements can land and crush your mechs too so if you see red never end your turn in there because you don't know when it will trigger. The AI can get crushed too, i haven't seen it in a modded game but in vanilla i've had AI mechs end their turn in the wrong spot and get squished!

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yup, those little warning symbols also pop up where something is about to explode bigtime - in Target Acquisition missions, the base and (very close) surrounding area is marked as much, for when the incoming fire gets there. Vanilla storyline, you'll see this in the opening tutorial mission, as some of the buildings get exploded. The mine raid on Lavaworld (with three materials silos to capture) has 'em too, if you fail to keep a silo from going boom.

So, stay out of the You Will Die Here zones. If you can kite enemies in before the doom strikes, it's hilarious - just had a dropship land on a pristine enemy Hunchback the other night - combat log showed 10k damage per location. :unsmigghh:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ygolonac posted:

Quick bits of Roger Tech last night - well, sorta. I've got soooooo much poo poo in storage that it takes a minute-plus to open up the mechbay to reassemble something, or to confirm my build and get it in the queue.
It still blows my mind that in TYOOL 2021 software exists that can take tens of seconds to parse a few kilobytes of text/data.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zephro posted:

It still blows my mind that in TYOOL 2021 software exists that can take tens of seconds to parse a few kilobytes of text/data.

Pretty sure with 2300+ mechs and over 1k vehicles alone, it's not "a few kilobytes". gently caress only knows what the final count for components is...

(Even if I'm nowhere near 100% ownership.)

You got your AC2, five different fancy branded AC2 variants, two different HVAC2s, three LBX AC2s, a Light AC2, three Rotary and two Heavy Rotary AC2s, the Double AC2 (Quicsell), three UAC2s, and whatever the gently caress this is.

Oh, and the Quicsell "Gauss" fires AC2 ammo as well.

You want to :gonk:, go check the wiki for all the Urbie variants you might see - there's even a nuke carrier :ohdear:.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nah in BTA i only got like 20+ mechs and not a huge variety of weapons and opening my storage is basically death because of the huge memory leak that accompanies it. It took me 22 minutes to find 3 mechs and assemble them then strip them but apparently that's because i only have 8 gigs of ram.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yeah, thank that build of Unity for that, really. Single-threading doesn't help much, but running it from an SSD and using Process Lasso to tweak the core affinities can help. (Also a huge pagefile, but that's probably Roger Tech-specific.)

The bigger gripe I have about Unity is that all the maps aren't just maps, they're actual Unity objects, built with assets and tools that HBS can't release for modders to use. :smith: We *desperately* need more maps... even with map settings to increase by 100% where possible, I get urban maps where it's the same spawn locations, and I just cruise-control through the fight for the most part. (Mostly with flashpoints, they don't allow the bigger maps, and don't allow manual drop choice.)

Or even regular missions. "Oh hey, desert Blackout. Spawn in, move to first target, fight if it happens, move to second target, fight, extract for loot phase." :yawn: And it's the same map from the first actual merc mission in vanilla storyline, too - target one is the little installation of the miners who hired (and backstab) you, second target is where you send Dekker to die kill the turret generator, and the one that's never used for Blackouts is the actual HQ for the corpo mining scum that you blow to poo poo.

For certain, if custom maps were doable, there'd be umpteen tons to total poo poo ("huge empty plain full of turrets and assault mechs have fun!"), but the better modders would produce *fun*.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ygolonac posted:

https://i.imgur.com/iWnSdC6.mp4

But, I did take my superheavies and do stupid builds, so I can be entirely disgusting when I go up against the SH tanks of the Large Military Building flashpoint. Mothball is going to be a flying Katyusha, vomiting missiles down from above. The Monster is jumping five hexes and melting everything with four Disco Lasers. Raczilla is HAGzilla, 4x 30s.

And Mekagojira? Just a couple Clan Gauss.

And the BFG9000.

OK, I really should have gone with the biggest, nastiest PPC for this - I mean, Godzilla homage and all - but the color of the shot is soooo *awesome*...

Took all but the Mothball (still in progress)on a quick pubstomp against the local .gov. All but the Monster are ridiculously slow - these are not the mechs for chasing down convoys - but even without shooting, seeing them just soak Gauss shots and go "that's nice, dear" is ridiculous.

Also took my headshot Marauders out for a couple quick duels. First duo, where the Cyclops got the AC20 (and arm mounting it) deleted clean off before sensors even came online. Then, the Solo was facing a Test Pilot, who are built specifically to be more dangerous and can have skills in excess of normal maximum of 10 - all the way up to 20, can be multiple skills overmax, and this is all before any mech affinities, quirks or hardware is taken into account.

That one was a Zeus "Stacy", and this let it soak a lot of the 4x PPC damage.

Not enough, though. :commissar:

Still no Kurgan build, no slots available. :smith: I'd throw that Long Sword on the King Crab, but I think hand-held weapons actually require, y'know, *hands*. And probably a real engine core instead of 100 tons, since all the real mobility is from the Mechanical Jump System <SPROING!> and it just needs to turret around on the next turn. (Jump 10, so you get some high evasion, but you end up facing whatever direction you jumped.) Also isn't good for DFA, otherwise it's be bouncing around dropping on everyone.

Out of curiosity, have you flown out to the eastern rim and seen the actual pirate nation's units (not pirates as in the black market group, but the actual pirate lords/clans/whatever)? Because I think you'd be entertained by what some of their rare units have to offer. They're basically the equivalent of WH40K's Orks of Roguetech, complete with goofy janky mechs that either occasionally detonate horribly or have so much dakka or hyper specialization.

The Black Knight that had a machete in it's hand and a Raven welded onto it's shoulder (creating a pirate captain) to give it supreme dodge capacity and ECM projection comes to mind as an example. Or the meme urbie from the tabletop game that is literally so hardwired for destruction that it will superheat and straight up loving explode after a single shot. The catch being that the trash can is basically a walking talking wave motion gun. And with nukes enabled the thing has a subvariant of the unique setup that is straight up a lovely tactical nuke platform like someone was a huge fan of trash cans and metal gear. :stare:

Alternatively, have you checked out Clanner space or Comstar/WoB space? Seems like they are more your speed now that you've gotten super heavies. If you manage to get the (often extremely rare, since few people play for Comstar or WoB due to personal issues with Dark Ages mechs and also because they're in a very lovely position to cap territory for sometimes) SH missions with them I think they give a few super heavies and other equivalent mechs and tech that even the other factions don't have.

Also also, have they reenabled the online war map yet? Been waiting to it to come back before I played again.

Zephro posted:

It's more impressive that mods like Roguetech even manage to function at all given that the back end of Battletech is not optimized at all by the account of every mod maker who's tried to figure out how to increase speeds or compress the size of super mods like RT or the other equivalent mods down. Accounts range from frustrated but accepting that the game is just not optimally designed* to frustrated rants of rage and despair that basically amount to "abandon all hope ye who enter here".

*It doesn't seem to do any sort of preloading or keeping things in memory to assist with speed for the camera shots if you have the cinematic camera on. Possibly this is also the same for just scrolling the map and looking around. Which is a problem when the game likes to show you combat by constantly changing the angles during attack and movement.

Also, I think it has some weird codework where shadows just cause the game to chug on a number of systems. Which is a big loving problem, since several map types make heavy use of shadows.

The automatic camera also gets laggier and laggier the more units are in the battle due to how badly designed it is, though I think that was patched out by modders after a lot of screaming and bashing their head against the wall to try and figure out what happened to gently caress things up so badly. This was notable since even if you turned off the cinematic camera work option in the options it would still lag the gently caress out of your game for some reason I never understood. It got the point where I know RT has a special function that basically skips over the camera issues by proxy by disabling tracking movement/attacks and speeding it up that you can enable. :shrug:

Ygolonac posted:

Pretty sure with 2300+ mechs and over 1k vehicles alone, it's not "a few kilobytes". gently caress only knows what the final count for components is...

(Even if I'm nowhere near 100% ownership.)

You got your AC2, five different fancy branded AC2 variants, two different HVAC2s, three LBX AC2s, a Light AC2, three Rotary and two Heavy Rotary AC2s, the Double AC2 (Quicsell), three UAC2s, and whatever the gently caress this is.

Oh, and the Quicsell "Gauss" fires AC2 ammo as well.

You want to :gonk:, go check the wiki for all the Urbie variants you might see - there's even a nuke carrier :ohdear:.

Likewise, database referencing like what he mentioned can cause significant slowdown over time. The longer a campaign goes on the more likely you are to get slowdown. I still don't know why this is, since even if you have 1200 mechs and a gently caress ton of parts it's still just a bunch of text that is referenced.

It's possible that the game requires part of the attendant models or something similar to be pre-loaded and then kept in memory for ease of use or something ridiculous like that even though it doesn't do optimized preloading/caching of the environment in battles to the game's detriment. So why anyone would do it like that is :psyduck:.

If it wasn't for Anno 1800 having a memory leak built into it that deliberately requires going out and purging active usage of your virtual file and memory to play without crippling your PC i'd say that Battletech was probably the most unoptimized functional game of recent years.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 8, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ygolonac posted:

This definitely sounds like something you would measure in kilobytes. Maybe like, one megabyte, tops.

But all that information is probably stored in an unnecessarily large and expensive way, making it much larger than it really needs to be.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Archonex posted:

Out of curiosity, have you flown out to the eastern rim and seen the actual pirate nation's units (not pirates as in the black market group, but the actual pirate lords/clans/whatever)? Because I think you'd be entertained by what some of their rare units have to offer. They're basically the equivalent of WH40K's Orks of Roguetech, complete with goofy janky mechs that either occasionally detonate horribly or have so much dakka or hyper specialization.

The Black Knight that had a machete in it's hand and a Raven welded onto it's shoulder (creating a pirate captain) to give it supreme dodge capacity and ECM projection comes to mind as an example. Or the meme urbie from the tabletop game that is literally so hardwired for destruction that it will superheat and straight up loving explode after a single shot. The catch being that the trash can is basically a walking talking wave motion gun. And with nukes enabled the thing has a subvariant of the unique setup that is straight up a lovely tactical nuke platform like someone was a huge fan of trash cans and metal gear. :stare:

Alternatively, have you checked out Clanner space or Comstar/WoB space? Seems like they are more your speed now that you've gotten super heavies. If you manage to get the (often extremely rare, since few people play for Comstar or WoB due to personal issues with Dark Ages mechs and also because they're in a very lovely position to cap territory for sometimes) SH missions with them I think they give a few super heavies and other equivalent mechs and tech that even the other factions don't have.

Also also, have they reenabled the online war map yet? Been waiting to it to come back before I played again.

Started off in Lyran country, with a shitload of Clan floating around - that's how I got my early Gauss and never looked back. :v: Been all the way "east" to the hidden WoB worlds (for a flashpoint, and did other stuff out there as well, mostly for and against Comcast/Comcast's lil' Clam offshoot), and keep finding all kinds of "WTF where the the local .gov *get* this stuff" Pirate/Clan/RIS goodies.

The "Polly" comes on the Blackbeard Atlas, which pairs a hook and cutlass, and also a sawed-off Thumper, plus a Tricorne (and, in the fluff, a giant eyepatch). Actually have the Polly and two parts of the Blackbeard, just need to run into another one. I also have one full Pyromaniac, and enough parts for a second. (I'm now in the habit of looting weird pirate poo poo, because you can get some goodies mixed in with the Space Meth Specials.)

Online is back - gotta register now, because of toxic shitbirds loving up stuff before. Hit the Online Discord, I think, for that. (Don't have the URL handy, don't do the online meself.)

Still having fun, though. Eagerly awaiting another SH mission, since my headshot-build Marauder IIs are just murder machines. May do a few more drops with my SHs for giggles, but then I'll probably store them and pull out my mostly-optimised lights to get affinity build before going to Solaris for the Championship.

Also never turning down Air Show missions because aggressively swarming the enemy LAMs is great fun!

Jabor posted:

This definitely sounds like something you would measure in kilobytes. Maybe like, one megabyte, tops.

But all that information is probably stored in an unnecessarily large and expensive way, making it much larger than it really needs to be.

It's all in the JSONs, I think, and even compressed the full cache of RT is (as of May) 11.2 gig. Not all of this is audio and pretty-pretty models...

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They really need to make another mech commander type game because there's so much potential. I want to upgrade from a rented leopard and 1 lance of mechs to owning my own planet and a small army including giant dropships. Let it be like mount and blade where i could create my own nation state conquering multiple systems and dumping Cbills into modernizing the planet into a mech factory. You could go the easy route and bite a chunk of the periphery or you could go big and try to take a more developed system and face the successor states.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I'd rather see a more focused approach if they ever do another Battletech game. Something like Gears Tactics where you travel directly from story mission to story mission and in-between you can do little semi-random side missions to get some extra gear or level up some characters who are lagging behind.

It's impossible to balance these huge sandboxes in any meaningful way. Sandboxes can be really fun but Battletech is at it's best when you are barely clawing your way through each mission and it's really hard to keep that consistent difficulty when you give the player so much freedom that you can't really predict what the player will bring to any given mission.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That's also impossible to do unless you give the players nothing or you make each mission a meat grinder. Even games where you have limited supplies and no place to grind become easier as time goes on and they hoard what resources they do have and get better at the game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Arghy posted:

They really need to make another mech commander type game because there's so much potential. I want to upgrade from a rented leopard and 1 lance of mechs to owning my own planet and a small army including giant dropships. Let it be like mount and blade where i could create my own nation state conquering multiple systems and dumping Cbills into modernizing the planet into a mech factory. You could go the easy route and bite a chunk of the periphery or you could go big and try to take a more developed system and face the successor states.

I've been in a mechwarrior kick so playing this, MWO, and Mechwarrior 5 and the entire time I have essentially been thinking of how I want the same thing you just mentioned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd be a nice problem solve for all the junk mechs you get besides just selling them; hire MORE Mechwarriors, and send them off on their own merc campaign. Good luck little Panther!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Scout mechs make sense when they arent 1/4 of your firepower and you actually have an army to scout for.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

AtillatheBum posted:

I'd rather see a more focused approach if they ever do another Battletech game. Something like Gears Tactics where you travel directly from story mission to story mission and in-between you can do little semi-random side missions to get some extra gear or level up some characters who are lagging behind.

It's impossible to balance these huge sandboxes in any meaningful way. Sandboxes can be really fun but Battletech is at it's best when you are barely clawing your way through each mission and it's really hard to keep that consistent difficulty when you give the player so much freedom that you can't really predict what the player will bring to any given mission.

The gameplay loop is perfectly fine, they just need to iterate it. I quite enjoyed going from impoverished mercenary company that couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn to an elite outfit.

They just need more flashpoints that cover interesting points in the timeline, a bigger star map to get there, and more customization options like XL engines.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dyz posted:

Scout mechs make sense when they arent 1/4 of your firepower and you actually have an army to scout for.

I'd actually use fire support mechs like the Archer and Catapult if that were the case in the vanilla game.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Scout mechs and mechs with increased sensor range are amazing when you're rocking 4 artillery vehicles waiting to unload on whatever they spot. It'd be some fun poo poo to start right before the clan invasion but plan on the game taking legit years to fully play--have your mechwarriors age so when you take over a planet the starting mech jocks can retire to that planet and teach other mech jocks. You could have a ton of content with house politics if you decide to join a house but otherwise you'd have amazing flash points like avenging a failed raid by your underlings doing their own campaign. You could be betrayed and watch your small kingdom get conquered forcing you to fight a guerilla war to take it back--you didn't rescue that promising mech commander you sent into liao space to fight some contracts? Now he's back with a liao invasion fleet!

You could finally put that mech collection to use too, ensure you're capitals militia has full regiments of well equipped mechs and watch those attempted coups turn into blood baths with multiple revenge contracts.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Boogle posted:

The gameplay loop is perfectly fine, they just need to iterate it. I quite enjoyed going from impoverished mercenary company that couldn't shoot the broad side of a barn to an elite outfit.

They just need more flashpoints that cover interesting points in the timeline, a bigger star map to get there, and more customization options like XL engines.

Yeah I think Battletech is a great game, I've had tons of fun with it. I definitely would not begrudge a Battletech 2: Electric Boogaloo if that's what HBS wants to make but I think a more focused approach would result in a game I would enjoy more and would also be a much more realistic product from a game design standpoint.

These pie in the sky games where you somehow can get embroiled in sphere politics while running your own merc company and owning your own planets and all these systems being able to interact with each other in meaningful ways are a whole lot of wishful thinking.

The allure of the sandbox in Battletech is really strong because of just how much stuff there is and how all of it can interact with each other but when you actually think of how you can make that stuff talk to one another AND have a super tight and fun battlescape alongside that it starts to seem unobtainable.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Got Roguetech'd slightly in one Duo Duel last night, and terminally in the other.

My pair of quad-Clan-ERPPC mass-battle-computer headshot Marauder IIs took on some RISC'd Atlas in the first one.

And a straight-up Gausszilla Annihilator, which did get headshot on the second turn to finish the fight.

Duel, so 1/7 was max salvage - picked one Gaussgecko part, only got one in allocation. :cry: And, once more, the third part somehow evaporated between pick and allocate - two parts in my stack none left in the pile. (Does anyone else see this happen?)

Second fight, welp. :suicide: The runnin' buddy there was a stealthed King Crab.

The primary, which hosed me into "quit to desktop", was the Dreadnought, and that Spinal-Mount Heavy Gauss Rifle was loving murder. "Hello, right arm. Goodbye, right arm." Apparently it *can* be headshot, but I just wasn't pulling it off. (The Highlands duel arena, too, so no appreciable ground-level cover, nor a way to get some distance.)

I really want that Hardened Ferro-Fibrous, too. Not sure if the HGR is lootable, though.

I'll try again tonight, I think, but I have the Grey Death legion flashpoint right nearby, so I guess I can go get bollocked with assigned mechs and pilots there...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yup, Roger Tech again. Did the duo duel again and had a much less murder-y pairing, mauled and it was off to Trell, ASAP, to help Edgelord McTryhard Greyson Death Carlyle defeat the Kuritan "pirates". (Decision At Thunder Rift came out 35 years ago, gently caress the spoiler warning.)

Well, I guess I can hit the store first, do some refits and a duel and a couple other missions, I'm sure the kid'll be fine...

<time passes>

<commander heals from his wounds>

<couple more missions>

<R&R>

OK, let's go!

This felt very much like a pure vanilla flashpoint - certainly, *I* was the only one running ECM/sensors/AMS/non-wanilla gear. First part was a recovery, and you're restricted to one mech 55 tons or less.

So, Glitch and her PHawk LAM went down to be The Perkiest Sky Devil.

And immediately backstabbed a Crusader into parts before the pilot even woke up, and other than grabbing the target, that was all.

Wellll, poo poo. I really expected more fighting... and thought I was going to be forced into the "historically accurate" hardware, and have the original lance and pilots.

CONSECUTIVE MISSION

So, they drop a lance of .gov blowers. And there's a named pilot ("Love Interest") and the original mechs in the other allied lance, OK I guess.

And it does force me into a different pilot and mech to fight in.

My 10s-across-the-board CO.

And his Bounty Hunter-variant Marauder II, kitted for headshots. Which he has massive affinity in, and thus all kinds of buffs.

:catstare:

(Was Duncan Fisher tanked on Space Moonshine and telling the story again?)

Needless to say, Duke Hassan Ricol's forces got stomped worse than the local challenger versus the World Heavyweight Champion. (One mission objective was "The Shadow Hawk must survive", and it would have been a lot longs and messier fight it I'd been forced to use the original mech; original enemies were a Rifleman, Phoenix Hawk (I think), Griffin and a Wolverine. Reinforcements were another PHawk, Shadow Hawk, Stinger <?> and Marauder. My forces were 4x Pegasus hovertanks, Love Interest in a Locust, and three unnamed pilots in Stingers/Wasps.)

Advanced gear did finally appear... in the lootbox at the end. :v:

There's at least two more Grey Poupon Legion FPs, so maybe this will get a little harder at some point...

Edit: forgot that I did hire Oddball because has some really great tags - Gladiator/Assassin/Tech/Comstar, but dear god I need to be naughty and edit his voicefiles to be.. someone else.

*Anyone* else.

Random 56k modem connect noises, even.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 10, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
GDL stuff always left me flat. FASA made such a good choice making Wolf’s Dragoons the premier merc unit across the fiction instead of them.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I love BTA 3062.

It’s so much more fun than the last one that I forgot what to call it.

gently caress Long Toms 4eva.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
And wtf is up with allied cars lobbing smoke everywhere I need to shoot?!?

Those guys are jerks too.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

armchairyoda posted:

And wtf is up with allied cars lobbing smoke everywhere I need to shoot?!?

Those guys are jerks too.

Are they smoke grenades or smoke rounds for the mortars? The latter are in Roger Tech, but the only time I've ever seen them used was a particularly long fight, and the enemy AI ran through all the actual serious mortar ammo before smoking.

I should try that out, though, it's really rare that I field any mechs without decent optical gear that has night vision and no-vision mitigation. (Vehicles, it's a dice-roll what they're equipped with. Play-Skool pretend binoculars, considering how shite their accuracy usually is.)

Hmmm. Might be worth smoking the convoy on escort missions, maybe. "Pay no attention to the fog bank, look, a (Hardened/Reinforced) King Crab with seven evasion, kill it!"

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Mortars. And the dickholes always come right out of the gate throwing those.

The last mission I ran was a base defense against Comcast and at the end of the match there were 9 different smoke clouds bc that was all that one mf would do every turn.

The last dude I had to kill was a Firefly I had to get LOS on by chasing it down in a Cataphract bc that mf Buick kept making GBS threads them out on him whenever he’d peek out… laaaaame.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
A wild Roger Tech approaches...

Late Saturday, I go ahead and take a three orange skull (difficulty 16) highlands mission. Seems simple enough.

Well, there *is* that extra text in the description.

"WARNING! DANGEROUS TRASH!"

Red "Warning" text tells you that superheavies will be encountered. And "Trash" means a Mothball 150-ton Pirate LAM.

It's that fairly big map, with some fairly high ground up a bunch of narrow ravines. Which looked to be the best place to spawn, out of what was available.

Oh look, immediately spotted is a Proteus of some sort, a non-AC-20 Hunchback, some other stuff waaay out of LRM range, and a tank.

Vachir Qorchi.

Fuuuuuuck. (Fun fact: once you do the "Junkyard" flashpoint for the Mothball, when it shows up in a mission, it can be accompanied by one or more SH tanks. Have fun.)

Well, managed to scatter a little and get out of LoS of *that* fucker, Inferno arty'd the initial Longbow into shutdown, mined the poo poo out of the approaches, and started murdering the Proteus and Hunchback with direct fire.

VACHIR QORCHI SAYS "HI".

Dual Thumper Inferno Time.

Killed the Proteus, killed the Hunchie, focused all art-

MOTHBALL WANTS TO PLAY!

Never mind the tank. Arty, SAM LRMs, Magpulse LRMs, quad-PPC headshot attempts, the Ferro-Aluminum Overcast falls down.

To get up and start flying again next rou-

Oh thank gently caress, side torso deleted, ammo explosion, center torso gone. I'd rather have decapitated it, but I'd also rather not have to soak all that damage *and* turn my mechs to face it.

Back to the tank. WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM BOOM. Arty all the way.

Beyond that it was pretty much just grinding down the swarm of mostly-assaults (and some lighter stealth mechs) while trying to find a way down from that ridgeline all on fire.. oh, good, Inferno went out.

When it was all donw, one Mothball part and two Vachir were available... and all got passed up for my three picks, along with all the complete or partial mechs, and nearly all the components.

Because Railgun. And Battle Computer (Recoil, IIRC). And 4x Railgun ammo.

Some good stuff on allocation, but no more BCs. :(

Last night was a little better. Just a 2.5 orange skull (difficulty 15) city fight. I drop my headshotters, my 4x Gauss Annihilator, 2x Thumper Bullshark, 2x Sniper Arty Behemoth and 1x Long Tom Helepolis. 2 skulls orange, this should be pretty even.

Enemy Lance.
Enemy Support Lance.
Enemy Reinforcements.
Enemy Reinforcements 2.

Immediately spotted was an Elite/Heroic custom Bandersnatch. Who got Heroically Elite'd in the face with PPCs after the first turn of firing, missing with all but lasers.

Thank god.

Spotted on sensors were two Marauders, Griffin, Thunderbolt, Crusader, Warhammer IIc variant, Dragon, Atlas 3 (the non-command variant), Conquistador, a 2x Arrow IV Longbow and...

Enemy Reinforcements 3.

:argh:

A bunch of stuff wasn't visible, only showing up in the combat log, all stealthy assholes: 3 Raptors, some Pirate-rigged Manei Domini Preta, and a Bolla tank - who were all loving off trying to roll my left flank.

Why is this important? Because everyone without jump jets kept trying to head directly at me... except there was a raised building foundation in the way, so they mostly just rabbled around, eating arty.

Rolled my direct-fire beasts that way, and deleted everyone, while everyone else (except the Atlas, and the Infernoed-into-shutdown-and-ammo-explosion Longbow) just stayed in the mosh pit being roasted and splash-damaged into destruction or ejection.

Three choices again, so the final part needed for the Conquistador and Bandersnatch, and a ____ _________ ______.

Oh, you can't *see* the Void Signature System. Which means a rebuild of my main (more BCs) Headshootrauder, but will make it less of a team target.

Might have to store the mortarboat Annihilator, now, and bring out the mechanical jump King Crab, to pack in a Railgun/BFG9000 combo. "Excuse me while I delete your entire mech. No, mechs, as I have the BCs to do multitarget and breaching shot." :unsmigghh:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 13, 2021

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I played BEXCE a year or so back and I remember getting into fighting Clans before I got distracted by whatever other game. Tried giving it another shot, and everything 3.5+ stars is just absolute hell. Not really into my units getting gaped one at a time by 8 consecutive heavy/assault LRM barrages on maps where I can't break LOS.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Trick to Clanbusting in BEXCE is playing counterpunch from the start. Draw them out as much as you can so that you've got more guns facing less guns in any given turn. ECM bubbles are a huge help. I usually had 2-3 across the 8 Mechs.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Whoooo, got me some RogerTeched all right. "It's one purple skull (level 22), how bad could it be?" (I was running 2 orange skulls for level 14).

Assassination, so target plus his guards plus at least one lance of support plus ambushers.

Superheavy included.

Versus Blakists, so six-enemy lances.

First try, I actually did the best - target/his pals/support 1/support 2/ambushers. Default spawn would have been right in the middle of the ambusher spawn, but I took a nice out-of-the-way spot so I could lay mines on the approaches and drop arty.

Seven Test Pilots, according to the combat log - remember, they exceed max skill levels.

Lady Killer Madcat, 2x Longbow RX, Warhammer IIC-6, with HAG30, Elite or Legendary Atlas, Emperor, King Crab, Marauder, 2x Archangels, a swarm of Raptors (most of whom had issues with mines), some other vehicles (who were the assassination targets and would have killed themselves minerunning for the extraction).

And the ambushers.

An Oliphant Siege Tank.

And three loving Omegas, of various loadouts.

Plus a Cicada (lol), a Gladiator that kept running back and forth along the road - clearing mines? Or maybe just AI being AI. And maybe one more Raptor, not sure.

I had either killed or massively damaged about 80% of everything when the SHs came slogging into sensor range...

And the game CTD'd. :suicide:

Try #2 was similar, except for the SH tank being an arty specialist, multiple Thumper or Sniper units, a gausszilla and a Thumperilla, and some slight variation in the three Omegas. Test Pilots gangstomped one of my headshot Marauder IIs first time he poked his head out, nay gently caress that quit to desktop.

Try 3 was less arty, but most of the assaults coming in were jumping the entire time. And I quit when an Omega exterminated my commander's headshotter via HAG, somehow having LoS without having moved from where *I* had no LoS the previous phase.

hosed off to a different planet entirely. It's a shame, because I'd done a half-purple-skull Air Show just before that mission attempt, with much weaker forces, and beat the dogshit out of it. (Rental LAMs were a Berkut stealth Shadow Hawk, 2x Wasps and a Stinger. :catstare: Made up for it with my laser-build Screamer, Phawk, Waneta and Munin. Allies had some decent stuff plus a lone Stinger being worthless.)

So, the travel contract I took was, well, another Air Show, because Sky Devil 4 Lyfe. or death, as the case may be, because out of 12 enemies all told, I murdered 7 before their spawn protection even ended. (First up was a Warthog, which not only got wiped, it even yielded three parts *and* the BRRT RAC as separate loot.)

Let's see what else is available... oh.

Roar of the Beast 2.

The second RacZilla SH mission.

But wait! There's more!

A *second* RotB2 mission!

First one had the 'zilla, a King Harald 2 SH tank, and an Omega. Plus a bunch of assaults and a couple heavies.

One was a Matar, so now I have another BFG9000. And four more tons of railgun ammo. And two Improved Heavy Gauss from the Omega.

Just a simple Badlands "camp the high ground and let Enemy advance through the mines, if they make it through the arty, and coming into range of the ERPPCs of the headshotters".

Second was Highlands. The map with the narrow-rear end ravines leading up to the high ground, and a skoshie little valley. To get high ground, I had to take the right flank (facing uphill) position. Spawned to enemies mostly down the valley and out of LoS.

And three across the way on the other high ground.

Some heavy that ran off fast and didn't do poo poo who cares.

The RacZilla.

And his pal, the HAG-40 Omega.

'Zilla didn't have the range to shoot. Omega did. So did I. loving High Seas Lands direct-fire gun duel, everyone ate HAG but not terribly, while Long Tom/Dual-Sniper/Dual-Thumper/2x Quad ERPPC hammered the poo poo out of Big Chungus. Followed by the same on the 'Zilla. Meanwhile everyone on the valley was dancing across mines, hucking AMS-bait, and in general waiting their turn for arty and PPC service.

Still doesn't make up for that first utter bastard mission, but goddamn it got exciting when I spawned and saw what was staring at me... :aaaaa:

Oh, and it looks like there was an update of some sort, and vehicles can charge now. :getin: Finally, Tank Gurl can use her Gladiator tag! :unsmigghh:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Hook us up with some info on your current lance. I haven't made it to superheavies yet this season, so I am curious what people are running. Last season I was doing jump jet railgun assaults, but that got nerfed. So far I'm mostly running risc hags.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

CompeAnansi posted:

Hook us up with some info on your current lance. I haven't made it to superheavies yet this season, so I am curious what people are running. Last season I was doing jump jet railgun assaults, but that got nerfed. So far I'm mostly running risc hags.

Headshotters are two Marauder II-BHs, the Bounty Hunter Legendary ones. (Also the only IIs I've completed.) Each run Enhanced Imaging, Clan Advanced Targeting Computer, and as many Battle Computers as I have/can fit. 4x Clan ERPPCs, Prototype DHS, Heat Exchanger ++ and Clan Heat Bank to try not to melt. Sensors Tracker and Tactics A & B, CASE Armor (not really needed), Composite (for weight), XL Engine (weight), Stabilised UL Gyro (weight), Angel ECM, 2 Clan Laser AMS and then I fill out with whatever I have on-hand.

The one with the most TCs:

The second one has maybe half the TCs, smaller core, no supercharger but swaps one LAMS(C) for a Clan Advanced (?) LAMS, which provides lots more pew, plus protects everyone nearby.

#3 (direct fire) is a quad-Clan Gauss Annihilator, with Jump Booster 3 I think. Simple, heavy, and can smash into things.

#4 is a dual-Thumper Bull Shark with too much ammo and a couple Medium X-Pulse lasers just because. Womp-womp for Inferno, mostly, although I have a bunch of HE and some Shaped Charge as well.

Support iron:

#1 - 100 tons Behemoth with dual Sniper Arty, and shite accuracy for some reason. Could use more ammo, but I've run out of slots or tonnage. (A common thread with my builds. I don't skimp on armor, if I can avoid it.)

#2 - Helepolis, Long Tom, is accurate, still wants more ammo.

#3 - Stalker, 2x LRM20(C), 1x LRM15(C), Arrow IV(C), poo poo-ton of mines(Thunder-A and -I), less Tandem, FTL and Chaff; Arrow is HE/Inferno/FASCAM and FASCAM-I.

#4 - Stalker, 4x LRM20(C), poo poo-ton of mines (Thunder and -A), bunch of ArtIV, some SAM, Typhon, Swarm-I and EMP.

Comedy Option: Matar with BFG9000, Mechanical Jump Systems 10 (7 evasion at max jump, plus more from other gear), all the Railgun ammo I had at build time.

LAM Wing is a Screamer (L.I. Heavy Laser or melee build with Solaris Spikes, Spiked Upper, Spiked Helm, Bone Claws/Battle Fist Mk III and melee arm stuff/FCS, depending on whether I'm beating the poo poo out of mechs in duel, or shooting down other LAMs in Air Shows), Phoenix Hawk (M.I. Heavy Laser, think I stuck a pulse of some sort on as well, and a Hellfire and two Vulcan hardpoints), Waneta (forget what laser I have, RISC MML10 w/Thunder-A LRM and Tandem SRM, shite accuracy) and a Munin (multiple various pulse lasers and Vulcan hardpoint - close-in backstabber).

Light Solaris builds are: Adder-J chock full of Light Gauss and Magshot, plus the inbuilt Flamer; Strider (I think) with 4x Clan SRM6, LK/Tandem/Inferno; "Ember" Firestarter - mimetic stealth and signature damper, 3x Micro Pulse Laser Arrays and a... Clan Small Heavy? I forget; and a Hollander with a Snub Heavy Gauss. And everything focused of Gauss accuracy. (I'd run a Railgun/BFG if I could fit it in.) Gauss hangs back and snipes, everyone else speeds in and mauls/draws fire with high evasion.

Clankies: wide variety, most kept ready just in case. Most used: Demolishers (2x Thumper and 2x Arrow IV versions, 2x RAC5 also available), Thumper track, Marksman Sniper (I think) track, Heavy Mortar Carrier (3x Mortar/8). (Should make sure I have a tough and fast thing now that vehicle charges are enabled. :black101:)

Tactics for ground combat are: turtle up, snipe/arty/mine as far out as possible. Tactics for air combat are: {s]board and storm[/s] swarm at speed, murder from rear arc where possible. Only go to move (rather than sprint) when cooling needed or when finishing enemies that won't be shooting back. Duel tactics: Ground, Headshooty (single or duo) or Matar/Headshooty as I feel like it. Air, same as air combat, unless the Screamer is in melee mode then it's charge or punch, put the mechboots in when they go down.

Looked at the later Roger Tech changes, vehicle charges are now in, more mechs and vehicles added (oh god I'm such a completionist), Battle Armor now get it's own mechbay, and is damaged as individual BAs - overkill is no longer applied to the other in the unit. Other stuff as well, but not save-breaking.

And me without time to play Robbit Rampage the past couple of days... :smith:

Edit: *Everything* runs AMS - Clan Laser if possible, Laser otherwise, unless I'm totally out of space/hardpoints, and then it's a Bolt-On AMS. Matar also has multiple and one is the Clan Advanced LAMS.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Starting again, again, in BTA since the itch is back, but my save didn't survive the game's reinstallation apparently. How do I edit my files to add a mech? I want the Daishi back lol I earned it

e: Trying to use the save editor, adding it as a MECH as mechdef_direwolf_DW-B doesn't seem to do anything. It's matching the Locust equivalent sitting in the inventory; can it just not add modded mechs?

Nevermind figured it out, wrong tab

Lmao I love the Urbie LAM

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 28, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao I love the Urbie LAM

Watch for Ubie choppers, too.

That's a dead one, BTW - it didn't crash when I killed it. It's probably fixed by now... in the various patches that have been dropping, VTOL/chopper destruction visuals have changed. Actual VTOLs drop from the sky in chunks, choppers explosively disassemble and yeet off at high velocity.

Speaking of changes...

QUADS

ARE

IN

You need to do the quad-flashpoint to activate them, but then they'll go into the general pool of enemy mechs.

Roger Tech - "There's room to cram more stuff in."

(Disclaimer: I don't care about quads, myself.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haven't thought about this game in at least a year, but the itch is back

never did even beat the campaign, so i suspect mods like these conversion packs being talked about this page are a bit much for me; but are there any QoL mods i should probably pick up?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Probably a controversial opinion, but I wouldn't play this game without RogueTech, or at least Battletech Advanced, installed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

For QoL mods, I use the following:

AA.BT.RealHitChance: Battletech does weird stuff to the actual chance to hit numbers. This undoes that.

BattletechPerformanceFix: Fixes some of the things that slow down the game.

BTMLColorLOSMod: Changes the color of the targeting lines to clearly show if you have a direct line of sight to your target.

cFixes: Various bugfixes.

Flashpoint-Spawn-Adjustments: Fixes the spawn requirements for some Flashpoints.

MechSpin: Lets you spin your mechs in the hanger.

MeleeMover: Lets you choose where you stand when you use melee like the AI does.

ModTek: The mod that manages all the other mods.

NavigationComputer: Gives you more information on the navigation map.

PilotHealthPopup: Lets you know the health of enemy pilots.

QuickCam: Makes the camera faster.

SkipIntro: Either skips the campaign intro or the game intro, I forget which.

SkipTravelCutscenes: Skips some of the travel animations, which get old real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
BattleTech Extended 3025-3061 1.9.3.0 released

This takes you to the Mods In Exile site (where most of the stuff that ditched Nexus ended up) and about five pages of changenotes.

Quick Roger Tech updates: did an Air Show last night, second wave was a bit sporty with a Warthog and a Mothball 150-ton LAM (classified info so no link), but there was a ton of loot and three picks.

Not the Warthog. Nor the Mothball. Same for a lot of other full LAMs or parts needed to complete one. Not the BRRT Pirate RAC/10, SuperHeavy LAM Booster or Dropship Turbine or anything else.

No, I took the Phoenix Hawk.

IIC.

LAM.

90 tons, description in-game (because of course it's classified on the wiki) is that it's a Clan-developed 90-ton LAM designed to replicate the original PHawk's speed and maneuverability. And add a shitload of hardpoints, even though it's not an Omni.

Hmmm. I did get a BRRT on allocation, to add to the ones I've already got. And there *is* a nice center-torso ballistic hardpoint, and enough slots to fit it... (2 slots, plus 4 more in each side torso). So, I can fly around JABO'ing everyone until the gun blows, because LOL pirate tech.

Oooor...

Either way, it's a one-gun build for horrific damage with the possibility of misfire/kaboom. :black101: + :unsmigghh:

It's also the first time I've taken vehicles out since the latest series of updates/patches, and goddamn it feels like they're boosted *hard* for speed. I was taking Demolishers from forest to a different forest area in one move, and I don't remember them speeding around like *that* previously. (Part of the vehicle rework included movement boosts as part of pilot skills, which is probably the cause.)

Did the Quad Flashpoint on Sunday, so now they should go into the general pool for enemy mechs. Got a light scout-y 25-ton quad in the FP lootbox, which got put away for now. Looks like 8-10 quads available (plus variants), ranging from said lil' guy on up to turret-equipped 100-ton monsters. Really neat sprinting animation, too.

Also on Sunday was another SH Assassination vs. Blakists, why won't I learn :smithicide:. Difficulty 22, and I was taking in difficulty 10 worth of toys. :suicide:

But I pulled it off. :smug:

More on that and the Quadpoint when I can edit up the post - had it almost complete yesterday, and then accidentally closed the tab. <insert much cursing here>

Almost forgot - I didn't gently caress with it yet (was waaay too late when I noticed it), but there's now a couple new buttons in Mechbay during refits; one is "save as", and the other "load (recover?) as". I *think* that means you can save off a default or custom build, and refit back to a saved template - I expect you'll still eat the time/mechtech points/cost, but it'll beat the hell out of manually refitting, say, my Screamer between Big loving Laser air-to-air mode and Big loving Smash melee mode. I'll ask and see what I can find out...

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 4, 2022