Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Been playing some hard mode and people are right that it's not that much harder. For me it seems to just make the start that much more tedious - especially if you're someone like Maggie with crap starting dps. More filler rooms with more enemies means a higher chance that I have a room where you get to run in circle dodging a few spiders spawning mini spiders or something else that feels spongy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Maggie can take a huge advantage of sacrifice rooms. Using her health to your advantage is best.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

flatluigi posted:

what is this 'collection' b/c it's hard to google

You can sub to the "Collections Collection" and it will keep all 5 of the guy's mods updated. Each one is built around a certain theme, like gold/shops, sewers/rotten hearts, and quarry/explosive stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
External Item Descriptions now tells you specific percentages for changes of things, which is pretty cool. It tells you specifically what % chances things have. The Bible Tract thing makes eternal hearts 3% more likely to show up. Wishbone has 2% chance of proccing every time you get hit.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just found out that as of Repentence, red and purple fireplaces only fire once for as long as you're in a room. Once they fire a shot, they're safe until you leave and re-enter the room.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Trying to do the unlock where you have to beat The Lamb without having picked up any bombs, coins or hearts. The absolute hardest part is deactivating the part of my brain that runs on auto-pilot and just stands in the middle of the room right as I clear the last enemy.

Keep making it a few floors in and picking up some bombs bc my brain has grooves worn in it from this drat game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

PantsBandit posted:

Trying to do the unlock where you have to beat The Lamb without having picked up any bombs, coins or hearts. The absolute hardest part is deactivating the part of my brain that runs on auto-pilot and just stands in the middle of the room right as I clear the last enemy.

Keep making it a few floors in and picking up some bombs bc my brain has grooves worn in it from this drat game.

Is the unlock good at least

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Nyoro posted:

Is the unlock good at least

Haw I honestly wasn't sure (was just going off that unlock utility that got posted a few pages back) so I just checked.

Apparently it's just an achievement and you don't actually get anything for it.

The achievement looks like a card but I can't find any documentation of whether it actually gives you a new card or not.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The description for the achievement is "unlocked a new item" so it must unlock an item, but I absolutely cannot find a source saying what the item is.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
It does unlock an item and wjile i cant confirm it rn my memory tells me its the ace of spades trinket. Tha achievement is miserablw xause if you get that 1 tile path with bomv flies in caves and a pickup haopens to spawn youre effectively robbed of the win. Any such similar narrow tight room is an instaloss and you dont even get bombs to pish pickups with bombs if they happen to spawn near a door. One of the worst achievements imo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

if you're able to do so, try it as The Lost.

flight / holy mantle / not needing health helps cut down on the challenge difficulty. granted, you still need to be able to beat the game as The Lost, but it worked for me.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I did that achievement with the cheat code that makes pick ups disappear after a couple of seconds. Which helps avoid the narrow path issue

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I did that achievement with the cheat code that makes pick ups disappear after a couple of seconds. Which helps avoid the narrow path issue

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! The seed is GONE SOON. (O and 0 are interchangeable.) Since it has a negative effect, it doesn't turn off unlocks and achievements.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's also a mod that just eliminates those drops:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130278075

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I had an amazing J+E run going, I was just about to beat Mother. Jacob had Rock Bottom + Kidney Stone, an insane combination. However, once I got Mother to about 1/4 health on the second form, I was suddenly teleported to the room before the boss room.

https://imgur.com/s4fTc0O

I came here to post this screenshot and ask what could possibly have caused this. However, right before I hit post I figured out what it must have been. See if you can guess.

It was one of the wisps I got off the Jar of Wisps. GOD DAMNIT

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

The description for the achievement is "unlocked a new item" so it must unlock an item, but I absolutely cannot find a source saying what the item is.
It unlocks the Ace of Spades, which converts resources and non-boss enemies in the room into keys. In other words, it's an instant room clear plus a bunch of keys (potentially).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

It unlocks the Ace of Spades, which converts resources and non-boss enemies in the room into keys. In other words, it's an instant room clear plus a bunch of keys (potentially).

Wait, what? Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

yeah ace of clubs works the same way with bombs, too, and is easier (probably) to get - just get a 3-win streak

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah it was change with Repentance which made all the Ace cards also convert enemies. They're really good now

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Trying Hot Potato. So many challenges are fun in some way. Not found it with this yet. The bombs don't even do decent damage so bosses take forever. On the mom fight and just left forgotten alone bombing in front of an eye waiting for it to be open in time with him being there. Been going for 6 minutes so far.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah that was some of the least fun i had with rep. Made it like 5 times to satan before finally eeking out a win thanks to brim bombs from a suoer secret room bomb beggar.
One of my most devastating losses was when i had prize bombs and i farmed a bunch of soul hearts each floor. The run took like an hour and a half and a bomb leech killed me during satans second phase. Miserable

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I somehow won 3 runs later. After having had runs spoilt by Cursed Eye (you can't throw the body so slowly bomb yourself to death) and lost countless hearts to stupid spiders that wouldn't get bombed, I've no idea what items lead to the synergy.

I got pretty fly, mom's knife and a mom's razor circling the body but was still not going great. Then I got smelter and 2 fortune machines appeared in a super secret room. Smelted about 8 trinkets and a soul of Lilith. By the time that was done Forgotten was able to quad shoot homing tears which despite still being terrible at doing bomb damage meant I could just focus on running in circles while holding down shoot.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Today I finally found C Section after it had finally been implemented.

Wow. That's peak BoI right there. :stare:

Also really strong, it along with Mom's Box + Smelter Combo on J+E got me my Delirium kill.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

In today's amazing synergies: Did you know that picking both Dr. Fetus and Pluto severely cuts your range, making it waaaay more likely to get blown up by your own bombs? I know now!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Played some Tainted Samson for the first time yesterday, fun character! Matt's Kidney Stone is a super fun item on him, I would get it during rage mode and then just have a weed whacker of melee that would delete any bosses in the game.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m so bad at tainted samson because i have no self control and whenever i enter rage mode i just lose all defensive abilities and my eyes gloss over and i everything in my head is just kill death murder maim

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

for today's ridiculous item combination, the world's smallest boy stuffs pennies down satan's throat until he dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRK1L-q2Uhc

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there somewhere I can learn more about how to effectively play Tainted Jacob? All the resources I can find are useless because they are from before the overhaul.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ariong posted:

Is there somewhere I can learn more about how to effectively play Tainted Jacob? All the resources I can find are useless because they are from before the overhaul.

Esau moves just like Mother's Shadow in the knife piece 2 escape and only charges if Jacob is positioned correctly. Esau will never charge during a paralysis pill, so you can pop pills with no worries. Do not take Birthright.

Post rework Esau have a couple of cool benefits. First of all he deals a ton of damage on contact and ignores boss armour. He also inflicts burning in a slightly bigger hitbox than his on-hit hitbox whenever he charges you. You can release Anima Sola early by using it again, which makes Easu charge towards your position. Place an enemy between you and him to completely destroy them. He can no longer turn you into the lost form if you have invincibility, like the Book of Shadows and such.

Once you're done with a floor you can do a couple of things with Jacob's lost form. You can grab a devil room/black market item for free in lost form. If you want more than one item, you buy the stuff you want with hearts and leave one (the most expensive) item for last, take a hit from Easu and grab the last item you want before leaving the room and go to the next floor. The lost form also gives you flight, so you can go back and grab items and pickups behind rocks and pits.

The hardest part about Tainted Jacob is letting go of your dodging reflexes, because getting hit by Esau in the middle of a floor can be a run ender, so sometimes you have to dodge into an enemy and take a hit to keep the run going.

Tainted Jacob is one of the strongest floor 1 characters besides Forgotten, once you figure out how to use Esau offensively.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

for today's ridiculous item combination, the world's smallest boy stuffs pennies down satan's throat until he dies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRK1L-q2Uhc

Ha, I love this game. No matter how many runs I do there are still hilarious item combos that I've never encountered.

I read that beating Mega Satan as the tainted characters unlocks a significant gameplay addition for each one, so I've been running through them all. It's been a great motivation and has led me to realize that the tainted characters aren't that intimidating, in fact they're arguably stronger than their non-tainted counter-parts in a lot of cases. I just finished a run with Tainted Eve and I was absolutely obliterating rooms with ease, my small army of blood clots sending tidal waves of shots at enemies before they could even start their animations.

Unfortunately I got bad luck with the angel room/sac room spawns on that run and wasn't able to get to Mega Satan (no void spawn either...) but still a loving blast and I got my dark room clear, so not a total loss.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I said it before but if I had to play the game with only one version of each character, 75% of them would be the Tainted versions over the regular counterparts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tainted samson is the most fun character in the game imo

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do kinda wish there was an easier way to unlock tainted characters because god playing maggie is so miserable. I've got more J&E completion marks than maggie ones.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I do kinda wish there was an easier way to unlock tainted characters because god playing maggie is so miserable. I've got more J&E completion marks than maggie ones.

maggie kinda sucks but she is in a good position to abuse sac rooms at least. if you can feed 8 hits in you've got a 50/50 shot at 7 soul hearts along with a possible angel item and both key pieces (if you feed one of the soul hearts in after you get them) so at least you never have to really worry about health or not being able to go to mega satan

her early floors suck real bad but she can scale very well given a bit of luck

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does C Section have a chance to proc guppy/parasitoid every tick they hit?

Cause I had those on Lost and everything up to and including Beast and Dogma died in a few seconds.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Jacob and Esau is the worst character in the game (well, don’t have any tainted characters unlocked yet). Any general advice for playing as these assholes? I’m basically shut out of devil/angel rooms because I keep getting stuck on rocks or running over spikes while dodging or something.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
J&e is one of those sad truths that no matter what you really do the issue remains the same. You have to control two dudes at once. The best i can give is learn how to take multiple angel room items, squeeze the game dry of any and all flight items, bust the game wide open as youd normally, keep em close as often as you can, maybe get an invuln or health generation item on esau, and i personally did this but its not a free game nor a simple ride, always take the alt path and always pick up both items. In normal path, you basically have the old t laz problem of splitting one build into two bad ones, so to offset this you gotta gamble on the increased difficulty of alt floors and the randomness of blind items. I went all in all the time

Also you place two bombs for the price of one. Melt those early bosses.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mons Hubris posted:

Jacob and Esau is the worst character in the game (well, don’t have any tainted characters unlocked yet). Any general advice for playing as these assholes? I’m basically shut out of devil/angel rooms because I keep getting stuck on rocks or running over spikes while dodging or something.

pump one of them up before the other. one character with good tears and one character with bad tears is better than two characters with mediocre tears, especially if you're stacking luck-based tear effects; defensive stuff should be spread out tho. items that affect both characters or which operate separately from tears are also good - succubus, toxic shock, etc. - and leverage the strength of having two (or more) trinket slots. flat file is especially good for them since spike-based rooms suck at least three times as much as on a normal character, and they have an easier time getting extra pickups with things like penny trinkets.

other than that you just really need a better-than-average run to feel like you're having an average run, they're hard and it'll take more tries to accomplish anything with them than with other characters

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
It gets easier when you get really used to having two dudes at once. They do have good firepower early on, and definitely going alt path for two items at once helps a whoooole lot. Unlocking birthright is usually a solid plan, and so is red stew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Esau moves just like Mother's Shadow in the knife piece 2 escape and only charges if Jacob is positioned correctly. Esau will never charge during a paralysis pill, so you can pop pills with no worries. Do not take Birthright.

Post rework Esau have a couple of cool benefits. First of all he deals a ton of damage on contact and ignores boss armour. He also inflicts burning in a slightly bigger hitbox than his on-hit hitbox whenever he charges you. You can release Anima Sola early by using it again, which makes Easu charge towards your position. Place an enemy between you and him to completely destroy them. He can no longer turn you into the lost form if you have invincibility, like the Book of Shadows and such.

Once you're done with a floor you can do a couple of things with Jacob's lost form. You can grab a devil room/black market item for free in lost form. If you want more than one item, you buy the stuff you want with hearts and leave one (the most expensive) item for last, take a hit from Easu and grab the last item you want before leaving the room and go to the next floor. The lost form also gives you flight, so you can go back and grab items and pickups behind rocks and pits.

The hardest part about Tainted Jacob is letting go of your dodging reflexes, because getting hit by Esau in the middle of a floor can be a run ender, so sometimes you have to dodge into an enemy and take a hit to keep the run going.

Tainted Jacob is one of the strongest floor 1 characters besides Forgotten, once you figure out how to use Esau offensively.

I already knew all of those tips but thanks anyway. It's just so hard to keep track of Esau constantly throughout the entire run. I inevitably lose track of him at some point and get tagged.

Acerbatus posted:

Does C Section have a chance to proc guppy/parasitoid every tick they hit?

Cause I had those on Lost and everything up to and including Beast and Dogma died in a few seconds.

Yeah, C Section is honestly an instant win button.

Mons Hubris posted:

Honest to god, install the mods that make one of them start with There's Options and the other start with More Options. I held off on it for a while because you know, cheating, don't want to make things too easy, all that. What I found was that getting two characters through the game is still pretty hard even when they are each at the same level of power as one normal character. Even when you do manage to keep them together, your hitbox is larger. Plus having more items means you have to think more about how to distribute them between the two, which is interesting. Certainly a lot more interesting than "If offensive item then put on Esau, if defensive item then alternate." I genuinely don't understand why they would do the "play as two characters thing" and then implement it in a way where you're almost always playing as either two lovely characters or one character plus a total dead weight extra body. It's so much better when they're both good.