Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Finally, dreams v2 (final).txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Seems like a fairly large segment of the population believes that the game is going to be like a movie, obviously because this is all the marketing, and all the "realism" cig pumps into it.

However, by the time your ship is on fire, in the middle of a heated battle, and you have to go away from the cockpit and flying the ship to go put out a fire you're going to be dead.

Probably also, anybody on your ship who is doing that action is probably already thinking "if I a had my ship we would have 2x the firepower and not be in this situation in the first place", before both of them end up playing the respawning in your wankpod animation.

Maybe you could get this experience on a capital ship... but it won't be a cinematic experience either. It'll be a crazy thing where people are just non-fidelitously running around with whatever the repair laser is and shooting the walls.

But I guess you can dream, huh? :)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The one that is the funniest to me is the Nautilus, introduced 2 years ago at a big backer event, and still isn't in the game, its core mechanics (minelaying) still aren't in the game, and there's no hint at all even HOW minelaying would actually work in the game. Yet citizens still talk about it on the subreddit like it's a viable ship that fulfills an important role in their "fleet". :shepspends:

It's what makes the recent uprising about the Ares Ion being nerfed all the more funny. Nothing gets backers stirred into a frenzy like modifying their ships post sale, they become indignant and extremely critical towards CIG. Never mind that this game is like 1% complete and horribly broken in so many ways that ship balance means absolutely nothing at this stage.

I would love to see CIG reach a point where they could start to actually think about ship balance and slowly come to the realization that like half their ships invalidate each other because the only consideration when they were thought up was what words would get Citizens to buy it.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

The Titanic posted:

Seems like a fairly large segment of the population believes that the game is going to be like a movie, obviously because this is all the marketing, and all the "realism" cig pumps into it.

However, by the time your ship is on fire, in the middle of a heated battle, and you have to go away from the cockpit and flying the ship to go put out a fire you're going to be dead.

Probably also, anybody on your ship who is doing that action is probably already thinking "if I a had my ship we would have 2x the firepower and not be in this situation in the first place", before both of them end up playing the respawning in your wankpod animation.

Maybe you could get this experience on a capital ship... but it won't be a cinematic experience either. It'll be a crazy thing where people are just non-fidelitously running around with whatever the repair laser is and shooting the walls.

But I guess you can dream, huh? :)

it's poo poo like this which continually reminds me that the "multicrew debate" in the star citizen community is one of the sharpest examples of delusion in game development I can really come up with on short notice. It is shared seemingly equally throughout the process on the software studio side AND the game fan/backer side — the illusion that the game is going to work without NPC crew and that the ships you are buying the idea of right now are going to be crewed by human beings besides you in common scenario.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

Playing devil’s avocado, I’m kinda surprised how many of those are in. For a certain value of in, obviously.

This is the first reply to that image

quote:

Capital 8% flyable (1)

Large 57% flyable (17)

Medium 88% flyable (21)

Small 92% flyable (54)

Snub 64% flyable (7)

Vehicle 65% drivable (13)

Core ships 65% flyable/drivable (61)

Variants 84% flyable/drivable (52)

So most of the medium and small, relatively cheap crap is in. There is only one big expensive capital ship around and 17 large ones.

But if by "in" you mean fully-featured and bug-free the number goes down to, one sec this is complicated, yeah... like a dozen small fighters?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

fire spreading through the ship and you have to leave your seat mid battle to extinguish it before it reaches the power drive or you're dead.
meeting alien civilizations
engineers having to learn the ships technical build in order to reroute power to certain relais depending on the situation, making sure the crew can survive
your own persistent quarters, hangar, habs, outpost, where all the stuff you gather will remain untill needed.
fuel, component, weapon, and ship prices all dependant on the ingame economy
triggering the most peaceful player into a cold blooded killer or he or she will lose his/her ship
org warfare
your own ship names and interiors, together with modular components, engineering gameplay, skins, outer hull wear, and battle scars making it truly your ship
100 star systems which you can visit with that ship
finding an abandoned temple or derilict spacecraft on a wild planet which you can explore
visiting a small outpost on a distant moon from an outer system
pirates trying to board your ship after they've disabled it, and you gearing up to counter them
alien animals and primitive intelligence
walking on board a docked 890 jump for a luxury mission
hacking a terminal to get valuable data back to the boss, 6 star systems away.
sending probes out to the far edge of a new found system mapping it on your holotable
loading your magazine before battle with a valkyrie on the background
boarding a derilict reclaimer
landing on a jungle planet
NPC's with full on scedules and outfits hinting where they're from.
Flying through canyons!

21 points, about 11 out of those you can already do in Elite more reliably / better than in SC (or at all, as I am pretty sure like 20 of these you cannot do in SC at all right now) and 2 - 3 pretty close (my estimation being like one major paid patch within 3 - 4 years). Also half of the rest is stupidly pointless.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Right now the Drake doors are hardcoded to be Chaotic Evil (that's why they kill you sometimes) while RSI's are Lawful Neutral. Soon they'll be able to better reflect their actions.

(Actually I believe it means that ramps and so on will extend just enough not to clip through the ground, as they often do now, depending on the terrain. Riveting super advanced stuff that's really hard to code)

What alignment is the totally-not-a-really-expensive-commercial-grade space door in their LA offices?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Prop Wash posted:

My job in star citizen will be sheet metal mechanic. I will travel from planet to planet repairing the damage that these people cause to their ships by lowering the cargo ramp directly onto rocks and debris. See you in the verse!

I will only accept this if you can intentionally put flawed pieces of metal on the ships of whales so they blow up even more easily than the ships of newbies. :colbert:

That's a top tier catte if I ever saw one!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The Titanic posted:

I started typing an effortpost that began with essentially this line, but deleted as it was like pissing in the wind.

If someone is crew and them getting up to to go put out a fire means the ship survives then pick a scenario:
  • They were doing nothing useful at all in combat so by the ship catching on fire they not have something to do, instead of just sitting there
  • They were doing something important and the ship is going to die because they aren't doing it anymore because they got up to put out the fire while the ship is still getting shot to gently caress

There is no successful scenario here.

A *lot* of these bullshit scenarios people have only work in movies and not at all if both sides of a fight have agency. Exploration doesn't meaningfully work at all in an MMO, or it's all mediocre radiant quest bullshit.

I mean If there are 99 systems the number people that get to find a new one are 98 at absolute most. Total. 98 total people forever.

Derelicts work okay a few times in NMS, but then they are samey.

Almost all of the game theorycrafting is them asking the wrong questions. It's them asking "If I flap my arms hard enough to fly to the moon, can I breathe when I get there?" and I have news, what you are going to breathe isn't remotely the practical flaw in your plan, man. It's not even a consideration.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 1, 2022

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
The only games I have ever seen 'stop doing your job which stops us being hosed and go and fix this thing loving us up' work in are the hyperniche ones like SS13 and I don't think any Citizens are going to appreciate Jingles the Clown space lubeing the mess hall of their pride and joy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BitBasher posted:

I started typing an effortpost that began with essentially this line, but deleted as it was like pissing in the wind.

If someone is crew and them getting up to to go put out a fire means the ship survives then pick a scenario:
  • They were doing nothing useful at all in combat so by the ship catching on fire they not have something to do, instead of just sitting there
  • They were doing something important and the ship is going to die because they aren't doing it anymore because they got up to put out the fire while the ship is still getting shot to gently caress

There is no successful scenario here.

A *lot* of these bullshit scenarios people have only work in movies and not at all if both sides of a fight have agency. Exploration doesn't meaningfully work at all in an MMO, or it's all mediocre radiant quest bullshit.

I mean If there are 99 systems the number people that get to find a new one are 98 at absolute most. Total. 98 total people forever.

Derelicts work okay a few times in NMS, but then they are samey.

Almost all of the game theorycrafting is them asking the wrong questions. It's them asking "If I flap my arms hard enough to fly to the moon, can I breathe when I get there?" and I have news, what you are going to breathe isn't remotely the practical flaw in your plan, man. It's not even a consideration.

I think people just kind of hope that cig is going to accidentally make a good sea of thieves or barotrauma or bridge Commander, despite none of the things they have after 10 years coming together in that way.

Kind of like you just sort of patch in VR and it works great just because they want vr one day.

I think nobody realizes that where cig is hugely deficient is the area that will prevent all these concepts from working.

That area is design.

Just having an idea is not designing out how it will work or incorporate with everything else around it.

You don't just say "oh and scrapper ships will scrap other ships!" and you have this huge amount of work already done for how it functions and needs to be coded. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, there is like a couple of hours left before the year ends and there is still no letter from the chairman. So of course the backers are now writing letters to him pleading ro be given any info, no matter how little, about the game they have sunk half a billion in.

Happy new years fudster, let's hope this one is much better than 2021, shouldn't be that hard to be honest

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 1, 2022

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
That's the kind transparent, open development we've come to expect and appreciate

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Titanic posted:

I think people just kind of hope that cig is going to accidentally make a good sea of thieves or barotrauma or bridge Commander, despite none of the things they have after 10 years coming together in that way.

Kind of like you just sort of patch in VR and it works great just because they want vr one day.

I think nobody realizes that where cig is hugely deficient is the area that will prevent all these concepts from working.

That area is design.

Just having an idea is not designing out how it will work or incorporate with everything else around it.

You don't just say "oh and scrapper ships will scrap other ships!" and you have this huge amount of work already done for how it functions and needs to be coded. :)

This plus ten million

The engineering gameplay problem with ships is pretty much the same thing as what's already happened with the medical gameplay. Noone at CIG has displayed any awareness whatsoever of the design contradictions between 'fast lethal combat' and gameplay focused on treating injuries. Ships blowing up from one strafing run and guys dying from one shot is great for being an action hero but won't necessarily work with what CIG is promising. But Crobberts likes movies. Game design is boring.

Even the power routing thing that poster was talking about is a bridge too far for CIG. Like, it works great in Pulsar Lost Colony, a game built from the ground up to support it. But we all know CIG is going to t0 a standard space game power triangle and probably bungle it anyway. This engineer better get used to loving dreams.txt because they'll need something to occupy their time while they're sitting in their friends space toilet.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

trucutru posted:

Lol, there is like a couple of hours left before the year ends and there is still no letter from the chairman. So of course the backers are now writing letters to him pleading ro be given any info, no matter how little, about the game they have sunk half a billion in.

Happy new years fudster, let's hope this one is much better than 2021, shouldn't be that hard to be honest

Some of them are way past that and already on the 'Its our fault, we don't deserve his words' stage.

quote:

Chris Roberts, pulling a Sean Murray, is a good thing.

He might be focusing his optimism on where it really matters - his team. The one's who need the most faith and stand to benefit the most from it, in these difficult times.

You see... The community is going through repeated cycles of grief brought on by a hype marathon of unprecedented duration, and the words of Chris Roberts are a balm - They make us feel better for a few days, then the next roadmap gutting... the next bug, the next nerfing of a meta will just wipe those words clean off, like yesterday's movie episodes. It's just going to backfire on the chairman, by fanning cynicism.

Roberts Space industries gives us the tools to manage our own grief - Monthly reports, comprehensive roadmaps, that let us piece together the bigger picture at our own leisure.
If you lay bare a project like that, all that the cycles of grief exudes is ignorance.

And Chris Roberts chairman letters might as well be words thrown into the wind under such conditions.

It has reached a point where only results will penetrate the mire of cynicism, on which enthusiasm, faith and optimism have long rang hollow.
He will talk once the action steps he laid out, has been taken. Until then, it's just asking a horde of angry dogs to calm down.

It is almost as if we are pledging money to expect Chris Roberts to write a letter just so we can use it to spit on his face. "Answer the Call 2016" we keep rubbing in his face, as if he pissed us off on purpose with naught but calculated contempt, or deliberate incompetence.

No. If we're backing, let us back. Backing does not mean buying the license to be a douchebag to someone who failed your specific standards.

Backing means having someone's back. Writing a Chairman's Letter is a courtesy. A formality. We definitely have not given CIG the courtesy of the benefit of the doubt, where it is due - Namely that they are trying.
So in a way, I do not see why we deserve a Chairman's letter, even though it is a professional courtesy.

But that's just my 2 Doge.

The full on cult classic. 'The aliens did not arrive to take us to the next plane of existence because we displeased them'

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think the thread page number is important because it was the age of hucksters

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Mirificus posted:

fire spreading through the ship and you have to leave your seat mid battle to extinguish it before it reaches the power drive or you're dead.

Why is everything they want SO BORING.

Yeah, that's what I wanna do when I'm having a bad-rear end space dogfight, have to get up and grab the fire extinguisher.

Super future tech ITYOOL 2948 and yet somehow the knowledge of fire suppression has been lost...

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Mellow_ posted:

Why is everything they want SO BORING.

Yeah, that's what I wanna do when I'm having a bad-rear end space dogfight, have to get up and grab the fire extinguisher.

Super future tech ITYOOL 2948 and yet somehow the knowledge of fire suppression has been lost...

Fire suppression in an all metal environment.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Lammasu posted:

Fire suppression in an all metal environment.

Also where any hull breach just means no more oxygen.

Hell, assuming the ship can just lock an airlock on the cockpit and open the doors or some poo poo to gently caress the fire off.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mellow_ posted:

Also where any hull breach just means no more oxygen.

Hell, assuming the ship can just lock an airlock on the cockpit and open the doors or some poo poo to gently caress the fire off.

Now we are back to FTL again, years ago.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Everything done in the game is done significantly better between Arma 3 or X series.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/kpmod81.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rugz posted:

Some of them are way past that and already on the 'Its our fault, we don't deserve his words' stage.

The full on cult classic. 'The aliens did not arrive to take us to the next plane of existence because we displeased them'

quote:

And when he does show up how much stir does it make as many start tearing apart statements by the syllable? Any date he has given on the fly has been way wrong. He usually has few details to offer just broad view goals. 18 month proof of life posts seem like the best course IMO.

Forget about expecting the game to be delivered in 18 months, now we're fine with having "proof of life" after that period. It's for the best, IMO.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Shazback posted:

Gotta admit I've never heard of Star Citizen having problems getting people's money...
Praise Chris for saving the PC gaming market!

Prize goes to second place guesser Dark Off then:

my guess was entirely based on funding trackers top bar for weekly/monthly gains.
and for game im choosing X4 obviously.

a game that does everything sq42 promises to do.
and now i actually wonder.

will sq42 be entirely in 2 solar systems?.
because that is all they have showcased so far.
alternatively will it be on rails missions to save up on need to create full on solar systems..
How would backers react to either of those options?

or will sq42 get delayed for 50 years to make 50 solar systems.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 1, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rugz posted:

The only games I have ever seen 'stop doing your job which stops us being hosed and go and fix this thing loving us up' work in are the hyperniche ones like SS13 and I don't think any Citizens are going to appreciate Jingles the Clown space lubeing the mess hall of their pride and joy.

Sea of Thieves does it.

Citizens want Sea of Thieves in space ...... Problem for them is that Chris Roberts can't even make a meal with more than one potatoe per person.

The other probably for them is that Sea of Thieves works because it is designed by game developers not a con man.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why to make me feel like had I read one more post into the thread, I would not have had to post my reply above this one.

I've been shipped!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Star Citizen: If we’re backing , let us back

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1477142842799804422

quote:

“I realize that some people who "play to have fun" and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However…”

Big AAA only FINALLY catching up with star citizen's revolutionary concept of playing to not have fun. chris was way ahead of the curve once again! buying another idris!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CIG's 2021 top moments email

lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wait please tell me this is a joke :aaa:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Ah I see, this was written by one of those 12 year olds that posts on game dev forums about how they have great ideas and "just need a coder" to make it happen.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Azubah posted:

The press F for respects was the Kevin Spacey game, I understand if you memory holed that jackass and anything associated with him.

Still mad we didn't get the customary Spacey christmas video.

orcane posted:

Wait please tell me this is a joke :aaa:

I think this is specifically for subscribers.

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 1, 2022

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
In Warframe, using the Railjack, my specialty is fire suppression!

A friend pilots and I'm typically in engineering. The other two players are for security or running the mission. Scrambling from place to place repairing, suppressing, and reviving like mad is a lot of fun!

I can hardly imagine how much more fun it would be to try this on an Idris; once those systems are in place decades from now.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Plan R posted:

In Warframe, using the Railjack, my specialty is fire suppression!

A friend pilots and I'm typically in engineering. The other two players are for security or running the mission. Scrambling from place to place repairing, suppressing, and reviving like mad is a lot of fun!

I can hardly imagine how much more fun it would be to try this on an Idris; once those systems are in place decades from now.

Something for your grandchildren to look forward to once they've finished a hard day's work in the deskeletonization vats

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Dear backers,

Thanks for all your money you loving simps.

Oh and buy this new ship. It's shaped like my giant cock when I am hyped on vitamins after going for a straight 3 hour run and then coming home ready to gently caress!

Love,
Chris

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

Lol, there is like a couple of hours left before the year ends and there is still no letter from the chairman.

Well, Chris is probably too busy to tell anyone to write a letter from the chairman for him. I don't know if the supply chain problems in the UK have affected the, uh, vitamin selling community, but if they have, then he's probably out trying to find some more so that he can get back to "coding."

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

This is an absolutely depressing read, the ideas expressed about humans, work, leisure time and so on are really loving dire.

Dehumanize yourself and face to blockchain.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
There is more drama and emotion in this clip than every
single Sandi movie and SC series combined

https://twitter.com/i/status/1477019041013325831

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Remember the janky Star Citizen killer Spacebourne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHQbOk6P-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Daztek posted:

Remember the janky Star Citizen killer Spacebourne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHQbOk6P-M

I was going to say that it didn't look very fidelitous, but then near the end there's a guy who fidelitously stands his ground while being shot in the face with full auto rifle fire