Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
In Feartress, how do you trigger ascension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

In Feartress, how do you trigger ascension?

Clear all the fights. You probably built around one of the churches hours ago and forgot about it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Idle skilling:

Questions about crusades.

Can I equip a bunch of cards/gear/skills that give +inactive crusaders, allocate them all, then take off those cards and still have the crusaders do their thing?

Secondly, is there like a 'best' way to allocate these guys. I tend to just leave most of them on the biggest monster for exp and then like, 5-10 on each of the other monsters just to get some crafting mats.

There are so many mats though that it's hard to actually visualize which monsters give t hings that I want/need.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ineptitude posted:

One might ask what is the point but its quite satisfying to watch these games play themselves and check in on them like once a day.
Its not that different from a Tamagochi, a lot of growth and progress happens by itself but everything eventually goes tits up if you never interact with it.

I played Kittens game and that Sandcastle game to endgame barely interacting with them and having no idea about any mechanics, and i have had AutoTrimps running for 2 years now.

I remember really enjoying Progress Quest.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Pope Guilty posted:

I genuinely don't understand the point of Autotrimps other than "my computer's fans don't run enough".

I live in the cold north (69 lat) and we need heating anyways

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Agent355 posted:

Idle skilling:

Questions about crusades.

Can I equip a bunch of cards/gear/skills that give +inactive crusaders, allocate them all, then take off those cards and still have the crusaders do their thing?

Secondly, is there like a 'best' way to allocate these guys. I tend to just leave most of them on the biggest monster for exp and then like, 5-10 on each of the other monsters just to get some crafting mats.

There are so many mats though that it's hard to actually visualize which monsters give t hings that I want/need.

1) Yes
2) I’m not sure about “best”, but that’s what I generally did.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pope Guilty posted:

I genuinely don't understand the point of Autotrimps other than "my computer's fans don't run enough".

AutoTrimps is good for the graphs you can turn off all the automation but the He graph was critical when I played for figuring out how long to do runs. It must be at least 2 years though so maybe some of that got added to the base game, or maybe another tool set has come out that doesn't include a bunch of bot scripts. Also you can pick and choose what to automate with it if I remember correctly so you just automate the parts you hate. If you only want to touch it once a month you can easily do that by enabling everything you still gotta figure out challenges.

I'm someone that tries to script as little as possible in an idle game unless a mechanic is super annoying and then just get that one out. This includes spamming click autoclickers were a must have for the longest time, so glad that's over for the most part.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 29, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Can anyone else playing Feartress figure out how the fight order works? I can figure out the type advantages just fine, but I'm seeing random units attack a random target a seemingly random number of times. It's not the 3x or 5x, and sometimes the 1x will attack 4 times in a row.

E: You know what? Maybe nevermind. The second level is just the same as the first, but you keep equipment. The tiles don't even look shuffled.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 30, 2021

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Your team goes first.

In a team's turn, the units on that team are randomly ordered. Each attacks a random enemy that hasn't already been killed. Once each unit on the active team has attacked, that team's turn ends.

So during your team's turn, an enemy might be randomly selected multiple times in a row as the target of the attack. If your turn begins with, say, 1 necromancer and 5 skeleton warriors, there's a chance several of your units in a row attack the necromancer. I believe that the chances of it happening for the next units would be (1/6^n) assuming the necromancer never dies, that is, that targets are selected without regard for unit type, just count.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jhet posted:

Can anyone else playing Feartress figure out how the fight order works? I can figure out the type advantages just fine, but I'm seeing random units attack a random target a seemingly random number of times. It's not the 3x or 5x, and sometimes the 1x will attack 4 times in a row.

E: You know what? Maybe nevermind. The second level is just the same as the first, but you keep equipment. The tiles don't even look shuffled.

Yeah the alchemy tree... is not worth a full play-through. A lot of work to get plus 20% to nature attacks, and seemingly only one type of bonus at a time. For the curious the mage tree revolves around converting scholars into fire/arcane/ice units in colleges every ten/five minutes. Definitely needs some more time in the oven. And not just for new maps.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Loop Odyssey crashed on me, losing me day of progress because of save corruption.

So I guess that is that. No way I am going to repeat that.

IMO, the game doesn't really support experimenting with short runs that much because of clumsy UI and adding new orders also gets laggy with long runs, so that is pain too.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Banemaster posted:

Loop Odyssey crashed on me, losing me day of progress because of save corruption.

So I guess that is that. No way I am going to repeat that.

IMO, the game doesn't really support experimenting with short runs that much because of clumsy UI and adding new orders also gets laggy with long runs, so that is pain too.

You have a bunch of save slots to screw around with alternate runs, and I never noticed any lagginess with new orders. Sucks about the lost save though.

Beat it yesterday, took me a while because I didn't even notice the slug and had to look up spoilers. Cute game, enjoyed it for what it was.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

You have a bunch of save slots to screw around with alternate runs, and I never noticed any lagginess with new orders. Sucks about the lost save though.

There was noticeable input lag on adding new orders (game halts for moment) after doing screen and half of all stuff for me. It got particularly bad after adding those 100 scarecrow actions.

Clumsiness of UI was needing to use the buttons to the side instead of directly clicking on the screen. Having to click on the tile to see what of three actions to use was nuisance too. Being unable to predict how the run goes before the run has gone to that point doesn't exactly help either.

So I would add some actions the queue. Then run the orders to the end to see what I should do in the current tile. Then I add new actions and repeat. It is horrible tedious system. Particularly so when entering new screens.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Another NGU-finisher checking in. It had been so long since I'd rebirthed that I forgot that gold diggers existed while I finished up all the final challenges.

Thanks 4G!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
In NGU for the hacks, when i punch in a silly high number for the level target (such as 9999) it reverts to a different lower number instead (somewhere around the 6,500) mark. It's different for each hack so i assumed it would be the maximum level, but when i set the target to 0 i seem to be able to keep gaining progress in it.

I just hit level 6757 for hack hack and thought it was the final level is all, but it's saying there's still another milestone for it in 83 levels.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Kin posted:

In NGU for the hacks, when i punch in a silly high number for the level target (such as 9999) it reverts to a different lower number instead (somewhere around the 6,500) mark. It's different for each hack so i assumed it would be the maximum level, but when i set the target to 0 i seem to be able to keep gaining progress in it.

I just hit level 6757 for hack hack and thought it was the final level is all, but it's saying there's still another milestone for it in 83 levels.

I had this happen to me too, 6757 is the max level for whatever hack it is, but the bar will keep filling up only to reset without ever increasing to 6758. The milestones probably just don't incorporate whatever the highest hack level is, that's just when the next milestone would be if you could keep going.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

I think if you hit the + next to the milestone it can get stuck trying to keep going after its hit max level. 6757 is the hack hack max though, so you're good there. I just put 9001 in all the fields so they'd default to the limit and click the button to advance the R3 and it'll skip past it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

I had this happen to me too, 6757 is the max level for whatever hack it is, but the bar will keep filling up only to reset without ever increasing to 6758. The milestones probably just don't incorporate whatever the highest hack level is, that's just when the next milestone would be if you could keep going.

Aha, well i'm gonna have to come back to that last half bar on the hack hack or it's always gonna tick me off after i complete all of the others.

Still, it feels like i hit a major milestone in completing the hack hack and I'm guessing the remaining hacks should be completed relatively quickly. I think the last hack hack level was just 20 minutes with all my resource 3 attributed to it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Idle skilling: So I'm trying to unlock the dark mode potions

Those being the ones you get after doing construction in the tunnels.

You have to do the 'pick 2 ingredients' thing for them just like anything else but man I seem to get nothing but the potions I already have? I unlocked the first 10 or w/e pretty easy but now even if I put in ingredients that are 3 or 4 ahead of what my current best potion takes to make I get a copy of the potions I already have.

In the basic potions any given ingredient combo could lead to a pretty wide outcome, so it's not impossible to hit the 5th potion with ingredients that are most likely to make the 10th potion or w/e, but it's happened like 30 times in a row and I'm wondering if there isn't some other rule I have to follow?

Do I have to use particular ingredients to unlock each potion now or something?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Idle skilling: So I'm trying to unlock the dark mode potions

Those being the ones you get after doing construction in the tunnels.

You have to do the 'pick 2 ingredients' thing for them just like anything else but man I seem to get nothing but the potions I already have? I unlocked the first 10 or w/e pretty easy but now even if I put in ingredients that are 3 or 4 ahead of what my current best potion takes to make I get a copy of the potions I already have.

In the basic potions any given ingredient combo could lead to a pretty wide outcome, so it's not impossible to hit the 5th potion with ingredients that are most likely to make the 10th potion or w/e, but it's happened like 30 times in a row and I'm wondering if there isn't some other rule I have to follow?

Do I have to use particular ingredients to unlock each potion now or something?

Dark Mode Potions require Dark Mode Botany and Dark Mode Crops to unlock/brew. The crop/plant combination needed to unlock the new potions is much more specific for Dark Mode Potions.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Right yeah, I have the new crops and the new plants and the potions themselves unlocked and etc. But using the 'make recipe' button doesn't seem to give me anything most of the time? I've unlocked all the red dark mode and like half the blue ones, but now nothing is unlocking poo poo and I don't know why.

The wiki doesn't really say either way, so I feel like I must be missing something obvious or am exceedingly unlucky.

E: nvm I'm a moron, I just got the highest potion I can possibly get already. I assumed for some reason since I saw shadow potions that I had more unlocked in construction, but nah.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 7, 2022

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Right yeah, I have the new crops and the new plants and the potions themselves unlocked and etc. But using the 'make recipe' button doesn't seem to give me anything most of the time? I've unlocked all the red dark mode and like half the blue ones, but now nothing is unlocking poo poo and I don't know why.

The wiki doesn't really say either way, so I feel like I must be missing something obvious or am exceedingly unlucky.

E: nvm I'm a moron, I just got the highest potion I can possibly get already. I assumed for some reason since I saw shadow potions that I had more unlocked in construction, but nah.

Ah, yeah, you have to unlock each batch of potions with a new Construction building, in addition to having the materials for them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Looking for a real slow roller to play, played Trimps several years ago already, and now getting into Evolve Idle. I'm approaching my fourth MAD reset, any beginners tips I should be aware of? The integrated wiki is absolutely brilliant (love how it can import your saved game info and give you numbers based off of that) but it's 99% raw data and doesn't have a lot for guides or best practices after the first reset.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Start doing 3* runs ASAP (basically everything except "no plasmids"). The increase in rewards is well worth it. Once you think you have enough mastery multiplier to make it reasonably quick, step it up to 4*.

Otherwise just keep progressing until you think you're going fast enough to push for the next level of reset.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jabor posted:

Start doing 3* runs ASAP (basically everything except "no plasmids"). The increase in rewards is well worth it. Once you think you have enough mastery multiplier to make it reasonably quick, step it up to 4*.

Otherwise just keep progressing until you think you're going fast enough to push for the next level of reset.

I'm not entirely sure how the * challenges work, but if I understand correctly you get an extra point of mastery (currently .25% production bonus) for each one you complete an achievement with? I haven't messed with them yet but they don't seem so bad -- but it's hard to tell how scary the "random negative mutation" one is. What's a good time to start doing them, when you hit the 250 plasmid soft cap and get a few of the early CRISPR upgrades?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
The first time I played Evolve, I rolled Kobolds and then refused to do a MAD reset because kobolds are cute. Ever since then I've spent ages going straight to bioseed, it's a far longer game but I also have kittens game going in another tab and that takes a good long time until the first reset so :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If I remember right sandcastle builder had a stupid long time until a reset and you could skip it. The guide I was reading said taking the resets was actually longer than not doing them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

If I remember right sandcastle builder had a stupid long time until a reset and you could skip it. The guide I was reading said taking the resets was actually longer than not doing them.

I wrote that guide :V

I recently tried to get back into SCB and the resets honestly don't take very long at all, but the dev that took over basically added all the good rewards in later because he hates resets and loves manual things, so i ended up quitting in midgame because you basically would need to have a bunch of scripts running. I didn't look into doing that because part of what makes the game good in the early phases is that you don't really need scripts because you end up waiting at least an hour between having to interact.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really wish NGU had more improvements for Boosts- I'm currently just idling the ITOPOD farming up boosts for the DUCK DUCK set and even with all the Boost improvements it still takes forever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I really wish NGU had more improvements for Boosts- I'm currently just idling the ITOPOD farming up boosts for the DUCK DUCK set and even with all the Boost improvements it still takes forever.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that your time isn't wasted. The bad news is there's a lot of waiting for other things to finish in your future anyway.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

idle skilling:

As far as spelunking goes, do I need to actually target a particular treasure to get it's card, or can any treasure drop a card at it's level and below? I have like the first 12 cards except for like, the fourth one, and at this point I spelunk too fast to actually get that treasure in a bag.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Huh, so was the area after the Amalgamation in NGU a final addition or something?

The progress up to v1 of that titan was so quick and it looks like my hacks and wishes are likely to be finished soon too.

But the requirements for the next zone seem like a big jump from where I am stats wise.

I guess that once hacks and wishes are done I'm just throwing my energy and magic into ngus and blood while I wait for my cards to increase my adventure stats?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I finished my Adv, QP, PP and Hack Hacks and I just beat Amalgamate v1. I think from here on out it just buying Adventure Stats and trying to finish the last rich jerks Adventure boosts in each feature.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

Huh, so was the area after the Amalgamation in NGU a final addition or something?

The progress up to v1 of that titan was so quick and it looks like my hacks and wishes are likely to be finished soon too.

But the requirements for the next zone seem like a big jump from where I am stats wise.

I guess that once hacks and wishes are done I'm just throwing my energy and magic into ngus and blood while I wait for my cards to increase my adventure stats?

That's been the case at the end of normal and evil too, but with those you can skip into the next difficulty now and not have to push to the v4 boss. If you're not spending all your exp on adv stats, then you're probably should start. I dislike sniping for equipment, but there's really no reason to do so in Aether. It didn't seem to speed up exp or adv stat gain, and the equipment wasn't that much of an upgrade. I'm just sitting in the between time now waiting for hacks and wishes to finish before the END.

E: The good part of that is my NGUs are mostly nearing cap, so bonus for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What kind of E/M/R3 power are people finishing NGU with?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

What kind of E/M/R3 power are people finishing NGU with?

EM pow base around 500m will cap you out probably. R3 will be no where near that because you just don't need it. Cap will be good around 5T base (5e12). I haven't bothered capping Bars because it's the difference of about 20s of waiting after a rebirth. I was EM capped by Duck Duck zone about.

Adv Stat hard caps are high enough that you won't get there. Just keep grinding them higher.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jhet posted:

That's been the case at the end of normal and evil too, but with those you can skip into the next difficulty now and not have to push to the v4 boss. If you're not spending all your exp on adv stats, then you're probably should start. I dislike sniping for equipment, but there's really no reason to do so in Aether. It didn't seem to speed up exp or adv stat gain, and the equipment wasn't that much of an upgrade. I'm just sitting in the between time now waiting for hacks and wishes to finish before the END.

E: The good part of that is my NGUs are mostly nearing cap, so bonus for me.

Jhet posted:

EM pow base around 500m will cap you out probably. R3 will be no where near that because you just don't need it. Cap will be good around 5T base (5e12). I haven't bothered capping Bars because it's the difference of about 20s of waiting after a rebirth. I was EM capped by Duck Duck zone about.

Adv Stat hard caps are high enough that you won't get there. Just keep grinding them higher.

Hmm, this is a good point. Without hacks or wishes, there's no need for R3 is there?

I'm still going to be a few weeks to complete both wishes and hacks. I think I need roughly 24 hours per hack now to get them all to the hard cap, though my longest wish (i wish cards spawned faster VI) still has 10 levels to go and the first level is still going to take 15 hours. I'm not sure how much more impact R3 is gonna have on that though, as I've not seen the number drastically fall even though I've been dumping all of my experience into R3 since I capped energy and magic ages back.

I've not really been putting any experience into adventure stats, will I start to see decent gains when dumping all of my exp into it where I am at the moment? I can auto-kill V1 of amalgamation and my optimum ITPOD floor is about 1460.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kin posted:

Hmm, this is a good point. Without hacks or wishes, there's no need for R3 is there?

I'm still going to be a few weeks to complete both wishes and hacks. I think I need roughly 24 hours per hack now to get them all to the hard cap, though my longest wish (i wish cards spawned faster VI) still has 10 levels to go and the first level is still going to take 15 hours. I'm not sure how much more impact R3 is gonna have on that though, as I've not seen the number drastically fall even though I've been dumping all of my experience into R3 since I capped energy and magic ages back.

I've not really been putting any experience into adventure stats, will I start to see decent gains when dumping all of my exp into it where I am at the moment? I can auto-kill V1 of amalgamation and my optimum ITPOD floor is about 1460.

Yeah, R3 becomes useless without hacks/wishes to spend it on. I'm idling 1540, and still need another many billions PP to finish perks, and quirks are a bit closer. Nothing really helps anymore except more EXP. I have probably 2 weeks running hack gear to finish those, and who knows for wishes. The gear calc just sits when I try to figure out optimal there. The worst part is I still have to finish all the challenges (because, that's why), so I'll need to sit and build Adv Training levels again. I honestly forget to check some days because there's nothing to do but wait and rebirthing is inconvenient.

You will absolutely need to spend into adv stats if you want to get there. There's nothing else to spend it on anyway. When you do is up to what you want to do. If hacks/wishes are moving quickly enough (they seem to be), then you're set on R3 for now. You can always dump more into it later if you need. (for reference, I have wish 225 left as well, but at 314b power r3 (base 14k) it has 28 hours for the first level).

Edit: This has made me rebirth and finish challenges. I hate you all, but myself most of all for clicking the button. No time like the present.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 8, 2022

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm, OK yeah I'll just start putting all my exp into the adventure stats now I guess.

Wishes will still take a while and it actually looked like my hack speed was improved on each rebirth by using the mcguffin booster item rather than what I was throwing into R3 (though it undoubtedly helped).

There's still lots to do though I get about 2/300k QP a day IIRC (60 million pp). Its still gonna be a bit of a grind to get those last perks, but it doesn't feel insurmountable.

I'm still spending all my cards on QP at the minute but not sure when to stop to switch back to adv stats. My numbers might be a little off but I think you need like 10 million QP for that final perk. So I should keep spending the cards on QP until I get like 1 mil QP a day or something?

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I would have finished NGU Idle last month, but I realized too late how to trigger Move 69 and now the last roadblock is just waiting for the cooldown.