Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RangersFC/status/1476130921094987776?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This pandemic time dilation is crazy if 2012 is 150 years ago

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

reminder that nottingham forest football club, two-time european cup winners, were founded seven years before rangers

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that nottingham forest football club, two-time european cup winners, were founded seven years before rangers

You need to win the European Cup Winners' Cup to be considered a Major European Club.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Frankston posted:

You need to win the European Cup Winners' Cup to be considered a Major European Club.

probably should have at least played in europe this century.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Rangers are never ones to worry about accurate statistics

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Her Dryer posted:

Rangers are never ones to worry about accurate statistics

I see the Lib Dems are trying to make a comeback in Scotland.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Guess what the subject of this article is by reading the first four paragraphs:

quote:

On days like these, as the calendar ticks around, as we link hands and sing of our joy at being one notch further on the doomsday clock, it is customary to talk about hopes for the future and life lessons learned from the last 12 months of kicking balls, running around tracks, driving fast cars and all the rest.

Except of course, there are no actual lessons to be learned from professional sport, which is basically lighted shapes moving on a screen, digital celebrity worship, a confusion of desires coopted into a pay-per-view entertainment product.

Perhaps at if we dig a little deeper and adopt a twinkly, world-weary frown, we might say the only lesson to be drawn from sport is that there are no lessons, that what really matters is, you know, the friends we made along the way, the show, the harmless distraction.

Which is fine, but it doesn’t explain why nobody really thinks that, and why we are all still so violently addicted to this, splayed on our backs like dying woodlice, maws crammed with 24-hour rolling hot opinion-substance, big match acton live-streamed to the inside of your eyelids. Or why so much energy is expended on picking shapes and stories out of that confusion, anointing heroes and castigating villains, like dogs barking at the skies.

It's about Bruno Fernandes

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Gave it away with the part about spending game time "splayed on our backs like dying woodlice"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hassenhuttl was talking after the spurs game bow having a week off had really helped and he too has moaned since about this being postponed lol

https://twitter.com/Britrock/status/1476900802681790466?t=m-WRbDxrz3jH99_4G0RJkQ&s=19

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Won't make a difference. Newcastle are getting relegated anyway even with their new petro-daddy owners

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Won't make a difference. Newcastle are getting relegated anyway even with their new petro-daddy owners

So brave

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't get relegated if you keep postponing and never finish the season

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/JohnTerry26/status/1477258855549739010?t=Z_p0saVmYgjWEGLQSPeJyg&s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
England's Brave Ape John Terry

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Some suspect names on that list for best of the best ever.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbh I strongly suspect g nev and scholes would tell them to piss off

neville for political reasons, and scholes would stare at it while asking what the gently caress the point of it was

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just make Scholes in the shape of a foot, he'll gladly accept one then

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:bisonyes:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This Arsenal fan is having a totally normal reaction :staredog:

https://twitter.com/ddoublepivot/status/1477293213320986626?t=5S9uNe4ne37coX1uL0g3uQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/ddoublepivot/status/1477294445112569860?t=K6nA3xkTaUQazre6jL8Bvg&s=19

https://twitter.com/ddoublepivot/status/1477294630987251712?t=S2ErZJrim9c1srZjzLUtIg&s=19

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Psychotic.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Sad to see brapbrapbrap got even more brain damaged and became an Arsenal supporter.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We’ve wasted more money on bit part players like drink water, Emerson, bakayoko, Barkley. Take the loss with lukaku, accept we shouldn’t have tried to fix what wasn’t broken in the first place (unless it was for a world beater like haaland) and move on. The board have made so many astonishingly bad decisions in the past ten years, if they side with lukaku over tuchel that would be the final straw for me and I will never purchase a chelsea product from the megastore again.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I think that Chelsea getting hosed over transfers is cool + good + should never stop

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Remember Lukaku signint for Chelsea being heralded as an insanely good purchase that would guarantee Chelsea would sweep the league.

That said I remember the same about Werner and Havertz as well.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Remember w00bi who was obsessed with Lukaku round 1 and couldn't hold his pints when he met GOM at a pub for a 4:30 start?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I miss w00bi. This isn't the remember when thread but remember when he accidentally watched a recording of the first leg of a champions league tie and was posting in the MDT as though he was watching the second leg

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

I miss w00bi. This isn't the remember when thread but remember when he accidentally watched a recording of the first leg of a champions league tie and was posting in the MDT as though he was watching the second leg

w00bi was an actual cool and good Chelsea poster and I remember this as well.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sticksy posted:

w00bi was an actual cool and good Chelsea poster and I remember this as well.

He was a scientist who liked to read. A good man.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/rsl/2022/01/05/andy-larsen-first/

quote:

RSL, from 2008 to 2013, were about as joyous as a fan experience can be. The winning was brilliant — at one point, RSL didn’t lose at home for 25 straight games. The triumvirate of the uber-strong yet gliding Jamison Olave, the cerebral and directive Nat Borchers, and the miniature athletic fast-twitch freak that is Nick Rimando in goal allowed just 20 goals all season long, setting a record for MLS’s best ever defense that still stands today. Kyle Beckerman washed away opponents with his competitive fire. And, God, the things that Javier Morales could do with a soccer ball at his foot still make it into my dreams today.

But most importantly, the vibes were immaculate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Dejan06Lovren/status/1482637597323284481?t=LKMpOqk7JJU0bR226lT5Fg&s=19

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/1482791070509510662?t=CPyS6l-girrGnUo1PiYiOw&s=19
https://twitter.com/carrusel/status/1482742728077332488?t=JXNWFqRUh29CrPqr0PwJfg&s=19

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This to me was the most important thing said over the last week. We have seen the complete and utter lack of reaction to Burnley's latest postponement - as of this morning Burnley are bottom of the table with SIX games in hand. And let me get this straight, I don't want a pile on on Burnley; but the double standards are outrageous.

So thank you Micah Richards for breaking with the convention of not referring to the obvious anti Arsenal agenda in football.

And it's going on as long as I can remember.

People were unhappy we brought in a foreign manager in Wenger; we weren't the first to bring a foreign manager on board but it only becomes an issue when we did it.

We signed too many foreigners.

When we had an entirely non English match day squad 16/17 years ago we were criticized, despite the fact we weren't the first team to do that. I forget who the team was but it wasn't that long before us; and part of the reason I don't remember who that team was is because you guessed it; it was only highlighted when we did it.

Ferguson's response to us having a better team in 2002 was to just kick lumps out of us, and referee's, afraid of Ferguson - which was recently acknowledged by Mark Clattenberg - let them get away with it. The likes of Allardyce decide I'll have a bit of that and the era of "Arsenal don't like it up them" was born. It was never called out, and in fact it was celebrated.

That culture led to the career changing injuries inflicted on Diaby, Eduardo and Ramsey. Again, not called out; not quite celebrated but we were actually blamed. It was theorised that the reason we were getting these injuries was because we the way we played was too fast for opposition and we made ourselves prone to mistimed challenges. Blame Arsenal, don't call out the free license for opposition to go in that bit harder on Arsenal.

And in Ramsey's case, we were somehow made the villains and Shawcross the victim. Stoke fans still hold grudges to this day over that incident - I'm sorry but they are clinically insane.

Our decline over the last five years was celebrated, Sky pundits sang with the Brentford fans at the start of the season when they beat us.

We all know what has happened in the last few weeks. I know there are dozens of other examples we could add in to all the above but I'm not trying to write a novel here.

We're showing signs of coming back, we have an excellent chance of returning to the champions league this year and a lot of people who had hoped we would just go away don't like it. gently caress them, gently caress them all. And I don't know what it is about the last few weeks that has riled me up so much but the upshot is I have never been more proud of the Arsenal.

Victoria Concordia Crescit.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They’re right about the Stoke fans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1484931026543689731?s=20

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I would pay good money to see either of Jack Wilshere or John Terry explain what blockchain is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Jack Wheelchair is still without a club I believe so I’m sure he’s willing to glom onto any random money-spinning grift