Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dudes their size were pretty rare back then, and Big Daddy had charisma. I don't get it, but people paid to see him for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Big Daddy was an actual draw it wouldn't be an issue but his run on top led to decreased crowds and pulling the hogan of keeping guys down cause they work only works when your an actual major draw

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as I understand it Big Daddy becoming the face of World of Sport meant that after a while the show/promotion was kind of a joke, it was cancelled and the catch style of UK wrestling just kinda went away, right in time for WWF reruns to start taking over.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dawgstar posted:

I'd almost want to say Junkyard Dog because it feels like Meltzer likes to run JYD down a whole lot.

Little kid me loved Junk Yard Dog!

I loved how he would get on all fours and headbutt dudes.

Obviously it wouldn't work today, but I liked it. And I matter, damnit!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Tory government of the 80s trying to "smarten" British culture up by killing off what were perceived to be lower-class entertainments like wrestling, combined with Sky bringing in WWF as a comparatively better-looking and more valuable product probably would've done the scene in anyway, but Big Daddy certainly didn't help. I would not be surprised if he was who Meltz was referring to.

As for who he appealed to, I guess people just love big fat blokes. Really, if anything is promoted heavily it will almost certainly get some number of takers. Roman Reigns might have been overexposed for years but he seems to have more fans than ever now, even if that's just more people vocally backing the brand he represents rather than the wrestler himself.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s obviously WIBBLY WOO WOBBLY WOW WOBBLY WOBBLY WOBBLY WOW

No, that's a Hulk Hogan promo.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Tory government of the 80s trying to "smarten" British culture up by killing off what were perceived to be lower-class entertainments like wrestling, combined with Sky bringing in WWF as a comparatively better-looking and more valuable product probably would've done the scene in anyway, but Big Daddy certainly didn't help. I would not be surprised if he was who Meltz was referring to.

As for who he appealed to, I guess people just love big fat blokes. Really, if anything is promoted heavily it will almost certainly get some number of takers. Roman Reigns might have been overexposed for years but he seems to have more fans than ever now, even if that's just more people vocally backing the brand he represents rather than the wrestler himself.

British people were a lot skinner in the 70s and 80s due to differences in diet. I'd imagine that contributed to the impression of Big Daddy being larger than life.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
people throughout history have liked watching big lads paw at each other. this goes way back before professional wrestling

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean for all the pro wrestling available to me in this day and age, sometimes it's still just fun to sit back and watch Daisuke Sekimoto try to figure out what the gently caress he's supposed to do with Ryota Hama

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean for all the pro wrestling available to me in this day and age, sometimes it's still just fun to sit back and watch Daisuke Sekimoto try to figure out what the gently caress he's supposed to do with Ryota Hama

quote:

Ryota Hama is a retired Japanese sumo wrestler and current professional wrestler, signed to Big Japan Pro Wrestling in the Strong BJ division

I've got some ideas.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

Little kid me loved Junk Yard Dog!

I loved how he would get on all fours and headbutt dudes.

Obviously it wouldn't work today, but I liked it. And I matter, damnit!

Oh, JYD is great and has earned his place in history. Look, if you can go out there and win over crowds to the point where they want to shoot a Freebird for you just by being charming, dancing and throwing headbutts I think every wrestler should do that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, JYD is great and has earned his place in history. Look, if you can go out there and win over crowds to the point where they want to shoot a Freebird for you just by being charming, dancing and throwing headbutts I think every wrestler should do that.

If that results in Michael Hayes being shot that's cool

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I asked this in the WWE thread, but it would probably better go here.

You know the famous story Patrice O'Neil tells of being phoned several times by Stephanie McMahon to be fired because he wasn't upset enough for her liking the first time?

Has Stephanie ever corroborated this story? (It makes her look bad, so I am almost sure she wouldn't.) Or denied it?

And has any other writer/producer/backstage person, (or indeed wrestler), ever told a similar story about getting fired multiple times on the phone coz they want you to suffer?

I am not casting doubt on the story, coz it is exactly the sort of petty self aggrandizing bullshit thing that WWE, and Mrs. S. Levesque would do. Just asking if there is corroborating evidence.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, JYD is great and has earned his place in history.

Wasn't JYD a big deal in Mid-South when Bill Watts was running things?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
One of my earliest wrestling-related memories was JYD doing milk commercials. I never got the cartoon as a kid and when Superstars started airing in late 1987 I was confused as to why the Dog wasn’t the biggest star on the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

edogawa rando posted:

No. He was the BIGGEST DEAL.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am not casting doubt on the story, coz it is exactly the sort of petty self aggrandizing bullshit thing that WWE, and Mrs. S. Levesque would do. Just asking if there is corroborating evidence.

I've always figured it was a comedian exaggerating, and what probably happened is that she fired Patrice, he said "OK cool" or something nonchalant like that because he didn't like it there anyway, and Stephanie thought he didn't get it so she called back to clarify.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat how did I not know Patrice worked for WWE he was incredible!

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The biggest mindfuck for me was finding out that Bob Mould from Hüsker Dü worked for WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zombie Lemur posted:

The biggest mindfuck for me was finding out that Bob Mould from Hüsker Dü worked for WCW.

And was one of the more promising minds in the company.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Tory government of the 80s trying to "smarten" British culture up by killing off what were perceived to be lower-class entertainments like wrestling,

Sorry to come back to this but wait what? How were they doing it?

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Zombie Lemur posted:

WWE should've hired Paul Westerberg as retaliation

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

No, no, he was in the Replacements. Retaliation were the ones in masks and named after weapons.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok, so I know next to nothing about British wrestling and I've rarely seen Big Daddy outside of a couple clips. Why did he suck so bad and yet seems to have been very over in his part of the world?

William Regal attempting to explain Big Daddy on Steve Austin's podcast :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JtMgLgWsew

The TLDR is that after so many years of watching 2/3 fall technical matches, Big Daddy was basically Goldberg.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Only if he was an onscreen character and took a stunner after Austin said "sorry ma, forgot to take out the trash."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

Oh, yes. The Dog was the biggest draw Mid-South had in the early 80's, spurred by some very hot angles like the one with Michael Hayes. It could not have been planned better. They ran a thing where JYD was 'blinded' and the real kicker was Dog's daughter was just born so it was played up like JYD might never be able lay eyes on his own child. Chef's kiss. The Dog was so over that during said angle there's a story (which has been told the same way by different people so it's probably as true as any wrestling story) where they'd have JYD come out with a cane to the ringside while his friends fought the Freebirds and during one such instance a very inebriated fan slurred "Don' worry, Dawg, I got 'im!" and supposedly pulled a gun with which to shoot Hayes in retribution. JYD was frozen as if he did anything he'd break kayfabe and was genuinely weighing how mad Watts would be versus Hayes' life but the cops were quick to subdue the guy.

This does illustrate just how over the Dog was. He had white people willing to shoot other white people wearing the Confederate flag in the Southeast for him.

Now while I genuinely don't think anybody in our little sub-forum family thinks so, but just in case you might think - because that has been pushed, often by Watts himself - that maybe Watts wasn't racist because he pushed a Black man and made him his champion when nobody else did consider that when the Dog was poached by Vince Watts thought that they only needed another Black man to fill that void. Even Watts didn't get that the Dog had It.

JYD was my first favorite wrestler and in fact in the first wrestling match I ever saw, on a Saturday Night's Main Event with Terry Funk. (It's all been downhill from there.)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can someone find me some long running feuds where one side lost literally every match in said feud via pinfall or submission and only "got their heat back" with after match shenanigans and still ended up elevated in the esteem of people for it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

Can someone find me some long running feuds where one side lost literally every match in said feud via pinfall or submission and only "got their heat back" with after match shenanigans and still ended up elevated in the esteem of people for it?

Austin never beat Bret Hart once, and I'm pretty sure WWE thinks it'll always work like that

(Ignoring the fact that both were world class wrestlers, and that Austin was an excellent talker)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

every single feud mankind/mick foley ever had in wwe

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alaois posted:

every single feud mankind/mick foley ever had in wwe

As funny as this is to say, it's not really true per cage match.

Mick Undertaker - KOTR 96, SummerSlam96
Mick HHH - Shotgun Saturday Night[DQ], Canadian Stampede[Double Countout],SummerSlam 97,Raw.
Mick NAO - Raw, Raw, Raw[DQ], Raw
Mick Austin - Unforgiven[DQ].
Mick Rock - Rock Bottom[ref decision], RAW, HalfTime Heat,

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin never beat Bret Hart once, and I'm pretty sure WWE thinks it'll always work like that

IYH Revenge of Taker[DQ],Raw[No Contest], but yes you are correct that the austin never went over with a pin or submission on Bret.

edit: Although looking at the record for Austin it is kind of amazing that I remember Austin/Hart as a huge thing, but really it was only seven months of programming proper with eight televised matches and four of those being multiman matches, and five of those eight being PPV.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 1, 2022

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Raven owned Tommy Dreamer and it only made ECW fans love Dreamer more.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ganso Bomb posted:

Saw someone post a screenshot of an old magazine ad for IWA play-by-mail wrestling and decided to look it up. This loving thing is still going! Did anyone do this growing up? A friend and I did it for at least a few cycles. I remember getting the newsletter in the mail and having our characters mentioned in there was the coolest poo poo as a kid. Blows my mind that it's still running all these years later (and has a website that still looks the part for a play-by-mail wrestling game: https://www.playiwa.com/main.htm).

I played that game for so loving long
From a precocious 12 year old in 1991-2003.
Then I came back in 2006-2010.

It was frankly a dumb game but it was so loving important to me.

To my credit I wrote some amazing promos. To the point where when I included another guys' wrestler he said 'why do I even write my promos when you write my characters better than me?'

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 2, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is there any word on when the new day's contracts might be up?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

long time away

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the new day's contracts are all up at the same time as the other wrestlers who are leaving when their contract is up. kevin owens, sami zayn, and tony cesaro will be joining a new wrestling promotion all at the same show alongside big e, xavier woods, and kofi kingston. they all want out

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

What examples are there in WWE of poorly received booking that "played out" into something actually good?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How long were the Bushwhackers even in WWE? Everybody remembers them, but wasn't it like a year and a half and that's it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How long were the Bushwhackers even in WWE? Everybody remembers them, but wasn't it like a year and a half and that's it?

According to Cagematch they started in December 1986 & their run finally ended in September 1996, winning in a house shown program with Justin Bradshaw & Zebekiah

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wikipedia says 88-96 with a short hiatus in 95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh holy poo poo, I only remember them showing up for a couple matches in the late 80s and then the Jameson run in the early 90s.