Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Been having some real fun with AoS minis this year. Cracked out the lightbox to get some good shots.

Currently working on the Stormcast Dragon with it's excellent buy one get one free miscast offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Harkano posted:

Been having some real fun with AoS minis this year. Cracked out the lightbox to get some good shots.

Currently working on the Stormcast Dragon with it's excellent buy one get one free miscast offer.

Fantastic. I love that Kroak model so much and you made it look awesome.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I played my first game against Maggotkin of Nurgle last night (I have slaves to darkness). Wooh boy those guys are tough, and the constant stream of mortal wounds once you're in combat with them is a real killer. We were fairly level on objectives - battleplan was Tectonic Interference - but I simply ran out of men after a while. I was tabled in Round 5, score 28-22 to him (and it would have been 28-20 if I'd not won the roll to go first in Round 5, as he could have tabled me at the top of the round. Are those guys considered a top-tier army now or anything? They seem to be at quite an advantage against my chaos warriors or another mate's Blades of Khorne.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So far they are not considered anything special but might be a sleeper. What kinda bugs me is that S2D should have good game against them since you have good average saves and 5+ against mortal wounds. Especially now that most of their stuff deals out disease instead of straight mortals

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Magic posted:

Fantastic. I love that Kroak model so much and you made it look awesome.

Thanks, he's so detailed it was intimidating! I followed Duncan Rhodes guide which made it a lot easier.

What's the difference between Maggotkin and Nurgle Daemons? They can take all the Daemon stuff, but also have access to some mortals?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Harkano posted:

What's the difference between Maggotkin and Nurgle Daemons? They can take all the Daemon stuff, but also have access to some mortals?

Nurgle demons are not separate army - both demons and mortals are magotkin. However there is separation in the book in what traits, spells and artifacts mortals and demons can take. Outside of that they can mix and match in the same army

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/31/miniature-of-the-year-2021-the-results/

Miniature of the year winner announced, and it's not one I had expected actually.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That’s a good choice. Good for crabby boi, too.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Be'lakor is the best choice and I'm glad to see Duinclaw up there. Wishing for a crab herd for the Idoneths 🙏

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I played my first game against Maggotkin of Nurgle last night (I have slaves to darkness). Wooh boy those guys are tough, and the constant stream of mortal wounds once you're in combat with them is a real killer. We were fairly level on objectives - battleplan was Tectonic Interference - but I simply ran out of men after a while. I was tabled in Round 5, score 28-22 to him (and it would have been 28-20 if I'd not won the roll to go first in Round 5, as he could have tabled me at the top of the round. Are those guys considered a top-tier army now or anything? They seem to be at quite an advantage against my chaos warriors or another mate's Blades of Khorne.

Maggotkin's mortal wound output is quite nasty against certain armies, and they're very tough to shift, but overall their damage output is actually pretty anemic and they're extremely slow. They're definitely not top-tier and while I think they're getting underestimated a bit right now just because they got a new book that wasn't absurdly power-crept, most competitive players seem to think they are a B-tier army and I'd be inclined to agree. They're quite solid and very fluffy now, but shooting armies like KO and Lumineth just laugh them off the board and it doesn't seem like they're able to pump out enough damage to reliably kill a mega-gargant in one turn, which would pretty much disqualify them from being a top tier army automatically.

That said I'm excited to see if some strong builds shake out for them because they're a joy to paint, and small, elite armies without a ton of annoying rules interactions to keep track of are my favorite armies to play.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GW just posted a teaser for 2022. I can't help to see a bunch of Nighthaunts there, and hopefully not all those elves are space elves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyjtY8L2hHM

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The one with the whip is most likely DoK or maybe Malerion's lot of Shadow elves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
looks like at least one Ossiarch Bonereaper in there as well

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maggotkin's mortal wound output is quite nasty against certain armies, and they're very tough to shift, but overall their damage output is actually pretty anemic and they're extremely slow. They're definitely not top-tier and while I think they're getting underestimated a bit right now just because they got a new book that wasn't absurdly power-crept, most competitive players seem to think they are a B-tier army and I'd be inclined to agree. They're quite solid and very fluffy now, but shooting armies like KO and Lumineth just laugh them off the board and it doesn't seem like they're able to pump out enough damage to reliably kill a mega-gargant in one turn, which would pretty much disqualify them from being a top tier army automatically.

That said I'm excited to see if some strong builds shake out for them because they're a joy to paint, and small, elite armies without a ton of annoying rules interactions to keep track of are my favorite armies to play.

Thank you for the context! I think you might be referring to a level of competition beyond me and my friends' current level of understanding - and I'm not sure any of our armies would qualify as B-tier. But good to know they're not considered a broken book or anything.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So far they are not considered anything special but might be a sleeper. What kinda bugs me is that S2D should have good game against them since you have good average saves and 5+ against mortal wounds. Especially now that most of their stuff deals out disease instead of straight mortals

Thanks - the disease points did seem to rack up quite quickly for me actually, maybe it doesn't help to be an exclusively close-combat army where things tend to get bogged down in combat for multiple turns. The 5+ save against MWs on knights and warriors was helpful, but also spiky - there were times he scored 3 MWs on me and saved all of them, and others where he scored 5 and they all went through. I did notice that when the disease hit my units without such a save (Marauder Horsemen or Sorcerer Lords) they went through them like tissue paper.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

looks like at least one Ossiarch Bonereaper in there as well

Yeah, looks like maybe the Executioner from the Underworlds warband is becoming a new unit, which would be cool because that sculpt is rad as hell.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thank you for the context! I think you might be referring to a level of competition beyond me and my friends' current level of understanding - and I'm not sure any of our armies would qualify as B-tier. But good to know they're not considered a broken book or anything.

Thanks - the disease points did seem to rack up quite quickly for me actually, maybe it doesn't help to be an exclusively close-combat army where things tend to get bogged down in combat for multiple turns. The 5+ save against MWs on knights and warriors was helpful, but also spiky - there were times he scored 3 MWs on me and saved all of them, and others where he scored 5 and they all went through. I did notice that when the disease hit my units without such a save (Marauder Horsemen or Sorcerer Lords) they went through them like tissue paper.

Marauder Horsemen are well served by never sticking close, for sure. Retreat/Shoot and keep away is their big thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cooked Auto posted:

The one with the whip is most likely DoK or maybe Malerion's lot of Shadow elves.

I wonder if the bloody hand focused on at the end is Malerion or a new Avatar for 40k.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Avatar. The sword is a no seller that it's the Avatar of Khaine.
Not to mention rumors and leaks have pointed to an upcoming release of one as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if the bloody hand focused on at the end is Malerion or a new Avatar for 40k.

Bloody hands are kinda Khaine's thing and Malerion isnt even the guy impersonating Khaine in AoS. Combined with the 40k rumors and there is zero chance its Malerion.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Not to mention Malerion has been pitched as being in Uglu, the shadow realm ( :v:), associating with shadow demons, and looking pretty shadowy in his art.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/03/celebrate-this-years-store-anniversaries-with-a-brand-new-inquisitor-and-gutrippa-boss/

AoS store anniversary model this year will be one of Krule's Boys.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

In a rare turn of events I like the 40k mini better

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

In a rare turn of events I like the 40k mini better

In fairness though, that inquisitor is rad as hell.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Dang I want that Kruleboy but there are no GW stores anywhere near me lol. Wonder if it will be possible to eBay one for a reasonable price, or do these minis usually get ridiculously scalped?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

or do these minis usually get ridiculously scalped?

It's an exclusive warhammer mini, what do you expect?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

It's an exclusive warhammer mini, what do you expect?

Hah, good point. I was hoping the fact that they're available for like an entire week would make them a little less limited than the Games Day models or something. I usually don't care about these but this is the first time I've wanted both the AoS and 40k one.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

That is a really sweet vulture.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hah, good point. I was hoping the fact that they're available for like an entire week would make them a little less limited than the Games Day models or something. I usually don't care about these but this is the first time I've wanted both the AoS and 40k one.

You can probably find a goon to just pick them up for you for cost+shipping.

I would do it, but you'd have to wait as my store's anniversary isn't until October. Also I'm in the US if that matters.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Nurgle demons are not separate army - both demons and mortals are magotkin. However there is separation in the book in what traits, spells and artifacts mortals and demons can take. Outside of that they can mix and match in the same army

Thanks! On the website with the categories is it because they exist in their own section so you can run all flavours of Daemons together? I've heard people talk about playing 'Slanesh Mortals' - is that different again?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Harkano posted:

Thanks! On the website with the categories is it because they exist in their own section so you can run all flavours of Daemons together? I've heard people talk about playing 'Slanesh Mortals' - is that different again?

So basically the way Chaos factions work is you can blend mortals and daemons together, but for some of them - most notably Khorne and Tzeentch - a lot of the synergies are specific to either mostly mortals or mostly daemons. Nurgle is somewhat less so but only due to lack of unit variety, and Slaanesh...well, Slaanesh all-mortals just isn't very good, you need a mixed army. They're not separate factions, but for the most part daemon units only buff other daemon units, same with mortals, with a few notable exceptions.

There is an all-gods Daemons only faction in the form of Legion of the First Prince, though it has very few competitive builds. (The one it's got is just really good.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harkano posted:

All the Daemons are only together in the 40k section.

All the Chaos Armies tend to be themed around one god. And those armies can take both Daemon and Mortals.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Floppychop posted:

You can probably find a goon to just pick them up for you for cost+shipping.

I would do it, but you'd have to wait as my store's anniversary isn't until October. Also I'm in the US if that matters.

Ah, I thought they were limited to one per customer, that might be a possibility then! My permanent address is in the US but I've been outside the country for work and there aren't any stores here at all as far as I know, so if I could get one picked up and shipped by a goon I'd be more than happy to pay cost + shipping + a little extra if it means not paying a scalper's ransom.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

What's the verdict on new Maggotkin?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chosen-...1-127632-2357-0

If you only read one completely insane eBay listing today, please make it this one. Full fuckin manifesto in the item description.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

zerofiend posted:

What's the verdict on new Maggotkin?

I'm back from game against them. While my oponent played like a complete rear end I can say they sure can take it. Also contangion points rack up quickly but they are not super impressive as far as mortal wound output goes.

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 8, 2022

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I have played against new Maggitkin with Sons of Behemat and with Stormcast. Maggotkin seem solid and the disease points have a real impact if they can spread them around to several units. My stormcast army got bogged down and lost the attrition war. But they lacked the concentrated output to bring down my mega-gargants.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Asphyxious posted:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chosen-...1-127632-2357-0

If you only read one completely insane eBay listing today, please make it this one. Full fuckin manifesto in the item description.

Just keeps going and going like what the fuc

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/09/a-massive-battlebox-sees-an-ancient-grudge-reignite-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview

Fire Dwarf and Fish elf box goes up for pre-order next weekend. Alongside the Pirate Orge gang.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/09/a-massive-battlebox-sees-an-ancient-grudge-reignite-in-this-weeks-sunday-preview

Fire Dwarf and Fish elf box goes up for pre-order next weekend. Alongside the Pirate Orge gang.
That was fast. Now I hope they say something about new battletomes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wouldn't surprise me if we heard something about that next week.