Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Computer viking posted:

Are you also a Clean Desk, Inbox 0 guy?

I’m an Inbox 0 guy, but I open all emails on my iPhone anyway (to check links or headers on a non-Windows system), but I send all the websites I need to read or research further to Edge or Opera on my desktop even though I’m not always home to read immediately.

Sometimes after a trip I have like 40 tabs open when I log on :smug: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Fire posted:

Why not try something like Sidebery, which is a vertical tab bar extension that uses a tree structure, then you can hide the horizontal tab bar with userchrome.css. That way you can always see the tab titles and you can minimize trees if you want to save space~

I guess because the only real "issue" I have with having a ton of tabs open is the amount of RAM it uses. Using different add-ons to move them elsewhere wouldn't really alleviate that.

If I was born 20 years earlier I'm pretty sure I would have been crushed to death by old newspapers and VHS tapes.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

"Chumbawumba4ever97" posted:

If I was born 20 years earlier I'm pretty sure I would have been crushed to death by old newspapers and VHS tapes.

lol I’ve been inpatient with other schizophrenics and obsessive-compulsives who still video tape CNN for various crazy reasons (yes, I said crazy people do crazy things).

As recently as 2021 outpatient groups was the first Fox News hoarder (always, always it’s VCR tapes!) I’d ever met. He was in his early twenties.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks for the advice; dumb question but how is that any different than just opening a new instance of Firefox and starting a 2nd tab "group" that way?

Not a lot different at all? Mostly a second firefox window you can't "hide", while a STG group has zero visual weight while you're not using it.

But I feel like if you're inclined to open another window to work on a new task or topic, you're not much of a tab hoarder in the first place. Windows are easy to close when you're done, and having a bunch of browser windows open is annoying enough to find reason to close them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess because the only real "issue" I have with having a ton of tabs open is the amount of RAM it uses. Using different add-ons to move them elsewhere wouldn't really alleviate that.

Most browsers have pretty good memory management these days. They sleep tabs that are not in use.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Not a lot different at all? Mostly a second firefox window you can't "hide", while a STG group has zero visual weight while you're not using it.

But I feel like if you're inclined to open another window to work on a new task or topic, you're not much of a tab hoarder in the first place. Windows are easy to close when you're done, and having a bunch of browser windows open is annoying enough to find reason to close them.

Oh no I meant I would still keep the original Firefox instance open haha

Internet Explorer posted:

Most browsers have pretty good memory management these days. They sleep tabs that are not in use.

I didn't know that. Makes me feel a lot better. Thank you!

DerekSmartymans posted:

lol I’ve been inpatient with other schizophrenics and obsessive-compulsives who still video tape CNN for various crazy reasons (yes, I said crazy people do crazy things).

As recently as 2021 outpatient groups was the first Fox News hoarder (always, always it’s VCR tapes!) I’d ever met. He was in his early twenties.

If you'd like like to know my psychology, and many others behind it, it's the idea that "you never know when you might need it some day". A good example would be that whenever I get a new computer or OS hard drive, I keep the old drive, including the entire contents, even the Windows folder. And what do you know one time a year ago I had to find proof that we faxed something from four years earlier and I was able to find where Windows Fax stored the sent fax file deep within the Windows subfolders.

With the VHS CNN thing I bet it's because the person recording knows that no one is bothering to archive that stuff so they probably felt it was their obligation. You never know if someone would ever need the 11 o clock hour from June 23rd, 2022 and the crafty recorder can pull it up from their archives. Sounds ridiculous but they you remember stuff like that kid who almost went to jail for murder except they proved he wasn't there because unused b roll footage that someone stored for some reason of a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode proved he was at a baseball stadium at the time of the murder.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

With the VHS CNN thing I bet it's because the person recording knows that no one is bothering to archive that stuff so they probably felt it was their obligation. You never know if someone would ever need the 11 o clock hour from June 23rd, 2022 and the crafty recorder can pull it up from their archives. Sounds ridiculous but they you remember stuff like that kid who almost went to jail for murder except they proved he wasn't there because unused b roll footage that someone stored for some reason of a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode proved he was at a baseball stadium at the time of the murder.

the funny thing is that if you actually know how to look at actual archives there are tons of recordings of every major american news network already, that stuff is research gold so every archives with a video collection takes their own recordings and has been doing it for decades, let alone stuff they're sent from their local news stations or the broadcasters themselves. archivists know people will need that b-roll or the 11 o'clock news and they do keep it for specifically that reason, it's their job.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is that if you actually know how to look at actual archives there are tons of recordings of every major american news network already, that stuff is research gold so every archives with a video collection takes their own recordings and has been doing it for decades, let alone stuff they're sent from their local news stations or the broadcasters themselves. archivists know people will need that b-roll or the 11 o'clock news and they do keep it for specifically that reason, it's their job.

Well 99% of that stuff isn't available to the average person so maybe that's why they do it. Or could it be something I was just reminded of:

There was a short period of time when I first started my job as a steamfitter, I started buying newspapers because my partner always did and it was something to do in the work truck (it was like 2005 or so, so smartphones didn't exist) during lunch or when there was downtime like when we had to wait for a contractor or something. I started bringing my DS eventually instead but I still kept buying newspapers, and eventually I had a stack of like 30 of them. My reasoning was "I'll get to them some day, and there might be a really important article in there that I'll miss!" which to be fair to me did in fact happen once or twice (I found out about a restaurant my wife and I are so obsessed with we still go to this day that I would have never heard about) which only solidifies the hoarding justification.

One day I got fed up and threw it all out. I also did the same with cables I had in my basement (you know, the power cords that come with stuff like video game systems or component cables that came with an old DVD player or whatever) and I got fed up one day and threw them all out; it was 8 goddamn garbage bags.

That one has definitely bit me in the rear end a few times when I needed a cable RIGHT NOW (and also some cables can be a good $20 even used on ebay) but I am still glad I did it. The digital hoarding I justify because it doesn't take up any physical space.

Also I don't know that everything is archived and available. I was watching the Brittany Murphy documentary HBO just put out (it's really good and I'm not even a fan of hers or anything) and they showed a clip of her on David Letterman and you could tell it was a VHS rip uploaded to Youtube. If a major media giant like HBO can't get access to CBS's archives of Letterman, then it's as good as lost in my opinion. I still want to see every instance of Pimpbot 5000 on Conan O'Brien. They have never released them and I can find maybe 3 on Youtube out of the 25 times they must have had him on.

Same thing with Saturday Night Live. My sister and me were obsessed with this Tracy Morgan sketch where he's trapped inside of a movie theater and the previews and announcer keep mocking everyone about how they will never escape and the doors were locked from the outside. We saw it once when it aired in 1998 or whenever and never again. NBC has these bullshit 25 minute episodes on Hulu of old episodes because they're too cheap to pay royalties for music used in most sketches so they chop out literally 70% of the episode. The only way we were ever able to watch the sketch again was I got super lucky and found a torrent of each individual season that was being shared by literally one person and took me over a month to download due to only having one seeder. The picture quality sucks (they are all VHS rips and are like 600mb AVI files) but we can actually see the sketch (and obviously others) again. If some crazy person didn't record every single episode, and then didn't store them for 20 years, and then that same person didn't bother to upload them to the internet, they'd be gone forever.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 17, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Arivia posted:

Archiving for b-roll and video taping things in highest quality (fills tape every 2 hours!) because “hackers can erase memory cards with Psi-beams” are different animals. The majority of “archivists” is a different set than “hoarders,” even those who happen to hoard data. These guys (never women?) have hundreds of thousands of video tapes (all labeled and stored effectively, granted!) and like twenty VCRs in the attic for redundancy and/or backups. I know crazy, and it’s not the archivists for the local NBC affiliate strapped down and sedated :bang: one room over!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah I remember that Tracy Morgan movie previews sketch

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think some Dr Who episodes were recovered from someone's compulsive VHS recordings. There was also a lady that recorded massive chunks of television (including early CNN) that are of historical interest:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/marion-stokes-television-news-archive

The link claims that broadcasters habitually erase old tapes to make room for new stuff so an unbroken record of what was broadcast is rarely possible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you guys are interested in this kind of thing (archival, historical significance) you should look up the diary of Sam Pepys. I follow the Twitter account that reposts his diary entries to the day several hundred years later and it's been very entertaining (@samuelpepys).

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Currently downloading 11 and takin the plunge!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I remember that Tracy Morgan movie previews sketch

Previews Jingle:
Thank you for coming to Loew’s.
Don’t think about leaving
The doors are locked from the outside!

*"I Feel Good" by James Brown plays as moviegoers rip Will Ferrell's limbs for sustenance.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Are there any good options for loudness equalisation in Windows 10? (Making loud things quieter, and quiet things louder.) My old PC's native mobo driver used Realtek HD Audio, which had it as a built-in setting, but the machine died a death. My replacement laptop just has Realtek Audio, which comes with no such option. I'm getting awful tired of having to choose between being deafened by explosions, or being unable to hear dialog :(

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Allyn posted:

Are there any good options for loudness equalisation in Windows 10? (Making loud things quieter, and quiet things louder.) My old PC's native mobo driver used Realtek HD Audio, which had it as a built-in setting, but the machine died a death. My replacement laptop just has Realtek Audio, which comes with no such option. I'm getting awful tired of having to choose between being deafened by explosions, or being unable to hear dialog :(

The enhancements tab should have a loudness equalisation option

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Some media playback software will have options for it in their own settings.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

c0burn posted:

This is exactly what I meant by the new Realtek Audio driver having no such option, though. Like so:

Now, after some more digging around, it turns out that bottom option is sort of what I want... Because it does include the loudness equalisation, but it also includes a bunch of other effects that I really, really don't want (including one that introduces a noticeable delay in the audio, so all videos immediately become out of sync with their audio). The specific sound effect options were meant to be offloaded to the new Realtek Audio Console app. But it turns out Asus, who made the laptop, has deliberately overridden that and prevents the RAC from displaying any the sound effect options, in order to utilise its own equaliser. Uninstalling their equaliser doesn't fix that; it still won't display. What a load of horseshit :( So yeah, I'm kinda stuck needing some other way of introducing it, if at all possible.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some media playback software will have options for it in their own settings.

Not all, and not enough, unfortunately. Including, but not limited to, Netflix's own app.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

c0burn posted:

That's a driver / hardware dependent feature. I have a real sound card and it doesn't have the enhancements tab at all. (It does have an independent volume normalize feature on its own software control panel, but it works totally different from the windows one.)

Allyn posted:

Are there any good options for loudness equalisation in Windows 10? (Making loud things quieter, and quiet things louder.)

Aside from the windows feature or media player software that has normalization it's pretty tough. If you're using web browsers for most media playback because you're watching youtube/netflix and listening to spotify, you're kinda boned. The one option I can see is using VB Audio Cable to run audio through a VST. Instructions here, but then instead of running just one audio source through the virtual cable, you set it as your system default to pipe everything through the normalizer.

Volume / loudness normalization is the proper keyword to search for BTW (normalize). MS called it "equalization" to be more understandable for normal people, but that's wrong. An equalizer is the thing that lets you bump frequencies up and down. Though that does bring up another possibility:

Allyn posted:

being deafened by explosions, or being unable to hear dialog :(
are your speakers or headphones maybe just too bassy? Lots of poo poo these days has stupidly over-emphasized bass, because that's what the youth enjoy. Possibly you could make the explosions and dialogue more balanced by just using the software equalizer in the realtek control panel to lower bass and boost the upper midrange. Even the cheapo realtek version has an equalizer.

edit:

Allyn posted:

But it turns out Asus, who made the laptop, has deliberately overridden that and prevents the RAC from displaying any the sound effect options, in order to utilise its own equaliser.
Oh, maybe you can get the windows one you're used to by uninstalling the asus-provided drivers and installing generic realtek audio drivers instead. Should work, they're all the same hardware really even though every OEM feels the need to have their own driver.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 24, 2021

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Klyith posted:

Oh, maybe you can get the windows one you're used to by uninstalling the asus-provided drivers and installing generic realtek audio drivers instead. Should work, they're all the same hardware really even though every OEM feels the need to have their own driver.

Huh, the old Realtek driver didn't work at all (wouldn't produce any sound, had me worried for a second). Hitting Roll Back Driver didn't actually revert, but instead changed the driver to the ultra-generic "High Definition Audio Device," not even mentioning Realtek. This one does produce sound, and does bring back the enhancements tab, including Loudness Equalisation/Normalisation! So task failed successfully, I guess :) Appreciate the help, cheers!

(PS, it was definitely an issue of loudness, not bass. It's hooked into a proper speaker setup, complete with subwoofer. If it was a bass problem, I could literally feel it, ha.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Allyn posted:

Huh, the old Realtek driver didn't work at all (wouldn't produce any sound, had me worried for a second). Hitting Roll Back Driver didn't actually revert, but instead changed the driver to the ultra-generic "High Definition Audio Device," not even mentioning Realtek. This one does produce sound, and does bring back the enhancements tab, including Loudness Equalisation/Normalisation! So task failed successfully, I guess :) Appreciate the help, cheers!

(PS, it was definitely an issue of loudness, not bass. It's hooked into a proper speaker setup, complete with subwoofer. If it was a bass problem, I could literally feel it, ha.)

I've long considered buying a stand-alone compressor (and limiter) to solve this kind of thing once and for all.

It's kind of under control on the TV, since that's driven by a linux PC and over in linuxland you can hook things like EasyEffects in between the applications and the output, but that does add a little bit of delay, and sporadically you have to restart easyeffects or the browser to get sound. There's also an option in the receiver we use (with three vaguely described intensities), and it's better than nothing but not super.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Question: What sort of factors should I consider when deciding to put either Win 10 Pro or Win 11 on some computers I will be building over the next month or so ? One will some iteration of an AMD 2600 AM4 socket series CPU, second one is an i5-11600K and the last one will most likely be an i7-12700K. I have not actually used 11 at all yet but I did read about 11 having better support for the new 12xxx series CPUs and the P/E core thing they have going on.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

codo27 posted:

Bothers me to no end that loving phone browsers just keep tabs open and dont close them out as you open new ones. So if you dont close them out yourself you wind up like my mom who has like 400 open on her god drat ipad

Settings > Safari > Close Tabs

and you can set tabs to be closed if they haven't been viewed in a day, a week, or a month

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

101 posted:

Settings > Safari > Close Tabs

and you can set tabs to be closed if they haven't been viewed in a day, a week, or a month

I believe when they added this a while back they also popped up a dialog upon launching safari to choose one of these options

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Allyn posted:

Don't know if this helps, but I just read about it today:
EarTrumpet

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I had Ear Trumpet forever until the updates (apparently? IDK) fixed the Realtek drivers. I didn't even realize ET had been turned "off," because it still loaded at startup and was in the tray. I ended up uninstalling it because once Win10 does something by default it usually doesn't need ( or play well with) 3rd-party equivalent tools.

Until Win10 gets a tiny-footprint setting for a hotkey sound-source-switcher (headset=>Realtek speakers & back) I'll keep using SoundSwitch, though. But Ear Trumpet is legit and I think I've used it and its predecessors since XP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I can vouch for Ear Trumpet. I use it primarily to swap back and forth between my headset and speakers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

101 posted:

or even your year.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

~Coxy posted:

or even your year.

Thank you, good to know I wasn't the only one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the thread recommendations for removing audio from a video so I can upload to YouTube? I tried VLC but for some reason it isn't working properly

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

What's the thread recommendations for removing audio from a video so I can upload to YouTube? I tried VLC but for some reason it isn't working properly

If you can handle command line, ffmpeg does this stuff the best.

ffmpeg -i "inputfile.xxx" -c copy -an "outputfile.xxx"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

If you can handle command line, ffmpeg does this stuff the best.

ffmpeg -i "inputfile.xxx" -c copy -an "outputfile.xxx"

Oh snap perfect, used to use that in my PS3 Media Server days. Thanks.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

I used Firefox ever since it released because I was just so happy to get rid of Internet Explorer, and I used it for probably 15 years until they "re-did" Firefox a couple years back and destroyed compatibility with most of the add-ons. The worst one for me was them banning the TabMixPlus add-on. Basically if you have say more than 10 tabs open, it would add another vertical row. I loved that so much. But when they got rid of it, I moved to Chrome because I found it faster and there was no reason to stick to Firefox for me any longer.

I found out a few months ago that if you use Firefox Nightly (or the developer one; I think I opted to use Nightly because they said the developer version might not always be around or something? I forget), there's an an add-on called Paxmod that brings back exactly what TabMixPlus did and it's fantastic. I am not sure of the specifics as to why but apparently Paxmod won't work with regular Firefox, only Firefox Nightly. But after months of usage I am so glad I went back to Firefox (...Nightly).

I tend to have a lot of tabs open at once, especially when doing something like research on a topic, and Chrome ends up looking like this:

It drove me absolutely insane and I couldn't take it any more, and luckily saw other people who couldn't stand it either and that's when Firefox Nightly was recommended to me. So this is what tabs look like now for me in Firefox:

It's just so so much better to me. I would drive myself nuts in Chrome and Edge having to guess what a tab was before clicking it.

Other stuff was really annoying me too like how Chrome and Edge will only retain your search history for 3 months. That's pathetic in my opinion. My guess is they do this because they want people using Bing or Google to find an old site rather than just in the URL history bar. Meanwhile with Firefox I just remember one vague word from a site I visited 13 years ago and it pops up in the address bar. This has saved my rear end probably a dozen times so far.

Even little stuff like Chrome not having a title bar drives me nuts. A few weeks ago a Firefox update got rid of the title bar (without asking me :argh: ) and it drove me crazy for the two days I thought I was forced to use it without one. But Firefox owns so they let me bring it back with a simply check box in the menu that I didn't see at first.

I also noticed in the rare times I use Chrome or Edge these days, I am getting ads in Youtube even though I have uBlock Origin installed on both of them.

The only thing I will say Firefox kind of sucks at compared to Chrome or Edge is auto-filling your name, address, credit card info, etc on checkout pages. I'd say like 30% of the time Firefox just does not fill it out for me. Which is the height of laziness but there's been a time or two that it hosed me out of a PS5 preorder or whatever. But other than that I can't express how much better I find Firefox. Even little crap like there still being a drop down arrow to see previously visited sites where in Chrome and Edge I need to get my keyboard involved every time (I like to recline in my chair and just use my mouse sometimes, like I'm Hedonismbot). There's even a really cool thing in Firefox I just discovered where you can simply assign a letter to a website. For example, in the url bar usually when I type the letter f and then press enter, it will bring me to forums.somethingawful.com because it's my most visited site beginning with "f". But if I wanted to, I could tell Firefox to change it to a different site that I visit less often, like farts.com or whatever.

Holy poo poo, if I can get this to work, you've made my day. I miss tabmixplus so much!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Vasler posted:

Holy poo poo, if I can get this to work, you've made my day. I miss tabmixplus so much!

I solved this issue (shitload of tabs) by embracing multiple desktops again. Binding desktop switch left/right to the side keys on my mouse makes it all Minority Report.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FunOne posted:

I solved this issue (shitload of tabs) by embracing multiple desktops again. Binding desktop switch left/right to the side keys on my mouse makes it all Minority Report.

Plebiscite. I hear Hawking used his computer with one (1) finger!

Honestly, though, what was his everyday system like? Moving my (fully functioning, non-painful) hands and arms is soooo exhausting! I could be using both hands to eat Taco Bell from GrubHub instead of this here Win10 entirely PnP ecosystem in my attic hovel!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Vasler posted:

Alternative solution for this is Tree Style Tab. Nice feature for it is the any of the branches can be condensed or expanded separately. It's the only way to survive for us true tab hoarders.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 1, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saukkis posted:

Alternative solution for this is Tree Style Tab. Nice feature for it is the any of the branches can be condensed or expanded separately. It's the only way to survive for us true tab hoarders.

Is this available to Edge/Opera/Chrome? My "daily driver" is Edge because I'm terribly happy with its sync between my Apple products and my Win10 products, but big research papers and PDFs are sent to my desktop so I can read them easier with my bad eyes. I use Opera and Chrome for separate things specifically but this looks more awesome (and easy to follow) than Opera's vertical tabs.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Saukkis posted:

I've messed with tree style tabs before but man, I miss my stacked tabs like Chumbawumba4ever97. I think we may be kindred spirits - piles of tabs open and pining for the days of yore when tabmixplus let us organize things.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is this available to Edge/Opera/Chrome? My "daily driver" is Edge because I'm terribly happy with its sync between my Apple products and my Win10 products, but big research papers and PDFs are sent to my desktop so I can read them easier with my bad eyes. I use Opera and Chrome for separate things specifically but this looks more awesome (and easy to follow) than Opera's vertical tabs.

Forest looks like what you want, but I haven't used it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saukkis posted:

Forest looks like what you want, but I haven't used it myself.

This looks promising. Away from my PC at the moment, but I emailed the link to myself to open so I wouldn't forget to try it. Thanks a bunch!