Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

I had the exact same reservations as you going into it because I also tried using a steam link and it sucked rear end but the wifi PCVR on the quest 2 is nothing short of sorcery. You need optimal conditions; not even necessarily a *good* router, but a 5ghz router hard wired to your PC.

They added the wifi thing like a year after the quest 2 launched, which is why you don't always see it mentioned in documentation.

Well, my modem/router is pretty old, but I do have a Microcenter in driving distance so I could pick up a relatively cheap one there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As much as I complain, the Reverb 2 has super nice speakers. Hot drat.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t get the elite strap.

I have this one and it’s been great. It’s beefy and good for big heads

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092VJKR3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9H7MH5RFX1W5CQVW95S8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dang, the elite strap + battery + carrying case was one of my holiday presents. Its a much tighter fit than the standard strap, but when I turn the knob on the back that extends/tightens the strap it makes this cracking sound that just sounds like it'll break some day.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Node posted:

Dang, the elite strap + battery + carrying case was one of my holiday presents. Its a much tighter fit than the standard strap, but when I turn the knob on the back that extends/tightens the strap it makes this cracking sound that just sounds like it'll break some day.

It will in fact break some day. The sides of the strap are incredibly brittle and have a very high breakage rate. I’ve had to replace one and several friends have as well. Fortunately, you will get a free replacement if you contact support. It just takes 1-2 months.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Behind the times but I caved and ordered a Quest early in my new years' drinking, if anyone still needs it post a referral thing and I'll use the next one I see when I'm setting up in a few days.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Resident Evil 2 and 3 vr mod has been released, with full motion controls. https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.1

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm a bit confused about Sidequest and how it relates to Virtual Desktop.

Apparently in the past Virtual Desktop required a special version from Sidequest to run PC VR games? Maybe? But now it doesn't?

Do I need to give a poo poo about Virtual Desktop from Sidequest, or does the version from the normal Oculus store cover all my needs?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
-Generic 6DOF VR support to RE7, RE2, RE3, RE8, DMC5, and MHRISE

-Early WIP motion controls for RE8

:captainpop:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Apparently in the past Virtual Desktop required a special version from Sidequest to run PC VR games? Maybe? But now it doesn't?

Do I need to give a poo poo about Virtual Desktop from Sidequest, or does the version from the normal Oculus store cover all my needs?

All of Virtual Desktop's functionality works out of the box now. You can also use AirLink, the Quest's official (and free) way of doing it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Buy Virtual Desktop on Oculus store.
Install streamer app from website.
Be done with it.

The rest is old and don't matter.

Tho, try airlink first. some people have great luck with it and if all you want is pcvr wireless it might work for you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of airlink, looks like my router modem has AC band on it and it has a SSID dedicated to it, though I would need to move my other devices off of the 5Ghz SSID. I will see if that works well.

If it comes to it, however: I wanted to have a router that I could dedicate the VR to but I only have the one Ethernet connection to router modem. Is it possible that I could get a router, connect it to the main router modem via LAN, and use that as the access point?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of airlink, looks like my router modem has AC band on it and it has a SSID dedicated to it, though I would need to move my other devices off of the 5Ghz SSID. I will see if that works well.

If it comes to it, however: I wanted to have a router that I could dedicate the VR to but I only have the one Ethernet connection to router modem. Is it possible that I could get a router, connect it to the main router modem via LAN, and use that as the access point?

you want the router you're using to be wired directly to your PC, it doesn't matter whether it has internet

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tip posted:

you want the router you're using to be wired directly to your PC, it doesn't matter whether it has internet

The problem is that I only have one ethernet port on my PC.

I could use a hub but I am not sure how well that will play.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 1, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Either get a card or a USB 3 ethernet dongle. They're pretty inexpensive.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shoefish posted:

Resident Evil 2 and 3 vr mod has been released, with full motion controls. https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.1

Any guinea pig available?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't have a coin to toss to Steam, but I read some feedback in an Oculus group, and the person said it was excellent and utilised similar and the same VR mechanics as RE4, and is better. I will likely give it a go if I keep hearing such great feedback.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
This game looks absolutely terrifying but I'll give it a shot and let the thread know. Can't be scarier than thinking about 2022

Has anyone figured out a perfect pelican case or whatever size for a DAS'd Quest 2?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Unlucky7 posted:

The new dedicated AP does NOT ned to be wired directly to your PC.

You want your PC to have a wired connection to your network. You want your new dedicated AP to have a wired connection to your network. You want your new dedicated AP to be in the same space that you will be playing VR.

Make sure you are connecting to 5ghz on the dedicated AP. With the above in place it will work great.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Been having a blast with I Expect You To Die (the first one), but holy poo poo I never knew subtitles done poorly could induce vr nausea. Had to turn them off immediately.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been loving my Quest 2. I ended up getting the 128GB model and the air link works surprisingly well.

Given the smaller internal memory I wanted to get some opinions on the "Must Have" games that I should get that I can load direct to the Oculus Quest 2 for traveling/showing off to family.

I'm thinking RE4 could be really cool but at that price point I want to make sure it's worth it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I got the deluxe strap for the Quest 2, but I still feel like it could be more comfortable. It feels like too much of the weight of the unit rests on my face.

What's the most comfortable setup people have found? I have a big head, if that helps.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

m.hache posted:

I've been loving my Quest 2. I ended up getting the 128GB model and the air link works surprisingly well.

Given the smaller internal memory I wanted to get some opinions on the "Must Have" games that I should get that I can load direct to the Oculus Quest 2 for traveling/showing off to family.

I'm thinking RE4 could be really cool but at that price point I want to make sure it's worth it.

RE4 is great and worth the money.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gort posted:

I got the deluxe strap for the Quest 2, but I still feel like it could be more comfortable. It feels like too much of the weight of the unit rests on my face.

What's the most comfortable setup people have found? I have a big head, if that helps.

Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, VR Cover pleather padding replacement, 3D printed adapters and a 10000mAh Anker battery pack stuck to the back with velcro straps :retrogames:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
RE4 is my favourite VR game and it's going to get even better once Mercenaries is out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Resi4 is an absolute hoot in VR. I’d throw one of the periodic OCULUS30 codes at it tbh, but I do that for all games. I’d argue it’s worth the cost of admission if you can take the hit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every time I play RE4VR I'm amazed that it wasn't built from the ground up for VR. It's my first time playing the game ever and it's seriously incredible.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Every time I play RE4VR I'm amazed that it wasn't built from the ground up for VR. It's my first time playing the game ever and it's seriously incredible.

Same. I think it's why I love it so much, it's the first time I'm experiencing it. And it's a classic for a good god drat reason, it's the first True Classic AAA game to be fully playable and with full interactivity - Alyx is too short to count imo.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Weird question, but does anyone else feel a lingering after effect when you're finished playing VR? Almost like my eyes need to readjust to the real world.

20 mins later and my head feels "floaty" for lack of a better word

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SCheeseman posted:

Vive Deluxe Audio Strap, VR Cover pleather padding replacement, 3D printed adapters and a 10000mAh Anker battery pack stuck to the back with velcro straps :retrogames:

Cool, I'll give it a try. Not gonna bother with the battery pack, but I might do a roll of coins or some other "dumb" counterweight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

m.hache posted:

Weird question, but does anyone else feel a lingering after effect when you're finished playing VR? Almost like my eyes need to readjust to the real world.

I have this, especially when I play a lot of vr in the past few days. Its like my brain doesn't acknowledge what real life is for a few hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Node posted:

It will break someday but until then, enjoy it! The elite strap is a good strap when it’s in one piece

Be very careful not to flex the elite straps arms out sideways or twist the strap with regards to the headset. They break right where they connect to the quests little stubby arms. Not flexing them will likely prolong their life

The good news is the quests stubby arms seem very reliable and I’ve never heard of them breaking so worst case you enjoy your elite strap while you have it and wishlist another one on Amazon for when the day comes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

It will in fact break some day. The sides of the strap are incredibly brittle and have a very high breakage rate. I’ve had to replace one and several friends have as well. Fortunately, you will get a free replacement if you contact support. It just takes 1-2 months.

Speaking of, just now I noticed of the new 'fracture' line on the right side of mine! It's almost broken, around 80% of the total height. I will submit a ticket to Oculus...
(I had already another fracture in the left side since some months ago, hold in line with electrical tape)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 1, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

m.hache posted:

Yes, this happens, especially to new players, it’s your brain adjusting to the VR world and then back to the real one. This goes away after a while.

Just wait till you get the effect where your brain doesn’t really believe where your arms or hands are in real life because it’s used to VR arms :psypop:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I've given it a go. RE2 wasn't entirely self explanatory to get started with - you have to enable first person in the mod menu, it doesn't enable itself, and because it is still bound to the in-game mechanics you have to hold the right grip to ready the pistol then the trigger to shoot, but the in-game text still says LT + RT, so I had a frustrating ten minutes getting killed by the first zombie as I had no idea what the game expected of me.

That's just inevitable jank from an initial release though - once I was past those two issues, it was really impressive and seems good enough to play through the game with, even at this early stage. The cutscenes place you inside the camera, so it jumps about a lot, occasionally clips you into objects and allows you to look around and see all kinds of off-screen figures that you aren't meant to, but most of the cutscenes are in-game as it's pretty cool to view them almost as dioramas. There's a first person cutscene option that I haven't tried yet, that may be the best option for now.

It's easy to install as well, so definitely worth trying.

m.hache posted:

Yeah, that's normal, you'll adapt over time. It can still happen to me even now depending on the game and intensity of motion, but mostly isn't an issue now.

E: if your elite strap cracks, some electrical tape seems to do the trick. I couldn't work out how to get it replaced, I don't know if it's just a US thing?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 1, 2022

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, this happens, especially to new players, it’s your brain adjusting to the VR world and then back to the real one. This goes away after a while.

Just wait till you get the effect where your brain doesn’t really believe where your arms or hands are in real life because it’s used to VR arms :psypop:

2 layers deep into the matrix. Bound to run into issues when you run a virtual machine in a virtual machine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Where the hell is the first-person option in the RE2VR mod menu? I can't even find it, unless you have to be out-of-game in order to enable it.

Also the mod menu likes to bug out randomly, apparently. I "minimized" it then it just wouldn't come back, at all. Or sometimes I'd get two menus overlapping each other.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

m.hache posted:

It's awesome that this is a near universal phenomenon. Walking around out of VR for the first few weeks really feels like you're a disembodied head floating around.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Where the hell is the first-person option in the RE2VR mod menu? I can't even find it, unless you have to be out-of-game in order to enable it.

It should be about halfway down, in the menu that appears when you look at your left hand.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The kiwi strap (there's 2 main ones, I'm talking the one that can pivot up like a HALO strap) is decent. Comfortable, takes a lot of pressure off your nose and distributes it onto the forehead and back of your head. Not too bad if you wear glasses, but I know I need to get some lenses for the inside pretty soon. Reccomundo, although it will make you want a new, cushier facial interface (suggestions??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

m.hache posted:

Walkabout MiniGolf has been the game its been easiest to get someone whos never done VR to play. Its very to the point but also shows you how BIG VR spaces can be even if you dont move around