Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Knot My President! posted:

I haven't played since... launch I think and I had a blast. I'm thinking about getting back into it and was wondering what has changed since I last played?

There's more building pieces, and food has been rebalanced slightly. But it's fundamentally still the same, particularly the exploration aspect. I think there was exactly one new thing to go see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nice I’ll boot it up and check it out :) thanks everyone!

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
They recently added a new swamp-specific armor set that requires a resource from a new monster type that lives in that biome. It's essentially the swamp's version of a troll and is pretty intimidating the first time you see it.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Is there a point at which that armor is useful? You should be wearing bronze and working on iron gear at that point. It seems like you're way past the protection it offers and even needing the passive skill boost.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Is there a point at which that armor is useful? You should be wearing bronze and working on iron gear at that point. It seems like you're way past the protection it offers and even needing the passive skill boost.

A couple of the pieces have useful resistances on top of the flat armor so they're better than they look at a glance.

edit: And lower movement speed hit than other armors at roughly the same tier

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 1, 2022

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
It's basically bronze, but better. Same armor tier, better movement restriction, passive resistance to poison (blobs) and pierce (archers and adventurous mosquitos) on two pieces and then a set bonus for bow skill. You either get the mats for it while getting iron and upgrade as an in between, or you skip it. If you are using troll and skipping bronze, then it's a worthwhile upgrade for sure.

But yeah, it's not going to revolutionize the mid game or whatever nonsense

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah the biggest change was that the mob spawn rate was cranked way up.

People keep saying this but I honestly haven't noticed it. We've always had to wade hip deep in greylings, it's not a new phenomenon.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Resistance to poison in the biome where you face a poison boss seems really good.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Reik posted:

Resistance to poison in the biome where you face a poison boss seems really good.

Considering how easy it is to stay stocked with poison resistance mead, having it passively on a piece of gear is mostly just a nice QoL thing that saves you an inventory slot and having to quaff a potion every 10 minutes: Cool to have, but hardly essential.

The pierce resistance is a much bigger deal, because starred Draugr archers are nasty as hell.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BrianRx posted:

Nobody should ever make Bronze Armor. The armor has a hefty speed penalty that is not justified by its protection values, and bronze is sufficiently irritating to gather that you should use all of it for tools. Instead rely on troll hide for armor, and then go straight to Iron.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Picked this game up yesterday. Played for about 4 hours or so. Killed the first Forsaken. Then the crow directed me to black forest, which on my map was across the ocean, so I built a raft and sailed across. Landed, fought a few small mobs, then a giant blue thing appeared and one-shot me. I woke up back in my base (across the water) naked with an empty inventory.

10/10

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Nobody should ever make Bronze Armor. The armor has a hefty speed penalty that is not justified by its protection values, and bronze is sufficiently irritating to gather that you should use all of it for tools. Instead rely on troll hide for armor, and then go straight to Iron.

Don't you need to take a trip to the mountains to get trollhide to parity with bronze? It's been a while, but I thought the top level of the armor required obsidian or something for either the gear or the crafting table upgrade. If not, great, I hate bronze armor for the reason you mentioned. Mining in general, or at least the gameplay loops during the time you are gathering bronze and iron, just kind of sucks. I don't remember silver being that bad, but it's way more fun when the materials you need for that tier are dropped by enemies.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely disagree, i love scouting for resources, setting up forward outposts and the like. Way more fun to me than having to think about what to do with my inventory all the time after fighting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The mining/logistics part of this game is what makes it stand out from the sea of open world survival bullshit out there; if I could just farm kills and teleport crap everywhere instead of actually building my way through the world then this game wouldn't have been my GotY.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At first I absolutely hated the ore mechanics and was eyeballing all the mods that happened to have a random 'by the way click here to enable ore teleporting' option but stuck with it. Now I will admit that I did increase the inventory size of both the cart and the boats, but not by much, and overall the experience has been pretty great. There's a certain satisfaction of loading up the boat to the brim with ores and sailing back to base all the while thinking of what I'll make with it. I also don't fault people that flipped that mod switch and just teleport or world hop, but I appreciate that the default forces you to haul it.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Building infrastructure and transporting it is fun. I appreciate that the game gives you reasons to build stuff beyond it looking cool. But when I'm like 5 iron ingots short of a critical upgrade, it's a tremendous pain in the rear end to have to go do the loop all over again. Sometimes I want to explore, fight, or move toward the next goal rather than spending an entire session sailing to my swamp base, diving into a crypt, getting the iron into the boat, then sailing home and smelting it. Compared to skins or black metal, it can be a tedious chore if you're not in the mood for it.

But as mentioned above, that's why there are mods for literally everything in the game and why I have played vanilla maybe four hours total. Different strokes for different folks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I could see them relenting on no ore through portals eventually, say 75-99% of the way through the completed game they add something rare you can socket into portals to let them transfer the big stuff.

Until then feel free to mod the game in whatever way makes you feel how the game "should" be for maximum fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah actually, upgrading particular portals to be able to transport metals (probably with a high metal cost) would be a decent balance change, to at least allow transport between major bases on a server.

But I don't know how to square that with the malleability of portals (smash to recover resources, or just rename).

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
"No, see, if you wanna teleport metal you need the BLUE fire portals"

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I wouldn't mind transporting the or if I didn't need three metric tons of iron to make a loving dagger. The costs are way, way out of line.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Bronze has the copper tin mixing thing and iron just took SO MUCH of it. The next two metals feel better. It's funny, my first impression was that they were "too" fast but then I realize the first two metals just gaslit me into thinking every tier should be that long.

Oh to the guy asking what changed in patches, I think crypt iron sludge takes half as many hits to break now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah actually, upgrading particular portals to be able to transport metals (probably with a high metal cost) would be a decent balance change, to at least allow transport between major bases on a server.

But I don't know how to square that with the malleability of portals (smash to recover resources, or just rename).

A few ways: you could get an item you carry that lets you move some metal through portals while you're wearing it, though that is another inventory object. You could get different types of portals with higher costs that let metals through. You could have a new building that puts off a radius that makes portals move metals. If the exit portal governs the property of it you could just build portals as normal while being able to take them back, I suppose. And if it's the entry, you might need some infrastructure so you can't just throw them down wherever really quickly. Or you could tie it to placing items on the world altars as a way of strengthening the teleport web.

I'm picturing something like a tier back, so you can portal bronze stuff after you beat bonemass and iron after Moder.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The ore system works really well for me and my play group. We're on our second playthrough (restarted with H&H) but I'm the only one who plays more than once a week. During the week I pretty much only build bases, then during our weekly group session I've always got some needed resource lined up for the group to go on an expedition to acquire.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or you can just throw together a simple shack with the requisite crafting stations at the nearest safe-ish spot to where you're mining and craft whatever you need the metal for, since you can bring objects made of metal through portals just fine.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or you can just throw together a simple shack with the requisite crafting stations at the nearest safe-ish spot to where you're mining and craft whatever you need the metal for, since you can bring objects made of metal through portals just fine.

The problem with that is that the upper tier crafting stations themselves require metal to build and upgrade. If you plan really carefully you can avoid multiple trips but usually its faster to just sail most of it home.

Or do what I do and use it as an excuse to build a new base in each biome.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

they should nerf portals to make the mats unrecoverable probably.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That would totally ruin my playstyle of exploring till dark then slapping down a workbench and portal and skipping home to drop off all the poo poo I've gathered and sleep.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

That would totally ruin my playstyle of exploring till dark then slapping down a workbench and portal and skipping home to drop off all the poo poo I've gathered and sleep.

Easy compromise is making only upgraded portals or the portal strengthener not have recoverable materials. Though one thing I really like about constantly recoverable stuff isn't the ease of recycling so much as the ability to move it around a base as you expand or move, so I'm still not that big a fan of unrecoverable anything.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, the check has to be on the in end (out end and you just place one in your base and remove that element of the game), and making it unrecoverable is just a message to the player to rely on portal escapes even more rather than building up the forward base it's placed at.

IMO the best solution with elements currently ingame would be to just make it very heavy and only craftable at a very heavy workstation, like 400-500, make the player prove they can do a safe cart run. Alternately, give it some really strict building requirements, like 15 units high and must be sheltered to function or something.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
No portals for ore or metal, but add NPCs that will (slowly) move them for you if you have enough of an infrastructure for them to travel along--bases with close enough waystations, roads, ports within range of each other etc. I'd like to just drop ore at a station and have it wind up back home, but only because I built a bunch of stuff on the way.

That's not a real recommendation though, because that's not really what this game is, but I think some NPC management might be kind of fun.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

piL posted:

No portals for ore or metal, but add NPCs that will (slowly) move them for you if you have enough of an infrastructure for them to travel along--bases with close enough waystations, roads, ports within range of each other etc.

I want a house Grey Dwarf that keeps topping off all my light sources.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mandoric posted:

Yeah, the check has to be on the in end (out end and you just place one in your base and remove that element of the game), and making it unrecoverable is just a message to the player to rely on portal escapes even more rather than building up the forward base it's placed at.

IMO the best solution with elements currently ingame would be to just make it very heavy and only craftable at a very heavy workstation, like 400-500, make the player prove they can do a safe cart run. Alternately, give it some really strict building requirements, like 15 units high and must be sheltered to function or something.

If it existed on the "out" end it would work fine as a way to remove transfer from areas well below your relevant area. Like trying to make a lot of decoration for a plains era base is still going to require a lot of bronze which is basically so far behind you it's almost silly and being able to just portal that back would be nice and not lose much.

I do like the idea of using weight as a way to make it reasonable to portal from base to base without cutting out some of the parts of exploration I like. I already generally find a resource-rich area by sail and make a base to range from in new biomes and weight-based modifiers on "in" portals would mean I'd basically do the same thing except I'd be able to portal it all back after sailing out there.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I want to get some aerial shots of my base but I'm not sure how it works.

Apparently I use a couple console commands to get into creative mode then to fly.

If I'm playing on a friend's server will that mess anything up?
Is it a one way thing and I can't reset it to survival mode? We play vanilla survival mode and I'd rather not break it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Valheim fun as gently caress, super glad I returned-- got Valheim Plus for the QOL stuff and it's a game changer after playing Vanilla for sure

There's a ton of of editables; here's some that I tweaked that stand out:

- UI improvements are great-- you can watch your skills progress as you use them in real time
- Decreased swim fatigue slightly so you can cross rivers and the boats don't take random damage from water
- You can automatically share map discovery and markers with the server so everyone can see them (I can't get this to work though)
- Increased tin and copper yields to get through bronze as fast as possible
- Crafting benches pull materials from nearby chests
- Slightly editing stack sizes and the number of rows and columns inventory and chests have
- Increased structural integrity so things don't turn red nearly as quickly when building
- Getting back 100% of resources when you deconstruct something-- I love building and renovating and it's fun to tweak things here and there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The base game already gives you 100% of the building mats back :shrug:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
You already get 100% refund on building materials, Its always been ingame save some glitches. Also hearth and home added the cartography table for map sharing :)

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
My friends and I started a second server after playing at launch. We’re using Valheim+ to add a bunch of QoL stuff since we’ve already done our time in vanilla. Mainly we’ve removed a lot of the major time sinks this go around like dropping items on death, rain damage on builds and vehicles, making crafting buildings automatically draw and deposit from chests, and slightly increased storage.

Yes it is a bit easier, but mostly it’s removed a bunch of the time sink and we can focus on the fun stuff like building and exploring this time. It’s added a ton of replayability for us.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ah, good to know-- it's weird that the mod specifies that it will give you everything back since I remember that being the case anyway

Does the cartography table share pins as well?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Knot My President! posted:

Does the cartography table share pins as well?

It does, yes. And as much as I hate to nitpick about such a nice addition, I wish it could be toggled whether it does or not. It's a bit tedious to have to remove all the superfluous map pins every time I grab my co-op buddies' map updates from the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s an easy answer in concept and almost certainly extremely hard in practice (and has been said many times before) but if the devs feel that transporting ore in any capacity will take away from the exploration part of the game they may want to add reasons to explore great distances other than ore.

Nordick posted:

It does, yes. And as much as I hate to nitpick about such a nice addition, I wish it could be toggled whether it does or not. It's a bit tedious to have to remove all the superfluous map pins every time I grab my co-op buddies' map updates from the table.

I need to know every raspberry patch I’ve come across and so do you!