Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm in Denver. We got snow last night. It's a miracle! We sure could use some of that global warming right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Wisest Moron posted:

I will be the Eco-Stalinist this planet needs.

I'll be the eco-Makhno or something. Down with the ship!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

reddit post titled "Fly over photo shows an entire neighborhood wiped out in the Marshall Fire (Boulder, CO)"

I didn't realize evergreens were fireproof

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

starkebn posted:

Civilisation is crumbling and we've got less than 20 years left. Germany is doing the responsible thing and decommissioning the nuclear power plants safely.

Well I can kinda see the point to what you're saying. If poo poo is really coming apart you don't want nuclear stuff lying around for some religious nut with grand aspirations to pick up. Or children.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Modern nuclear plants aren't a nuke factory

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
people aren't worried about someone unlocking nuclear icbm's on their tech tree with an unattended nuclear power plant, it is that if you leave them to sit around unattended for long enough bad things usually happen so it's better to have them decommissioned now instead of having the country shatter apart and stop maintaining it's own critical infrastructure

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

i noticed that too. maybe the houses were made of nitrocellulose.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Especially for spread out 'ornamental' trees, it's very common for no fuel to be in proximity to them so as long as they're old enough to have no limbs near the ground they survive a lot of fires.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fires have been a part of forest ecology forever, what humans have done is made those fires bigger and hotter. With winds blowing the fire as quickly through areas cleared of fire load (aka lawns), which access to irrigated water (again because of the lawns) it’s kinda a perfect situation for tree survival

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Xaris posted:

happy new years yall. based on historical trends of the 21st century, 2022 is probably going to be worse than 2021

It's really not a big deal, we hit unprecedented levels of methane and co2 every year, it's perfectly normal and not that bad yet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

jetz0r posted:

It's really not a big deal, we hit unprecedented levels of methane and co2 every year, it's perfectly normal and not that bad yet.

we normally receive all our food in multiple layers of disposable poison which we discard immediately, what's so weird about that, we've always done it like this

well when I say always I mean like since we developed the plastic disposable poison a few years ago

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

fires have been a part of forest ecology forever, what humans have done is made those fires bigger and hotter. With winds blowing the fire as quickly through areas cleared of fire load (aka lawns), which access to irrigated water (again because of the lawns) it’s kinda a perfect situation for tree survival

Not house survival tho, apparently, somehow

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a small bit of good news

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59843697

quote:

A new law banning plastic packaging on most fruit and vegetables comes into effect in France from New Year's day.

Cucumbers, lemons and oranges are among the 30 varieties banned from being wrapped in plastic.

Larger packs as well as chopped or processed fruit will be exempt.

President Emmanuel Macron called the ban "a real revolution" and said it showed the country's commitment to phase out single use plastics by 2040.

More than a third of fruit and vegetable products in France are thought to be sold in plastic wrapping, and government officials believe that the ban could prevent a billion items of single use plastics being used every year.

In a statement announcing the new law, the Environment Ministry said that France uses an "outrageous amount" of single use plastics and that the new ban "aims at cutting back the use of throwaway plastic and boost its substitution by other materials or reusable and recyclable packaging".

The ban forms part of a multi-year programme introduced by Mr Macron's government that will see plastics slowly eased out in many industries.

From 2021, the country banned plastic straws, cups and cutlery, as well as polystyrene takeaway boxes.

And later in 2022 public spaces will be forced to provide water fountains to reduce the use of plastic bottles, publications will have to be shipped without plastic wrapping, and fast-food restaurants will no longer be able offer free plastic toys.

However, industry figures have expressed concerns over the speed at which the new ban is being introduced.

Philippe Binard, from the European Fresh Produce Association, said the "removal of plastic packaging from most fruit and vegetables at such short notice does not allow alternatives to be tested and introduced in a timely manner and stocks of existing packaging to be cleared".

Several other European countries have announced similar bans in recent months as they pursue commitments made at the recent COP26 conference in Glasgow.

Earlier this month Spain announced that it will introduce a ban on the sale of fruit and vegetables in plastic packaging from 2023 to allow business to find alternative solutions.

Mr Macron's government also announced several other new environmental regulations, including rules calling on car adverts to promote greener alternatives such as walking and cycling.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

quote:

and fast-food restaurants will no longer be able offer free plastic toys.

rofl we'd see literal riots if that happened in the US

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

starkebn posted:

Civilisation is crumbling and we've got less than 20 years left. Germany is doing the responsible thing and decommissioning the nuclear power plants safely.

oh poo poo this is right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

happy new years yall. based on historical trends of the 21st century, 2022 is probably going to be worse than 2021

I like big numbers :unsmith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Not house survival tho, apparently, somehow

yeah dry wood catches fire better than living wood

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

I like big numbers :unsmith:

and round figures, IYKWIM

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah dry wood plastic siding catches fire better than living wood

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Who wants to go skiing?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I dunno goons, maybe we should all just see a psychiatrist and chill. :allears:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rime posted:

Sounds like denial to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the worse the world gets the better cspam gets so from a utilitarian perspective everything is fine
/
:cool:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rime posted:

Just fuckin go outside

Oh wait that's covid.

Fuckin uhhhhhhhhhh...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Outside is also where all the CO2 is. Better to be inside, amongst all the plastic

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my new coin offering will pay people 1 coin per pound of co2 removed from the air

unfortunately the people using it realize it's easier to grab carbon dioxide if you are making it so my carbcoin rigs are just coal engines with a digital counter on the exhaust

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

my new coin offering will pay people 1 coin per pound of co2 removed from the air

unfortunately the people using it realize it's easier to grab carbon dioxide if you are making it so my carbcoin rigs are just coal engines with a digital counter on the exhaust

and the engines powering nothing

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

we see plastic as the enemy, but maybe it’s our key to survival - just wrap everyone in enough plastic to insulate us from climate change

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ruggan posted:

we see plastic as the enemy, but maybe it’s our key to survival - just wrap everyone in enough plastic to insulate us from climate change

Either assimilate it or die of it, the choice is yours

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/ericfisher/status/1477356258629984256

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's been a warm December and there is reason to believe maybe this one will be our last

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

apatheticman posted:

It's been a warm December and there is reason to believe maybe this one will be our last

i keep checking in and seeing the most grotesque optimism, smh

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

apatheticman posted:

That's still hope.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apatheticman posted:

this could easily go to the chorus of long december by counting crows

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
this is the last year for me, inshallah

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Had to say goodbye to my parents 20 year old cat the other day. We got her from a seafood restaurant that has long since been torn down and replaced by a big apartment building. She was a strong but happy animal who liked being around people, all varieties of foods, and chasing around the occasional lizard or bug. Hated the sound of garbage trucks and always wanted to see where they were for her own safety, we think she might have lost some family members to one since she grew up near a dumpster. I imagine some of her longevity was partly from her begging days diet of bits of fish and fries from there. I will miss visiting with her and sharing meals.

Living in florida i used to have fish three or four times a week until a few years back that had to stop because it started making me feel dizzy for a couple days after eating it. Probably accumulated metals or other kinds of pollution, idk. There are only a few decent restaurants left that have good fried fish or shrimp anyways and who knows where their suppliers get it from. When i was a kid there would be groups of shrimp boats out in the bay with their nets hanging wide off the sides like wings, haven't seen one of those in ages. Last I heard of them the few remaining ones were being used to pick up dead sealife from the big red tide bloom in July. Weird to think about how the places i grew up and the foods that our bodies were built on have changed and disappeared.

Also lost my friendly window lizard a couple months back. I was gone in the afternoons more and he lost interest in the window, moved up higher in the trees and roof area exploring more (they are somewhat territorial and keep in a 1 or 2 meter range usually.) Last time i saw him he was looking down on me from on the roof and watching the garden. Then a few days later i saw a crow out of the garage window eating something and got a quick picture before flying away. Felt pretty bad not having him greet me from his branch out there any more but it's good that his energy went to another animal. Lately some younger ones that are probably his offspring will peek in for a moment to watch me doing kitchen stuff and then scurry off.

Lots of loss last year, two older neighbors to the virus, some animal friends, the mass death in the water from red tide. Seems progress changes things only for the worse. At least i have memories to keep and there are still some living things out there to hang out and share time with. Thankful there are still birds in the parks nearby and waterways that manage to have little schools of fish to watch swim as the tides rise.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Ruggan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGnwofrU924&t=3945s

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

apatheticman posted:

That’s fair but I think it’s incredibly unrealistic to tell people not to use air conditioning, heating, plastics, automobiles, electricity, various chemicals, etc. or even taken to a further extreme somehow drop everything in their lives that potentially emits carbon directly or even indirectly and somehow become self-sustaining luddites.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to try and use public transport, teleconference, eat less meat or become vegan, purchase products and service from companies that perform the best ethically and vote for politicians that are driving us towards a better society that trends towards polluting less.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rime posted:

That’s fair but I think it’s incredibly unrealistic to tell people not to use air conditioning, heating, plastics, automobiles, electricity, various chemicals, etc. or even taken to a further extreme somehow drop everything in their lives that potentially emits carbon directly or even indirectly and somehow become self-sustaining luddites.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to try and use public transport, teleconference, eat less meat or become vegan, purchase products and service from companies that perform the best ethically and vote for politicians that are driving us towards a better society that trends towards polluting less.

I know voting is a meme here, but continuing to vote for those who may not outright deny climate science but instead only make miniscule changes that do nothing material to fix the underlying problems is worse than if the climate deniers were in power. At least when the climate deniers are in control there's a conversation, an enemy, a sense of necessity, etc.. When instead our elected officials are repeatedly signalling things are improving (e.g. NY pension blah blah bullshit) it leads to complacency among the people. We're paying a much bigger price for incremental progress here than we would otherwise, since incremental progress cannot solve these problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

500 good dogs posted:

I know voting is a meme here, but continuing to vote for those who may not outright deny climate science but instead only make miniscule changes that do nothing material to fix the underlying problems is worse than if the climate deniers were in power. At least when the climate deniers are in control there's a conversation, an enemy, a sense of necessity, etc.. When instead our elected officials are repeatedly signalling things are improving (e.g. NY pension blah blah bullshit) it leads to complacency among the people. We're paying a much bigger price for incremental progress here than we would otherwise, since incremental progress cannot solve these problems.

:thejoke: