Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Not a single good movie in 2022 so far, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i was just about to watch small soldiers and it wasn't streaming on prime anymore now i am pissed

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sunk Dunk posted:

i was just about to watch small soldiers and it wasn't streaming on prime anymore now i am pissed

I could put it on, apparently I got a copy in 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just watched The Nest with Jude Law and Carrie Coon by the guy who made Martha Marcy May Marlene. Really good!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

reignofevil posted:

I could put it on, apparently I got a copy in 2018

i started watching the burbs instead. when you guys are showing movies, where is it exactly? is there a discord or something i am unaware of?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Small Soldiers is on youtube free with ads

just like watching tv

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Skimming these 8 sentences made me very tired in my brain

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sunk Dunk posted:

i started watching the burbs instead. when you guys are showing movies, where is it exactly? is there a discord or something i am unaware of?

https://discord.gg/yd64eXhM Here is a link to the dead-discord-media discord, run by yours truly! By design it stays pretty quiet on six out of the seven days of the week but on Friday nights at 8 PM Eastern Standard I endeavor to put on three movies by sharing my screen via a voice channel. (Everybody is forced to remain on mute in this channel and we post jokes that you can read alongside the movie.)

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Finally got round to watching M4trix last night so I could watch HITB spoiler-free. I didn't absolutely hate it but I didn't like it either and won't be rewatching it any time soon.

Also, carrying over a post from the last thread:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m absolutely beefing on Paul Schrader films lately. I’m gonna try to watch all his stuff in the next few weeks. I think he’s legit the best screenwriter ever, his scripts are so well written

QOP one Schrader movie I enjoyed a lot when i saw it recently was Affliction. Nice slow-burn, great cast, some tight narration by Willem Dafoe, highly recommended.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

QOP one Schrader movie I enjoyed a lot when i saw it recently was Affliction. Nice slow-burn, great cast, some tight narration by Willem Dafoe, highly recommended.

I’ve been trying to find a copy of it online today but couldn’t find one. I might order a Dvd or bluray if there is one. Dafoe is one of the best actors alive

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011

just watched The Nest with Jude Law and Carrie Coon by the guy who made Martha Marcy May Marlene. Really good!

Watched it a week ago, can confirm! It's about family after all, and we all know what that means.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watching Benedetta now. It’s film day baby

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedies ever. I haven’t liked his last few films in terms of story but Edgar Wright is an absolute genius at comedy directing, pacing and editing.

I know it isn’t a popular opinion but I absolutely love Scott Pilgrim. The movie has some major flaws, especially around the start of the third act, but the directing and editing of the movie is incredible and some of my favorite in a movie ever.

BookSmart has been mentioned a few times already and it’s definitely one of my favorite comedies of the last decade at least. It’s refreshing for a comedy movie that can both be hilarious and not have a single joke I can recall that’s punching down. There’s like one scene where somebody tries to make fun of somebody and they are immediately called out on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
People don't like Scott Pilgrim?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m not mad on it. It’s really well made though.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

People don't like Scott Pilgrim?

Basic backlash poo poo from the crowd who thinks it’s supposed to be the very thing it goes out of its way to mock (a “complete these quests and win the girl” movie).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

LanceHunter posted:

Basic backlash poo poo from the crowd who thinks it’s supposed to be the very thing it goes out of its way to mock (a “complete these quests and win the girl” movie).

It has some problems in that the original ending was extremely bad (Scott ended up wIth Knives) and when they realized that it DID NOT WORK they reshot the ending to what they went with, but it did not follow what was set up in the rest of the third act at all. If you ignore the ending though it's really good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^ I too get mad at filmmakers for poo poo that didn't make it into the movie

LanceHunter posted:

Ah yes well let he who doesn't have poo poo for brains cast the first stone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You don’t need to defend the film, it’s not like it’s the Matrix 4

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Movies are saved.

https://twitter.com/VoltesVLegacy/status/1476931174240899079?t=ogNspTsdjpUtDaGzyXbPSg&s=19

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So it's some kind of Power Rangers?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wow how'd those fans afford all those sets and costumes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the scott pilgrim film was good. i also enjoyed the books. it is my understanding that the book dodnt even have an ending so the filmhad to try and figure out its own thing... might be misremembering

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PostNouveau posted:

So it's some kind of Power Rangers?

It's a live action Voltes V

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wow how'd those fans afford all those sets and costumes

Voltes V was very popular in the Philippines. Especially after the government banned it for fomenting rebellion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It's a live action Voltes V

Uh huh, and Voltes V is some kind of Power Rangers?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the v stands for "vengerz"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Benedetta owns. So funny

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Scott Pilgrim is one of my fav Wright movies which is a really high bar. It's the one that got Kieran Culkin on my radar, who is excellent in it. I have no familiarity with the comics but it is cool to see something actually set in Toronto too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I would love to see how much coverage Edgar Wright shoots and how involved he is with the edit, his stuff is so well put-together

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Uh huh, and Voltes V is some kind of Power Rangers?

It's a classic giant robot anime

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hot Fuzz also put Olivia Colman on my radar and she is just so great in everything too. Doris is loving hilarious.

I have to keep myself from posting youtubes of my fav clips from it because I'd probably never stop.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Game Night was a mostly funny comedy. Could have used 100% less Jason Bateman tho.

I'm pretty sure Date Night was terrible, not sure if the two films are related by blood or what?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

I would love to see how much coverage Edgar Wright shoots and how involved he is with the edit, his stuff is so well put-together

I will take this excuse to post the Every Frame a Painting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Now lets talk about how lovely The World's End was.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Benedetta owns. So funny

So did you cum or what?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

So did you cum or what?

At what

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The answer is no

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rich Evans finest role

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hot Fuzz was significantly better on my later rewatches of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

^^^ I too get mad at filmmakers for poo poo that didn't make it into the movie

Ah yes well let he who doesn't have poo poo for brains cast the first stone

I'm mad because the third act and the last two minutes of the movie are saying the opposite things about Scott and Ramona's relationship. The solution should have been that Scott didn't get either girl, and they all just parted as friends, but Hollywood, so...