Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

sweet geek swag posted:

I'm mad because the third act and the last two minutes of the movie are saying the opposite things about Scott and Ramona's relationship. The solution should have been that Scott didn't get either girl, and they all just parted as friends, but Hollywood, so...

I don’t disagree but my issue is the battle against the twins just feels extremely generic in a movie that has some really good use of music and choreography. There’s about 10 minutes that feels lackluster between that battle and a plot point immediately after that feels extremely rushed just to set up the final confrontation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I could never enjoy scott pilgram because it was very steeped in the hipster culture of the 00s. Since I had already been around it so much after just finishing college when it came out, I was just too sick of it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

reignofevil posted:

Now lets talk about how lovely The World's End was.

My theory is Edgar Wright got possessed by a different director around Scott Pilgrim. His new movies are very well made, I don't care for them.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 2, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

reignofevil posted:

Now lets talk about how lovely The World's End was.

Why would we talk about something that isn't true?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

watched today:
In the Earth
Benedetta
The Nest

Three good films to start the year :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
first thing you do when got access to a ps5: watch some movies (since it has no games, amirite?)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

first thing you do when got access to a ps5: watch some movies (since it has no games, amirite?)

Haha I’m not moving in fully til tomorrow, have to quarantine for one more night so hopefully I get the all clear. Playing them on my filthy Xbox :cheers:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i went and saw scott pilgrim on the re-release last year and it holds up despite a few corny rear end parts.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CelticPredator posted:

Rich Evans finest role

so was rich inside that costume?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw it on release and I was the only person in the cinema who laughed at the Seinfeld music cue :(

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Psycho goreman's budget was like 700k USD. Absolute kings

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

killer crane posted:

so was rich inside that costume?

thats him poking out the top

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

… costume?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Psycho goreman's budget was like 700k USD. Absolute kings

What was Spacecop's budget?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The World's End was definitely a huge disappointment after how amazing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were. It's not bad, but I've rewatched the other two multiple times and have not bothered to go back to TWE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The World's End was definitely a huge disappointment after how amazing Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were. It's not bad, but I've rewatched the other two multiple times and have not bothered to go back to TWE.

Same. I couldn’t believe how disappointing TWE was. Felt like he had to toss one more to Pegg and Frost out of obligation before going to Hollywood.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it's not terrible but after those highs it just is a huge letdown.

I really liked Baby Driver so Wright hasn't lost it, he can still make a great movie.

Apparently he's doing a remake of The Running Man??? Eeeeee I dunno..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I genuinely think it’s a massive missed opportunity that Marvel didn’t let him do his thing for Ant Man. Every single MCU film looks the same, cut pretty much the same, very safe. Let someone do a weird one! Don’t remind me about Eternals!!!!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I also saw the imdb entry, is he doing a straight up book Running Man? If it is they probably should slightly change the title.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I genuinely think it’s a massive missed opportunity that Marvel didn’t let him do his thing for Ant Man. Every single MCU film looks the same, cut pretty much the same, very safe. Let someone do a weird one! Don’t remind me about Eternals!!!!

yeah someone like guillermo del toro directing an r-rated dr strange 2 would be awesome

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

I got the UHD trilogy back in like August and rewatched Shaun/Hot Fuzz but still haven't put on TWE. I saw it once in theaters and that was enough for me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Running Man is an amazing movie that cannot be improved upon.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Im gonna take this L and admit that the Ant Man movies are the one bit of MCU I really enjoy.

I dont hate MCU but im as tired as anyone else of superhero stuff. That said I'd rewatch Ant man right now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some baffling decisions in this Spider-Man movie with everything being sort of out of focus and the asian subtitles and there being half a guy's head in the corner of the screen the whole time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

watching Matthew Holness’ (of Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace fame) directorial debut Possum now.
It has the EXACT visual style of the films we used to make in college in lovely houses shot on Kodak stock. There’s something interesting/endearing to how it plays on a big TV, like doesn’t even look graded. Kinda has the vibe of a 80s BBC drama and an episode of Father Ted. I love Sean Harris!!!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Some baffling decisions in this Spider-Man movie with everything being sort of out of focus and the asian subtitles and there being half a guy's head in the corner of the screen the whole time.

that was bigfoot creek

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can't even think of anyone who would be a good replacement for Arnie in The Running Man. I don't think it's a good idea remaking any of his signature films, it was such a fine line between action and corniness in all his stuff and no one can do that like Arnie could.

ZeusCannon posted:

Im gonna take this L and admit that the Ant Man movies are the one bit of MCU I really enjoy.

I dont hate MCU but im as tired as anyone else of superhero stuff. That said I'd rewatch Ant man right now.

Paul Rudd is just too drat likeable and the Ant Man movies have a bit of goofy fun to them and I like them too. My son wanted to rewatch Capn America: Civil War the other day and uhghghghghhghghgh what a boring self serious slog that was. I honestly got confused as to what movie it was right at the beginning and was expecting they had to subdue the hulk but no that was in the avengers ultron one.

priznat fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

priznat posted:

I can't even think of anyone who would be a good replacement for Arnie in The Running Man. I don't think it's a good idea remaking any of his signature films, it was such a fine line between action and corniness in all his stuff and no one can do that like Arnie could.

A book-accurate Running Man would be wildly different from the movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gripweed posted:

A book-accurate Running Man would be wildly different from the movie.

Yeah and EVERYONE would say "what the gently caress is this poo poo?!?" I think it would have to ape the Arnie one or else it would definitely flop, as opposed to probably flopping. The only alternative would be naming it something else!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would say that the final act of The World's End is as good as Shaun or Hot Fuzz. From the point that Gary runs away from Andy to finish the golden mile the movie gets really, really good as it finally puts a level of desperation and personal stakes into the film that was sorely lacking.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

CelticPredator posted:

Rich Evans finest role

The real reason Mike is mad at this movie is because he hates seeing Rich succeed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

priznat posted:

Yeah and EVERYONE would say "what the gently caress is this poo poo?!?" I think it would have to ape the Arnie one or else it would definitely flop, as opposed to probably flopping. The only alternative would be naming it something else!

Nah. The general public does not have the emotional attachment to The Running Man that you are projecting on them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Nah. The general public does not have the emotional attachment to The Running Man that you are projecting on them.

Maybe! It was 35 years ago I suppose (gently caress!!). Maybe the kids they are banking on seeing it won't have the same preconceptions about it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Remember when they made Total Recall more like the story it was based on? That went well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

They remade Total Recall which is part of the Arnie Power 6* and it was a disaster.

(*The Power 6: Conan, Predator, Terminator(s), Commando, Running Man, Total Recall. The movies that should never be remade because no one is Arnold but Arnold.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The TR remake looked totally bland, which is a huge slap in the face to the bonkers original

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

They remade Total Recall which is part of the Arnie Power 6* and it was a disaster.

(*The Power 6: Conan, Predator, Terminator(s), Commando, Running Man, Total Recall. The movies that should never be remade because no one is Arnold but Arnold.)

:hmmyes:

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOr_ciC8xk

Knucklehead

A 2010 movie starring The Big Show as a mentally disabled adult orphan that is coerced into MMA fighting, so he wears tighty whities and punches people to death. Dennis Farina said it was the most embarassing project of his career, and he was in the lesser Tom Green movie, Stealing Harvard.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The total recall remake was the exact same movie except 1: on earth and 2: way boringer and shittier

Say what you will about the robocop remake, it’s at least it’s own movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

X JAKK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOr_ciC8xk

Knucklehead

A 2010 movie starring The Big Show as a mentally disabled adult orphan that is coerced into MMA fighting, so he wears tighty whities and punches people to death. Dennis Farina said it was the most embarassing project of his career, and he was in the lesser Tom Green movie, Stealing Harvard.