Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brawnfire posted:

Kind of like if a Butterfinger had toasted coconut in it and no chocolate coating

That sounds delicious.
My brother (US Resident) had one job in 2020. Please being me Halloween-bag sized supplies of butterfingers. He brought me one (1) bag of butterfingeresque christmas crap that had a tiny modicum of actual butterfinger content. They were loving awful.
As a non-us-ian, you have a limited range of uniquely good snacks, and butterfingers are on the drat list. If a foreigner asks you for butterfingers, GIVE THEM BUTTERFINGERS!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

They're good, but the clarity you get after a Zagnut is amazing

the post-Zagnut ascendance

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You should not have to eat food you don’t like but this decision is completely based on your dislike for the grandson and the dislike is based largely in not wanting a brown grandson. Like drat a kid from a third world country’s getting a first class elite education that will set him up for life even if you’re sons wrong why are you pissed about that?

Probably because the kid isn't white enough presenting to have "earned" such a benefit

I seriously believe that's how this dude thinks

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

QuarkJets posted:

I like the idea that you're all sitting around chatting and an uncle is like "I could go for some twizzlers right now OH WHAT'S THIS" as they open a secret compartment under their seat. Were your family members actually the kids from Heavyweights irl?

Honestly, as a kid any uncle who pulled that off cleanly would've become my favorite. All in favor of secret snack drawers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for banning my husband's daughter from our house after she gifted him 5 home paternity tests because she thinks our kids are not his?

quote:

Not gonna lie, we never get along, I (27f) tried many times to like her (36f) but never succeeded. She just doesn't like me so our relationship is really tense. I always try to ignore when she is rude to me because I love my husband (52m) and I know he loves her and I don't want to cause problems between them.

But this time she crossed the line and I had enough. She sent him a box with 5 home paternity tests and inside that box was a letter saying "for my dad, I wish this year you can finally open your eyes and see the truth". And I was shocked she did that, I mean it's no secret that she always hated the idea of ​​her dad having other kids, but she was always nice to our kids (5f) (3f) (2f) (2f) (4 months old boy) and they love her, so I never thought that she would do something like that, and I didn't think she would hate them so much either.

My husband was furious so he called her and they had a fight on the phone for like an hour, but she didn't even apologize because she really thinks that her siblings are not my husband's kids, which is stupid because they all look exactly like him (they look so much like him that they don't even look like me) even our oldest daughter looks a lot like her, so I don't know where she got that idea that they are not his.

I don't know where she got that idea from, but I know why she's acting that way, and it's because a few weeks ago my husband gave me a necklace that belonged to his great grandmother for our anniversary. When he did that she got really mad because he never gave something so important to her late mother, and they were together for 25 years, so she was offended when she found out that he gave me that necklace. But after a while she acted like she didn't care, so I thought she had already forgotten about that but she didn't. Because now she sent that stupid gift and it is obvious that she did it to hurt me, but I will not tolerate her using my kids to do that.

So I texted her and told her that she is no longer welcome in our house, and I told my husband that if he forgives her for this I won't forgive him, and my mother thinks that what I did is wrong, because she is his daughter and he loves her, and that if I really ban her from our house I will ruin our relationship. That I have to understand that it is not easy for her to see how her dad has another wife and kids because in her head that means that he is betraying his late wife.

And I know she's right but for now I don't want her in our house, and I made that decision because my husband always treats her like a little girl and does what she wants, and if she does something wrong he always forgives her. And honestly I'm already tired of it, I won't let her use our kids to hurt me. Maybe in a few weeks or months we can talk about this and try to figure things out, but like I said for now, I don't want her around. So AITA?

Guess the ages before spoilers.

Okay okay I need a bleach enema after that one.

AITA for not being more supportive in my pre-wedding toast?

quote:

My daughter is marrying a woman. I will not be attending the wedding, but my wife persuaded me to attend a pre-wedding feast they were having where the families could meet. No one informed me I would have to give a toast. There was a guy walking around with a mic keeping the atmosphere alive with stories and jokes and suddenly he made his way over to me and asked me to say words. Everyone's eyes were on me as I was at the head of the table so I couldn't quietly brush him off as I wanted to.

I stood up and said, "As many people already know, I don't approve of this relationship, but I'm here because I love my daughter and I love her partner as people and children of God.. God gave us the free will to do whatever we want, but He also gave us His Word in order that we can use our free will to obey Him. But even when we disobey Him, He loves us and He will forgive us if we repent. We're all sinners. Every single one of us at this table has sinned, so don't think I'm just singling out my daughter and her partner. I pray one day they repent but even if they don't I just want them to know that God loves you, I love you, your mother loves you, and we love your partner as well."

There was polite applause and an awkward moment but eventually the festivities resumed and I did not bring up religion for the rest of the night. All seemed to have end well until we got in the car and my wife berated me for my toast. She said it wasn't supportive enough, and that I needed to stop bringing God into everything (background: we were atheists, but I recently became a Christian).

I called my daughter and asked her if I had offended her or her partner with my toast, and she said, "It was really awkward but everyone knows you're doing your Christian thing, so no one took it personal."

My wife though seems to be taking it personally. She said our daughter was lying and that I ruined the whole night and that if I don't come to the wedding and make a better speech, I'm TA.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 1, 2022

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Hughlander posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for my sons damaged car until he starts paying rent?

Someone explain to me why you would buy a car before you could afford to operate one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Betty Wight posted:

Someone explain to me why you would buy a car before you could afford to operate one.

it's because you're zaurg

or if you don't know who that is, it's because you're bad with money (BWM)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for refusing to visit my father because of his girlfriend?

quote:

Without going into novel length, my father currently lives about 30 minutes from me, and the next person we’re related to live several states away, so I’m his closest family member.

He also lives with his girlfriend, whom he insists has changed her ways.

The short version of what’s happened is just before and during the beginning of the pandemic, his girlfriend, out of jealousy because I was sick and bed ridden for weeks and my Dad was giving me more attention than her, tried to have me arrested multiple times.

She called 911 so many times, and told so many lies about me, that I got into a first name basis with most of the Sheriff’s Department, and they had to threaten to arrest her for wasting emergency resources to get her to stop.

What’s worse is when this didn’t work, she started filing legal junctions against me, to the point, and I’m not joking, every judge in our county are now familiar with her, and basically started getting annoyed with her.

Unfortunately, one judge took her seriously, despite the laundry list of wasted time she’d piled up, and almost succeeded in having me charged with a felony.

The only reason I got off was I had to shell out the last of my savings after losing my job on a good lawyer who managed to get her on the stand and basically got her to admit all this nonsense was just her being jealous.

After this was over, and I recovered enough to be on my own, I went into debt to get an apartment and moved out.

It’s been about a year, and lately my dad’s been trying to get me to come over to spend time with him. Like a lot. He won’t come over to my apartment anymore because I kicked him out after he decided to try making it a second home for himself, and would just come in whenever since he had the spare key.

I gave him the spare key because I was still recovering, in case I needed him to come by and I couldn’t get to the door.

But now he’s getting upset because I won’t go over to visit him, or even have a meal, because the same girlfriend is there, and cooks for him.

He insists she’s changed, but I still don’t trust her, nor do I ever plan on trying to.

He’s upset by this distrust, no matter how many times I’ve told him, and keeps trying to get me to accept her, since I’m his closest blood relative, and only 1 of 3 sons that are close enough to drive over.

I love my father, but I cannot, nor am I willing to try to trust his girlfriend.

One last thing, she isn’t some young 20 something chick, she’s 63, one year older than him.

So, AITA in this situation?

I'd reach out to the father and say that she needs to pay back all the money spent on lawyers first if she wants to make amends. Then don't go there anyway.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Hexaoct posted:

Cosigned by someone currently going through chemo for that at 34.

My wife was diagnosed 1 month after our youngest was born. She was 36 at the time. It's rough. Reach out if you need help

pentyne posted:

I have IBS so I've gotten 3 colonscopies since my early 20s, and the process of me getting one is "hey doc, it's been X years, can you look?" and they say "IBS? Sure, make an appt" with no hassle or concern. Once you've been tagged with IBS they'll shove a camera up there every few years without hesitation even if they never see the problem again.

Meanwhile my friend spent several years trying to convince his doctors to give him a colonoscopy and they kept telling him no because he was young and "healthy" despite having chronic pain issues in his back and sides where the intestines/stomach sit.

Like, if you can, ask your GP tomorrow and find out if you can get one, and if they say no then find one who will.

My wife had constant bleeding throughout her pregnancy and all of her doctors ignored it and just said it was common. After she gave birth it continued and she got an appointment with a gastro doctor who said it was just IBS and said he could do a colonoscopy in like 6 or 7 months. She finally convinced him to do one right away and he begrudgingly accepted. The worst part is the tumor was so big that if anyone had done a manual check they would have discovered it prior. Wife is fine now thankfully but gently caress no one listens to women when it comes to their bodies.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 1, 2022

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA FOR EXPOSING MY SIL

quote:

My brother is married to a woman and has a daughter with her. They both are earning well.

I have a daughter and her father is not in the picture. My parents support me. My brother's woman gets free childcare from her parents 2 days a week since she apparently works full time and want to save a bit of childcare fees (165$per day. I told her i can do it for less but she declined).

She wouldn't even let her daughter with my parents (when they apologised for me asking money - who would work for free? Hello!? and offered to do it for free since apparently she's a lovely person. She had everyone twisted around her little finger with her acting) apparently because they are already taking care of my daughter full time and she doesn't want to stress them more. She allows us to visit them at their home which is a freaking 5 bedroom and a study home with a theatre room as well. We live in a 3 bedroom house.

She drops off used clothes from her daughter and unless its my daughter's birthday or christmas she has never ever bought a new dress for her and irrespective of how many dresses she gets new from her parents and sisters and brothers its always used and then shared with us. I was ok with it. I liked certain dresses her daughter was wearing and might have asked her once or twice about when i can pick them up. I dint find anything wrong with it since we are family.

Recently i came to know they have a fund for sending their daughter to private school. I realise how important education is and asked my parents to have a talk with them about sharing it. My parents are very shy and i had to nudge them a bit. They asked and my brother blowed up on them (influenced by his woman). My parents were heartbroken and i thought maybe i can appeal to her parents. Her parents spoke nicely to me even though they said they cant interfere in their daughters life (thats how arrogant she is).

My brother's woman came to know about this and called me and was very rude and downright nasty. I was trembling after the phone call and my anxiety hit sky high. I asked my parents if they can give me some privacy and stop my brother and his family from visiting them. They said ok because that's what families do... Support the vulnerable. My brothers woman took this as an insult (!!) And forbid my parents to visit their house. My parents are sad since my father really respects her and loves his first born son. I also came to know she posted in this forum yesterday saying nasty things about me and people agreeing with her because she painted herself as victim. AITA if i showed that to my parents and brother to show her true colours?

EDIT: ITS VERY CLEAR YOU ARE ALL SHEEPS. YOU CAN NEVER JUDGE ANYONE BY THEIR SINGLE POST. JUST BECAUSE I DON'T WRITE NICELY DOESN'T MEAN I AM MEAN. MY PARENTS ARE SUPPORTING ME. THATS WHAT PARENTS ARE FOR. TO SUPPORT THEIR KIDS WHEN THEY ARE DOWN. WHO HAS NEVER GOTTEN HELP FROM THEIR PARENTS THROW STONES AT ME.

SIL's post....

AITA for snapping at my sister in law?

quote:

Me (29f) and my husband (29m) has a daughter (3f) and my SIL (husband's sister 27f) has a 2 yo girl child. Her baby daddy is not in the picture.

I usually pass on everything my kid outgrow to my SIL since she doesn't work and manages by staying with my in-laws. And also when we buy toys we also buy something for her kid of its a special occasion.

Recently for the past 1 year or so, my SIL has started "demanding" clothes from us. Like "i think she would have outgrown it by now, where is it" kind of thing which was quite off-putting. Also when we buy some big ticket items like a trampoline she started making snide comments like we buy only low priced items for her daughter (which is true. But a trampoline a good one costs around 900$ in our country. We just can't buy 2). We just told her the kid can use it whenever she's here.

My parents and siblings buy some name brand clothes to our daughter and with in the next 3 months she starts pestering if my daughter has outgrown them.It was starting to become a bother when she called me at office once to ask if i can pick up a <designer brand> jumper to her daughter since its been 6 months since my mom gave it to my daughter. We were kinda managing it and didn't really allow it to be a dealbreaker.

We were discussing education once and school zoning and she was saying we should mive close to in-laws since they were in a better school zone and my husband said we are ok since we have a education fund for our child and she will be going private. SIL was very quiet. Next weekend the in-laws asked if they can come to our place for afternoon tea (we can have a 10 people gathering in our state) and after a couple of minutes said it is not fair our daughter gets everything handed over to her in a silver platter while my husband's niece doesn't have that privilege and they wanted us to divide our daughter's school fund into half and also help niece goto the same school.

My husband and me were flabbergasted and my husband said they should let SIL to experience life and they are why she's not adulting yet. They were not happy but they said ok and left.

My SIL has then gone to my parents asking them to talk to me and i lost it. I called her and gave an earful and i might have said how she's being a bad example for her kid and how ahe should get her rear end off and find a job post this pandemic etc. I admit i was angry and it showed in my voice.

She told that to her parents and has "ordered" that my kid shouldn't be allowed at my in-laws home.

My in-laws called us unhappily and said they should then probably start coming to our house to play with my daughter. I said if they can't stand up to their daughter who brings a child in adult's spats, they shouldn't be bothered to come to our house. My husband says i should probably let them so we wouldn't have anything to do with his sister. AITA for not agreeing to that?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

r/relationships: EDIT: ITS VERY CLEAR YOU ARE ALL SHEEPS.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evil Willow posted:

AITA FOR EXPOSING MY SIL

SIL's post....

Holy poo poo everyone in this family sucks and I wish none of them had kids

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

That sounds delicious.
My brother (US Resident) had one job in 2020. Please being me Halloween-bag sized supplies of butterfingers. He brought me one (1) bag of butterfingeresque christmas crap that had a tiny modicum of actual butterfinger content. They were loving awful.
As a non-us-ian, you have a limited range of uniquely good snacks, and butterfingers are on the drat list. If a foreigner asks you for butterfingers, GIVE THEM BUTTERFINGERS!?!?!?

I can occasionally get the peanut-butter-filled pretzels I discovered the last time I was in the US. They are unbelievable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

therattle posted:

I can occasionally get the peanut-butter-filled pretzels I discovered the last time I was in the US. They are unbelievable.

Those are good. The brownie filled ones are odd, but enough weed and they are ambrosia

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Those are good. The brownie filled ones are odd, but enough weed and they are ambrosia

Never heard of those! I’d better not tell my wife about them…

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for insisting my boyfriend eat respectfully at a nice restaurant?

So my boyfriend (20M), L, and I (20F) have been dating for 7 months. We usually eat take out if we want to get something to eat. However, I recently was promoted so we went to eat at a VERY nice Italian restaurant to celebrate. Like, one with an enforced dress code.

My boyfriend is not the nicest of eaters, which can be kind of gross but I deal with it. However, I didn’t realize he had no table manners. At the restaurant, after we were served our first appetizer, a beautifully plated bruschetta dish, L looked at me and jokingly asked me if I would be upset if he enjoyed his meal the same way he would at home. I told him that we were at a nice restaurant and there were other customers around.

He didn’t say anything, but instead started digging into the bruschetta with his hands, ignoring the serving fork, getting sauce all over his fingers. I let this go. However, when the pasta came out, he smirked at me and ate like he hadn’t eaten in a week.

He dropped his fork and started picking up pieces of chicken and noodles with his fingers,
getting sauce everywhere: the tablecloth, his hands, his clothes and face. He didn’t miss the opportunity to loudly burp after he had finished destroying his side of the table. The table next to us was astonished. My waiter even asked him if he was ok. Other customers were staring. He also put his feet up on the chair next to us, blocking the aisle.

I had no idea what to do. I didn’t want to make even more of a scene so I just asked for the check (which I paid) and left really embarrassed. On the way home I told him how embarrassed I was and he just said that it was my fault for not letting him enjoy the meal as he pleased and that since we were paying customers the other guests had no business judging us.

AITA?

I wanted this story to include something about someone at another table slapping the taste out of this fuckdonkey's mouth. Alas.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

olylifter posted:

When someone shows you who they are (a petulant manchild who makes a scene just to be an rear end in a top hat) believe them. Believe them and dump them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

olylifter posted:

What's his username and when was the last time he posted about hating dress codes and decorum

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

olylifter posted:

My waiter even asked him if he was ok.

That is an amazing line.

I wonder if she has never seen him use silverware before and it never clicked why until now.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

olylifter posted:

I wanted this story to include something about someone at another table slapping the taste out of this fuckdonkey's mouth. Alas.

that scene in sopranos where tony berates the guy for wearing a baseball cap to the fancy restaurant, except he just fuckin' shoots the guy

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The part I hate the most is that he 100% knows what he's doing. He's not just raised by people who never taught him to be decent in public, the fucker smirks and THEN does gross poo poo.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

olylifter posted:

He was getting the band back together.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA FOR EXPOSING MY SIL

SIL's post....

Oh come on can't do that without the replies!

Captain Caplock is Cruelsil and the other is AITAbubclothes

cruesil posted:

YOU WITCH. I KNEW WHEN ALLY SAID THIS SOUNDED LIKE YOUR CRUEL SIL THAT IT WOULD BE YOU.

YOU GET FREE CHILDCARE FROM YOUR PARENTS 2 DAYS SO WHY ARE YOU BURNING WITH JEALOUSY IF MY PARENTS ARE SUPPORTING ME. WHY ARE YOU BURNING WITH JEALOUSY IF I AM LIVING WITHOUT WORKING BECAUSE I HAVE PARENTS WHO CARE ABOUT ME.

I WISH MARK WOULD DUMP YOUR FRUGAL WAYS AND GET BACK TO LIVING A KING LIFE WITH HIS GOOD PAY.

YOU HAVE SO MUCH INFACT A WARDROBE FULL OF OUTFITS FOR YOUR LITTLE BRAT. WHY ARE YOU SHEDDING CROCODILE TEARS BECAUSE I ASKED SOMETHING. YOUR IDIOT PARENTS ARE ANYWAYS GOING TO DUMP MORE AT YOUR HOME.

ARE YOU NOT ASHAMED THAT YOU ARE DENYING A LITTLE GIRL OF THE GOOD EDUCATION SHE CAN GET? YOU WANT HER TO SUFFER SO YOU CAN CLOSE THE MORTGAGE ON YOUR HOME IN 5 YEARS. BE ASHAMED OF YOUR PETTYNESS.

I ALSO SAW THE COMMENT ABOUT YOU HAVING AN ACCOUNT FOR MY DAUGHTER. I NEED DETAILS ON THAT WHEN I CALL MARK. I DON'T WANT YOU TO DO TAX EVASION BY OPENING AN ACCOUNT IN MY CHILD'S NAME.

I AM ALSO GOING TO SHOW THIS TO MOM AND POP TO SHOW HOW ALL THE CLASSY ACT OF YOURS IS A CHARADE AND WHAT A TRASH YOU ARE IN REALITY TALKING ABOUT ME BEHIND MY BACK.

aitabubsclothes posted:

Update: Hi.. Thanks to everyone who commented, messaged on my original post. So post the mature (eye roll) Reddit spat, we invited my in-laws (without the sil) to our home over the weekend. We showed them the ss of the posts, our individual comments etc. The same as us, they were shocked about the aggression which came out of SiLs post and comments (quite different than her real life behaviour). My husband told in no uncertain terms that they are enabling SiLs behaviour. Though they agreed SiL was behaving like a kid (no offence to kids!) they cant remove their support lest she feels lost etc. We said its their decision and at no point would we lend any support in that. And they asked if there's anyway we would agree for them to visit our home to play with our daughter and i did agreed to it this time. So thats that.

To answer a question which a few messaged me, NO we haven't opened a bank account in niece's name. Its in our name and the money is just earmarked for her! So definitely no funny thing with tax.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I dated this dude back in university, and on the second date we decided to go to a nice steakhouse for dinner. When we got there he proceeded to tell me that "he was left-handed, and so can't use a steak knife properly." then proceeded to pick the steak with the knife and eat around it like a cob of corn. Now I'm very dominantly right-handed, but I was still able to passive-aggressively swap my knife and fork around and eat left-handed for the meal.

There was no third date.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I can imagine that dude's parents realizing he was left handed and then just giving up on raising him.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

berenzen posted:

I dated this dude back in university, and on the second date we decided to go to a nice steakhouse for dinner. When we got there he proceeded to tell me that "he was left-handed, and so can't use a steak knife properly." then proceeded to pick the steak with the knife and eat around it like a cob of corn. Now I'm very dominantly right-handed, but I was still able to passive-aggressively swap my knife and fork around and eat left-handed for the meal.

There was no third date.

any chance you can diagram this cause I'm twisting my brain in knots trying to figure out what this must have looked like. chalk that up to a failure of imagination on my part

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

olylifter posted:

any chance you can diagram this cause I'm twisting my brain in knots trying to figure out what this must have looked like. chalk that up to a failure of imagination on my part

Since the waiter overheard he was left handed, the waiter did not even give him a fork. The poor date had to pick up his steak with his knife in his only usable hand (the left one) and then took a bite off the edge.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grape posted:

The point of that is stating that independent nations have clout to declare what they have a separate language regardless of intelligibility. Which results in silliness.
This isn't how linguists define anything though, and that's the discussion we're having!

Err is it? I just saw 'Is Scots a language or not'. Either way most other people don't care how linguists define it, though. Norwegian and Swedish are languages. Whether Scots is/becomes one will not depend on academic theory.

What is the definitive linguistic definition of a language then, anyway? Sounds like you know :)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I admit there's something primally satisfying about grilling a steak, letting it cool just enough, then tearing it apart with your hands and teeth like you just discovered fire. AT HOME. No idea how you'd eat pasta with your hands; that just sounds hard to do and gross.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cobalt-60 posted:

I admit there's something primally satisfying about grilling a steak, letting it cool just enough, then tearing it apart with your hands and teeth like you just discovered fire. AT HOME. No idea how you'd eat pasta with your hands; that just sounds hard to do and gross.

I suppose in principle it'd be like eating tangled up twizzlers but with sauce to make it messy

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Doctor Butts posted:

Since the waiter overheard he was left handed, the waiter did not even give him a fork. The poor date had to pick up his steak with his knife in his only usable hand (the left one) and then took a bite off the edge.

The more cultured lefties like myself will first gnaw off tiny bites and spit them onto the plate where they can then be delicately speared with the tip of the steak knife.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for wearing a bridesmaid dress when I was not a bridesmaid?

quote:

Throwaway so my sister doesn’t find this.

Title sounds bad but hear me out. I (25F) attended my cousin’s (30M) wedding a few weeks ago, wearing a long, dark blue dress I had gotten from the thrift store. It was absolutely gorgeous and I thought it would be perfect, as the invitation said formal attire. I had looked the brand of the dress up online after I bought it, and while I realized it was a bridesmaid dress from a bridal company, I assumed that someone had donated it after a wedding.

I arrived at the venue with my sister (27F), and to my horror, the bridesmaids walked out in the same dress I was wearing! My sister whispered at me that I needed to go home and change (we live close by, but I feel like that would’ve been a big hassle). Instead, I decided the best course of action would go up to the bride (30F), introduce myself, and let her know I had had no idea that was the dress the bridesmaids would be wearing. She laughed it off and said it was fine, but I could tell she was slightly annoyed at the whole situation, and one of the bridesmaids was practically shooting daggers at me the rest of the night.

I just got off the phone with my cousin today, and he said that he didn’t think I did anything wrong, but the bride thought that it was rude of me to not ask what the bridesmaids were wearing, since I knew I had bought an old bridesmaid dress. My sister agrees with him, but my mom and friends say that it’s not like I was wearing white or anything, and it wasn’t that big of a deal. AITA?

Edit with important info: my sister, who is closer to the bride than I am, found out that there was a bridesmaid that was uninvited last minute. So the dress I found at the thrift store was probably her dress. Just small town things🙄

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cobalt-60 posted:

It's like the goblin guy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwAaTdDQOs

This scene, but without the excuse of only having one spork or being in prison

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

rotinaj posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwAaTdDQOs

This scene, but without the excuse of only having one spork or being in prison

You eat asparagus with your fingers you UNCULTURED SWINE

estranged parents stuff below

quote:

I grew up under very adverse circumstances and came to appreciate all that I earned and was given in life. More importantly, I learned how to be compassionate with those around me who struggled.

My daughter led a charmed life and has absolutely no appreciation of what I did to facilitate her happiness and success. She also has no compassion for her brother who has serious (medically documented) mental health and autism challenges. He, as an adult, has apologized to her numerous times for any grief he may have caused her growing up but she doesn’t want to hear it. By the way, I did what I could to shield her from his difficulties while also explaining to her that things were sometimes beyond his control. She never learned to be understanding of him, me, or anyone.

I haven’t seen her in 3.5 years and our break came a month ago when she told me that although she had recently promised to come to visit for a few days to work things out she had changed her mind. She said that she owes me nothing and that I never did anything for her. I have offered to go to therapy with her to find out what exactly is going on here but she said that she is choosing not to do so. Rather, she is relying on her FREE therapist from the internet who has told her to separate from me without knowing anything of her entire background. I was condemned from the start for no reason at all. FREE internet therapy should be outlawed. My daughter is very much a spoiled brat.
The odds that daughter was neglected terribly in favor of son are at least 100%.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for letting my sister own my FIL at dinner?

quote:

I’m getting married next year. My FIL and I don't get along. He’s very pretentious and always thinks he's the most intelligent man in the room. My sister is an actual genius. Went on full rides to the best schools. She was top in her field by her mid 20’s.

FIL thinks he’s hot poo poo because he has the most money in his family, and most of his kids grovel towards him. My sister makes at least 10x what he does. She likes to travel, and most of her money is tied up in properties worldwide.

My sister is quirky. She comes up to our NYE pregame at a Michelin Star restaurant. Her hair is purple, and she put some glitter in it for NYE.

My FIL is fuming already. We are talking about my wedding, and my sister offers her house near the venue for people to stay. Big Sur California.

My father-in-law said, oh, I thought you lived in Tennessee. She’s like I do, but I have a home in California because I work there.

He asks her how long she’s been renting it. Maybe you should ask the landlords first. My sister tells him I own that home. My FIL looks at her like he doesn’t believe her.

My sister hasn’t been traveling internationally. She’s interested in buying a home in LA. She was talking about the LA Market Zillow scandal.
My FIL said, well, everyone’s leaving Los Angeles, so home prices are going down.
My sister corrects him saying it the opposite. Most homes in the Los Angeles markets are going for cash offering well above the listing price, making her think the mass exodus is a fabrication of conservative media. Sure, people are leaving, but people are also coming in.
My FIL says it’s probably illegals, and my sister points out that illegals are not coming into the country and buying homes at 800k and above. My FIL gets mad and calls my sister a stupid little girl who doesn’t know anything about the housing market.
My sister goes well. How many homes do you have? My FIL goes 3. My sister said she has 7. 3 are foreign properties. My FIL calls her a stupid bitch. My sister said I’m not stupid, but I’m sure I seem like a bitch to you when you have tried to run a conversation on arrogance and intimidation.

My FIL is calling me an rear end in a top hat for inviting my sister to dinner (that she paid for)

FIL texted my fiancé today that my sister is a bitch and doesn’t want her at my wedding. He’s said he’s not talking to my sister anymore and doesn’t want to see her. I said fine. You don’t have to come to our wedding if you don’t want to. My FIL called me a bitch and an rear end in a top hat for not telling my sister to shut her mouth and not argue with adults on adult topics. I told him Why? Because she’s smarter and wealthier than you will ever be, and you can’t pull that flex on me as you do to all of your other IL.

My fiancé said everyone was acting like assholes, and he’s going out with his friends today. So Was I the rear end in a top hat too?

As you can imagine, soooooo many of the comments are asking if the sister is single. It's quite disgusting.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How on earth can they all afford so many houses?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Evil Willow posted:

Waiter? Guillotines all around please.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for wearing a bridesmaid dress when I was not a bridesmaid?
You're short a bridesmaid and a woman shows up in the correct dress. That's not an annoyance, that's providence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Evil Willow posted:

As you can imagine, soooooo many of the comments are asking if the sister is single. It's quite disgusting.

Wow that’s such a good own. It’s like I’m at the Algonquin round table.