Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/fr0zenbuffal0/status/1477112764191711234?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

that tweet posted:

No one is coming to a space where they aren’t sure there investments are safe. Good luck in the meta

You did though. You went hard enough for it to put your loving mortgage and college funds into it.

(You know if you're not pretending to be hacked for profit)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I won’t even make fun of poo poo like that because it’s just… genuinely sad. There’s a real cost to this dumb, fraudulent bullshit that dumbfucks shill.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tehinternet posted:

I won’t even make fun of poo poo like that because it’s just… genuinely sad. There’s a real cost to this dumb, fraudulent bullshit that dumbfucks shill.

I will make fun of it, but it does have a bitter edge because of the innocents dragged down along with them. I guess I see these people as more like delusional anti-vaxxers than I do as gambling addicts - they have deliberately opted in to the bullshit in the former case, and their Herman Cain awards are merited.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Salt Fish posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because the MMO addictiveness research center at Blizzard determined the optimal number of players per instance that leads to the most strangers getting together to do quests and everyone started copying them. Never mind that WoW came out in like 2003 and none of the major cloud providers existed at that point.

BEHOLD! The power of a dedicated server, unmatched by any pitiful cloud instance:

https://twitter.com/Beachygal1/status/1166146970907398144

MMO breadlines will never not be funny to me

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

This isn't an accurate way to frame it. As long as tether is solvent each one is worth a dollar. If there's a run that makes tether not solvent, it is worth 0.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

acidx posted:

This isn't an accurate way to frame it. As long as tether is solvent each one is worth a dollar. If there's a run that makes tether not solvent, it is worth 0.

There can't be a run on tethers because you aren't allowed to redeem them. Or another way to say it, a request of 1 USD is a run on tether.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tehinternet posted:

So long as plane tickets to Vegas existed that guy's kids were never gonna see college

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

acidx posted:

it's complete bullshit. bitcoin is up for 2021. this guy doesn't need to make poo poo up to make fun of bitcoin, it's funny and stupid anyway

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

There can't be a run on tethers because you aren't allowed to redeem them. Or another way to say it, a request of 1 USD is a run on tether.

Lol if you can't do it directly with tether, but either way, there is some way to get from crypto back to cash in the ~legit~ exchanges, which is functionally what I'm talking about.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

tehinternet posted:

he bought his stupid ape for 1/2 an ETH, something like $1000-1500. that's all.

then his ape got stolen, then the thief sold it for 77 ETH

in his head he thinks he's lost $300k because he's a credulous moron and still believes that NFT value isn't manipulated to gently caress-all. in reality the stupid ape jpeg was never going to put his kid through college in the first place.

so yes, there is a real human cost to having a complete dumbfuck dad who looks at a stupid ape jpeg and thinks "I'm gonna be rich!", but if it hadn't been nfts it probably would have been some other drat thing. sorry kid, you were destined to have zero college fund from the beginning.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Feel like you could do an opera about the tragedy of the guy who traded his whole family for a picture of a monkey, then lost the picture, then it turned out he didn't trade anything either

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/mattmedved/status/1477096464895680512
just throw random words + NFTs and make a worse product

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 2, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://twitter.com/beaniemaxi/status/1476713900322209794

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1477448307022524416?t=Ar6KPWyCTye2pKvDs0zjLA&s=19

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Please, God, I don't ask for much from You. But give me this.

A video of a sad cryptobro, trying to get a beat cop to make a police report about his stolen ape jpeg.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Klyith posted:

Please, God, I don't ask for much from You. But give me this.

A video of a sad cryptobro, trying to get a beat cop to make a police report about his stolen ape jpeg.

The best part is there would literally be a cause of action in the court system with serious consequences, copyright law, except NFTs, purposefully, don't confer any actual legal ownership of the "art", or the data, or anything really.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
NFT transactions are executed via smart contact right? Sounds to me like any "thief" is just you not reading the fine print...

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

LOL

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

https://twitter.com/mattmedved/status/1477096464895680512
just throw random words + NFTs and make a worse product
😂

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dk2m posted:

Serious question: if bitcoin and NFTs and all that are scams, what will it take to bring it down? The serious people keep saying it is dumb but yet all these idiot fuckers are becoming millionaires while I'm not so maybe I'm just bitter

Both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes require a constantly increasing number of people entering the scheme, because the money paid in by new joiners is what funds the gains and payouts for people already in the scheme. But that money paid in comes with expectations of getting payouts later, so the scheme has to bring in even more people. And so on. In the long run, it's ultimately unsustainable: eventually the scheme can no longer bring in enough new pay-ins to fund the payouts to people who were already paid, and all the scheme-runners can do from there is play financial shell games to try to delay the inevitable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ponzi Buddy

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Buy ethereum and NFTs and your dreams will come true in the metaverse! Hundreds of artists, programmers, testers will put in the millions of person hours needed to bring your quarter-finished fantasy novel to life as an immersive open world sandbox video game exactly as you imagined! Just buy these ethereum tokens and the pre-existing barriers will crumble away

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Juul-Whip posted:

Buy ethereum and NFTs and your dreams will come true in the metaverse! Hundreds of artists, programmers, testers will put in the millions of person hours needed to bring your quarter-finished fantasy novel to life as an immersive open world sandbox video game exactly as you imagined! Just buy these ethereum tokens and the pre-existing barriers will crumble away

theyve reinvented video games

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

But shittier and more expensive

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/spiraltastic/status/1477211070171336704/photo/1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

when i saw those posted the other day i thought... oh wow would be really stupid if you bought one for your SO and they're black.. but surely no one is that tone deaf.

i'm reading it and honestly still can't tell if its a troll because its way too spot on.

also even if i was heavily into just normal investing in like stocks... no way i'd just buy some random "investment" and just give it to my SO. that doesn't seem very thoughtful. but also the fact that the dude bought an ape jpeg of his girlfriend... like ugh... jfc.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgg768z2GRA&t=2334s

Asmongold just going to loving town on NFTs

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Never been on reddit before but I know what AITA and throwaway accounts are.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Hint for anyone wondering "Am I the rear end in a top hat"- if you're posting on Reddit, you're an rear end in a top hat!!

e: not that woman though, yikes lol

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

buttheads: "wtf I like inflation now!"

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Main Paineframe posted:

Both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes require a constantly increasing number of people entering the scheme, because the money paid in by new joiners is what funds the gains and payouts for people already in the scheme. But that money paid in comes with expectations of getting payouts later, so the scheme has to bring in even more people. And so on. In the long run, it's ultimately unsustainable: eventually the scheme can no longer bring in enough new pay-ins to fund the payouts to people who were already paid, and all the scheme-runners can do from there is play financial shell games to try to delay the inevitable.

Tether has entered the chat

spunkshui posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgg768z2GRA&t=2334s

Asmongold just going to loving town on NFTs

This is a pro-watch. I’m not used to streamers having opinions that are reasonable and correct.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

tehinternet posted:

Tether has entered the chat

This is a pro-watch. I’m not used to streamers having opinions that are reasonable and correct.
Isn't this guy a huge chud though? I might be confusing him with someone else.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Forgall posted:

No clue. Even idiots can be right sometimes though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Forgall posted:

his big controversy was telling his viewers to /spit on players who had bought paid mounts in WoW

Blizzard called it toxic harassment (because it was attacking their revenue lol). Then Blizzard got revealed as a cesspit of sexual harassment (double lol).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/thefaithasaurus/status/1477511356727259140

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bong boner

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can work with this.

Ogopogo Pesos can only go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU