Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The democrats are gonna get pummeled in the rear end in 22

... and that's the way we snipe the page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
guess what year it is

:unsmigghh:

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

the democrats are going to get destroyed this year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

democrats? who? those guys that were destroyed short of 16 hours ago? never heard of them

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Saw a Desantis 2024 flag in the wild here in Wisconsin. I'm starting to worry that republicans will split between Trump loyalists and anti-vax nutters and delay the destruction of the perfidious democrat party.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Saw a Desantis 2024 flag in the wild here in Wisconsin. I'm starting to worry that republicans will split between Trump loyalists and anti-vax nutters and delay the destruction of the perfidious democrat party.

Dammit you are so right. Not only are we balkanizing, but most of the lovely resulting factions are really lovely.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

republicans will form ranks around anyone that can win and then force them to make the same old dweebs that are in every administration in charge of poo poo again

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Republicans are just as much in disarray as the Democrats, they're just better at rigging the vote in their favor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the difference is that they are actually trying to win elections

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

I kinda think by the time 2024 rolls around with the way the country is going neither of those two will win the primary because they aren't psycho enough

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Since Dems have based their new coalition around urban professionals with college degrees maybe we'll see the GOP embrace a Pol Pot platform for 2024.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I wonder what he means by “pro-family”.

Probably not subsidized healthcare or mandatory paid leave or any of that commie freeloader bullshit. Maybe some (means tested) tax breaks at best.

He’s still trying to thread that old needle between social conservatives and lolberts. On the other hand, people off all political stripes are going apeshit over bitcoin so I doubt that will hurt him.

100% certain he just means the usual insane white supremacist Christian dominionist horseshit that long ago became mainstream for the GOP.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol I wouldn't read too much into it. DeSantis could make a solid run for president at some point but he still has the charisma of cold mud. Anybody flying a DeSantis 2024 flag is an extremely online outlier.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Before we start assuming Republicans would never turn their backs on their God emperor, what they value more than anything else is the certitude of their own personal opinions. So DeSantis being a wet blanket may not matter if he becomes the face of vaccine paranoia.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are still people out there thinking nikki haley should run. People who express preferences about a political race 2 years away are psychos and not avatars of popular opinion.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well, preferences more granular than the destruction of the democratic party, anyway.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
it’s the year of the jeb

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zvahl posted:

given that this person and everyone like her immediately forgave and even praised hillary for owning slaves in arkansas, it naturally follows that buying something to own it is an act of benevolence on the part of the buyer, because otherwise, hillary would have had to own slaves.

it's not much of a leap to assume that they'd assume millionaires holding financial leverage over institutional procedure isn't so much buying power as it is an act of divine kindness

as long as it's a millionaire they've been told to love, I guess, idk, liberals are bad people
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-lefts-latest-and-racially-misguided-swing-at-hillary-clinton?ref=scroll

i had to look it up but lmao this article is all "yeah yeah she used slaves at the governor's mansion but lefties fail to point out that it's normal to do that down in the south"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dolphin posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-lefts-latest-and-racially-misguided-swing-at-hillary-clinton?ref=scroll

i had to look it up but lmao this article is all "yeah yeah she used slaves at the governor's mansion but lefties fail to point out that it's normal to do that down in the south"

quote:

Using prisoners as free labor is a troubling practice that needs to be stopped. And the fact that states across this country, and especially the South, have employed this practice for more than a century does not make it any more acceptable. However,

lmao

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Dolphin posted:

lol at this clown

no no not that time, the other time

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Before we start assuming Republicans would never turn their backs on their God emperor, what they value more than anything else is the certitude of their own personal opinions. So DeSantis being a wet blanket may not matter if he becomes the face of vaccine paranoia.

They don't really have any consistent opinions. What drives them is petty, spiteful cruelty and domination, and any opinion they hold at any particular moment will reflect that. The anti-vax stance is just a way for them to feel defiant if they resist and victimized if they're forced to take it; there's no principle to it, so they could easily abandon it. It's also just thinly-disguised anti-semitism and associated fascism, so it's about what it represents, not the actual vaccine itself.

Criticism of Trump over the vaccine this far out is like a toddler during the terrible twos; they're acting out to show they're grown up. They'll absolutely fall back in line as soon as Trump starts acting like the gigantic prick they know and love.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Zvahl posted:

lol at this clown

no no not that time, the other time

If hilary clinton didn't like the slavery (no indication she didn't, but whatever) because she was from the north, does that mean that he's saying bill loved the slavery?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

30.5 Days posted:

If hilary clinton didn't like the slavery (no indication she didn't, but whatever) because she was from the north, does that mean that he's saying bill loved the slavery?

Bill was perfectly fine with sex slavery so yeah.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CaptainACAB posted:

Bill was perfectly fine with sex slavery so yeah.

:hmmyes:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Slamhound posted:

They don't really have any consistent opinions. What drives them is petty, spiteful cruelty and domination, and any opinion they hold at any particular moment will reflect that. The anti-vax stance is just a way for them to feel defiant if they resist and victimized if they're forced to take it; there's no principle to it, so they could easily abandon it. It's also just thinly-disguised anti-semitism and associated fascism, so it's about what it represents, not the actual vaccine itself.

Criticism of Trump over the vaccine this far out is like a toddler during the terrible twos; they're acting out to show they're grown up. They'll absolutely fall back in line as soon as Trump starts acting like the gigantic prick they know and love.

It's only easy to abandon beliefs and opinions when you don't really have any - but once they've invested their egos into a thing it's insanely hard to give up on it. This problem only goes away if Trump embraces anti-vaxx rhetoric.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The really funny thing about that is it would've been an easy slam dunk for Team Hillary to do the song about recognizing wrongs, doing better, we should end this barbaric practice in governor's mansions - etc.

Instead like every other Hillary campaign controversy, they just pretended it wasn't happening. That or the Hilldawgs would say poo poo like only a sexist cares about slaves at the governor's mansion.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

once they've invested their egos into a thing it's insanely hard to give up on it. This problem only goes away if Trump embraces anti-vaxx rhetoric.

hence why trump will never go anti-vaxx. i wonder how intractable this really is; imo he doesn't lose to an anti-vaxx candidate just because he's got so much more charisma than anyone else in the field

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i say swears online posted:

hence why trump will never go anti-vaxx. i wonder how intractable this really is; imo he doesn't lose to an anti-vaxx candidate just because he's got so much more charisma than anyone else in the field

I'm just not discounting the possibility of there being a substantial rift. It's a long time yet until primary season, and a whole ton of stupid stuff could tip things either way.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ten million anti-vaxx warriors against trump who have nothing to do all day but Post because they're bedridden

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's only easy to abandon beliefs and opinions when you don't really have any - but once they've invested their egos into a thing it's insanely hard to give up on it. This problem only goes away if Trump embraces anti-vaxx rhetoric.

That would be no problem for Trump because the anti-vax rhetoric is constantly shifting. First it's anti-vax, then it's anti-mandate, then it's anti-booster, and so on. Trump just has to say something like "Get the vaccine, it's a high-quality vaccine, made possible by me. But only if you want to. Don't let Biden force you to get the vaccine. You can't trust him. Many people are saying when I'm president you'll be able to trust the vaccine, believe me.". Trump routinely contradicts himself in the course of a single statement. That's how fascism operates. Words have no intellectual meaning, only emotional.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Slamhound posted:

"Get the vaccine, it's a high-quality vaccine, made possible by me. But only if you want to. Don't let Biden force you to get the vaccine. You can't trust him. Many people are saying when I'm president you'll be able to trust the vaccine, believe me.".

this tracks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slamhound posted:

Absolutely brilliant analysis of just that by Christman on Antifada here. I hadn’t heard such s detailed breakdown of the people and their motivations and worldview, it’s been strangely comforting.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

the CDC / Delta thing utterly broke my parents brains, apparently. Biden administration is being “criminally negligent”.

disconnect between the “it’s mild” messaging (initially accepted) and reality, particularly what’s going on with to hospitals, was also a big thing. “if it’s not dangerous then why are so many people going to the hospital? you can’t call that mild”

unvaccinated getting the worst of it didn’t seem to matter, “so many people getting sick at once is dangerous for everyone” “people don’t listen to details, they’re just going to hear that it’s safe now and that’s irresponsible”

“joe Biden is still the president for unvaccinated people whether he likes it or not” lmao

very doubtful this is gonna stick and actually change how/if they vote. my parent’s fervently believe it’s a moral obligation to vote dem. on the other hand, this disillusionment comes on the cusp of a pandemic wave that’s going to just relentlessly reaffirm the doubts they’re having now.

I don’t think there is a future in this country for a party that makes Boomer’s afraid and uncertain that things are under control . Democrat incompetence causing legit feelings of fear is basically the only thing I can think of that could possibly break the stranglehold ‘blue no matter who’ has on my parents brains. if the choice in the ballot box is between someone you hate and someone who you’re afraid will get you killed, you don’t vote.

just an anecdote, but it makes me feel like “getting destroyed” will be laughably inadequate to describe what’s going to happen to the Democrats in 2022.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Orbis Tertius posted:

the CDC / Delta thing utterly broke my parents brains, apparently. Biden administration is being “criminally negligent”.

disconnect between the “it’s mild” messaging (initially accepted) and reality, particularly what’s going on with to hospitals, was also a big thing. “if it’s not dangerous then why are so many people going to the hospital? you can’t call that mild”

unvaccinated getting the worst of it didn’t seem to matter, “so many people getting sick at once is dangerous for everyone” “people don’t listen to details, they’re just going to hear that it’s safe now and that’s irresponsible”

“joe Biden is still the president for unvaccinated people whether he likes it or not” lmao

very doubtful this is gonna stick and actually change how/if they vote. my parent’s fervently believe it’s a moral obligation to vote dem. on the other hand, this disillusionment comes on the cusp of a pandemic wave that’s going to just relentlessly reaffirm the doubts they’re having now.

I don’t think there is a future in this country for a party that makes Boomer’s afraid and uncertain that things are under control . Democrat incompetence causing legit feelings of fear is basically the only thing I can think of that could possibly break the stranglehold ‘blue no matter who’ has on my parents brains. if the choice in the ballot box is between someone you hate and someone who you’re afraid will get you killed, you don’t vote.

just an anecdote, but it makes me feel like “getting destroyed” will be laughably inadequate to describe what’s going to happen to the Democrats in 2022.

think of the democratic party as any other modern business, in that it uses state of the art management practices to manage its supply chain. instead of just in time inventory, it relies on predictive models to do the minimum work necessary to win elections. namely, technocratic adjustments to the apparatus of state to court constituencies like college educated millennial soccer moms in purple state suburbs. as the last year indicates, it doesn’t take much of a disruption to cause a series of cascading breakdowns. it only takes a little slippage around the margins for the democrats to get destroyed in 2022

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Slamhound posted:

This kind of thinking about Republican voters is as much a losing proposition long term as any McKinley and co Ghoul the Dems put up. They are people who look at society as they experience it and think 'why are murders and robberies so high in Democrat cities? Why are democrats telling me I have no place in deciding how my child is educated? Why are democrats telling me I'm an idiot for thinking there is a logistics problem when the shelves are so bare every time I go to buy some Reese's pieces?' and people respond with 'you are dumb and spiteful for being concerned primarily with the well-being of your family instead of some nebulous purple haired female Saudi uber driver'. As long as you keep stating an entire voting cadre are irredeemable scum and gradually pull the classic splitter trick and drive off people on your side while your opponents openly welcome anybody willing to cross the aisle your base will shrink until it becomes nonviable.

Fox News are way smarter than basically any leftist organisers because they have got Tucker to start pushing strasserist and traditionalist workers party talking points on his show. That's the real scary part, they have already realised that through workers solidarity rhetoric they can implement the fascist state they always dreamt of. If Biden is kicking people off welfare while Fox News is telling it's viewers about how the salt deduction is basically the super wealthy stealing their pay what the gently caress do you think is going to happen.

But I guess from an accelerations pov actively driving working class voters to the GOP will destroy the Dems faster

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

think of the democratic party as any other modern business, in that it uses state of the art management practices to manage its supply chain. instead of just in time inventory, it relies on predictive models to do the minimum work necessary to win elections. namely, technocratic adjustments to the apparatus of state to court constituencies like college educated millennial soccer moms in purple state suburbs. as the last year indicates, it doesn’t take much of a disruption to cause a series of cascading breakdowns. it only takes a little slippage around the margins for the democrats to get destroyed in 2022

yeah they went from “did you hear the new variant isn’t that bad? thank god” to “throw the bums out” in like, a week? things are happening fast

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

cagliostr0 posted:

This kind of thinking about Republican voters is as much a losing proposition long term as any McKinley and co Ghoul the Dems put up. They are people who look at society as they experience it and think 'why are murders and robberies so high in Democrat cities? Why are democrats telling me I have no place in deciding how my child is educated? Why are democrats telling me I'm an idiot for thinking there is a logistics problem when the shelves are so bare every time I go to buy some Reese's pieces?' and people respond with 'you are dumb and spiteful for being concerned primarily with the well-being of your family instead of some nebulous purple haired female Saudi uber driver'. As long as you keep stating an entire voting cadre are irredeemable scum and gradually pull the classic splitter trick and drive off people on your side while your opponents openly welcome anybody willing to cross the aisle your base will shrink until it becomes nonviable.

Fox News are way smarter than basically any leftist organisers because they have got Tucker to start pushing strasserist and traditionalist workers party talking points on his show. That's the real scary part, they have already realised that through workers solidarity rhetoric they can implement the fascist state they always dreamt of. If Biden is kicking people off welfare while Fox News is telling it's viewers about how the salt deduction is basically the super wealthy stealing their pay what the gently caress do you think is going to happen.

But I guess from an accelerations pov actively driving working class voters to the GOP will destroy the Dems faster

Republicans aren't born irredeemable monsters like orcs, no, they're class enemies. They believe the things they do because they want to secure their social position & privileges. That's why Democrats and Republicans are constantly competing over what is basically the same kind of voter: the white middle class that has enough money to donate and enough time to vote.

There's no convincing Republicans to become liberals or whatever, because they're basically Liberals already. It's not an issue of persuasion it's an issue of failing to serve the interests of the electorate. Republicans can offer their voters an Id-based politics that satisfies all their reactionary impulses and makes them feel better, even if not much really changes. Meanwhile Democrats offer nothing but an increasingly hollow brand of self-righteousness which they constantly undermine by refusing to do anything.

There's no persuading liberals to suddenly get some sense either. They act this way because the entire political system has been set up to profit government inaction in favor of market force. There's no sensible reform to this level of institutional rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

God, it's not the governor had any authority to change these policies. They were victims of those above them in the state power structure.