Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

christmas boots posted:

"no guys I think he's actually a spy"

"lol get a load of this guy. bet you thought jonathon swift actually wanted to eat babies too. loving dumbass lmao"

they were upper-class englishmen working for intelligence, they'd probably already followed swift's advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

christmas boots posted:

"no guys I think he's actually a spy"

"lol get a load of this guy. bet you thought jonathon swift actually wanted to eat babies too. loving dumbass lmao"

philby's own opinion was that mi6 knew for quite some time but they really couldnt be arsed making Macmillan look so bloody stupid after vouching for him in parliament. When it was time for him to leave, mi6 brought him in for an interview, told him they had enough evidence to bury him, and asked him politely not to head to moscow with this ticket we're going to leave right here on the table, anyway were off to scotland for a month, we'll sort out your arrest for treason when we get back, do you want a hand with those bags? jolly good pip pip cheerio

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hey remember when Daniel Inouye just came right out and said there was a shadow government, and then we went ahead and elected Geroge Bush who pardoned everyone remotely involved and we forgot all about it

quote:

One vision was described in the testimony of Admiral Poindexter, Lieutenant Colonel North, General Secord, and Mr. Hakim: That of a secret government, directed principally by NSC staffers, accountable to not a single elected official, including apparently the President himself — a shadowy government with its own air force, its own navy, its own fund-raising mechanism, and the ability to pursue its own ideas of the national interest, free from all checks and balances and free from the law itself.

It is an elitist vision of government that trusts no one, not the people, not the

Congress, and not the Cabinet.

It is a vision of a government operated by persons convinced they have a monopoly on truth.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

hey remember when Daniel Inouye just came right out and said there was a shadow government, and then we went ahead and elected Geroge Bush who pardoned everyone remotely involved and we forgot all about it

Yeah I've played Metal Gear games too. Anyway what's the problem it's not like actual democracy would be any less evil than a super-evil cabal in the United States of America. Look at who Americans vote for for absolute proof of that.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah I've played Metal Gear games too. Anyway what's the problem it's not like actual democracy would be any less evil than a super-evil cabal in the United States of America. Look at who Americans vote for for absolute proof of that.

Tbh if the shadow government managed to both organize and keep secret a conspiracy to rule the country that in itself demonstrates significantly more competence then I'd expect out of any administration.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Then again with that kind of organisational skills and competence it's probably less work to just win an election so they are still idiots.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spangly A posted:

philby's own opinion was that mi6 knew for quite some time but they really couldnt be arsed making Macmillan look so bloody stupid after vouching for him in parliament. When it was time for him to leave, mi6 brought him in for an interview, told him they had enough evidence to bury him, and asked him politely not to head to moscow with this ticket we're going to leave right here on the table, anyway were off to scotland for a month, we'll sort out your arrest for treason when we get back, do you want a hand with those bags? jolly good pip pip cheerio

Actually he was killed by another spy who was his former love.r

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Didn't he like get caught and then they brought him back at some point

e: like they fired him fo rmaybe being a spy and then they unfired him and apologized

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Didn't he like get caught and then they brought him back at some point

e: like they fired him fo rmaybe being a spy and then they unfired him and apologized

yeah he was actually exonerated the first time he got caught lol

after being exonerated he promptly went right back to doing the things they had quite accurately accused him of

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Jan 2, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was probably the only competent person to ever work for mi6. mi6 makes the cia look like perfect transcendent beings of pure light by comparison.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he was probably the only competent person to ever work for mi6. mi6 makes the cia look like perfect transcendent beings of pure light by comparison.

Their problem is they don't have any Mormons

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Counterpoint: Ian Fleming's pitch to the CIA for suppressing the Cuban revolution. Spread propaganda in Cuba claiming that fallout from nuclear testing concentrates in beard hair and makes them sterile, prompting them to shaved. Why? Without bearded men, there could be no revolution.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

yeah he was actually exonerated the first time he got caught lol

after being exonerated he promptly went right back to doing the things they had quite accurately accused him of

Reading the wikipedia article, it looks like he was almost in more danger from the soviets because they believed he was hiding information about MI6 since they surely weren't that unaware of things.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"So incompetent our enemies almost executed a mole for being suspiciously too good at his job" is probably peak UK.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So the only cabable intelligence agencies were KGB and Stasi?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A death row inmate died in the OR from health complications and was revived at taxpayer expense just so the state could kill him later and he tried/is trying to Jon Snow his way out of this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

So the only cabable intelligence agencies were KGB and Stasi?

Mossad has pulled off some hits.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://twitter.com/DialloNkechi/status/1470770335364661259

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Mossad has pulled off some hits.

Harvey Weinstein had an ex-Mossad spy pretending to be Rose McGowan's friend so he'd know in advance if she was going to the press

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Milo and POTUS posted:

A death row inmate died in the OR from health complications and was revived at taxpayer expense just so the state could kill him later and he tried/is trying to Jon Snow his way out of this

I hope he wins

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah whatever happened to double jeopardy

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Harvey Weinstein had an ex-Mossad spy pretending to be Rose McGowan's friend so he'd know in advance if she was going to the press

Did it work?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
sister hillary

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah whatever happened to double jeopardy

Ken Jennings made it irrelevant

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

trump suggested the plot of the television show 21 Jump Street as a way to curtail school shootings and violence.

remember when he heavily implied he'd 'run into' a school shooting to fight the shooter

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

remember when he heavily implied he'd 'run into' a school shooting to fight the shooter

Relatedly, Meadows saying in his memoir that Trump would have single handedly beaten every protester to a pulp despite hiding from them in the white house bunker.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Milo and POTUS posted:

pretty sure this was an episode of chicago hope

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bernie Sanders betrayed his own "political revolution."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Soup for my family"

Separately, Ted Cruz buying cases and cases of soup for his new wife

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

tom cotton going to town on birthday cake and ice cream every day

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mind_Taker posted:

tom cotton going to town on birthday cake and ice cream every day

If it was something other than lovely sheet cake this would be the most relatable thing about him.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Every white office worker proudly displaying their copy of white fragility after George Floyd got murdered

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Kitfox88 posted:

If it was something other than lovely sheet cake this would be the most relatable thing about him.

I think this says more about you tbh.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

*Tom Cotton’s alarm goes off, he bolts upright in bed*

Time to Wake and Cake

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Steve Scalise getting his nuts blasted off at a softball practice lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Weka posted:

I think this says more about you tbh.

yeah it says I’m a fat gently caress who would totally eat a few slices of cake every day if I had the resources for it

love me some red velvet with a little cream cheese icing

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah if my body wouldn't respond adversely I'd love a slice of cake every day

What makes it absurd tp me is that he is one of the ruling class but he gets grocery store vanilla sheet cake slices

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Have you seen his neck

Look at that thing it's more surprising that it's not full of the most delicious and tender treetop leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mind_Taker posted:

Steve Scalise getting his nuts blasted off at a softball practice lol

He should have dodged that bullet like he dodged those questions about the 2020 election not being stolen.

Love to mislead my angry and violent right wing supporters, what could go wrong?