Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sakurazuka posted:

When does the 'week' reset for raid items?

Tuesday, at midnight Japan time, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've hit second credits on Stormblood. I'm not sure I have much to say about it. Outside of the meltdown I had earlier in the thread, it didn't have the emotional impact that HW did. Though I did find myself thinking and reacting in character a lot more often. I think my biggest problem with this expansion is that none of the companion characters were as compelling as Estinien or Ysayle. Or, at least, they weren't until the patch content.

Arvenvald was good to hang out with while he was around, and Alisae was great once the story could properly focus on her. Out of the characters who lost focus for the expansion, I grieved for Urianger the most. Poor guy's contribution is only a few lines and a little deus ex machina. Not that I think it was a bad choice to keep him mostly sidelined, as the story already suffers from an excess of characters. Though it did make for a good war scene having nearly every major character pop in during the final dungeon.

Yotsuyu was a good villain, though I feel like she was a better one when it seemed like she had died in the castle collapse. I know you're not supposed to believe a character is dead until you see a body in media but this was a bit extreme. It was a bit silly how easily she kept managing to escape house arrest but hey the story has to happen somehow.

Her brother is the absolute worst scum piece of poo poo, to the extent that it feels like it's going against the theme of the expansion that monsters are created, not born. He's always been a piece of poo poo, having barely changed from the little bastard who smugly grinned at his little sister's abuse. If anything, the only change in his character from the flashbacks to the moment he dies is that he learns to just barely contain his sadism behind a mask of politeness. Or maybe I'm just projecting because I also have a lovely older brother who takes joy in my suffering.

I didn't really like Zenos, or even like to hate him for the first 2/3 or so of the patchless expansion. Even considering he was just in it for the thrills, he still seemed like he was incredibly stupid in how he ran everything. Once I saw he had captured and could fuse with Shinryu it immediately made a lot more sense. I knew Zenos wasn't dead about 2 seconds after he killed himself. After all, if he could fuse with a primal, wouldn't that mean he had control over his aether similar to the ascians? Then again, I've also been convinced this entire time that Lahabrea was not actually dead on similar logic (Do not :allears: me if this is actually the case). Or at least I thought he was up until Estinien popped the eyes. But even then, might he live on in the spear? No, I don't believe so. Anyway, Zenos, I actually kind of missed him in the final battle against his corpse. The ascian piloting that shell clearly didn't have the talent to use it. I had more trouble against Sadu.

I'm going to take some time to level up the other classes to 60, see if I like any enough to continue leveling them up to 70, and do the Stormblood raids before moving on to Shadowbringers.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Loved the expansion.

Not loving the still ever-present sound issues since launch.

I've been done with trying out every trick in the book, and at this point running the game at 15 frames per second on DX9 with whatever else they recommend just feels like trading one lovely experience for another. Easier to just mute everything.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm going to take some time to level up the other classes to 60, see if I like any enough to continue leveling them up to 70, and do the Stormblood raids before moving on to Shadowbringers.
Doing the SB raids is a good idea because it will give you access to a good levelling source after finishing ShB : they lead up to an area to level 71+ jobs that is suprinsingly also worth it for 80+ jobs unlike PotD 60+ or HoH 70+
It's similar to the Eureka zone you can unlock now in Kugane for your artifact weapons, but it also gives XP
Also these raids are huge references to past FFs XII and Tactics, so if you have played those you're going to get a lot of cool references. That being said there is a string of quests between raid 1 & 2 that is basically Titan Quests Go Fetch Me Wine (savage) all over again, so feel free to skip dialog on this

Enjoy the lead up to shadowbringers, there are really good and interesting things happening during 4.4>4.56

Zanael fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 2, 2022

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Sherry Bahm posted:

Loved the expansion.

Not loving the still ever-present sound issues since launch.

I've been done with trying out every trick in the book, and at this point running the game at 15 frames per second on DX9 with whatever else they recommend just feels like trading one lovely experience for another. Easier to just mute everything.

Here's the official advice:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1473355363089285122

And to add, from my experience, it helps to have a set output--ie, 14 is set to go straight to speakers for me, instead of "default sound place."

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Flytitle posted:

Here's the official advice:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1473355363089285122

And to add, from my experience, it helps to have a set output--ie, 14 is set to go straight to speakers for me, instead of "default sound place."

Yearp, done all of that. I've done all the things I can do simultaneously even.

The new rumor going about is that the people who still have issues are people with AMD processors, which would track for me. Heck, it even gets mentioned in that very thread. I have no way of knowing if there is any truth to that rumor, but fact is I have absolutely done every little tweak and trick people have been suggesting since day one, and nothing has helped.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I always had issues with audio popping using my realtek onboard, for years. I plugged my 2.1 speakers directly into my monitor and just use Nvidia's audio and it's never been a problem since. Never heard any audio issues here either so i dunno, not a master computer toucher but using my gfx card audio worked fine for me

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 2, 2022

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I did that too, pulled em through my monitor (tried two different ones in fact), HD Nvidia audio instead, etc.

Still snap, crackle, pop.

The kicker of course is that I shouldn't even have to do all this, because it had worked perfectly fine for years up until this expansion dropped.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sherry Bahm posted:

I did that too, pulled em through my monitor (tried two different ones in fact), HD Nvidia audio instead, etc.

Still snap, crackle, pop.

The kicker of course is that I shouldn't even have to do all this, because it had worked perfectly fine for years up until this expansion dropped.

drat. Well I do have an Intel so really could be AMD

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

sirtommygunn posted:

Her brother is the absolute worst scum piece of poo poo, to the extent that it feels like it's going against the theme of the expansion that monsters are created, not born. He's always been a piece of poo poo, having barely changed from the little bastard who smugly grinned at his little sister's abuse. If anything, the only change in his character from the flashbacks to the moment he dies is that he learns to just barely contain his sadism behind a mask of politeness. Or maybe I'm just projecting because I also have a lovely older brother who takes joy in my suffering.

(4.x postgame) I'm not going to defend this plot too hard (I personally found it the worst writing in FF14), but I think the idea with Asahi is that he wasn't born awful, just ruined in early childhood by his terrible parents, and that being the "golden child" made him as maladjusted as Yotsuyu's abuse made her. He's also another example of the ongoing theme in Stormblood of the Garlean Empire being fundamentally abusive and marginalizing to non-Garleans in its command structure. Fordola and Yotsuyu (and even Grynewaht a bit) are the more obvious examples, but Asahi demonstrates that even those coming from relative privilege, who seem to succeed on paper, are still being jerked around by a system that hates them. (Also a system that, as becomes clear towards the end of Stormblood, is much more focused on fomenting chaos than on actually creating a functional empire, which I think goes a long way to explaining what the hell happened in Doma.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

god is that why my audio is hosed, i thought my headset was dying

until today, when i heard the static and pops on my speakers too, god bless. didn't want to have to buy a new headset lol. yeah i have an AMD processor so chalk me up as being in that camp

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've got an AMD processor and only had a single full-on sound crash during my first attempt at P4. The only thing I've been getting has been certain sound effects from other party members (especially louder ones like Peloton) sounding like they've been recorded in a bathtub.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Monk changed enough in EW they I went ahead and looked up a text guide for proper rotations. After finally locating a thorough and well-mathed one, I get near the end and... he openly advocates using a plug in to remove animation lock so you can double weave with a <2s GCD in order to make the openers work right

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Monk changed enough in EW they I went ahead and looked up a text guide for proper rotations. After finally locating a thorough and well-mathed one, I get near the end and... he openly advocates using a plug in to remove animation lock so you can double weave with a <2s GCD in order to make the openers work right

lol

That sounds like the kind of plugin that gets your rear end banned if I'm understanding right.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

probably, unless you don't talk about it in-game like basically every other plugin or program that skirts the line.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds like the kind of plugin that gets your rear end banned if I'm understanding right.

It modifies your packets directly if it's the one I'm thinking about, which is one of the ToS violations they don't let slide.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's super bannable, not 'oh tee hee don't mention you're using this gpose mod kay?' but like 'oh you're doing an actual cheat'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I held off on using a tracker for so long because people made it sound so complicated. Like asking "how do I start jogging without hurting myself" and getting a bunch of stuff about pro equipment and marathons.

Nope, just download ACT, deal with admin privileges/antivirus, it auto-detects you have FF14 and downloads the appropriate parser, and you're done. The way setup guides talked about it sounded as if it was required to get an overlay setup and fflogs sorted out and XYZ addons and all that for anything to work. For what I want to use it for, I'm good.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ACT and cactbot used to be an absolute nightmare to install and keep updated and i'm very glad that it's all automatic now

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
if y'all are talking about xivalexander, i've been using it for months without eating a ban

also, yoshi-p double weaved without clipping during the monk showcase in the live letter, so it's clearly intended that you be able to do so

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Jesus, imagine installing a plug in to squeeze 20 more potency out of an opener and getting banned for it. A hearty lol.

Edit: ^^ just saw your post. Good luck! Hope it's worth it <3

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

yea that's super bannable, not 'oh tee hee don't mention you're using this gpose mod kay?' but like 'oh you're doing an actual cheat'

Definitely. I can understand a bit when he points out that certain things can only work optimally if you live in the data center hosting the game servers, but if your math-ed out opener demands that you to break the game in a way that WILL get you banned if you're caught, the sensible response is to math out a different opener.

At least I get how basic setup and maintenance for Blitz works now.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been finding contradictory on this. Is server transferring just off until things calm down or is it just off at certain times? Was hoping to get back on with friends but we're on different servers

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

central dogma posted:

Jesus, imagine installing a plug in to squeeze 20 more potency out of an opener and getting banned for it. A hearty lol.

lmao what's that suppose to mean

like, I loving hate that xivalexander is even an option, but the game's designed in a way that makes double weaving ping-dependent, and if someone has horrible ping and that makes their job functional then by all means. the plugin's creator has a warning that using the plugin is liable for a ban, but it's been around for years and just like any plugin or windower in ff11, the devs don't seem to give a poo poo if you aren't being stupid about it.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 2, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been finding contradictory on this. Is server transferring just off until things calm down or is it just off at certain times? Was hoping to get back on with friends but we're on different servers

World hopping is on, just generally advised not to at this point in time. Cross data server is Latertm

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

Definitely. I can understand a bit when he points out that certain things can only work optimally if you live in the data center hosting the game servers, but if your math-ed out opener demands that you to break the game in a way that WILL get you banned if you're caught, the sensible response is to math out a different opener.

i mean, it does include advice on what to do if you can't double weave

quote:

The opener requires a double weave if you wish to preserve the same Brotherhood timing as the double Solar opener - if you and your group are fine to delay BH by 1 GCD, simply move it + Riddle of Wind 1 oGCD slot down.

central dogma posted:

it has been so worth it, the game just feels so much better with it

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Vitamean posted:

like, I loving hate that xivalexander is even an option, but the game's designed in a way that makes double weaving ping-dependent, and if someone has horrible ping and that makes their job functional then by all means. the plugin's creator has a warning that using the plugin is liable for a ban, but it's been around for years and just like any plugin or windower in ff11, the devs don't seem to give a poo poo if you aren't being stupid about it.

i get what you're saying but isn't this about 20 potency lmao

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

World hopping is on, just generally advised not to at this point in time. Cross data server is Latertm

There are no brand new servers right we could all transfer to right?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not yet. We're supposed to get a timeline for new servers sometime this month.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do we have any hints yet what the Tuesday gear will look like?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Thundarr posted:

At least I get how basic setup and maintenance for Blitz works now.

tbh I think it's a lot less about the potency and more an expression of frustration with the fact that they game is effectively broken for anyone who doesn't live in Japan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hellioning posted:

TIL the tell for Experimental Fireplume is visual. Then again I also didn't notice the visual tell for Dawn Mantle until I saw a reaction video for the fight...

IT's actually 3 tells. Big orb is center hit. Many small orbs is Cruise Chaser's shiva-like. Dark purple orbs are the spread mechanic.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

IT's actually 3 tells. Big orb is center hit. Many small orbs is Cruise Chaser's shiva-like. Dark purple orbs are the spread mechanic.

These are actually two separate moves! Dark purple orbs is "Charplume," not "Fireplume."

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Is this what you'll tell tech support if they come a knockin with a ban? Because I'm not sure they'll buy it. But maybe if you tell them you saw YoshiP double weave in a live letter...

As an aside, is there any content you haven't been able to clear without this tool? I know double weaving can be ping-dependent, but I don't think any content is designed to be insurmountable without double weaving.

Do what you want. You're tool doesn't affect me. I do, truly and sincerely hope you're right that people don't get banned for this. I mean that.

^^ I threw 20 potency out as a random number.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

admanb posted:

tbh I think it's a lot less about the potency and more an expression of frustration with the fact that they game is effectively broken for anyone who doesn't live in Japan.

If it's a matter of something like old Ninja mudras - where there's a noticeable difference in overall DPS due solely to the mechanic being highly unfavorable to any pings above, like, 20ms - then a level of frustration and a desire for a fix is understandable, but I'm not convinced that this is the case here.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
unless square enix suddenly implements any sort of anti-cheat system into the game 10 years after launch, or one of you narcs on me, i don't think i'll be getting a call from tech support any time soon

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Good to know because both time I've done that fight I've just guessed and was right often enough to not die.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Hey, we're all friends here. I reacted in shock is all. Like, I've spent several thousand hours in 14. If something is against TOS, even if no one has ever been banned for it in ten years, I'd nope the hell out.

Also, isn't the Games forum public or no?

Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone. It's out of my system now.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Fun Shoe
the actual best use case for xivalexander isn't double weaving on monk, it's single-weaving on machinist during overcharge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

central dogma posted:

Is this what you'll tell tech support if they come a knockin with a ban? Because I'm not sure they'll buy it. But maybe if you tell them you saw YoshiP double weave in a live letter...

As an aside, is there any content you haven't been able to clear without this tool? I know double weaving can be ping-dependent, but I don't think any content is designed to be insurmountable without double weaving.

Do what you want. You're tool doesn't affect me. I do, truly and sincerely hope you're right that people don't get banned for this. I mean that.

^^ I threw 20 potency out as a random number.

I don't use xivalexander, but thanks for typing out this raisinbrained post for me.