Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think it's so good despite the cheesy parts because it's clearly a labor of love, and all of the OG cast are having the times of their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
To the show's credit it's gotten me very close to watching Karate Kid 3, which is a terrible movie based on everything Ive ever read.

Ill make my kids suffer through it with me, like Daniel makes his children suffer through his karate legacy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a fun movie

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a fun movie

gently caress it gonna watch it tonight.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PneumonicBook posted:

To the show's credit it's gotten me very close to watching Karate Kid 3, which is a terrible movie based on everything Ive ever read.

Ill make my kids suffer through it with me, like Daniel makes his children suffer through his karate legacy.

Honestly, same. I'm so enamored with Silver's performance and arc this season that I want to see the godawful shlocky movie it came from.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The Bee posted:

Honestly, same. I'm so enamored with Silver's performance and arc this season that I want to see the godawful shlocky movie it came from.

Yea its all based on how good of a villain Silver is because he absolutely nails his performance in season 4.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

PneumonicBook posted:

karate kid 3 is one of the greatest movies ever made op and I'm jealous you get to experience it for the first time soon

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

I'm not kidding it's a loving tour de force and anyone who says otherwise is Not Cool

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination but I would say it's required viewing for the current season of Cobra Kai.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ram dass in hell posted:

karate kid 3 is one of the greatest movies ever made op and I'm jealous you get to experience it for the first time soon

I guess cocaine can explain how somebody in his late teens can bargain a multi-millionaire or more like Terry into giving up half the profits of the proposed Cobra Kai franchise, although to be fair it is probably a mistake to do any high-level deals while in a bubble bath.

Spoiled because I want our goon friend to go into that movie as fresh as a daisy.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

I guess cocaine can explain how somebody in his late teens can bargain a multi-millionaire or more like Terry into giving up half the profits of the proposed Cobra Kai franchise, although to be fair it is probably a mistake to do any high-level deals while in a bubble bath.

Spoiled because I want our goon friend to go into that movie as fresh as a daisy.

every scene is just outstanding. you're exactly correct. wicked witch cackling into his zack morris cell phone in the sauna, every scene with daniel joining cobra kai, every miyagi conversation, the entire bonsai tree in the devil's cauldron arc. it's a perfect fuckin movie

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I am watching it now friends, I will report back shortly.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Alright so Karate Kid 3, I wrote this basically real time to the movie and it's a stream of conscience, despair all who enter.

First of all Tony Silver gives me huge Wolfgang Krauser vibes (from the Fatal Fury 2 movie) in the movie, same as he did in Season 4, a lot of that has to do with the piano whenever he's around, he's rich, and he's a good fighter. Because of this, I'm already biased. Ralph Macchio really sells himself as an overzealous teen, but also I can totally see how he could end up as a car salesman like he did in Cobra Kai, way more so than in the first two movies. Things like this just make me appreciate how they set up Cobra Kai more. I like that Silver and Kreese's relationship is basically identical to how it is in Cobra Kai. In the beginning of KK3 Silver tells Kreese that he's going to make these guys pay and Kreese is very much like nah you don't have to go to those lengths, which echoes the Season 4 moment when Silver brings Johnny into the old dojo. The super wide pan out when theyre doing the Miyagi kata is a great shot. Snake being the baddest guy in LA is uh..certainly a thing. This movie also does a lot (as do the other two) to show why Daniel is the way he is as far as putting MIyagi on a pedestal. Miyaig was able to just kind of go with the flow and Daniel is constantly working through his aggressive nature to be more like this father figure he has that is at this point in his life completely the opposite of him. At this point in the movie the big failing is not showing why Mike Barnes is an actual threat. Johnny and Chozen were shown as actual threats that affect Daniel's or Miyagi's life, thus far Mike's talked to Silver in a bath tub and been very angry with Daniel about not entering the All Valley. I'll assume this changes at some point. Oh okay Barnes beats up his under aged not love interest and then beats up Daniel, I suppose taht shows that there are some stakes. Daniel yelling at Miyagi that "This is the 80's you have to do something!" is pretty hilarious given how passive he is in Cobra Kai. The entire roping down the mountain scene is peak bad 80s, especially the part where Barnes is just going to kill Daniel if he doesn't sign the application. The Bonsai Tree getting murdered because of Daniel's impulsiveness really speaks to again how passive he is in Cobra Kai. Whenever he does anything, ever, it goes wrong, always. Better to be passive and try to defend the hits, I guess.

Daniel running right to Cobra Kai isn't super believable. Miyagi brings him a broom to learn sweeps and who knows what kind of bizarre Miyagi Do technique he'd teach him? Daniel should know this is how he teaches. Now Daniel is stealing the magic healing dust while the Bonsai tree dies. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN? This band in the dance scene is extremely 80s as well. Daniel clocking the creep and having a crisis of conscience doesn't seem earned. He feels bad because the movie requires him to feel bad, a lot of the conflict in this part of the movie is just precipitated by needing to get to a to b to c, which is pretty disappointing. The Miyagi scene where he beats Silver and Creese is pretty sweet. That's one thing all of the movies did well, was show Miyagi to be an impenetrable bastion of defense.

The tournament fight is just Daniel getting his poo poo kicked in. The movies have never made Daniel a believable fighter and this keeps with tradition. Daniel beats Mike Barnes by confusing him with a...kata...

At the end of the day not a lot happened in this movie, but it does paint Silver as a convincing rear end in a top hat of a villain but no one needs to watch this. The movie ending with just The End, credits is pretty bad but theres nothing to talk about so...

From a Cobra Kai perspective it helps solidifying Daniel's reverence of Miyagi and why he's incredibly passive, but you don;t need to watch this movie to understand the basics of their relationship. I started watching Cobra Kai after only watching the First Karate Kid before, and I'd argue neither of the sequels are required viewing, nor should anyone watch them. Instead watch the end of Karate Kid 2 and all of the Silver clips on Youtube and you're covered.

I think I've been trolled.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Great loving season. It had some issues, not as good as Kobra Kai Season 1 and Season 2 but, hey what is? And then in 2022 I . . . .

-Biggest Gripe: I get why, because of the mechanics of the show, they have to keep expanding the cast but hold poo poo was this too many people. Dr. Fitzbottom or whatever is the only new character I care about and I just think of him as a dude in a lovely fursuit.

-1st Coolest thing: I *love* how low-stakes all of the fights are. I've adored Tory since she joined the cast so of course I wanted her to win. I was raised on 80s cartoons, so I also expected her not to win. But during the fight, I was like -- wouldn't it be cool if she did? And then she did. Total emotional validation.

-2nd Coolest thing: There was a point where it became *extremely* noticeable that people weren't on stage together and it was all blue-screen magic. It has a nice V-Effekt where I knew I was watching a show while also being engaged with the show. That really made Cool Thing #1 hit.

-I liked the whole relapse narrative where it went from "Wow, that was my rock bottom" to "I'm right back at it again BUT BIGGER NOW" all with plenty of vaguely PG-13 allusions to that.

-I loved the whole LaRusso family getting called out as bad parents.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Season 4 was good. A lot of ambiguous motivation going on

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

Season 4 was good. A lot of ambiguous motivation going on

Really? That's like the complete opposite of my read. Everyone's motivations are 100% clear on my end. This is the least ambiguous season in an unambiguous show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

Alright so Karate Kid 3, I wrote this basically real time to the movie and it's a stream of conscience, despair all who enter.

First of all Tony Silver gives me huge Wolfgang Krauser vibes (from the Fatal Fury 2 movie) in the movie, same as he did in Season 4, a lot of that has to do with the piano whenever he's around, he's rich, and he's a good fighter. Because of this, I'm already biased. Ralph Macchio really sells himself as an overzealous teen, but also I can totally see how he could end up as a car salesman like he did in Cobra Kai, way more so than in the first two movies. Things like this just make me appreciate how they set up Cobra Kai more. I like that Silver and Kreese's relationship is basically identical to how it is in Cobra Kai. In the beginning of KK3 Silver tells Kreese that he's going to make these guys pay and Kreese is very much like nah you don't have to go to those lengths, which echoes the Season 4 moment when Silver brings Johnny into the old dojo. The super wide pan out when theyre doing the Miyagi kata is a great shot. Snake being the baddest guy in LA is uh..certainly a thing. This movie also does a lot (as do the other two) to show why Daniel is the way he is as far as putting MIyagi on a pedestal. Miyaig was able to just kind of go with the flow and Daniel is constantly working through his aggressive nature to be more like this father figure he has that is at this point in his life completely the opposite of him. At this point in the movie the big failing is not showing why Mike Barnes is an actual threat. Johnny and Chozen were shown as actual threats that affect Daniel's or Miyagi's life, thus far Mike's talked to Silver in a bath tub and been very angry with Daniel about not entering the All Valley. I'll assume this changes at some point. Oh okay Barnes beats up his under aged not love interest and then beats up Daniel, I suppose taht shows that there are some stakes. Daniel yelling at Miyagi that "This is the 80's you have to do something!" is pretty hilarious given how passive he is in Cobra Kai. The entire roping down the mountain scene is peak bad 80s, especially the part where Barnes is just going to kill Daniel if he doesn't sign the application. The Bonsai Tree getting murdered because of Daniel's impulsiveness really speaks to again how passive he is in Cobra Kai. Whenever he does anything, ever, it goes wrong, always. Better to be passive and try to defend the hits, I guess.

Daniel running right to Cobra Kai isn't super believable. Miyagi brings him a broom to learn sweeps and who knows what kind of bizarre Miyagi Do technique he'd teach him? Daniel should know this is how he teaches. Now Daniel is stealing the magic healing dust while the Bonsai tree dies. WHAT COULD THIS MEAN? This band in the dance scene is extremely 80s as well. Daniel clocking the creep and having a crisis of conscience doesn't seem earned. He feels bad because the movie requires him to feel bad, a lot of the conflict in this part of the movie is just precipitated by needing to get to a to b to c, which is pretty disappointing. The Miyagi scene where he beats Silver and Creese is pretty sweet. That's one thing all of the movies did well, was show Miyagi to be an impenetrable bastion of defense.

The tournament fight is just Daniel getting his poo poo kicked in. The movies have never made Daniel a believable fighter and this keeps with tradition. Daniel beats Mike Barnes by confusing him with a...kata...

At the end of the day not a lot happened in this movie, but it does paint Silver as a convincing rear end in a top hat of a villain but no one needs to watch this. The movie ending with just The End, credits is pretty bad but theres nothing to talk about so...

From a Cobra Kai perspective it helps solidifying Daniel's reverence of Miyagi and why he's incredibly passive, but you don;t need to watch this movie to understand the basics of their relationship. I started watching Cobra Kai after only watching the First Karate Kid before, and I'd argue neither of the sequels are required viewing, nor should anyone watch them. Instead watch the end of Karate Kid 2 and all of the Silver clips on Youtube and you're covered.

I think I've been trolled.

It's so bad it's good, mainly from Silva hamming it up. Not sure why you got the impression that it was good, good.

Karate Kid 4 is so bad It's bad, in comparison, even with Walton Goggins AND Michael Ironside

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Karate Kid 3 is one of the all-time greats of unintentionally bad movies. There's just so many layers to it, and the Rifftrax is 10/10 too.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Darko posted:

It's so bad it's good, mainly from Silva hamming it up. Not sure why you got the impression that it was good, good.

Karate Kid 4 is so bad It's bad, in comparison, even with Walton Goggins AND Michael Ironside

Silver being a coked out 80s villain is great. The movie definitely does not wrap around to being good though. Like it's not a trolls 2 situation here, it's just a very bad 80s sequel.

I should clarify, I absolutely didn't think it would be good, but I thought it might be 'okay' in an 80s way, and it is...not.

Hopefully season 5 is this year so I don't do something silly like watch the newer karate kid movies.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 2, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Finished it up and it was good for the most part. I'll give it this, the show is addictive as hell.

I know the show's key to success is straddling the delicate balance of cheese, drama, believable rivalries and cartoon violence but I think that overall this season leaned just a little bit too hard into the cheesy factor. It kind of made up for it by leaning so hard into it like previous seasons did but also by subverting my expectations:

Cobra Kai winning
I totally thought that Daniel was gonna do the Miyagi "rub the palms together" thing to heal Miguel. Or later on Sam. Or Hawk.
Several times I expected a crane kick
Predicted a big brawl at the prom but they did it at the after party instead and it was only a 2 on 2
I thought that Robbie and Tori would gently caress up the sports car somehow - driving drunk or something - and would face retribution or be indebted to Terry Silver
Only one I remember really getting right was the tie between Johnny and Daniel. Shades of Rocky 2.

But too often I thought it went a little over the top, even for this show.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 2, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darko posted:

It's true. Like Karate Kid 3 is great because it's so riffable, and in fact the MST3K boys at RiffTrax have done just that for it and it's really funny but it's a bad movie I think everyone can enjoy. What's not to be delighted by? Terry gives The Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes two henchpeople in Dennis and Sssssnake who I remind the court if you want to be bad in LA, Sssssnake's the one to be bad with. Terry's profession of making and/or possibly just dumping chloride sludge in South American countries. Daniel somehow thinking the business name Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees was direct and catchy when it is none of those things. THE QUICKSILVER METHOD. (I firmly believe the Method is something they found in a copy of Black Belt Magazine, just renamed.)

Karate Kid 4 though, no, it's just bad. They actually spend more time picking out a dress for the lead character than they do fighting. The lead villain is, to quote a funny YouTube video on the subject, what would happen if Johnny and Mike Barnes had a baby and you dropped it on its head.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

BiggerBoat posted:

Finished it up and it was good for the most part. I'll give it this, the show is addictive as hell.

I know the show's key to success is straddling the delicate balance of cheese, drama, believable rivalries and cartoon violence but I think that overall this season leaned just a little bit too hard into the cheesy factor. It kind of made up for it by leaning so hard into it like previous seasons did but also by subverting my expectations:

Cobra Kai winning
I totally thought that Daniel was gonna do the Miyagi "rub the palms together" thing to heal Miguel. Or later on Sam. Or Hawk.
Several times I expected a crane kick
Predicted a big brawl at the prom but they did it at the after party instead and it was only a 2 on 2
I thought that Robbie and Tori would gently caress up the sports car somehow - driving drunk or something - and would face retribution or be indebted to Terry Silver
Only one I remember really getting right was the tie between Johnny and Daniel. Shades of Rocky 2.

But too often I thought it went a little over the top, even for this show.

Honestly, I felt like this was a little less over the top than the seasons where you literally had public karate riots breaking out.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Cobra Kai winning

I actually thought this was pretty predictable, going in I felt like if Cobra Kai loses, the story kinda just abruptly ends, and they wouldn't waste their time building up Terry so much to just have Cobra Kai fizzle out. And the blow would be softened by giving Miyagi-do or Eagle Fang one of the trophies, just not making enough points to win the whole thing, so there could be this "technically we didn't lose" thing or whatever. Miguel getting hurt I didn't call (I hated that, thought it was a weak attempt at a swerve, especially when he turned out to just have a pulled muscle; also I felt like Eli deserved a clean win over him, and that would've been a better twist than fakeout injury+Miguel decides to quit) but it was pretty clear which two people would win the trophies, especially once Announcer Guy tipped the hand by announcing "Cobra Kai only needs to win once to be grand champions"

It's a little hard to buy an entire metro area being so obsessed with high school point karate though, especially when MMA exists. Cobra Kai feels more like a dojo that would compete full contact, Kyokushin style, anyway.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I felt like this was a little less over the top than the seasons where you literally had public karate riots breaking out.

When I get a minute, I'll cite a few examples that stood out to me, which seemed mostly front loaded and felt like they leveled off as it got going. Could just be I'm getting slightly burned out on the formula though.

Flesnolk posted:

I actually thought this was pretty predictable, going in I felt like if Cobra Kai loses, the story kinda just abruptly ends, and they wouldn't waste their time building up Terry so much to just have Cobra Kai fizzle out. And the blow would be softened by giving Miyagi-do or Eagle Fang one of the trophies, just not making enough points to win the whole thing, so there could be this "technically we didn't lose" thing or whatever. Miguel getting hurt I didn't call (I hated that, thought it was a weak attempt at a swerve, especially when he turned out to just have a pulled muscle; also I felt like Eli deserved a clean win over him, and that would've been a better twist than fakeout injury+Miguel decides to quit) but it was pretty clear which two people would win the trophies, especially once Announcer Guy tipped the hand by announcing "Cobra Kai only needs to win once to be grand champions"

It's a little hard to buy an entire metro area being so obsessed with high school point karate though, especially when MMA exists. Cobra Kai feels more like a dojo that would compete full contact, Kyokushin style, anyway.

That makes sense, especially that last part but I felt like no matter who won the tournament, there were several different ways to keep it going. One team cheated (I was honestly expecting a callback to the illegal kick crane kick only a DQ this time), the bribery thing that we actually got, one of the Karate Council members cutting deal Cobra Kai just saying "Well, gently caress that. WE aint gonna leave town" or some technicality poo poo where the loser just simply starts a new dojo under a different name and brings in a front.

I knew we weren't going to get a final resolution knowing that S5 is in the can but I was honestly surprised when the Cobras won

I just found myself constantly making calls and predictions that fit into the lore but never came and was happy to be wrong.

Also, regarding that last sentence you posted (bolded), that remains the most hilarious element of this entire show. This huge Southern California High School Karate Industry where the stakes are so high a, bordering on world domination, and the results make the sports page. This show has absolutely no business whatsoever being as good (or even as palatable) as it is. It's hammy, cheesy, over the top, goofy as hell and still overly serious but somehow straddles all that poo poo. It's kind of a miracle.

I said it before but I really hope that William Zabka gets some more diverse and serious roles out of this because I think he's great on this show and I suspect he has range.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That would be understandable, the whole Karate Gang War thing is really getting run into the ground. There were points in this season where I expected people to just start shooting each other.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Bee posted:

I laughed so hard at when the principal out whoever was talking about removing things that could be used as a weapon if another karate fight broke out

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I love the show, I'm very happy it's ending next season. I really don't want the series to get too tedious and have plotlines lingering on forever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

They sort of explain that likening to how karate in the 80's in the Valley was like football in Texas and it's just like that again now. It's fine. Karate is the source of and solution to the series' problems.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

They sort of explain that likening to how karate in the 80's in the Valley was like football in Texas and it's just like that again now. It's fine. Karate is the source of and solution to the series' problems.

Also that whole Miyagi child labor racket is pretty sweet.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

some technicality poo poo where the loser just simply starts a new dojo under a different name and brings in a front.

This last one is definitely how I expected it to go, especially because it's not like this was an actual legally binding contract. I figured Johnny and Daniel would just found a new dojo that's basically EF/MD merged, and come right back in the next season with "well we did close our dojos like we agreed."

quote:

Also, regarding that last sentence you posted (bolded), that remains the most hilarious element of this entire show. This huge Southern California High School Karate Industry where the stakes are so high a, bordering on world domination, and the results make the sports page.

I remain very surprised that neither Johnny, nor Daniel, nor any of their students seemed to have any interest in competitive karate outside LA, or professional kickboxing or something. I remember when I first watched season 1 I expected Daniel to have won more accolades than "won two lovely point tournaments in the eighties, became a used car salesman with the rest of his gabagools and gabagals"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Larusso knocks out/injures like 5 players after a hockey game and everyone is cool with it. The rules are different in the valley.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Larusso knocks out/injures like 5 players after a hockey game and everyone is cool with it. The rules are different in the valley.

Tbf they were a bunch of pro athletes about to jump a guy for trash talking during a game. I doubt they would be eager to go to the cops like “yeah a half a dozen of us corned one guy and he beat the stuffing out of all of us like it was nothing”.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was thinking more a bystander or something, but apparently everyone is living that "no be there" lifestyle

Best line of the season is Johnny dropping that while casually eating a pretzel

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Flesnolk posted:

I remain very surprised that neither Johnny, nor Daniel, nor any of their students seemed to have any interest in competitive karate outside LA, or professional kickboxing or something. I remember when I first watched season 1 I expected Daniel to have won more accolades than "won two lovely point tournaments in the eighties, became a used car salesman with the rest of his gabagools and gabagals"

I'm not too surprised, to be honest. Daniel learned karate to fight back against bullies. Johnny learned karate to be a badass. Kreese learned karate because he never left the jungles of 'nam. With the exception of their local tournament / proxy battleground of the karate wars, a drive towards organized competition doesn't really seem like something any of these mentors is passing down.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Technically Kreese didn't learn karate at all, it's tang soo do :V

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Great loving season. It had some issues, not as good as Kobra Kai Season 1 and Season 2 but, hey what is? And then in 2022 I . . . .

-2nd Coolest thing: There was a point where it became *extremely* noticeable that people weren't on stage together and it was all blue-screen magic. It has a nice V-Effekt where I knew I was watching a show while also being engaged with the show. That really made Cool Thing #1 hit.

Where did you spot this? I think it was abundantly clear that the all valley was filmed on a MUCH smaller set. Definitely felt like they were filming in a gym rather than an auditorium. All the fights looked like they had both participants in the same place though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Was rewatching some of the fight sequences today in particular the tourney fights, I especially love the way each character's personality comes through in their style.

There's also some foreshadowing for the referee buy-off in episode 9 when Tory scores a point on Devon (new Eagle Fang girl) while she was definitively out of bounds.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dawgstar posted:

It's true. Like Karate Kid 3 is great because it's so riffable, and in fact the MST3K boys at RiffTrax have done just that for it and it's really funny but it's a bad movie I think everyone can enjoy. What's not to be delighted by? Terry gives The Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes two henchpeople in Dennis and Sssssnake who I remind the court if you want to be bad in LA, Sssssnake's the one to be bad with. Terry's profession of making and/or possibly just dumping chloride sludge in South American countries. Daniel somehow thinking the business name Mr. Miyagi's Little Trees was direct and catchy when it is none of those things. THE QUICKSILVER METHOD. (I firmly believe the Method is something they found in a copy of Black Belt Magazine, just renamed.)

Karate Kid 4 though, no, it's just bad. They actually spend more time picking out a dress for the lead character than they do fighting. The lead villain is, to quote a funny YouTube video on the subject, what would happen if Johnny and Mike Barnes had a baby and you dropped it on its head.

3 is watchable. Nobody should waste their time rewatching or watching the Next Karate Kid.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Next Karate kid is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Was rewatching some of the fight sequences today in particular the tourney fights, I especially love the way each character's personality comes through in their style.

There's also some foreshadowing for the referee buy-off in episode 9 when Tory scores a point on Devon (new Eagle Fang girl) while she was definitively out of bounds.

Overall I thought the fight scenes were a slight step down from what the series has done before; nowhere near as crisp or as clear as they've done in the past. But I think it balances out because I agree that they clearly spent far more time creating a unique style for everyone. Like the way that Robby fights in the premiere is radically different than what we've seen, leaning harder into Miyagi Do with brief touches of Cobra Kai. Mary Mouser was the weak link before; they clearly worked with her and helped build out both her actual stunt skills and a unique style.