Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason we can't spell or pronounce omicron?

I expected fifty hours or more every week all December. I averaged less than thirty-five hours every week for peak season. Hooray for being a non-career postal employee.

I keep thinking it's the colony Protoform X wiped out from BeastWars.

Like damnit dude, you missed some!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soonmot posted:

I'm a retail dog trainer, I run about twenty four private classes a week and just since Christmas I've had four people ask for a reschedule because of covid. Last year at this time with the same volume of students I'd maybe have one every month or so. Half our store and almost the entire grooming salon is out with it too.

oh yeah we're porked. they just lowered quarantine to 5 days at the specific request of some airline so I'm sure cancelations and reschedules are going to be the standard soon

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cowslips Warren posted:

I keep thinking it's the colony Protoform X wiped out from BeastWars.

Like damnit dude, you missed some!

I just did things like learn the Greek alphabet when I was a kid from astronomy books I had. This is why I'm still single.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I found it hilarious earlier in the week that after never doing a Severe Weather drill despite working there for over 4 years (multiple actual events though) we did a Severe Weather drill at my FC. Totally unrelated to a recent severe weather that has caused serious PR issues for Amazon. For reference, we apparently do 1 of each drill (fire/severe weather shelter) each quarter for insurance reasons...yet I've only done 2 fire drills (and had one actual fire event I was on site for when the industrial cardboard compactor caught fire) in those 4 years so I'm pretty sure they do one...period, not one per shift. Which is comically (criminally?) horrible considering Amazon's churn even before COVID.

I found it even funnier when we went back upstairs only for the upstairs pack departments to have had like 3/4ths of their lights shut off. It wasn't pitch dark but I'm 100% sure it was a safety violation for us to keep working for the hour it took for the lights to be turned back on.

Anyways, got stuck with overtime (something something 59% attendance because A: it's the last week of the year and a lot of people traditionally take time off and B: massive COVID wave ran through the building) so yay...my New Years weekend is now 2 nights instead of 3 as it should be. Laughed even harder as Back Half had the same obviously Corporate Required safety drill.

And just about died laughing when the same lights died about 1.5 hours later (took maintenance only 20 minutes to turn them back on though).

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
3 coworkers have tested positive.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

dovetaile posted:

3 coworkers have tested positive.

I’ve got my optical ganglia crossed for you to not get sick

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I know you've said that you work in a distribution center, Alky, but I'm wondering if you've ever seen or dealt with any returns for Amazon.

At this point, the Whole Foods I work at has basically doubled the number of return boxes we go through on a daily basis, and there's definitely some weird poo poo that the site lets people bring over for us to try and cram into a 2' square box. So I'm curious to see if you've ever had to deal with any of that kind of poo poo on your end, or if there's any stories you may have from someone who has.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Four of my six classes scheduled for today are isolating due to covid exposure. I should have just called in today.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aniodia posted:

I know you've said that you work in a distribution center, Alky, but I'm wondering if you've ever seen or dealt with any returns for Amazon.

At this point, the Whole Foods I work at has basically doubled the number of return boxes we go through on a daily basis, and there's definitely some weird poo poo that the site lets people bring over for us to try and cram into a 2' square box. So I'm curious to see if you've ever had to deal with any of that kind of poo poo on your end, or if there's any stories you may have from someone who has.

Nope my site is not set up for returns (not that it has ever stopped Amazon before). I think there are entirely specialized warehouses for that.

Or I guess Whole Foods.

Every story I hear about Whole Foods since Amazon took them over has made me less and less interested in ever walking into one again.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Alkydere posted:

Nope my site is not set up for returns (not that it has ever stopped Amazon before). I think there are entirely specialized warehouses for that.
I figured as much, but just wanted to double check.

quote:

Every story I hear about Whole Foods since Amazon took them over has made me less and less interested in ever walking into one again.
Yeah, save your time. There's enough "organic" stuff at normal grocery stores, and even some of the stranger things we carry can easily be found at more specialized shops (like an Asian supermarket or the like). I'm particularly surprised the store I'm in does as much business as we do, given that we have not only two Asian supermarkets close by, but also a fresh food co-op, multiple Indian/Middle Eastern stores, and probably a few bodegas as well, just within a 5-mile radius, on top of the normal Hannaford/Price Chopper/Shop Rite.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Brand loyalty is a hell of a drug.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soonmot posted:

Four of my six classes scheduled for today are isolating due to covid exposure. I should have just called in today.

i'm a prophet

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
There are specialized warehouses for returns, but thanks to increased volume many distribution centers now periodically have "pop-up" customer returns departments to help handle all the packages.

We used to have one just last year, and it will probably be back for this year. We already have trucks coming in with redirected returns without a returns department existing. We also have constantly had packages of "undeliverables" come back to the receive dock (actually just SIOC packages that still had the UPS label to be shipped to amazon from the seller, in addition to the UPS label going to the customer) which require the same processing as returns.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of us got to leave 2 whole hours early because over 6 registers today, we made just over $1200 and it was costing them too much to have us work!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Today I told my boss that I'm out after a few months to prepare for a replacement. I didn't go into specifics since we've talked about all that stuff a bunch over that last month or so, just said I've been unhappy for a long time and now that I have a kid I've realized that I need to prioritize myself and my family more than I have. Good to have that done finally, it's been a long time coming.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alkydere posted:

They're not as good as I am, but I meanwhile can be put into so many places to fill holes.
Call me. :heysexy:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh my~

Anyways, attendance somehow got worse tonight at 45%, so of course more overtime has been called. 7th straight week of overtime...and at double pay because they're so desperate.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sorry for doublepost but...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Despite more people showing up we're falling further behind. Start of shift my manager tells me we're at 0.55 backlog*. End of shift I ask his manager how we're doing. She replies with what I can only describe as a "laugh of the damned" before checking. "No, despite every department over-processing work like champions we didn't have enough people here so we're now at 0.65. Oh, no wait, we did bring it down to 0.64! Now what do you think is going to happen over the day when people wake up and start ordering crap again?"

Local managers are going nuts because one one hand they have to get this work down before the system stops manually calling overtime on them. On the other hand they just don't know how to make the workload drop before people start getting too burnt out.

*How much of a day it would take us to clear the work already assigned to the building if nothing new was ordered online.

Oh and have a little BS Cherry on top of this poo poo Sundae. I just adore this final little screen the "welcome to work" message plays at your station when you log onto a work station for the first time:

"If you're stressed out find some images of nature to relax to. But only images: goodness knows we're not giving you enough time off to actually visit nature."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 4, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At this point I want to ask what positions there actually are (other than manager) in your facility. Like, people who grab poo poo, people who pack poo poo, people who fix poo poo, people who grab more poo poo? All from conveyor belts or robot driven totes or...?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Aniodia posted:

I figured as much, but just wanted to double check.

Yeah, save your time. There's enough "organic" stuff at normal grocery stores, and even some of the stranger things we carry can easily be found at more specialized shops (like an Asian supermarket or the like). I'm particularly surprised the store I'm in does as much business as we do, given that we have not only two Asian supermarkets close by, but also a fresh food co-op, multiple Indian/Middle Eastern stores, and probably a few bodegas as well, just within a 5-mile radius, on top of the normal Hannaford/Price Chopper/Shop Rite.

The people who shop at Whole Foods are the type of people who don't want to associate with or support the "other people" who own/run all those other shops...

I shop at as many small specialized shops as I can but also have Costco and Meijer close by who both have a pretty good selection of more specialized stuff now. They are opening a Whole Foods here for the first time soon and I am sure it will be packed at first like when Trader Joes came to town but I doubt it will last.

Doesn't Kohl's also take Amazon returns now. Anyone work there and can give insight on that?

VVVV - Now that would be funny and I wouldn't put it past Kohl's or Amazon to try that.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Are you given Kohl's Cash for the return?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

At this point I want to ask what positions there actually are (other than manager) in your facility. Like, people who grab poo poo, people who pack poo poo, people who fix poo poo, people who grab more poo poo? All from conveyor belts or robot driven totes or...?

Note that this is not an exhaustive list, just off of the top of my head:

Inbound:
The people who take poo poo out of trucks, the people who palletize the poo poo that came out of trucks, the people who move those pallets around to the staging areas, the people who take the pallets from the staging areas to the stowers to be put into inventory, the Problem Solve crew for all of the previous.

Outbound:
The people that take items out of inventory, Jackpot (me, on a good day) who problem solves their crap, the packers:
Singles: Smalls (envelopes, puts shipping label on by hand), Mix (put 1, or multiples of the same item in a box, label is put on by machine down the line), SmartPac/SmartPacPoly (machine makes envelope, slaps shipping label on at location), their Problem Solve crew (realtime, dwells, SLAM), supply runners, tote runners
AFE departments: The inductors (break apart the totes into individual items to be sorted on the tray sorter), rebinners (takes the sorted items to build packages), packers, giftwrap packers, their Problem Solve crew, supply runners

Shipdock, transship, vendor returns, flats inductor, flats bottom (takes the giant gaylord of envelopes from the flat sorter), pallet runner, shipdock inductor palletizing the boxes, TOM team managing the trailer docks, tote runners collecting the empty totes from the AFE tote stackers, FORKLIFT CERTIFIED OPERATORS.

ICQA/ISS: problem solve teams that include the folks who wear radio harnesses to walk the robot floor and find anything that fell out of the pod units.

ABM: our cleaning crew because those have to be contractors and paid less because corporate thinks janitors are sub-human filth

RME: our maintenance and repair contractors because insurance is a lot cheaper when only a certain subset of people have the keys to open up the machinery.

Honestly, the conveyor belts only carry stuff from Pick to Outbound, and empty totes from both AFEs are brought via lines down to shipdock. The rest of the movement is done by infinitely programmable robots known as "humans".

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Do they actually enforce forklift certficiation at Amazon? Nowhere I've ever worked has :allears:

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Yes. You cannot even turn on a forklift without your badge RFID being approved for that particular type of equipment.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

As a Staples employee

gently caress AMAZON QR CODE RETURNS

NO, WE DO NOT TAKE THEM, STOP BRINGING THEM IN.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kilonum posted:

As a Staples employee

Among my favorite customers at my post office are the people that bring in returns that have a UPS Ground or FedEX Ground label on them and I have to explain that they need to take it to wherever it's supposed to go. People just don't fuckin know anything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When I was a third party merchandiser I remember doing some work at a Best Buy and overhearing a customer trying to return shoes to the place before realizing that maybe they should go the place they bought the shoes at for a refund.

On the opposite end, I remember at the Kmart that I worked at that (surprise!) closed and someone swapped out their shoes for a pair of new shoes. A customer insisted on buying these blatantly dirty shoes that had no price tag on them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

D34THROW posted:

Do they actually enforce forklift certficiation at Amazon? Nowhere I've ever worked has :allears:

Toraen posted:

Yes. You cannot even turn on a forklift without your badge RFID being approved for that particular type of equipment.

Yup, I'm also part of Learning (another department I didn't mention) and Permissions are a huge, huge deal at Amazon that Learning maintains. All the time we're going "Hey, so and so has to do [process] within the next week or they'll learn their permissions for [process] and we'll have to go through the whole re-training rigamarole."

Of course on a more natural note: being FORKLIFT CERTIFIED is of course a good way fired: you gotta go fast but Safety is watching your rear end like a hawk.

Kilonum posted:

As a Staples employee

Look, I will say in many ways Amazon is legit evil but...that one's not on us. That's the loving customers. If Wal-Mart had taken over or if Sears hadn't slammed its penis in the car door out of Libertarian Machismo (seriously they started out a mail-order catalogue: they could have become loving Amazon before Amazon got started) you'd be bitching about their customers being thick as pig poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Kinda funny to think that Sears and Blockbuster dropped the ball so drat early on. I wonder what company is next.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Who else has some amazing stories of failure employees that didn't last long? These are some of my favorites from the store I worked at.

- Conspiracy Theory Guy: Hired on and immediately started talking conspiracies with everyone. Thankfully it wasn't Q poo poo, but the more amusing types of theories like wild JFK theories (Jackie did it!). He did believe all the false-flag bullshit about shootings though, but this was my favorite. He worked with us when the Las Vegas shooting happened, and sure enough the day after he was telling anyone that would listen how it was a false flag operation. I asked him how he knew (because he was fun to rile up) and his answer was "They don't make guns that shoot that fast." He ended up vanishing after he read on Facebook that Trump was going to shut off the entire power grid on such-and-such date to "test" America's emergency response. He ran off to Kentucky or something to be with his family for these impending end times.

- Couldn't make it through training guy: Second day after doing his paperwork he's going through all the computer training. Gets up and walks out, everyone assumes he was going for a smoke or something, never comes back. He comes back a few days later, begs the store manager for another chance and amazingly she goes for it. He picks up where he left off on the computer training...Then gets up and walks out, doesn't come back ever.

- Shoes Kid: He had worked with us maybe a week. One morning he's scheduled for 9am or so, we had just finished unloading truck and were going out on break, I say hi to him as he clocks in and heads for the break room. A couple hours later the store manager asks me if I'd seen him, I said I had that he clocked in and was here at 9. We looked everywhere, he's nowhere to be found. Finally he shows back up a couple more hours later, the store manager corners him and asks where the gently caress he was. His answer "I had to go buy some new shoes." She fired him on the spot.

- Vanishing Guy: Our chain used to do a big 20% off weekend promotion until COVID killed it. Our DM was a hardass about having people out promoting, so pretty much every associate would have to rotate through and walk the street outside with a sign. Nothing crazy, they'd be told just head one direction for fifteen minutes, then come back. They didn't have to dance or do anything dumb, we'd have a nice stash of cold water if it was a hot day or such. Everyone else has done their turn, it's this guy's turn so I give him the sign and tell him what to do. He hems and haws over it, acting like it's the worse thing ever, "It's so hot out!" It was like 80, max that day. I finally convince him, "Dude it's half an hour you can get some fresh air and not have to deal with customers, everyone else has done their turn." So he finally takes the sign and heads out. An hour later we start getting concerned, he hasn't come back. I actually went out and drove the route looking for him, we were starting to get legit worried he had walked into the road and gotten hit or something. Then someone finds the sign leaning against the side of the building and his car missing. Dude just bailed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
the manager who stole some ferrets we had in our wellness room being treated for something

I wish the loving manager who introduced herself as "they called me the store mom at my last store" would loving leave already. We get so many customer complaints about her and she's single hadnedly ruined the comradery and teamwork this store has had in the decade I've worked here with her micromanaging.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Enos Shenk posted:

- Vanishing Guy: Our chain used to do a big 20% off weekend promotion until COVID killed it. Our DM was a hardass about having people out promoting, so pretty much every associate would have to rotate through and walk the street outside with a sign. Nothing crazy, they'd be told just head one direction for fifteen minutes, then come back. They didn't have to dance or do anything dumb, we'd have a nice stash of cold water if it was a hot day or such. Everyone else has done their turn, it's this guy's turn so I give him the sign and tell him what to do. He hems and haws over it, acting like it's the worse thing ever, "It's so hot out!" It was like 80, max that day. I finally convince him, "Dude it's half an hour you can get some fresh air and not have to deal with customers, everyone else has done their turn." So he finally takes the sign and heads out. An hour later we start getting concerned, he hasn't come back. I actually went out and drove the route looking for him, we were starting to get legit worried he had walked into the road and gotten hit or something. Then someone finds the sign leaning against the side of the building and his car missing. Dude just bailed.

Nothing much to do with your story, I am curious from an advertising / revenue generation standpoint -- do you think the presence of the sign and people holding it, legitimately increased the number of paying customers coming into the store?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Soonmot posted:

the manager who stole some ferrets we had in our wellness room being treated for something

I wish the loving manager who introduced herself as "they called me the store mom at my last store" would loving leave already. We get so many customer complaints about her and she's single hadnedly ruined the comradery and teamwork this store has had in the decade I've worked here with her micromanaging.

Anyone who declares themselves the $location mom is the worst kind of insufferable, for all values of $location.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Enos Shenk posted:

Who else has some amazing stories of failure employees that didn't last long? These are some of my favorites from the store I worked at.

- Conspiracy Theory Guy: Hired on and immediately started talking conspiracies with everyone. Thankfully it wasn't Q poo poo, but the more amusing types of theories like wild JFK theories (Jackie did it!). He did believe all the false-flag bullshit about shootings though, but this was my favorite. He worked with us when the Las Vegas shooting happened, and sure enough the day after he was telling anyone that would listen how it was a false flag operation. I asked him how he knew (because he was fun to rile up) and his answer was "They don't make guns that shoot that fast." He ended up vanishing after he read on Facebook that Trump was going to shut off the entire power grid on such-and-such date to "test" America's emergency response. He ran off to Kentucky or something to be with his family for these impending end times.

I love talking with conspiracy theory guys thb, mostly because it always always ends up with me ranting about workers being disposable and how rich people are scum.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

this guy had the right idea tbh

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Enos Shenk posted:

Who else has some amazing stories of failure employees that didn't last long?

Had a high school age kid start working weekends at my warehouse. His third week (fifth actual day of working) they give him a trailer full of appliances to unload. He's about five foot six and maaaaybe 110 pounds, but he's done appliances before on his other shifts and has been told to ask for help if he needs it. He's working slow as poo poo but still working until he gets to a fridge. I notice him getting to it as I go for lunch. I get back from lunch and he's standing in the same spot, staring at the same fridge. I mention it to the supervisor, he goes over to ask the kid what's up, kid says his mom called and wants him to come home, never came back. From what I was told later the kid literally just stood there and stared at the fridge until the supervisor went over (super checked the cameras).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We had one dude who just stopped showing up and it turned out he was in jail for stealing a tv at Walmart. He tried to return the tv he had stolen and when the customer service person refused to give him cash this guy got super aggressive and made some threats so they called the cops. Dude could have just sold it on CL or something but no, he had to go be an rear end in a top hat to retail employees and got locked up for it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Enos Shenk posted:

Most of our failure stories are pretty basic, generally people who get hired and then manage to get fired for being shitfaced at work within two weeks.

I think the most impressive fuckup, though... was the guy who just promised customers everything, even if it was impossible, without checking with anyone else who was more experienced first, then was genuinely surprised when what he'd promised them was outright impossible. Just the biggest look of complete and utter surprise I've ever seen on someone's face.

After like a month of this, he got himself fired... but we soon learned that he'd made sure to note down the phone numbers of multiple female customers before leaving the workplace and was calling them up privately.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

we had a lady who would take hour long breaks to drink at a nearby bar. she was like the female version of the kind of guy who tells 12 year olds at the park that they need to know how to eat pussy. she got fired eventually, but I seriously doubt she gave a poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We had a dude get fired 'cause he was dropping a poo poo ton of $20 bills on the floor at the register and then putting his foot over them "so no one else would get them confused." In full view of the cameras.

(Side note: all three of our stock team guys have Covid. And our ehhhh store manager came back today from his double knee surgery.)