Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TheBacon posted:

Plot twist I was way overloaded and fully bottomed out, shop actually called me following up on how things felt and I mentioned it. Even unloading most of the heaviest stuff still a bunch of contact on drivers side rear. Drove to shop hearing the scrapes the whole way from that corner and when I got there there was almost a baseball size chunk of rubber from the sidewall. He had said drive it over loaded to just see. Maxed out the height on that side which did at least bring level with the other side but still scrapping, though much much less than the constant, but still enough it’s probably not a good idea. Unloaded everything at home and it’s fine driving around now besides loading up that corner semi aggressively going through a corner which I mostly expect.

Anyway this all means I am not leaving at 0500 for seattle and instead calling uhaul at 0700 when they open to see about a one way rental hopefully with full off the ground trailer to trailer the car up. Fun times

I’d add a pic but imgbb seems to be unhappy and the mobile built in img thing never works for me. But lmao comedy of fuckups by me!

Shout out to Performance Dynamics in Mountain View though, anyone in the Bay should absolutely give them business, Greg is a real stand up guy.

e: Also lmao almost forgot I cracked my windshield when I was replacing my wipers earlier by absentmindedly letting go of the arm maybe 4-6” off the glass on the passenger side and the force of the arm snapping back without a blade on it hosed poo poo up. Killing the game, universe probably trying to tell me something
Goonspeed my friend. You're taking this all pretty well, I would be so pissed at myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

TheBacon posted:

I’d add a pic but imgbb seems to be unhappy and the mobile built in img thing never works for me.

Before adjustment:

After adjustment:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Obviously you just need some negative camber and flares.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Please no flares, just roll the fender lip.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yes no problem

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ended up with a uhaul and trailer and towed it. Took about 16 hours and well was something alright

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Ended up with a uhaul and trailer and towed it. Took about 16 hours and well was something alright

Congrats on arriving alive!

I'm not really sure a uhaul with a trailer in snow is all that much better than a RWD BMW on summers in snow.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
I've got an E82 125i that has recently been showing a bit of a christmas tree of ABS, DTC and a yellow ! warning. I think it's probably just a wheel speed sensor, but I'm fairly incompetent and it's hot and gross outside and I want to avoid climbing around underneath a car for longer than I have to, so I'm trying to confirm. I ordered an OBDLink CX adapter and through the OBDlink app it's just showing a generic P0503 error which doesn't narrow it down much from what I can see. Will the paid version of Bimmerlink show specific error codes, or is there a free app that will? I also tried Carly but I can't get it to connect to the adapter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if the MHD app works with whatever engine the 125 has, but that has free code reading. In any case, that sounds exactly like a wheel speed sensor issue. Just replace all four, or you will be back again a few months later to replace another one, and then another one.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if the MHD app works with whatever engine the 125 has, but that has free code reading. In any case, that sounds exactly like a wheel speed sensor issue. Just replace all four, or you will be back again a few months later to replace another one, and then another one.

It's an N52, which is a no go for MHD apparently. Thanks for the confirmation though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
As far as I recall, Carly did some voodoo to require their adapter specifically. It was the preferred app for the N52 though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you can find someone with the USB cable whatever it's called, that works with Carly now.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

Thanks for the advice, I might just order a cable adapter. Does it matter if it's a generic one if I'm using it with Carly? Something like this? https://www.amazon.com.au/Diagnosti...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Also I went to jack up the car and have a look and my locknut key is missing, so that's fun! Guess I'll find out which one I need and order one of those as well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Alarbus posted:

I'm not really sure a uhaul with a trailer in snow is all that much better than a RWD BMW on summers in snow.

I mean, if the U-Haul's on winters, I'll take that option Everytime.

Also, Seconding the congratulations!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Thanks for the advice, I might just order a cable adapter. Does it matter if it's a generic one if I'm using it with Carly? Something like this? https://www.amazon.com.au/Diagnosti...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Also I went to jack up the car and have a look and my locknut key is missing, so that's fun! Guess I'll find out which one I need and order one of those as well.

I have no idea if that will work. I know that the K+DCAN cable people sell works with Carly. Something like this. Not endorsing that specific one, it was just the first result on Amazon, but one of those with decent reviews should work. You'll need that as well as an adapter that goes from USB-A to whatever USB port your phone has.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd be very surprised if uhaul bothers to switch out to winters. In this America???

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Russian Bear posted:

I'd be very surprised if uhaul bothers to switch out to winters. In this America???

Good point, but I assume all-seasons on the entire fleet then? To avoid claims or something probably?

/edit:
Despite my tire background, I basically have no clue when it comes to commercial vehicles like trucks and above, so maybe not, idk :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Goonspeed my friend. You're taking this all pretty well, I would be so pissed at myself

Oh I am extremely pissed and defeatist at myself, especially cracking my windshield from a 4-6” drop of the arm which will be $2k+. But I don’t know any other way to proceed besides self deprecation and posting fir other laughs. Which also lmao on this note, is there a preferred dealer in the area or one to avoid? I left Strictly BMW a message thanks to whoever recommended them but not sure they will want to do windshield.

KillHour posted:

Obviously you just need some negative camber and flares.

BlackMK4 posted:

Please no flares, just roll the fender lip.

So yeah my mechanic and I were talking about rolling the rear as he was trying to adjust the kws with the car loaded up at his shop at 8pm or whatever it was. I am going to look for someone in the seattle area to do that for now, but also definitely will be running more narrow all seasons on the second set of wheels for ‘winter’ (which I also got lucky in the extremely rare time there is snow still on the ground for days in the PNW).

I am actually looking at flaring the fenders, since I want to do s65 and that conversion. I also need a new rear bumper since the PO had the current one get best to poo poo, so obviously it makes sense instead of just sourcing a standard msport or whatever, spend the $8k or whatever to graft on the e90 rear flares and get an m3 rear bumper. (Actually thinking about this like semi seriously in the sense of if I really do want to do that, why ‘waste’ the money not working toward that, also only doing the rear means I wouldn’t have the front fender m3 side badges so not poser looking)

Alarbus posted:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Thanks!

The uhaul definitely did not have winters as evidenced by spinning all the way up the hill 100 yards from my destination the final mile and my sphincter getting very tight. I am not even going to attempt unloading the car until the snow melts, also need to find a hill or a dip for it as I did manage to beach the car sort of on the first loading attempt and hosed up part of the undertray at minimum

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have now managed to offload the car from the trailer with the help of a bit of a hill and a speed bump so that's nice. Now to schedule the glass repair and whatnot :/

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
BMW showed a prototype with E-Ink panels that can change colour at CES:

https://i.imgur.com/HwwVea9.mp4

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay but do pink and teal instead.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

eink is monochromatic generally.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

eink is monochromatic generally.

Yeah but they don't have to be - it's just paint. You could pick any two colors if you could afford it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KillHour posted:

Okay but do pink and teal instead.

:sickos:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

Yeah but they don't have to be - it's just paint. You could pick any two colors if you could afford it.

That'd be pretty cool.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The estimate on your parking lot ding is $23,800.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

implying this is different from status quo

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Inflation is rough.

You know I didn't think BMW could out-expensive and over complicate their "Frozen" paint lineup, but here we are.

I miss driving my BMW. Extra annoying is that for the past 6+ months Costco has not been able to gret any 265/35/19 PS4S tires. They finally got fronts in (245/35/19). I am wondering if I can get away with 255/275 setup. I am not running any spacers and I feel like people have done it before. I know the load ratings change though (they go heavier). I wonder if the ride quality would suck.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Just tape a Kindle over it

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Inflation is rough.

You know I didn't think BMW could out-expensive and over complicate their "Frozen" paint lineup, but here we are.

I miss driving my BMW. Extra annoying is that for the past 6+ months Costco has not been able to gret any 265/35/19 PS4S tires. They finally got fronts in (245/35/19). I am wondering if I can get away with 255/275 setup. I am not running any spacers and I feel like people have done it before. I know the load ratings change though (they go heavier). I wonder if the ride quality would suck.

I got 275/30/19 all the way around this last tire install. No rubbing, no noticeable speedo mismatch. I can't tell a difference in ride quality between these and the completely knackered but regulation size PilotSport 2's that had to be replaced, I typically use the fullest comfort shocks setting but I haven't noticed anything jarring when in the full sport mode either.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.facebook.com/100002304241248/posts/4723972414356187/?d=n

???

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't hate it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I have a barely used (maybe 500km on it) AWE Track Exhaust - Chrome tip from a G20 M340i for sale - shipping is going to be killer outside my area, but is there any interest in this from Ontario Canada goons?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

It's funny, my E82 is in the shop again because the OFHG won't stop leaking and I've got a 2021 X1 as a loaner and the biggest thing I've noticed is how puny the front doors are compared to my car. It's like driving a Corolla or something, they're super tall and short
The second thing that stood out to me was the ridiculous numb steering, it feels like a video game except with less haptic feedback.

The third thing that stood out to me was the mood lighting that turns on when the headlights do, all the front trim has RGB strips like a loving razer keyboard or something, it's ridiculous. If I actually owned one of these things I would turn it off after like 10 minutes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really like the :pcgaming: lights I just wish there were more color options.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

I really like the :pcgaming: lights I just wish there were more color options.

I didn't have cold cathode tubes in my PC when I was in high school, I don't need the same poo poo in my car 20 years later. It seems completely superfluous and unnecessary

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like fun pointless things they make me happy.

I absolutely had cold cathods in my computer in highschool

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I absolutely love the lighting in mine and it's not a new thing. They've been doing it for 20+ years and it's great that as a passenger you can find something without having to turn on the dome light and actually blind the driver. Does the E82 not have it?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I turned the white mood lighting back to red within like 3 hours of taking delivery of my car

I think it was called “classic” in the idrive menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K918
Jan 6, 2022

Good. And you?

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I turned the white mood lighting back to red within like 3 hours of taking delivery of my car

I think it was called “classic” in the idrive menu

Ive Always been a huge fan of the Amber glow that is so distinctly BMW.

I also own an E30, I guess some things never change.