Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Nobody should like Michio Kaku IMO, he's a fabulist who makes up nonsense to peddle to people who are curious about physics. I've only ever read or heard from his schtick stuff that is either a) delivered better, more succinctly, more correct, and in a less self-aggrandizing way than Kaku by other science communicators (somehow even NGT is less self-aggrandizing than Kaku) or b) made up sci-fi bullshit that inspires woo.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on you or anything, I just really have a strong dislike for that guy. I mean I bet he's a nice person and all but his public persona, ugh.

He does have nice hair, tho.

kntfkr posted:

oh really? lol

They literally have a category of monster thing that's "object that gained sentience" complete with some spiritual ceremonies to cleanse objects that are upset over being broken or thrown out. Also the whole "turn everything into a mascot/cute girl" thing.

Like it's not a super common belief anymore but it's definitely a big part of the cultural landscape. So Kondo's communicating with the spirits of stuff would be less "what the heck?" and more on the level of like someone praying to the saints over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Puppy Time posted:

That’s the silver lining.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Do you have a lot of people dining masked over there? I admire the dedication to fighting the virus but...

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Puppy Time posted:

They literally have a category of monster thing that's "object that gained sentience" complete with some spiritual ceremonies to cleanse objects that are upset over being broken or thrown out. Also the whole "turn everything into a mascot/cute girl" thing.

Like it's not a super common belief anymore but it's definitely a big part of the cultural landscape. So Kondo's communicating with the spirits of stuff would be less "what the heck?" and more on the level of like someone praying to the saints over here.

Nah, I was kidding. I knew those things. Shintoism is the only reason I know the word animism. I lived in Akita for a couple years. Our mascot was a cute cedar tree.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

is he really bad though? i'm not a fan or anything, but i did enjoy his appearances in the limited science related shows/documentaries i've seen from him.

MK and Brian Greene are both part of that String Theory/woo nonsense that has permeated science discourse for the last thirty years without having anything to show for it experimentally. In fact the absence of physics beyond the SM from the LHC data threatens some of the foundational work ST relies on, but you'd never hear them admit it. I have no way of verifying this but I'm pretty sure the disproportionate coverage they've gotten for it has hampered work in potentially competing theories.

It'd be cool if they pushed some other ideas.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Brian Greene loves using Simpsons analogies to explain physics, and none of them ever seem to track. So, at least he's consistent?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This douchebag whose loving most well known and clearly established position is that strict hierarchy is a fundamental law of nature that should not be violated calls anyone else in the entire loving planet authoritarian?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ikanreed posted:

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This douchebag whose loving most well known and clearly established position is that strict hierarchy is a fundamental law of nature that should not be violated calls anyone else in the entire loving planet authoritarian?

authoritarianism is when anyone but me is in charge

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only good living science communicator is David Suzuki.

James Burke is still alive :mad:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

wasn’t aware of this and am happy to hear it! Connections taught me a hell of a lot, not just about specific inventions but the process of how people share and use their knowledge to solve a problem or achieve a goal.

I recommend at least the first series to everyone itt, immensely dated though it be; not just because he’s so good at explaining technology and its history, but because as far as I know James Burke has never cried on camera about how Disney films undermine Western Civilization (tm) (c), or insinuated that a woman wearing lipstick is inviting some kind of sexual interference or harassment

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SatansOnion posted:

wasn’t aware of this and am happy to hear it! Connections taught me a hell of a lot, not just about specific inventions but the process of how people share and use their knowledge to solve a problem or achieve a goal.

I recommend at least the first series to everyone itt, immensely dated though it be; not just because he’s so good at explaining technology and its history, but because as far as I know James Burke has never cried on camera about how Disney films undermine Western Civilization (tm) (c), or insinuated that a woman wearing lipstick is inviting some kind of sexual interference or harassment

Apparently he's only 85, which is shocking because I thought he had to be in his 90s by now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mr Interweb posted:

is he really bad though? i'm not a fan or anything, but i did enjoy his appearances in the limited science related shows/documentaries i've seen from him.

He's a shithead but not an rear end in a top hat.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

(in James Burke voice): "What if I were to tell you something as simple as the invention of the golf ball led to the discovery of farts and that farts led us to the moon. You'd think I'm nuts, wouldn't you? But it's all true!"

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
AOC should take a page out of MTG’s book and always be masked when out of the public eye.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Xenos_RIFS/status/1477682111553228802

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Puppy Time posted:

meanwhile, in sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdIJOE9jNcM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Interweb posted:

michio kaku is goofy but not bad imo

i do think it's funny that he used to be relegated to the odd Coast to Coast AM appearance and now he's huge. the internet was made for that man.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Who the heck is NGT?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

yikes! posted:

Who the heck is NGT?

Neil deGrasse Tyson I assume

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Non gungible token

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

yikes! posted:

Who the heck is NGT?

Nonce deGrasse Tyson

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

kntfkr posted:

Non gungible token

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
handed a guys wallet he left on the seat today and am 90% the leather marking was of Jorps head.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1477538822061580288

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Makes sense why he'd be upset about this.

If it worked, he'd lose his entire audience.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh kept meaning to ask

i heard that with psychology and psychiatry, one is supposed to be an actual useful, practical field that relies on medical and scientific evidence, while the other is supposed to be more of a pseudoscience. which one is which? since jorp is a psychologist, i was going to assume that's the more pseudoscience-y one, but i'm not entire sure.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr Interweb posted:

oh kept meaning to ask

i heard that with psychology and psychiatry, one is supposed to be an actual useful, practical field that relies on medical and scientific evidence, while the other is supposed to be more of a pseudoscience. which one is which? since jorp is a psychologist, i was going to assume that's the more pseudoscience-y one, but i'm not entire sure.

Neither of them are pseudoscience, both fields are full of massive cranks and morons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A psychiatrist is an MD who does what a therapist does and also prescribes medication. A psychologist can be a therapist or a scholar who produces research, but they don’t prescribe medication. Training in both fields is rigorous, but just like with anything, the difficulty of getting an MD or Ph.D. doesn’t prevent cranks from going to the trouble, or stop people from becoming cranks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

A psychiatrist is an MD who does what a therapist does and also prescribes medication. A psychologist can be a therapist or a scholar who produces research, but they don’t prescribe medication. Training in both fields is rigorous, but just like with anything, the difficulty of getting an MD or Ph.D. doesn’t prevent cranks from going to the trouble, or stop people from becoming cranks.

wait, psychologists can't prescribe medicine? cause i thought jorp said he did that all the time?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ph.D.s can’t give you pills. He had someone getting him those benzo scrips.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

no i'm not talking about him and his benzos. i know that was prescribed to him by someone else. i'm saying he was prescribing meds to his patients

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sometimes a therapist coordinates on a plan of treatment with a psychiatrist when a person needs both, but a Ph.D. can’t prescribe medication, at least not in Canada or the US.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
^^^you lobster

Mr Interweb posted:

no i'm not talking about him and his benzos. i know that was prescribed to him by someone else. i'm saying he was prescribing meds to his patients

I've seen (and had) a psychologist who basically had an agreement with a psychiatrist so they would "suggest" a med and then it would be given. Not sure if it's something like that or he's just a lying liar.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Beartaco posted:

Do you have a lot of people dining masked over there? I admire the dedication to fighting the virus but...

You're supposed to dump all the food into a mask (while still wearing your regular mask), and then put on a giant outer mask to mask your face while you change from your breathing mask to your feeding mask. Then you put the changine mask and the breathing mask away and go to town on that food.*

*This standard only applies to people we don't like, we do not follow it ourselves.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Even M.D.s can't prescribe pills for themselves.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm going to relay what my most recent psychiatrist told me: there is too much demand for mental health services for a psychiatrist to be both the primary therapist and the primary medication provider at the same time. Both are full time positions for a health care provider and most people don't have time to do both. So now the work is divided between medication providers and therapy providers.

This is by no means a universal view, it's just what one of my providers explained to me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I see both and I usually see my psychologist for 45-60 minutes and my psychiatrist for 5 minutes.

Well I now have an additional therapist too that I see for 45-60 minutes as well.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

IDK, Jorp, I think that's fairly welcoming of 2022.

He's like a loving five-year-old. urrrrrrr someone else got something I already had but I'm mad because I didn't get the thing I already had urrrrrrrrrrrr

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Long long time ago someone introduced me to the platinum rule.

We all know the golden rule, "Treat others how you want to be treated." But the problem is that not everyone is you.
The platinum rule is, "Treat others how they want to be treated."

Treating people "equally" is bad, everyone is different with unique needs and wants, so it only makes sense to treat people differently based on that.

The golden rule is narcissistic, much like JORP, and it turns out if you are severely disgusted with yourself and treat yourself like garbage, you can then justify treating others the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I like the platinum rule; that's pretty good.

I'll add a diamond-encrusted addendum to it; treat Jorp like poo poo because he is.

Also, how does that OP of that tweet misunderstand the point so much? Treating everyone equally was called "inadequate", meaning not sufficient, meaning "more is required". Meanwhile, OP claims that not to treat others equally is racist. But.... The loving ad says 'do more!'

:psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 4, 2022