Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
people always talking about that vegan eating poo poo here made me think it was sincere

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Had to say goodbye to my parents 20 year old cat the other day. We got her from a seafood restaurant that has long since been torn down and replaced by a big apartment building. She was a strong but happy animal who liked being around people, all varieties of foods, and chasing around the occasional lizard or bug. Hated the sound of garbage trucks and always wanted to see where they were for her own safety, we think she might have lost some family members to one since she grew up near a dumpster. I imagine some of her longevity was partly from her begging days diet of bits of fish and fries from there. I will miss visiting with her and sharing meals.

Living in florida i used to have fish three or four times a week until a few years back that had to stop because it started making me feel dizzy for a couple days after eating it. Probably accumulated metals or other kinds of pollution, idk. There are only a few decent restaurants left that have good fried fish or shrimp anyways and who knows where their suppliers get it from. When i was a kid there would be groups of shrimp boats out in the bay with their nets hanging wide off the sides like wings, haven't seen one of those in ages. Last I heard of them the few remaining ones were being used to pick up dead sealife from the big red tide bloom in July. Weird to think about how the places i grew up and the foods that our bodies were built on have changed and disappeared.

Also lost my friendly window lizard a couple months back. I was gone in the afternoons more and he lost interest in the window, moved up higher in the trees and roof area exploring more (they are somewhat territorial and keep in a 1 or 2 meter range usually.) Last time i saw him he was looking down on me from on the roof and watching the garden. Then a few days later i saw a crow out of the garage window eating something and got a quick picture before flying away. Felt pretty bad not having him greet me from his branch out there any more but it's good that his energy went to another animal. Lately some younger ones that are probably his offspring will peek in for a moment to watch me doing kitchen stuff and then scurry off.

Lots of loss last year, two older neighbors to the virus, some animal friends, the mass death in the water from red tide. Seems progress changes things only for the worse. At least i have memories to keep and there are still some living things out there to hang out and share time with. Thankful there are still birds in the parks nearby and waterways that manage to have little schools of fish to watch swim as the tides rise.

I'm pouring one out for your cat and lizard friends.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it was a counting crows rip off but thanks for playing!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/DigiEconomist/status/1477420462531661828
https://twitter.com/DigiEconomist/status/1477420465148809217

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Incredible lmao

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://twitter.com/averytomascowx/status/1477387493695791104?t=8NeT592ecKr6rJ8JzDVRFw&s=19

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Just going to end all my future posts with 'ceterum censeo bitcoin esse delendam'.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

500 good dogs posted:

people always talking about that vegan eating poo poo here made me think it was sincere

the comet is going to hit the earth

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Stereotype posted:

and I'm gonna do my part to make sure no more cows are alive to suffer the impact. they'll all be in my stomach

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Stereotype posted:

buddy, the comet already hit us and we're watching the cloud of fire and debris sweep over us in slow motion

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

finished Don't Look Up

Unbelievably, staggeringly hamfisted but it's the type of topic that you absolutely must be hamfisted about. I didn't mind it but no wonder all the stenographers got all heated about it and began moaning

I was able to maintain sardonic chuckles up through 75% of the movie but when they start going off about the hashtags and the Ariana Grande concert and blah blah I just couldn't take it anymore, just way too loving real and utterly useless just incredibly stupid culture war poo poo

The Blumpf analogue was silly and distracting but Blumpf Jr was funny and the Musk/Jobs/Zuck amalgam is spot on.

God, no one's going to do anything, are they?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

finished Don't Look Up

Unbelievably, staggeringly hamfisted but it's the type of topic that you absolutely must be hamfisted about. I didn't mind it but no wonder all the stenographers got all heated about it and began moaning

I was able to maintain sardonic chuckles up through 75% of the movie but when they start going off about the hashtags and the Ariana Grande concert and blah blah I just couldn't take it anymore, just way too loving real and utterly useless just incredibly stupid culture war poo poo

The Blumpf analogue was silly and distracting but Blumpf Jr was funny and the Musk/Jobs/Zuck amalgam is spot on.

the only impact the movie will have on the world is that the movie will be used as a source for memes as the planet burns

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

500 good dogs posted:

the only impact the movie will have on the world is that the movie will be used as a source for memes as the planet burns

I never expected the movie to have any actual impact but the hashtag war through to the ending is exactly what we're going to do//doing about the climate collapse and having that mirror held up only confirms my grim view of this doomed, decadent world

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

i mean you've been cspamming long enough to know the answer to that

to me the dinner scene was the best part

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I never expected the movie to have any actual impact but the hashtag war through to the ending is exactly what we're going to do//doing about the climate collapse and having that mirror held up only confirms my grim view of this doomed, decadent world

with this movie we all now have a shared vocabulary of hashtags to use. otherwise we'd be doomed to come up with them on the fly. before the metaphorical comet strikes our planet, I imagine david sirota will lay quietly in bed, smile to himself, and tweet one final time: #justlookup

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

SKULL.GIF posted:

they're going to make art about it, to help themselves and others process the emotions they feel

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah they captured that part perfectly, how Awareness becomes its own end and everyone puts their hands up to charge a memetic spirit bomb that never comes. It felt like a cut from an Adam Curtis film

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don’t think we’ll hit 1.5/2C but the proposal that it won’t be solved isn’t true either. We’ve decoupled emissions from economic growth. It is possible, see Europe.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Colin Mockery posted:

they're going to make art about it, to help themselves and others process the emotions they feel

and then they are gonna sell that art as NFTs

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Slavvy posted:

I don’t think we’ll hit 1.5/2C but the proposal that it won’t be solved isn’t true either. We’ve decoupled emissions from economic growth. It is possible, see Europe.

Oh, sweetie

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
decouple from deez nuts

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Slavvy posted:

It does yet both developing Countries have electricity, transportation, etc. but one emits way more than the other. Why do you thinks thats the case? Or is there something stopping these Countries from decarbonizing their economies?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Saying we're all going to die is optimism. It's a hopeful thought that the most destructive species in the history of the planet might kill itself in the process of killing millions of other species. But humans are too vicious and stubborn to get completely wiped out, and there'll be a few communities left eating whatever weeds and vermin can survive +8° C. Actions now can make a difference in whether a billion people survive, or only a few thousand.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chamale posted:

Saying we're all going to die is optimism. It's a hopeful thought that the most destructive species in the history of the planet might kill itself in the process of killing millions of other species. But humans are too vicious and stubborn to get completely wiped out, and there'll be a few communities left eating whatever weeds and vermin can survive +8° C. Actions now can make a difference in whether a billion people survive, or only a few thousand.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Chamale posted:

We are not extinction proof. We are as vulnerable to extinction as every other large mammal. Probably more vulnerable than average because of the ludicrous amount of energy we need to keep our big stupid brains running. We survived past events that impacted our environmental niche by packing up and moving. There is nowhere to move to anymore. We have never invented our way out of catastrophe despite that being the common wisdom.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

We have never invented our way out of catastrophe despite that being the common wisdom.

I believe you but I wanna see/hear more words about this part in particular

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
life is suffering so watch solipsic immortality be the reality, each of us stuck forever burning and freezing and getting blown around by category 420 winds alone in our own universe until the end of time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we haven’t gone extinct yet and therefore we never will

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
human species: too big to fail

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stereotype posted:

we haven’t gone extinct yet and therefore we never will

well if we do we won't be around to get upset by it will we

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
only loser species go extinct. some specific fragile moth that can only live on one slowly growing tree found only in one region of the rainforest? tiny loser. some dumbass giant rat with money horns growing out of its face? big loser. dinosaurs? whole kingdom of losers. humans are winners. every important award in the history of the planet has been won by a human. we’ll be fine. I’m not worried about it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

to me the dinner scene was the best part

The most poignant shot in the whole 2 hour 20 minutes film was Mindy turning off the TV during the dinner because it was useless being told what's coming next

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

McKay, who wrote the screenplay based on a story idea by journalist David Sirota, just doesn’t care enough about popular culture or social media to effectively skewer it. Not that the film compellingly digs into the things it allegedly is invested in. Don’t Look Up wants to paint our inaction with regard to climate change as the result of denialism and being distracted by silly things like, say, a movie streaming on Netflix. But climate change isn’t a comet headed our way in less than a year — a lousy, faulty metaphor for where we’re at right now. Climate change is a slow-motion disaster that’s been brought on by generations of industrialized existence, and to contend with it requires us to think about ourselves collectively as a species and act on behalf of lives beyond the scopes of our own, in terms of the future and in terms of the whole planet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

500 good dogs posted:

human species: too big, too fail

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SKULL.GIF posted:

McKay, who wrote the screenplay based on a story idea by journalist David Sirota, just doesn’t care enough about popular culture or social media to effectively skewer it. Not that the film compellingly digs into the things it allegedly is invested in. Don’t Look Up wants to paint our inaction with regard to climate change as the result of denialism and being distracted by silly things like, say, a movie streaming on Netflix. But climate change isn’t a comet headed our way in less than a year — a lousy, faulty metaphor for where we’re at right now. Climate change is a slow-motion disaster that’s been brought on by generations of industrialized existence, and to contend with it requires us to think about ourselves collectively as a species and act on behalf of lives beyond the scopes of our own, in terms of the future and in terms of the whole planet.

*lovely German accent* The solution is simple in concept but complex in execution, much like we killed god we must also kill nature. The concept of nature being an externality to the human condition rather than integrated into the whole of the human condition is the problem. If we are fully integrated we do not go out to the woods to get away we stop seeing these things a a seperate ecosystems and understand that development and pollution are an affront to us all. We begin to weigh progress with sacrifice rather than blindly stumbling ahead to the benefit of a few but the detriment of many.

Please like comment and subscribe don't forget to ring that notification bell and sign up to my Patreon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SKULL.GIF posted:

to contend with it requires us to think about ourselves collectively as a species and act on behalf of lives beyond the scopes of our own, in terms of the future and in terms of the whole planet.

This is demonstrably beyond our capability as a species. We lack collective free will. On a mass scale, we are a cancer and no grand plan is within our reach

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Protagonist posted:

...no grand plan is within our reach

Every so often we bring the McRibTM back. :toot:

I just find it depressing that we're going to learn so much new poo poo just in time for it to not mean a loving thing. The JWST (provided everything works perfectly) will show us in detail 100x better than the Hubble the majesty of places in the cosmos we'll never travel to. mRNA vaccine technology might just make the biggest dent in infectious diseases and even *cancer* since someone thought "huh, lets try giving *people* cowpox."

The ultra-wealthy definitely have a grand plan: "Suck, gently caress, rape, and pillage as much of this spinning rock as we can before the party ends for everyone."

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 08:29 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Watched it today. This is right. The movie is as overindulgent as you’d expect. Leo is the only person in it who will take any lessons from it, and that’s to keep quiet and live his best life with women that keep staying the same age.