Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The most important part about that level in Cruelty Squad is that you need to find good ingress and egress paths the first time around. Future runs are easier by virtue of having better augs. Also, the Stealth Suit is a godsend for this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

John Lee posted:

I don't use a password manager, although I have been considering it. I don't have anything digital that I need kept safe; no positions of responsibility, no important financial holdings, etc., so I've been lax about making that change. I DO reuse passwords, but on a tiered system; I have a couple commonly-used passwords for low-priority accounts (like an Alienware account I made for getting free poo poo from giveaways), then a password for streaming services, and unique passwords for anything that can take money - Steam, Amazon, etc. Plus, of course, my email password, which I change regularly since it's the linchpin.

As for losing or breaking phones - It's only been recently that I've HAD a phone that cost several hundred dollars, the rest were all Obamaphones, i.e. incredibly cheap phones with service that barely worked, limited minutes per month, and couldn't access the internet. They also had a habit of, you know, breaking. Only... what, four years ago? Did I actually get a real smartphone, and I've neither broken nor lost it, although I did find to my displeasure that important apps were losing compatibility with the final version of Android available on it and I had to buy a new phone last year. So, before the smartphone, I didn't have any methods of finding phones, or the ability to download apps, so authenticator requirements ranged from annoying to impossible to fulfill.

One account I lost was my Google account! I tried many times in many ways, contacted Customer Service, but the only response I got was "You need to give us a code sent to your phone," and "That phone broke and they had to send me a new one, which naturally has a different number" didn't hold water. I know big-name phone services allow you to easily keep your number and data when swapping to a new smartphone, but Big Bob's Discount Phonez4U doesn't, or didn't anyway, and those are the kinds of services covered by the plan I had access to.

I... actually don't remember what the other account was at this moment, and I have to go make a trip to the store, but I appreciate the level-headed response!

No problem! I actually owe an apology (or at least an admission of being wrong) for assuming that everyone was just like me and would be able and willing to drop half a month's rent on the latest and greatest model of phone. I took for granted that good security practices were practical and possible for everyone equally.

You reminded me that I did actually almost lose my Google account when I went on a formatting spree and reinstalled the OSes on my primary PC and phone at the same time. Luckily I was still logged in on an old laptop and was able to turn off 2FA so I could use just my password to get in. I didn't realize that I would have been SOL if not for that, I was just expecting to have to deal with support. It sucks that you weren't that lucky.

At the risk of being repetitive, I would again encourage you (the general you and not just you personally) to use a password manager and have unique passwords for each site. You're putting a lot of faith in companies that own the websites that you use to keep your information safe and they absolutely will not. PII does not take up much space and storage is cheap, so consider that while you may not think you're important enough to bother with now, assume that any information in an account breached now will still be around in a decade, and who knows what will be possible to do with it or what you'll be doing then.

Sorry to be preachy but I think security and privacy are super important at a time when people are making billions of dollars collecting and selling information about you. No one is watching out for your interest in this scheme so you have to be able to do it yourself.

Anyway, back to video games.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pentyne posted:

Sword and Fairy 7

Chinese arpg that gets compared to Guijan 3, one of the most surprisingly great games I've played of the last few years.

The english translation was god awful when it first came out. Like, way worse than Gujian 3's. Obviously not a problem if you understand mandarin though. Not sure if they ever improved it. I liked the combat more in this one than Gujian, but I don't think the story was quite as good. The graphics and soundtrack are top tier though

The Sword and Fairy/Chinese Paladin series shares a history with the Gujian games, the devs split off into separate companies way back when to make their own respective games which is kind of why they are so similar

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Just finished Cosmic Star Heroine after having it advertised to me in a hilarious 4th wall breaking moment while playing Cthulhu Saves Christmas. And fair play to the devs, I didn't know the game existed, that made me look it up, and considering the current price, I thought I'd pick it up.

It ended up being a pretty solid 16-bit style jrpg with a lot of quality of life (no grind, no random battles while walking around, party composition can be changed any time while not in combat...) and the same interesting combat system they later reused in Cthulhu Saves Christmas, but where in the Cthulhu game it didn't really matter, here you do want to learn abilities timing (abilities can only be used once until you waste a turn resting to reset them) and maximise the synergy between the short term buffs for some pretty massive bursts. It also happens to be sci-fi which is surprisingly rare, and takes you through 3 planets, various dungeons/buildings/caves (a good few of them being sidequests or purely optional locations), and your own spaceship.

I finished it with 24h clocked on Steam, but some of that was just the game paused while doing something else. It's likely something like 20h overall, which is pretty reasonable.

Highly recommended to anyone into the genre.
Yeah cosmic star is good, i'm interested in seeing what they put out next.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
welp, sounds interesting.
https://twitter.com/ZeboydGames/status/1440751341979123715

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
I really enjoyed Call of the Sea until one particular puzzle broke my brain. It involved rotating a stone circle in relation to a north star and I just didn't get it. After reading several guides and tips the concept still seemed non-sensical, and when I gave up and just used a website for the solution the reasoning behind the puzzle remained elusive to me. I don't know if I would have clashed with the puzzles afterward because I decided to watch a Let's Play of the rest of the game to avoid further embarrassment/frustration/confusion. Every other puzzle prior to this point seemed fairly straightforward and intuitive. I still really liked the graphics and story.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Finally finished up some crappy popcorn games and in the mood to sink into a deep RPG. If I was to choose one to start with, which would you pick out of this list (all are full/complete/gold versions):
Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
Divinity - Original Sin 2
UnderRail
Avernum Series (or Avadon Trilogy)
Serpent In The Staglands

And for a metroidvania platformer, which would you play first:
Bloodstained
Blasphemous
Grime (wondering/waiting on if this will get DLC eventually) Yeah upcoming DLC confirmed, will wait on this one

EDIT: And don't bring up Disco Elysium, I haven't picked it up yet but it's absolutely an eventual must play, just not yet.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 2, 2022

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Joe Man posted:

Finally finished up some crappy popcorn games and in the mood to sink into a deep RPG. If I was to choose one to start with, which would you pick out of this list (all are full/complete/gold versions):
Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
UnderRail
Serpent In The Staglands

Bloodstained
Blasphemous
Grime (wondering/waiting on if this will get DLC eventually)

I really liked Tyranny. Torment Numenera is kinda eh bland. No opinion on the others.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
UnderRail
Serpent In The Staglands

Bloodstained
Blasphemous

EDIT: And don't bring up Disco Elysium, I haven't picked it up yet but it's absolutely an eventual must play, just not yet.

Pathfinder Kingmaker is a 100+hour game that feels like they took the concept of the crpgs of the late 90s like Baldur's Gate and just made a modern game, both excellent and trash in equal measure. You'll need to read up a bit on it though to learn the game mechanics, or just follow some build guides until you get the hang of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tyranny is pretty compact and fun. Underrail is pretty jank and fun.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
If anyone has problems using a smartphone for 2FA things, WinAuth will do Steam codes, Google Authenticator codes (used by uPlay and the Epic Launcher, among others), and other types of codes on Windows.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Play divinity original sin 2. I loved it. I liked tyranny as well, and it's certainly lighter, but it's not as well regarded as DOS2.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A good poster posted:

If anyone has problems using a smartphone for 2FA things, WinAuth will do Steam codes, Google Authenticator codes (used by uPlay and the Epic Launcher, among others), and other types of codes on Windows.

There's a few other nice choices these days too, Authy is alright, Bitwarden can store TOTPs alongside a site's login and copy them to the clipboard when you autofill with it, etc.

I think Blizzard is the only mob that requires their own one anymore but that might have changed too.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a few other nice choices these days too, Authy is alright, Bitwarden can store TOTPs alongside a site's login and copy them to the clipboard when you autofill with it, etc.

I think Blizzard is the only mob that requires their own one anymore but that might have changed too.

WinAuth has an option for Battle.net.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

Bloodstained
Blasphemous
What metroidvanias have you played before and what did you think of them? Two of those choices are pretty different.

Bloodstained is a kitchen sink thing: Almost every enemy has an ability it can drop you can then equip, and there's a shitload of weapons and items. And an entire food system where you get permanent buffs for eating food the first time you eat that specific food.

Blasphemous meanwhile has fewer abilities and I think you never get another weapon besides the sword. Also contains instant death spikes. Dripping with atmosphere, though.

I have no opinion on Grime, having not played it myself.

Also, I like the Avernum games personally. Them or Original Sin 2 for the RPG quesiton.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is Humankind?

I love the Civilization series but I'd like to try a proper "rival" franchise. However, it's relatively tepid release has me worried.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Bloodstained
Blasphemous
Grime (wondering/waiting on if this will get DLC eventually) Yeah upcoming DLC confirmed, will wait on this one

Blasphemous

If you haven't played ender lilies, put that on your list too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A good poster posted:

WinAuth has an option for Battle.net.

Ah, that's good then

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Humankind?

I love the Civilization series but I'd like to try a proper "rival" franchise. However, it's relatively tepid release has me worried.

It seemed wildly unintuitive when I tried it, fell off after like 10-15 turns in two separate starts. They try to cram a lot in, not all of it makes inherent sense, and the whole time I was kinda just thinking about starting up a civ game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
UnderRail
Serpent In The Staglands

Bloodstained
Blasphemous

Divinity Original Sin 2 and Bloodstained are the pinnacles of their respective genres in my opinion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Republique is a fairly interesting take on MGS1 formula but with a light focus on hacking and puzzles instead of combat. The main focus of the game seems to be on the narrative and while I haven't gotten very far into the game yet the vibes seem to be a bit Bioshock-y.
It also has a VR version which seems to be perfectly serviceable as far as I could tell.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 2, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jack Trades posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2 and Bloodstained are the pinnacles of their respective genres in my opinion.

I like Bloodstained a lot, but there is still a bit of Kickstarter jank to it, so I dunno if I would call it the pinnacle. Divinity Original Sin 2 on the other hand has really good combat and writing, and is in general really well polished, so I agree with that assessment.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Humankind?

They borrowed things from civ that are bad about civ, like the linear tech tree.

The start is more interesting than civ as you have to explore before you can settle, so you have much more control over your initial city location. But afterwards it's far too close to civ, but less well made.

It is better than civ6, I guess, but not better than civ6 with a mod that slows down tech progress. So…yeah. Not good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Joe Man posted:

Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
UnderRail
Serpent In The Staglands

I'd go with Tyranny. It comes with a cool intro phase where your choices setup the map and starting relationships, the premise is refreshingly unusual, it has a decent degree of choices and consequences, and it doesn't overstay its welcome, being around 30h at most.

Kingmaker is really good but it's over 100h at the very least, due to lots and lots of loading screens and menus interlacing the fun sections with a kingdom management which becomes far too time consuming imho.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Joe Man posted:

Tyranny
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Torment Numenera
UnderRail
Serpent In The Staglands

Tyranny is the most interesting of those, followed by Torment. Pathfinder is so far removed from having a single original thought it's functionally brain dead.

I'd like to make sure you have heard of the Shadowrun games Harebrained Schemes have made, though. Dragonfall is really good and its absence on your list is disquieting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I picked up Back 4 Blood with a friend and I’m not sure why it’s got middling reviews because it’s really good. There is certainly a lot to juggle all at once - the card system and all those bonuses, the weapons and attachments and the upgrades within, and the multiple different items that can go in each equipment slot - and it lacks any kind of real tutorial that I could find but it’s coming together nicely as we figure things out. Despite some backtracking most of the levels have a nice variety of objectives and layouts and there’s plenty of satisfying shooting to be had.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Pleads posted:

It seemed wildly unintuitive when I tried it, fell off after like 10-15 turns in two separate starts. They try to cram a lot in, not all of it makes inherent sense, and the whole time I was kinda just thinking about starting up a civ game.

Antigravitas posted:

They borrowed things from civ that are bad about civ, like the linear tech tree.

The start is more interesting than civ as you have to explore before you can settle, so you have much more control over your initial city location. But afterwards it's far too close to civ, but less well made.

It is better than civ6, I guess, but not better than civ6 with a mod that slows down tech progress. So…yeah. Not good.

Yeah that sounds rough. Seems like it could be improved with a sequel, expansions, and mods. Civ VI vanilla was terrible. But including the expansions and a handful of mods it became a fantastic game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I loved Bloodstained but there are some whack design choices in there

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Regarding D:OS2, what's the deal with the multiplayer? I mean... I don't get it, what's the point of it? Just skimmed about it but from what I gathered it feels like... splitting control of the party. I thought playing the tactical layer of the game is usually one of the draws of the genre. Or my misanthropy speaking?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's so you can play with a friend. there's no deeper meaning.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah that sounds rough. Seems like it could be improved with a sequel, expansions, and mods. Civ VI vanilla was terrible. But including the expansions and a handful of mods it became a fantastic game.

wasn't this the case for IV and V too?

i remember a long-rear end time ago i asked in one of these threads about a bug in Civ V and the response was "buy the DLC"

and it was the correct response

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Char posted:

Regarding D:OS2, what's the deal with the multiplayer? I mean... I don't get it, what's the point of it? Just skimmed about it but from what I gathered it feels like... splitting control of the party. I thought playing the tactical layer of the game is usually one of the draws of the genre. Or my misanthropy speaking?

It's the wholesome experience of your idiot friends constantly loving up your plans and doing stupid poo poo.
My playthrough of DOS2 was with 2 other friends and it was great fun, at least when loving MELVIN DOESN'T CAST RAIN ON ME WHEN IM TRYING TO GO INVISIBLE OR CAST AOE FREEZE WHEN IM ALREADY WET GOD loving DAMMIT MELVIN.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The Joe Man posted:

Bloodstained
Blasphemous

blasphemous is much much better than bloodstained, though in terms of structure it's more like a 2D dark souls 1 than a pure 'metroidvania'. there's very little in the way of gaining new abilities to reach new areas, there's only some optional abilities you can find that let you gain access to more optional secrets. but it's still got that metroidvania style of world and exploration, and is a little more non-linear than most metroidvanias are. combat is quite good too!

bloodstained has very clunky combat & isn't particularly interesting to explore at all. i don't think anyone would care about it if it weren't made by iga specifically as a castlevania spiritual successor, but it doesn't even really live up to the best castlevanias.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Char posted:

Divinity was developed as a kind of homage to table-top role-playing. The CRPG genre has always had a pretty vocal contingent who wanted co-op, going right back to when Baldur's Gate was first released. Which makes sense, BG was first and foremost an attempt to transfer party-based D&D to the computer.

The issue here is that if you have any desire to min-max and micro-manage tactics, then it works better as a solo pursuit. So even games built around co-op like D:OS2 usually get played most as solo games. Plus, co-op takes a looong time, just like real-life tabletop. It's hard to get much done in less than a 3-hour session since folks bullshit with each other, eat snacks, go to the toilet etc.

Tabletop role-playing is hella fun if you can find a good group though, I'd still recommend it above any co-op crpg :3:

E: thinking more about it, the first D:OS had kinda crap writing for its genre, but it would have fit in perfectly for a laid-back tabletop group that enjoyed goofing around. The whole ethos where you can pick up just about any random object and attempt to throw/burn/glue it to something else is extremely fitting.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 2, 2022

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

Want to post my cart and see if anyone has good opinions or suggestions for similar

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

Pretty well know I think. I was a huge fan of the original game and hoping this at least the same or improved quality.

I think I remember a streamer hitting a save breaking bug in Re-Reckoning, and when they went to find out about it it turned out to be a known save breaking bug from the original version of the game that the devs didn't fix for Re-Reckoning and had no intention to put resources into fixing (at least that was the case when said streamer was playing about a year back)

Not sure how likely that bug is to affect you if you play but it didn't leave a good impression!

Edit: looks like it was a bug in the 'Dead Kel' DLC, and the streamer played it soon after release in 2020 so maybe it has actually been fixed since? Either way maybe worth reading up on if everything has been ironed out since.

Dinho Eledair fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 2, 2022

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

How is Humankind?

In single player it's merely ok. It feels a bit like Endless Legend crossed with Civ, but with less interesting gameplay. Multiplayer was broken (desyncs every ~2 turns) for months for me and my mates, so I would not buy it for that. It did have 1-2 somewhat original ideas, like linking cities with outposts in other regions to make them work as one, but it's not enough to save it from the rest.

I would recommend just playing Endless Legend instead if you have not already tried it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not a bad solution for people who don't have any other choice but it needs to be said that storing 2FA tokens along with your passwords basically makes it a single factor. Yes, you still need to fill both but it might provide a false sense of security compared to a proper 2FA.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I picked up Back 4 Blood with a friend and I’m not sure why it’s got middling reviews because it’s really good.

It had a rough launch and the devs did a lot of polishing and difficulty tweaking since.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

after about four tries quitting the game early over the last year, I just finished the base game of Control last night, and I got a few nits to pick at and/or ramble about

I ended up enjoying the combat a lot, though I wouldn't actually say it was good, if that makes any sense? I knew in advance to go hard on Launch damage, and once I got into a rhythm of swapping between that and gunfire while always moving, no size of horde could really stop me. Before learning that, fighting was a tedious slog; and someone here had to clue me in that you can indeed hit the dodgy flying assholes by launching twice. I imagine the population of people who play Control is "people who quit at/before Tomassi" and "people who went all the way" as a result

Speaking of Tomassi, the bosses moooostly sucked. Great spectacle and presentation, much like the Oldest House as a whole; but total rear end to actually fight.

While I'm complaining what the gently caress is this teensy tiny FOV, at least 2/3 of my deaths were just down to loss of situational awareness because of it. Also the final area gave everything around me IRL a greenish tint for a few minutes, jesus christ turn down the saturation a touch devs, would ya? Next time I do that I'm doing some monitor-fiddling in advance

Did the game get rushed out the development door, or possibly have pandemic problems (who didn't)? A couple points in the story had a very "look we gotta go gold, now" feel to them, especially the ending; and IDK about anyone else but I was really kind of expecting to get more use in the story out of the end-game OoP. Felt like something might've got cut there, or maybe not? I was really looking forward to exploring it. Other than that I quite enjoyed the writing and characters - even Darling's awkward videos grew on me by the end

anyway not a single one of those complaints actually matters one iota because the Ashtray Maze kicked so much rear end and thereby absolved the game of all its sins :rock:

Great game, 9/10 A+++++ would clock possessed meatbags up they chins with a forklift again; looking forward to doing the DLC

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
A very nice person in the chat thread gifted me Control and I'm eager to start it sometime soon because I have literally no idea what its about, its made by the same guys that made Max Payne? I dunno, it'll be one of those games I load up totally uninformed and end up loving