Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Xaris posted:

i mean you've been cspamming long enough to know the answer to that

to me the dinner scene was the best part

I like the part where Arianna Grande says "why don't you mind your own business you old gently caress" to Leonardo DiCaprio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Best part was the concert. Good song.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The movie can't teach anyone a lesson, and it knows this, and we know this. I don't know why "it's hamfisted" is the first thing everyone feels the need to point out. It's dumb entertainment, it knows it's dumb entertainment, it knows it doesn't have a subtle, deep lesson that only the most scholarly shall consume and understand. It's not meant to be a piece of cinema. It's just for laughs.

There's nothing to do but laugh at the absurdity and stupidity of our coming collapse, and the movie helps broke brained people like us do that. That's its only possible purpose. Of course it's not subtle, or deep, or meaningful beyond entertaining us and being fun to talk about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I didn’t like the movie because it didn’t solve climate change. what the heck?? completely disappointed

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Stereotype posted:

I didn’t like the movie because it didn’t solve climate change. what the heck?? completely disappointed

that comet hitting earth would certainly solve climate change

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

idk i felt the "exploiting the comet" thing was a direct analogy for carbon credit and "business as usual, but green"

bag em and tag em posted:

The movie can't teach anyone a lesson, and it knows this, and we know this. I don't know why "it's hamfisted" is the first thing everyone feels the need to point out. It's dumb entertainment, it knows it's dumb entertainment, it knows it doesn't have a subtle, deep lesson that only the most scholarly shall consume and understand. It's not meant to be a piece of cinema. It's just for laughs.

There's nothing to do but laugh at the absurdity and stupidity of our coming collapse, and the movie helps broke brained people like us do that. That's its only possible purpose. Of course it's not subtle, or deep, or meaningful beyond entertaining us and being fun to talk about.

yeah p much this

Quotey posted:

Best part was the concert. Good song.

:chloe:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

my favorite part of the movie was the Enlightened Centrist getting interviewed with his up/down pin

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The concert was the best part because it reminded me of all the idiot celebrity concert shits that happen and do nothing.

I remember when the big earthquake happened in Haiti and I was working at a fedex office and got a sudden rush order to make a bunch of pamphlets for the HOOTNANNY FOR HAITI with pearl jam and poo poo and they gave me free tickets for getting it done and no, I as a wage slave could absolutely not take a night off to go anyway and pondered on how loving pointless it all was.

Remember when a bunch of lovely celebrities sang Imagine? lmao.

Anyway that scene was prefect. Just absolutely useless poo poo design to make libs feel better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rime posted:

It does yet both developing Countries have electricity, transportation, etc. but one emits way more than the other. Why do you thinks thats the case? Or is there something stopping these Countries from decarbonizing their economies?

E: holy poo poo I just got got, meta as gently caress

Anywho:

Stereotype posted:

This seems like a popular sentiment.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

The Protagonist posted:

This is demonstrably beyond our capability as a species. We lack collective free will. On a mass scale, we are a cancer and no grand plan is within our reach

oh poo poo that's one biden promise kept

he's gonna cure cancer

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

apparently i've gone my entire life thinking the wrong part of TX was the panhandle

and i lived there for a good chunk of it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the best part of the movie was during that news clip montage near the end there was a bear in the grocery store

grocery bear, price check in the fish aisle

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FFT posted:

apparently i've gone my entire life thinking the wrong part of TX was the panhandle

Oh how I'd like to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
texas manhandle

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chamale posted:

Saying we're all going to die is optimism. It's a hopeful thought that the most destructive species in the history of the planet might kill itself in the process of killing millions of other species. But humans are too vicious and stubborn to get completely wiped out, and there'll be a few communities left eating whatever weeds and vermin can survive +8° C. Actions now can make a difference in whether a billion people survive, or only a few thousand.

there's absolutely a point at which warming kills every human; it definitely would at +50, definitely won't at +1.5

where exactly we end up and whether that's enough, nobody knows

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FFT posted:

and i lived there for a good chunk of it

how in the world

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i hope to god you thought it was the left and not the bottom at least

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i didnt know either. but i mean ive never lived there or given a poo poo about texas :clint:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Homeless Friend posted:

i hope to god you thought it was the left and not the bottom at least
oh geez yeah i'd always figured it was the west bit

figured it had the same directionality as the mississippi river chef

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I thought Oklahoma had the pan handle and Texas is just stealing valor

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free,
They would not listen, they're not listening still,
Perhaps they never will.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SKULL.GIF posted:

God, no one's going to do anything, are they?

I think a few key people and corporations are going to do some extremely destructive poo poo actually

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nm I misread.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Why do so many US states have panhandles anyway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

aphid_licker posted:

Why do so many US states have panhandles anyway

oklahoma has one because texas couldnt be a slave state so far north and had to give up a strip of theirs to get accepted to the union.

texas has a pan handle cause of louisiana purchase/mexican war stuff.

what else has one? connecticut? they just loving suck probably

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Florida has a panhandle. Explain that

e: oh you already did

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
West Virginia has two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Panhandle_of_West_Virginia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Panhandle_of_West_Virginia

porkbarrel/Manchin joke in here somewhere?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Missouri has a tapir nose

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Life is grand here in the Indiana Grundle

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

Life is grand here in the Indiana Grundle

That's the polite way of saying taint, isn't it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59849898

Denmark wants all domestic flights to be hydrogen fueled by 2030.

Airbus said its not making such a plane until 2035

France moving to outlaw flights that have train options less than 2.5 hours long (basically just to the low countries and the riviera)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I assume France only covers commercial flights and my private jet is safe??

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oui, private and connecting flights unaffected and its a capitulation to the tourism industry down from the original plan to ban 4 hour train redundant routes.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
denmark is the size of a postage stamp.

why do they even have domestic flights?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Dr Sun Try posted:

gotta go fast

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Sun Try posted:

greenland i guess is technically in the danish realm

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1477682378864795662
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgP0_9q6VqY
(no sound)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I guess 1991 was really that long ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_firestorm_of_1991

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

holy poo poo gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59849898

Denmark wants all domestic flights to be hydrogen fueled by 2030.

Airbus said its not making such a plane until 2035

France moving to outlaw flights that have train options less than 2.5 hours long (basically just to the low countries and the riviera)

Flying is only maintained as an industry because of the military. All the airlines are de facto nonprofits.