Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, but I don't think it'll be as bad, since less players are doing Savage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also unlocked reaper and was excited to glam something new only to realize the job starts with the best possible glam for it already (other than the head piece which I replaced with a 60 raid diablos crown)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Valentin posted:

Currently "passively" leveling all crafters and gatherers via GC turn-ins and I'm surprised I don't see it recommended more often. after leveling them all via logs and quests to ~15 (no real theory behind that choice, it's just where the natural easy start to the leveling curve started to slow and recipes started to incorporate more materials you couldn't just purchase), today it took me just half an hour and maybe 30,000 gil to pick up 23 levels all told across all DoH/DoL classes. you can gear up easily via quest rewards and crafting, since everything's in roughly the same level range if you start them all at the same time. It's not the fastest or cheapest route, but it's a nice lazy choice, doesn't require much actual engagement with crafting systems, has minimal impact on the state of your inventory, and meshes nicely with the daily gameplay encouraged by roulettes.

It’s great. I think I leveled some of the jobs from like… 15-50 doing this once in a while until I got lazy with it. Worst case go check the MB for cheap high quality stuff and get like 3 levels a job for some reason if it is the star turnin for the day

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finally rolled credits. What a ride - I have no idea how people were finishing this weeks ago with the queues the way they were. Even with two weeks off over Christmas it's a long-arse story to get through.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The secret is to not do anything else with your life.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

stev posted:

Finally rolled credits. What a ride - I have no idea how people were finishing this weeks ago with the queues the way they were. Even with two weeks off over Christmas it's a long-arse story to get through.

Agreed it's a lot of content. Was able to finish the MSQ in 3 days via PTO + early starts. Queues didn't kick in till midday. Definitely played a lot but I still, like, slept and exercised and ate healthy

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm going to take some time to level up the other classes to 60, see if I like any enough to continue leveling them up to 70, and do the Stormblood raids before moving on to Shadowbringers.

I feel, probably rather similarly to you about Stormblood, but I think I was way more negative on it.

(SB) I just didn't care about Ala Mhigo. At all. Ever. For the entire thing. The game could not force me to give a flying gently caress about it.

Every single time the plot dragged me, kicking and screaming, back to that awful place I just wanted it to be over. I didn't care about Lyse, about Raubahn, about any of that stuff. I just wanted it to be over and to keep going past it. I also can't loving stand Lyse at all for some reason - every time she opens her mouth it's like all I can hear is a yawning abyss of annoyance.

It didn't help that the Doma side of it honestly wasn't any better. Hien and Yugiri are two of them singular most boring characters in my opinion and the less time spent with them, the better. I am very well aware there are many people here who have strong(er) opinions about the narratives than I do, it just really bounced off of me entirely.

At least Stormblood gave us Sadu, who is probably the best thing to come out of it.

I think I'd honestly rank Stormblood as worse than ARR...

I think you will like Shadowbringers a lot better. I sure did.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Nephrite posted:

At least Stormblood gave us Sadu, who is probably the best thing to come out of it.
and the patches The Burn (Savage) of Y'Shtola

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
On the topic of ping/MCH heat blast stuff does anyone know if it's actually better to deliberately heat blast > gauss > heat blast > ricochet etc or do I get the same result by just repeatedly smashing all three at the same time?

On test dummies it seems to be pretty much the same or there's so little difference it's unnoticeable

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do we know if there's a reason (EW MSQ) none of the alliance leaders had any involvement or voiced lines (IIRC) in the MSQ? I know they were involved in the role quests but given how important they've been to the overall story I was expecting them to at least turn up in Sharlayan during the Endgame 'everyone's here to help' moment. Was it just an issue getting the VOs in to record?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was thinking a segment of the end walker Msq was very metal gear solid until there was a literal codec call in the middle of it

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was thinking a segment of the end walker Msq was very metal gear solid until there was a literal codec call in the middle of it

This is Thancred

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regalingualius posted:

This is Thancred

And definitely not Lahabrea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Never gonna let thancred live that one down hun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also (level 82) can’t believe they made me retroactively like the stormblood characters. Love my steppe buddies and Sadu calling for blood

All the music from HW / SB coming back too. This is like greatest hits of ff14

Edit: goddamn garlemald this fast! Also I didn’t like the idea of zenos narrating at first but wow he’s good

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 2, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually it's Emet and yeah it owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Runa posted:

Actually it's Emet and yeah it owns

Wait??? What? But… do I wanna ask or should I wait and see

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
his voice also narrated the endwalker trailer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The 5.3 trial showed that he's still hanging around in the lifestream, so just assume he's watching you to see how your story hashes out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Definitely the latter

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How come people are so bad at recognising voice actors? Is it ESL people?

I saw some stream where someone was crying over the last voice line in the last zone until her chat told her it was someone completely different.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Some people have difficulty hearing in general whether it has to do with volume or tone or any number of things. Certain podcasts friends have recommended I can't listen to because the voices are all too indistinct for me, and I prefer watching shows even in english subtitled because it helps if I miss a word or line.

Like, you wouldn't say the same thing about people who wear glasses, right? Or like: How come people are so bad at recognizing colors???

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

acumen posted:

On the topic of ping/MCH heat blast stuff does anyone know if it's actually better to deliberately heat blast > gauss > heat blast > ricochet etc or do I get the same result by just repeatedly smashing all three at the same time?

On test dummies it seems to be pretty much the same or there's so little difference it's unnoticeable

You wobble between the two to avoid overcapping. You only single weave because Heat Blast has a 1.5s GCD and trying to double weave clips like a mofo (I think even one double weave loses a full Heat Blast).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CJ posted:

How come people are so bad at recognising voice actors? Is it ESL people?

I saw some stream where someone was crying over the last voice line in the last zone until her chat told her it was someone completely different.

For me it's playing in Japanese lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CJ posted:

Mudfish also works but it's not going to get you down to a latency of 10ms and why pay for a VPN just because the game is coded dumb when you can fix it for free.

I paid 5 dollars back in Final Coil and still have more than 75% of my data left. why use a cheating tool that can carry the risk of POTENTIALLY being made bannable in the future, when you can just do that?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Square, where is my quest for teaching Matsya how to go on a date with his crush?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

You wobble between the two to avoid overcapping. You only single weave because Heat Blast has a 1.5s GCD and trying to double weave clips like a mofo (I think even one double weave loses a full Heat Blast).

Oh yeah that makes sense, fair enough. Well since I'm not a current content or savage raider I will probably just continue to smash my face on the keyboard and eat the 5% or whatever dps loss! Probably even less.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’m thinking about dipping into sage, but I’ve always found healing to be difficult from a gameplay perspective. Are there any tips on how to set up your keys/hud to make it easier to heal people?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A bunch of the Ascians sound very similar without a face to put the voice to.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

perhaps goon prosopagnosia extends to being unable to distinguish between voices

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

someone asked in here earlier I think as a joke but XIVLauncher DOES have a plugin that will allow you to replace the christian rock in the last EW zone with either previous version of the song. you can point it at only that song so the music in the game will otherwise be normal.

it works on every other song (replace any song with any song) but that's the only one I have it pointed at right now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

I’m thinking about dipping into sage, but I’ve always found healing to be difficult from a gameplay perspective. Are there any tips on how to set up your keys/hud to make it easier to heal people?

For keybinds, you kinda just gotta do what works for you, particularly when you play a bunch of jobs. Its good for muscle memory to keep similar functions on similar buttons, particularly with role abilities. For healers I try to keep my dps abilities on 1234, then my basic heals on alt+1234, and some of the bigger cooldowns on shift 1234. (thats where my tank cooldowns go as well). Shorter cooldown stuff just kind of goes where I have space in my binds, but I try to match behavior where I can. Like R is usually my instant cast ability heal (Druchole as SGE, Lily Heal as WHM) You're probably just gonna need to get some level of muscle memory.

By default, F1 to F4 (and I think all the way to F8) are bound to target party member in slots 1-8. So F1 is target self, and F2 is target tank. (in a 4 man) - really handy to get used to these.

For HUD, I just pulled the party frame in from the left more towards the center.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Healer ShB role quest is good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

Square, where is my quest for teaching Matsya how to go on a date with his crush?

I'm not sure he should want my help with anything (non-violent, at least) after I failed to sell any of his fish

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

central dogma posted:

I did attend Christian schools from elementary thru high school, so music remeniscent of this was played all the time. The library, school dances, birthday parties, etc. And I did have multiple 'not nice' experiences inappropriate for this or any thread. I know the song was written to inspire nostalgia, but it brings up the wrong kind for me.

And I adore all the other dozens of hours of music and own every available 14 album on vinyl. I have playlists for driving and at work and the music is so inspirational and touching to me that I can't listen to some of it without tears welling up. I love and adore it. It's just this one song (permanently on repeat forever in UT), and I should have never even made the original comment because now it's just a joke. I promise not to bring it up again if you all don't. Sorry for thread making GBS threads.

E/N

Honestly that’s totally fair. I was just irritated it turned into a meme.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Oxyclean posted:

For keybinds, you kinda just gotta do what works for you, particularly when you play a bunch of jobs. Its good for muscle memory to keep similar functions on similar buttons, particularly with role abilities. For healers I try to keep my dps abilities on 1234, then my basic heals on alt+1234, and some of the bigger cooldowns on shift 1234. (thats where my tank cooldowns go as well). Shorter cooldown stuff just kind of goes where I have space in my binds, but I try to match behavior where I can. Like R is usually my instant cast ability heal (Druchole as SGE, Lily Heal as WHM) You're probably just gonna need to get some level of muscle memory.

By default, F1 to F4 (and I think all the way to F8) are bound to target party member in slots 1-8. So F1 is target self, and F2 is target tank. (in a 4 man) - really handy to get used to these.

For HUD, I just pulled the party frame in from the left more towards the center.

Is there a setting to have heals or damage abilities fall through to target of target? I was a big mouse over healer in WoW but ToT would probably work too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm not sure he should want my help with anything (non-violent, at least) after I failed to sell any of his fish
I didn't even realize it was possible to fail that part.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

I'm a 1920x1080 plebeian, so your mileage may vary in terms of HUD setups, but this is what's worked for me for the past 5-ish years:

I tend to centralize most of my information both so that it's convenient to see at a glance, but also so that there's less screen real estate for my mouse to cross when I need to click on something. I typically click on both the party bars and on the target-of-target indicator for when I need to heal the tank quickly. I use either a quick Tab or a direct click for targeting enemies again. I do make some use of the function keys, but generally only F1-F5, and that's mostly for targeting the tank or myself quickly.

Keybinds will vary according to personal taste. I keep most of my major heals on easy-to-reach buttons around WASD to make it easier to hit during movement, and put the lesser-used stuff on keybinds that are a little harder to reach in a pinch. A lot of it comes down to muscle memory; I've been playing healers of one sort or another since 2.4, so the rapid movement and precision between healing/damaging comes down to hundreds of hours of practice and familiarity with the general rhythm and flow of combat.

kitten emergency posted:

Is there a setting to have heals or damage abilities fall through to target of target? I was a big mouse over healer in WoW but ToT would probably work too.

No, sadly. There's macro commands you can set up for it, but these are generally clunky due to macro-triggered actions not properly queueing up like normal actions do. SGE is a fair bit more hands off compared to other healers, though, thanks to a lot of strong AoE healing and the Kardia mechanic. Aside from Haima and Taurochole, I only rarely have to directly target someone to heal them versus relying on Physis/Kerachole to patch people up.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 2, 2022

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The FFXIV Census has been updated for January 2022. Usual caveats apply, such as this is being scraped from the Lodestone, so people set as Private don't show up and "Active" players are only those that have completed Endwalker and received the rewards from the final quest.

Here's a few things to look at.

Mi'qote and Au Ra women are still the most popular races by an extreme margin for "active" characters, but Viera men are giving them a run for their money.

Here's the American server populations for those characters that have beaten Endwalker. I'd be curious if the queues reflect this once Savage launches.

Finally, just how does the total Tonberry population compare to the other Japanese servers?

Oh. A fun note to ponder is how the hardware must compare between the Japanese and American servers. Counting all characters, Tonberry sits at 93,480 while the lowest American server, Hyperion, has 101,399 and the highest is Malboro at 145,971. The most populous server is the European Lich at 153,506, though that does count every character, whether they've logged on this morning or haven't touched the game since 2015.

The server with the most characters that have beaten Endwalker is Gilgamesh at 9,813, followed by Tonberry at 9,507. Europe's highest trails behind 10 other American servers at 8,123 characters (edit: on Cerberus), though all but two of Europe's servers have more than Japan's second highest sever.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm honestly a little surprised Gilgamesh is beating out Balmung and Cactuar in terms of population numbers. We got none of the big streamer surge from earlier in the year (beyond the whole "on the same DC" thing), and there's not much point being on it directly besides being in a raiding FC.