Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

roomforthetuna posted:

How does this work? Everything says you can't air fry battered things. Are you just breadcrumbing pickle chunks? Is it some sort of not-so-wet batter? Are all those things lying?

It really depends on the batter. You can still do seasoned flour->egg yolk->breadcrumbs or panko and it gets a pretty good crunchy crust without a huge mess or having all of the batter just drip away.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Goons Are Great posted:

sometimes I just randomly think about old threads and wonder if other yobsters remember that one, too, when given a vague description. Like the piss on balls thread just now, or do you remember the soup ghost book and also the bulldozer in the d&d campaign

I remember and I do this too, but I feel confident that of course some other long time byob friends obviously remember

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hey. Do you member?

I member.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

B33rChiller posted:

I sort of went a bit overboard with entry level stuff over the past year. A couple volcas, a nts-1, a microfreak, bastl kastle, and a neutron. The neutron is Semi-Modular, and one of the volcas is too, but they call it modular. I'm totally new to making music/sounds, but very curious. I like the more patchable stuff because it allows me to explore a lot more, rather than focusing on playing the keys (which tends to require dexterity and practice. I don't have a lot of either yet) sequencers, and quantization are big crutches for me, for the time being.
I can't justify the cost of buying modular gear, but I sure do love experimenting with it in emulation. Like sonic Legos.

I got a Neutron a couple of years ago, and early last year I took the modular plunge

it's so much fun but gently caress is it expensive

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my new year's rez: I MUST release some music this year.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

biosterous

:hmmyes:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

one time i was nattering to spouse about early computing, and i started talking about the Colossus, and how it was sad that it got dismantled for secrecy reasons, but also i was googling stuff about it while talking and i found out that there was a project to rebuild it using all possible sources of information and i started crying from happiness

gallery of sigs

he/him

Goons Are Gifts

thank you this was needed today

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

one time i was nattering to spouse about early computing, and i started talking about the Colossus, and how it was sad that it got dismantled for secrecy reasons, but also i was googling stuff about it while talking and i found out that there was a project to rebuild it using all possible sources of information and i started crying from happiness

this is beautiful. it's like kintsugi on a grand scale.

i, just like everyone, think a lot about the state of the world and whatever. some people i know and love think people are the worst and the planet is a gently caress but i try and maintain a silver linings perspective and here is one of the things about the world that makes me glad to be alive.

humans gently caress stuff up, but we have this unique capacity to recognize the gently caress up and to work to make things better that is very endearing. sometimes we collectively trip and fall and oops our dogs made a whole species goes extinct but then there's gonna be people trying to clone them or whatever.

like with film preservation - we collectively hosed up and lost a lot of stuff, but there's been a huge push on multiple fronts to try and salvage what can. it's a huge bummer the library of alexandria burned but having this really powerful metaphor for the potential that knowledge has to be lost must have done something to our collective psyche.

is there a specifically good article about the colossus recreation somewhere i can read?

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Farecoal

There he go
Bummer post ahead, spoiled just in case

My parents were visiting for the holidays and left last night to go back to Mexico. Well, apparently on the flight there my dad had 5 very bad tonic-clonic seizures. They put him in an ambulance as soon as they landed and he and my mom are in a Mexico City hospital. He's "okay" now but for a couple of hours I was genuinely thinking I was about to get a call that my dad had died. That was not a great feeling, and neither is knowing I can't do anything to help them.

He's had seizures for years but nothing as bad as the ones he had this morning. They've never been able to figure out a definitive cause and I hope that finally changes this time.

Sorry for all the depressing posts, I guess my family and I have just had a lovely couple of months.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Farecoal posted:

My parents were visiting for the holidays and left last night to go back to Mexico. Well, apparently on the flight there my dad had 5 very bad tonic-clonic seizures. They put him in an ambulance as soon as they landed and he and my mom are in a Mexico City hospital. He's "okay" now but for a couple of hours I was genuinely thinking I was about to get a call that my dad had died. That was not a great feeling, and neither is knowing I can't do anything to help them.

He's had seizures for years but nothing as bad as the ones he had this morning. They've never been able to figure out a definitive cause and I hope that finally changes this time.

Sorry for all the depressing posts, I guess my family and I have just had a lovely couple of months.

growing up my dad always had "arthritis" and it was part of his life story because he was diagnosed as a child. anyways these days the dr says he doesn't have it, and they've been trying to figure out what his deal is. a part of this is the last few years every once in a while he'll get what is described as "gallbladder attacks" and puke up whatever he just ate. i stayed at my parents home over christmas and more than once watching csi or whatever got interrupted by my dad running to the bathroom to violently empty his guts.

what i am saying is as we age our parents become elderly and it loving sucks not knowing what is going on. i feel that. i'm glad your pops is still here and they're working towards figuring stuff out.

sending positive energy south.

cruft

I don't like the lime Skittles. They should have stayed with sour apple.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I will eat all the lime Skittles nobody wants. I am very generous like that.

biosterous

Heather Papps posted:

this is beautiful. it's like kintsugi on a grand scale.

i, just like everyone, think a lot about the state of the world and whatever. some people i know and love think people are the worst and the planet is a gently caress but i try and maintain a silver linings perspective and here is one of the things about the world that makes me glad to be alive.

humans gently caress stuff up, but we have this unique capacity to recognize the gently caress up and to work to make things better that is very endearing. sometimes we collectively trip and fall and oops our dogs made a whole species goes extinct but then there's gonna be people trying to clone them or whatever.

like with film preservation - we collectively hosed up and lost a lot of stuff, but there's been a huge push on multiple fronts to try and salvage what can. it's a huge bummer the library of alexandria burned but having this really powerful metaphor for the potential that knowledge has to be lost must have done something to our collective psyche.

is there a specifically good article about the colossus recreation somewhere i can read?

wish i had something to like but this was several years ago so i don't remember where i found stuff!

gallery of sigs

he/him

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cardi BYOB posted:

I will eat all the lime Skittles nobody wants. I am very generous like that.

You will have to fight me for them

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

You will have to fight me for them

I'll make you a promise: you can have half when I get my ten pound bag.

Zil

Cardi BYOB posted:

I'll make you a promise: you can have half when I get my ten pound bag.

Do... do.. they sell skittles in 10 pound bags?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

Still looking but I've gotten bulk single flavors before (specifically lemon and the mango smoothie flavor) so I should be able to get bulk runs of lime.

Zil

humans were not built to handle 10 lbs of skittles responsibly

biosterous

Zil posted:

thats why you have to share half of it with someone yeah

gallery of sigs

he/him

Zil

biosterous posted:

thats why you have to share half of it with someone yeah

:hmmyes:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Zil posted:

Who said anything about handling Skittles (or anything else) responsibly?

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I'll be responsible about ten pounds of yellow and green skittles when i'm dead.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

wish i had something to like but this was several years ago so i don't remember where i found stuff!

i'm still going thru this: https://www.tnmoc.org/rebuilding-colossus but it's a good very economical description of the whole thing. they used actual period parts from scrapped telephone exchanges!

also i've been to the hersheys factory and i bet if you went to a skittles factory and did a tour their gift shop would have big rear end containers of each flavour you can pay bulk price for.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I wish to scrooge mcduck right into a vat of yellow skittles

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Imagine being served a five course meal and it's all just lime Skittles

cruft

I found a place that will sell me a 17kg pack of Skittles. Who's in?

cruft

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I'll be responsible for about ten pounds of yellow and green skittles when i'm dead.

FTFY: That's a pretty weird inheritance.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hello! I asked here for ideas for New Year's Eve desserts and I'm sorry I didn't report back. Pumpkin baklavas were a success. I made so much filling I ended up baking a new batch today and took a pic:

I tried to fill these with all the leftover so a couple of them ended up bursting, which doesn't make them look professionally beautiful, but that doesn't affect taste in any way.

Delicious and not too sweet (I wanted to avoid sugar). Filling is made of walnuts, pecan nuts, pumpkin, a bit of honey (to replace sugar), and a ton of cinnamon. Pretty easy to make all things said. I followed this recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8Qkw2CmDE

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Stoner Sloth

Farecoal posted:

hey friend, just wanted to send you :sympathy: and chill vibes :wom:

Trying

ATTN: if you read this post, you have been zorbed. I have placed you in a zorb and gently rolled you a short distance. I am neither sorry nor proud

astral

you can build your own BYOB bundle over at humble, but what would the BYOB bundle on SA look like?

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Zil posted:

the big candy bags for filling vending machines are normally 3 pounds.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Gramps

astral posted:

you can build your own BYOB bundle over at humble, but what would the BYOB bundle on SA look like?

plate of tacos, oz of kush, big snuggly blanket, a kitty, and a real dumb movie to watch with your kitty while you get zooted and eat your weight in tacos

Escape From Noise

Farecoal posted:

That sounds really stressful! I'm sorry that happened, but I'm glad the prognosis isn't as bad as it could have been.

Tampa Bae

Please, this is all I have
What happened over the last two days, all of the other forums I read are so weird right now and people are so combative and spiteful

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Tampa Bae posted:

What happened over the last two days, all of the other forums I read are so weird right now and people are so combative and spiteful

Everyone's on their post New Year's comedowns

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

Tampa Bae

Please, this is all I have

Rarity posted:

it's a weird way to start a new year

Escape From Noise

Rarity posted:

People get upbeat because of New Year? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I'm feeling pretty chipper!

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!