Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Alctel posted:

Speak for yourselves, I'm not satisfied till you have to run a diving operation to recover a black box from the middle of the pacific every time you crash

Aircraft Accident Forensic Squad, coming Fall 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
NTSB Simulator 2022 :spergin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And then in FAA Simulator 2023 you ignore everything that happened in NTSB Simulator 2022

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I mean it does look like AOPA uses off the shelf sims for their Air Safety Institute - Accident Case Study recreations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

JayKay posted:

I mean it does look like AOPA uses off the shelf sims for their Air Safety Institute - Accident Case Study recreations.

My favorite videos. I wish they did more.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PT6A posted:

I can agree it'd be cool to model damage, especially in flight. A bent prop and sheared off gear from a hard landing? An upside-down plane from poor crosswind control, or the realistic result of a ground loop? Yeah, cool. A crash? Probably not so much. I just don't think there's much to see there, unless you want to see how big a boom you can make. Maybe we're talking about different things.

So, you don't think it would be satisfying to see the nose of the plane crumple, the wings shear off and counting how many pieces are still attached after a particularly shoddy attempt at landing?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Air Disasters is my comfort show lol.

I guess people trying their best to help usually and there being actual rules that people care about is something is refreshing to watch.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I guess people trying their best to help usually and there being actual rules that people care about is something is refreshing to watch.

I have watched so many episodes I feel comfortable I could solve a plane crash*.

*I'm joking obviously.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, you don't think it would be satisfying to see the nose of the plane crumple, the wings shear off and counting how many pieces are still attached after a particularly shoddy attempt at landing?

Um https://youtu.be/U3aV8G-j8nw

https://youtu.be/mLUOkY5wFwE

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 1, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

skooma512 posted:

I was on a flight with live TV and there was an Air Disasters marathon on.

Took me a while to figure out why others were looking at me funny.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

UnknownTarget posted:

What happened?

Low level engine failure, ironically just after practicing forced landings so was only at 1000 feet and the Piper Cherokee glides like a brick, had to chose between a swamp, a river and a golf course (with ppl on it)

Front wheel caught in the mud, the plane somersaulted over its nose and luckily landed right side up, twisted the airframe around the engine to poo poo though

Alctel fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 1, 2022

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Alctel posted:

Low level engine failure, ironically just after practicing forced landings so was only at 1000 feet and the Piper Cherokee glides like a brick, had to chose between a swamp, a river and a golf course (with ppl on it)

Front wheel caught in the mud, the plane somersaulted over its nose and luckily landed right side up, twisted the airframe around the engine to poo poo though

Good job surviving the crash. That's always scared me IRL, the random engine failure. Sims just don't do a great job of preparing you for it, since every aircraft is pristine and the failure rates don't accumulate. Did you ever find out what caused the failure?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, see, that's loving awesome

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Peripheral chat has made me thirst for a new set of controls. Perhaps a Honeycomb set, but maybe something more versatile, like a Virphil or new VKB HOTAS.

Does someone know whether you have to individually assign each button for them in DCS/MSFS? If I want a new setup I'd want one that's practically plug and play with MSFS, IL2, and DCS. I know the Warthog sort of does that, but not for the rest.

e: Has anyone had experience with hardware from "Winwing"? I never heard of them until today when I saw YouTuber GrowlingSidewinder demo their stuff. They seem to have a neat selection of fighter plane (F18) and helicopter HOTAS hardware.

https://wwsimstore.com/STORE

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 1, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I had no idea you could do that in Besieged.

Reminds me of the old A-10 Cuba! and Screamin' Demons over Europe damage modelling.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

Peripheral chat has made me thirst for a new set of controls. Perhaps a Honeycomb set, but maybe something more versatile, like a Virphil or new VKB HOTAS.

Does someone know whether you have to individually assign each button for them in DCS/MSFS? If I want a new setup I'd want one that's practically plug and play with MSFS, IL2, and DCS. I know the Warthog sort of does that, but not for the rest.

Plug and play is a matter of opinion. Most modern flight sims will bind all the buttons on a modern HOTAS out of the box, yes. That doesn't mean they'll all be bound correctly, or in a way that makes sense for the specific plane you're flying.

For instance, if you have a Warthog and you're flying an A-10, it's a 1:1 mapping and you can be pretty confident that you don't have to change anything about the bindings.

If you have a Warthog and you're flying an F-16, the stick is essentially the same and should be bound correctly out of the box, but the throttle is different. The default remapping of F-16 throttle controls to Warthog buttons may make sense, or you may want to adjust it to your preferences.

If you have a Warthog and are flying a MiG, none of the buttons are going to line up exactly except the trigger, the trim switch and the paddle. Again, you can use what the flight sim developers thought made sense, or you can adjust it to your own liking. If you use your Warthog to fly an Airbus, the mapping is completely arbitrary.

Personally, for DCS I use the Chuck's Guides setups with a few small modifications, and I just clear all the controls at the beginning and bind what I need manually. That way my control setup matches the reference document that I'm going to use. It's no help looking at a picture showing "select the target with TMS UP on your stick" if you set TMS UP to something else. If you don't want to go through manual binding, you can usually download a binding file to do it for you, and these usually include a cheat sheet with all the controls labeled on a drawing of the device. Google around and you'll find them. I don't trust them personally, and I have a few unusual bindings that I always have to set anyway, but they work for a lot of people.

For MSFS and civilian planes, well, first of all they just don't really have a whole lot of HOTAS controls. The million button Left/Right Control Inceptor* thing is pretty much exclusive to military jets. Usually the only things on your stick and throttle will be radio PTT, trim, autopilot disconnect, maybe TOGA or speedbrakes or whatever. Everything else you can bind wherever you want -- there's no objectively correct HOTAS switch to use for the flaps, for instance, if in the real plane it's a lever on the panel. Second, the systems are generally much simpler and don't rely on HOTAS controls like a modern fighter jet does. You don't need to bind the G1000 control buttons to your stick, because you just click on them in the cockpit. When I'm not bothering to take out my full yoke and throttle setup, I just fly MSFS with my old Logitech stick, and I think the total things I have bound on it are:

- pitch, roll, throttle
- trim nose up / nose down (hat switch)
- flaps up / down (two buttons on base)
- wheel brake (trigger)
- speedbrakes (thumb missile/pickle button)
- parking brake (button on base)
- gear toggle (button on base)
- mixture up/down (two buttons on top of stick, since there is no extra axis for it)
- propeller pitch up/down (other two buttons on top of stick)

and that's it. Everything else can be done in the cockpit. Hell, technically you could get away with just binding pitch, roll, throttle, and trim and probably not have any major difficulties flying the plane, as long as you can find the parking brake lever in the cockpit. Sometimes it's sneaky.

*Left Inceptor and Right Inceptor are the technical terms for what are commonly called the "throttle" and "stick" in a fly-by-wire plane, since neither one directly controls a throttle or a set of aerodynamic surfaces. You use one of your control inceptors to command the computer to do something, like accelerate to a desired airspeed or turn at a specific rate, and the plane does whatever it needs to somewhere behind you to make that happen. :eng101:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 1, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for your detailed input. You're right; I shouldn't really worry about MSFS in regards to bindings. The only item where a dedicated control panel makes sense for me, is a generic autopilot control panel. VKB makes a nice looking one. But even then, that's a function that's not needed for many planes. So a normal HOTAS + mouse remains the best option for me.

I think I'm overthinking this because stepping up from a Gladiator Pro would be going to be a big purchase. I think I'll install IL2 and see if I can get the need for some dog fighting out of my system, and if that doesn't help I'm gonna tell my girlfriend that I need a savings account for a Virpil set.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

UnknownTarget posted:

Good job surviving the crash. That's always scared me IRL, the random engine failure. Sims just don't do a great job of preparing you for it, since every aircraft is pristine and the failure rates don't accumulate. Did you ever find out what caused the failure?

Yeah, there was a screw missing on the fuel selector switch, and when I switched tanks the dial went over too far to 'off'

If we'd been higher or the plane glided better we would have had time to catch it (I was with my instructor) but there was so little time between engine failure and actually having to set up the landing run

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Alright, my live weather just stopped working and my frame rate is dropping to poo poo partway through flights now, goddamnit MSFS. Anyone know of any workaround while I was for Asobo to fix whatever they broke this time?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I bought the Daher Kodiak turboprop from SimWorks Studios a while back. It's like the Cessna Caravan except smaller and a lot prettier, but in a plane-ish way instead of a luxury car-ish way a la the TBM. Not available in the in-game store for now, it has to be purchased externally.

Cons
- Optimization issues and very high hardware requirements. I usually get close to 60fps and with this plane I get 24 on a cloudy day. The integrated standby instrument supposedly causes a lot of CPU load and you can pull its circuit breaker to alleviate this problem. On my system the plane is GPU-limited, and the debug stats say that my 12GB of VRAM is almost entirely full, maybe that has something to do with it.
- Condition lever has some closely-spaced detents that are kind of a pain to operate from a generic throttle quadrant I guess? Could benefit from being made non-linear.

Neutrals
~ The plane is quite a handful to fly, which is apparently true to life. You will be trimming all three axes constantly as any change in pitch or power setting will throw the slip/skid indicator all over the place. Massive turboprop torque relative to the weight of the plane itself (or something, I'm not a real pilot) also results in a strong roll tendency that requires roll trimming to counteract. Even with the AP on you'll need to trim the rudder manually; there's a yaw damper but it doesn't seem to do anything. Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on what you want out of the sim experience.
~ G1000 only like the real aircraft, but compatible with the NXi mod out of the box.

Pros
+ Looks lovely and has very high resolution PBR textures throughout
+ Fantastic turboprop sound
+ Very detailed systems modelling, all of the circuit breakers work except those limited by underlying sim limitations. Even simulates climate control and oxygen bottles in detail.
+ Many variants modeled: four cabins (luxury, passenger, cargo, mixed), a cargo pod version, a fat tires version, and several different liveries.
+ Passengers and cargo appear and disappear in the back as you adjust the plane's payload. Each passenger rear end in a seat opens another oxygen valve during high-altitude ops.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 2, 2022

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Cat Wings posted:

Alright, my live weather just stopped working and my frame rate is dropping to poo poo partway through flights now, goddamnit MSFS. Anyone know of any workaround while I was for Asobo to fix whatever they broke this time?

Turn off live weather.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Cat Wings posted:

It's been non-functional since at least yesterday, it's not just you.
https://twitter.com/MSFS_Support/status/1477704862792134661

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
"Well, we never expected MSFS to last this long so we didn't code anything to be compatible with the year 2022." - Microsoft

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

i am kiss u now posted:

"Well, we never expected MSFS to last this long so we didn't code anything to be compatible with the year 2022." - Microsoft

lol

Also, can this forum get a goddamn "Haha" button for posts already so I can let people know their poo poo is funny without having to clog up threads with full "haha" posts please?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GreatGreen posted:

lol

Also, can this forum get a goddamn "Haha" button for posts already so I can let people know their poo poo is funny without having to clog up threads with full "haha" posts please?

haha

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cojawfee liked this

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cojawfee posted:

Cojawfee liked this

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

this.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Flight sim thread treading dangerously close to advocating for upvotes

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The extra bit of effort required to show appreciation for a post is part of this place's charm.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

i am kiss u now posted:

What's this now? Did I miss something hilariously stupid?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Shine posted:

The extra bit of effort required to show appreciation for a post is part of this place's charm.

:corsair:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Random weather within set parameters would be way more fun than live weather, which kind of sucks because at any given time the weather might be too poo poo or not sufficiently poo poo to accomplish what you want. Controlled random weather would be much more of a cool challenge for a game and less likely to break in stupid ways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Controlled random weather is hard because that's basically a full on weather simulation if you ask it to simulate 1 or more organized systems across 2000 miles and 4 hours and those barely exist in supercomputers. Weather directors can fake it probably well enough to make interesting weather to fly through but that involves some intense content creation. Live weather is such an intriguing cheat because the earth itself is the best weather simulator available. The next step would be historical weather and a good index of interesting (or less interesting) times to fly. That's maybe seemingly easier to serve than live weather but I guess that depends on how neatly (and cheaply) you'd be able to store the historical weather.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Being able to see the METAR or TAF (or both) for a station from the Start Flight screen would be a huge leap forward. I love chasing lovely marginal weather, but they kinda don’t give you great tools for it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think I'm going to sell my old Oculus and get myself a head tracker and a downpayment for a Virpil throttle.

I don't play any VR games except sims, and it'll be a while before I have the hardware to really enjoy flying in VR without jank.

Posting this here so I actually do it's no backsies.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

I think I'm going to sell my old Oculus and get myself a head tracker and a downpayment for a Virpil throttle.

I don't play any VR games except sims, and it'll be a while before I have the hardware to really enjoy flying in VR without jank.

Posting this here so I actually do it's no backsies.

Assuming you're going to go for a big boy trackir, post your thoughts itt plx when you try it out?

I've been considering it for a long time, but I've tried all of the opentrack face tracking stuff (which is widely reported to be "really good" and "comparable to trackir" nowadays with a good camera....which I'm not sure I believe) and I ended up really hating it.

Was really, really jank to set up and always seemed glitchy AF. And occasionally really small head movements would set the cockpit bouncing all over the place on screen.

I don't want to take the plunge on £100+ trackir if it's not actually better :///

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TrackIR is fine, but it's pretty much the TI-83+ of flight sim gear at this point (obsolete technology that somehow still retails for $150)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I love VR so much and I wouldn't give it up for anything now that I've experienced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

kalleth posted:

Assuming you're going to go for a big boy trackir, post your thoughts itt plx when you try it out?

I've been considering it for a long time, but I've tried all of the opentrack face tracking stuff (which is widely reported to be "really good" and "comparable to trackir" nowadays with a good camera....which I'm not sure I believe) and I ended up really hating it.

Was really, really jank to set up and always seemed glitchy AF. And occasionally really small head movements would set the cockpit bouncing all over the place on screen.

I don't want to take the plunge on £100+ trackir if it's not actually better :///

I've owned a trackir and this thing https://www.ebay.com/itm/164083288444. They've been equally effective. I think the IR led / reflector system is just always going to be better than an AI doing face rec.