Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always sort of expected a kind of “Is anybody here NOT undercover??” scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Are darkfriends even going to be a thing in the 4th age? The Dark One is cut off from the world again and can't promise anything new or deliver on any previous promises anymore. You might still have existing darkfriends trying to somehow free him again, maybe, but there's nothing to entice new ones and they'd all but die off in a generation.

What would even a reformed Whitecloak org even do in the 4th age other than find "darkfriends" where none exist to continue to justify their existance.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I figure the wheel has to turn a bunch again until someone wants to “drill for power into this weird bore thingy”

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are darkfriends even going to be a thing in the 4th age? The Dark One is cut off from the world again and can't promise anything new or deliver on any previous promises anymore. You might still have existing darkfriends trying to somehow free him again, maybe, but there's nothing to entice new ones and they'd all but die off in a generation.

What would even a reformed Whitecloak org even do in the 4th age other than find "darkfriends" where none exist to continue to justify their existance.

My book read was years ago but didn't shadar logoth serve as an example of evil that can sort of spontaneously come about? If that sort of thing can happen again in the new age, then maybe white cloaks could find a purpose in fighting against stuff like that, I don't know.

Human nature being what it is, it's probably more likely that they just turn into some sort of weird Inquisition with even less of a pretext for existence than they used to have.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The poor darkfriends will probably just transition into/back into a life of crime, with the rich ones will just pretend they were on the right side all along, and continue to be the rich assholes they probably always were.

Whitecloaks never actually were looking for real darkfriends, it was an impossible task, unless you happened to be riding by someone's farm and see they high-fiving a fade or some poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

My book read was years ago but didn't shadar logoth serve as an example of evil that can sort of spontaneously come about? If that sort of thing can happen again in the new age, then maybe white cloaks could find a purpose in fighting against stuff like that, I don't know.

I think Shadar Logoth was the Wheel's backup girl in case Rand decided to kill The Dark One so that there could be an evil to counterbalance good. Once it got personified into Padan Fain he became the new side girl and the Wheel just needed to keep him around as the backup evil until Rand decided to re-seal The Dark One rather than destroying it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly that's pretty on target

I also thought the books were so horny, with the blackfriends trying to sleep with Rand and successfully sleeping with Mat.

Turns out horny was only limited to slapping bottoms and crossing bosoms.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm definitely storing "fighting sand wars with his family of ninjas" away in my one-liner cache

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Listen Galad knowingly joined the KKK while coming from a black family but he also got them to stop openly lynching people, so who are you to judge him?

Meanwhile, have you considered that Faile has a boring plotline?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Hollismason posted:

Also if anything the Aes Sedai are left in a worse situation at the end of the books where Cadsuane is going to be the Amyrillin Seat. Cadsuane is loving insufferable. Her plan with Rand hilariously backfired with Rand almost tipping over to the Shadow completely.

Like she's a total gently caress up of extra proportion.

This is why I want Dolores umbragesuane. It is a fantastic match.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I love Verin but giving such an important letter to Mat of all people was a really dumb move haha.

Surely there had to be a better way to warn of the trolloc invasion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

theblackw0lf posted:

So I love Verin but giving such an important letter to Mat of all people was a really dumb move haha.

Surely there had to be a better way to warn of the trolloc invasion.

It actually makes sense because Verin couldn't do something to betray the Shadow, so she did it in a way that she "could be betraying the shadow "but not really because it was totally random. If she had just told Mat that would have betrayed her vows but she did it in such a way as to keep with her vows.

It didn't really matter though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

find "darkfriends" where none exist to continue to justify their existance.

That didn't stop them in the 3rd age.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

TFOH: Forgot the reason the Whitecloaks and Dragonsworn rioted in Samara is because Nyneave asked both Uno and Galad to find her a ship, and they found the same one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ungratek posted:

TFOH: Forgot the reason the Whitecloaks and Dragonsworn rioted in Samara is because Nyneave asked both Uno and Galad to find her a ship, and they found the same one.

Her inner thought about not considering what might happen if she pointed two madmen at the same target is just perfect.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Harton posted:

Yeah I figure the wheel has to turn a bunch again until someone wants to “drill for power into this weird bore thingy”

6 ages. It's opened towards the end of the 2nd age, patched, then sealed correctly at the end of the 3rd age. Somewhere in between the 4th and 2nd ages, magic is lost, our age comes and goes, and magic is rediscovered before it's used to punch a hole in that almost perfectly sealed bore again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Since we know the Creator sealed the Dark One, Rand is the Creator.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Since we know the Creator sealed the Dark One, Rand is the Creator.

We know that just as much as we know the Creator sealed the forsaken in, at the moment of creation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He certainly sealed their fates!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 3rd Age was only 3,000 years, with most of our characters living into the 4th. I always wondered if he counted the Stone/Ice/Bronze/etc Ages as each their own. Since the story ended up being all about living another time and doing better I never took the 7th Age/1st Age as some heat death/big bang. Just another collapse like the AOL somewhere in like Age 5 or 6.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Then there's the, um, other theories.

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Ages_of_the_Wheel_Theory

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Barreft posted:

The 3rd Age was only 3,000 years, with most of our characters living into the 4th. I always wondered if he counted the Stone/Ice/Bronze/etc Ages as each their own. Since the story ended up being all about living another time and doing better I never took the 7th Age/1st Age as some heat death/big bang. Just another collapse like the AOL somewhere in like Age 5 or 6.

We know there was a time when men and wolves hunted together, which probably precedes the 2nd age at least. And we know that our present time also took place, with references to landing on the moon. Those probably represent at least two ages there. I imagine that wolf time would be pre-history for us, then us, then the age of legands, then the time the books take place, then the 4th age (as referenced in the various historians talking about the 3rd age at the ends of the books) then who knows what.

Of course calling things "the 3rd age" or "the 4th age" isn't really right either since there are no beginnings in the wheel.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

that thing posted:

This Age ends perhaps as late as 33 AD, with the death of the last channeler, Jesus.

lmao

I do think the idea that "the real world" being the seventh age makes sense, though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CainsDescendant posted:

lmao

I do think the idea that "the real world" being the seventh age makes sense, though

Yeah I don't mind the overall conclusion of the page, but lmao that line stuck out to me too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Has anyone been able to find this but with the Great Serpent turning the Wheel as it moves?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I liked the take on Jesus

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i've started reading book 12, and sanderson is retroactively making me appreciate jordan's prose a lot more.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The timeline I think about from our world is how we remember the tale of Sodom destroyed by god's wrath compared to finding a bronze age city that was destroyed by a meteor air burst 3600 years ago. There's at least 2 ages (ours and AoL) that do scientific exploration and archeology, so there has to be enough time and disruption between those that we're not finding AoL cities under 2ft of dirt. That timeline of ages lasting 1700 or 300 years is just too short, roughly 3000+ years per an age makes way more sense in keeping them distinct and far enough apart to forget everything, even when we're looking for the past.

Edit: with probably one long primitive age after humans really gently caress things up more than usual.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 3, 2022

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hey remember when Moiraine almost got drugged but then made then innkeeper drink the wine and then she passed out and Moiraine left her to be raped/abused?

The books are pretty full of bad takes on morals/ethics/justice.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Stuff like the breaking of the world would absolutely trash paleontology and geology unless they also have billions of years to repeat the time before humans.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

exmarx posted:

i've started reading book 12, and sanderson is retroactively making me appreciate jordan's prose a lot more.

Keep in mind almost all of Egwene is Jordan.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Hey remember when Moiraine almost got drugged but then made then innkeeper drink the wine and then she passed out and Moiraine left her to be raped/abused?

The books are pretty full of bad takes on morals/ethics/justice.

Wait what?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stuff like the breaking of the world would absolutely trash paleontology and geology unless they also have billions of years to repeat the time before humans.

Yeah, but there needs to be another one between the 3rd age and our age, so we're not finding ancient cities on the top of mountains.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Dragonmount alone would be a completely out of context problem. Mountains do not naturally form solo with hundreds of miles of relatively flat plains surrounding them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No one said the ages need to be the same length!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Yeah, Dragonmount alone would be a completely out of context problem. Mountains do not naturally form solo with hundreds of miles of relatively flat plains surrounding them.

Oh I'm sure someone in the 4th age flattened it just because.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's what we're chatting about! It's all in good fun

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There need to be humans in each age for legends and myth to survive an entire turning of the wheel though. You can't have an age of dinosaurs with no humans because that breaks the ability for those legends to make it all the way around the wheel.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The best part is Jordan was way into his cosmology, so he either had these Ages down in his mind, or he didn't and just went with "It's just fantasy dumbass" like with other parts he was asked.

It's too loving bad he died so young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Nitrousoxide posted:

There need to be humans in each age for legends and myth to survive an entire turning of the wheel though. You can't have an age of dinosaurs with no humans because that breaks the ability for those legends to make it all the way around the wheel.

Dinosaurs are the creator and dark one go on holiday and Ish convinces everyone else to stay in TAR while he gets some solitude in, but LTT can't resist pranking him and sends whichever forsaken made trollocs/fades along with birds....