Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

kitten emergency posted:

I’m thinking about dipping into sage, but I’ve always found healing to be difficult from a gameplay perspective. Are there any tips on how to set up your keys/hud to make it easier to heal people?

Spoiler for 4th pandemonium fight, but it shows most of my UI: https://i.imgur.com/X0djQId.png

My focus target, their casts, and my casts are all in the lower middle. Some random clicked abilities (Lucid, Surecast) are in that small section to the right, and then is my party bar. My mouse lives in that section of the screen, and with that much screen space, it's easy to mouse to my targets, either enemy on the left or ally on the right. To the right of the party window are some random cooldowns. They're just there so I can check their status quickly if my eyes are there already.

Everything to the left of my target is hotkeyed.

Bottom row is 1-6. Above is shift 1-6. Then is ~, shift ~, and then Alt ~, 1, 2, Q, E
The vertical bar on the left is QERFT, and shift QERTF

I've long deleted A and S as turn keys, and they just strafe.

I used to have my focus target dead-centre in the middle of my screen, but I found it often interfered with targeting, dropping ground effects, or even mouse turning. I lowered it to its current position and I find that works almost as well.

I can usually concentrate on a diamond shaped section of the screen - from the enmity list to party list wide, and then top and bottom of the screen.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

kitten emergency posted:

Is there a setting to have heals or damage abilities fall through to target of target? I was a big mouse over healer in WoW but ToT would probably work too.

Yes, you can macro your damage spells with <tt> and it'll target your target.

Example macro that I use:

/micon "Dosis"
/ac "Dosis" <tt>

The cool thing is that it upgrades along with the move, so when you get Dosis II and III you don't need to make separate macros for them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As a caveat to the above, macros do not queue their casts. Currently if you try to cast a spell in the last 1/4 of the GCD, it will automatically queue up and cast immediately. With a macro, it will fail until the GCD is finished. Once finished, you can start to cast, with latency between end and beginning.

Long term it can be a significant loss in GCDs over a fight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As a caveat to the above, macros do not queue their casts. Currently if you try to cast a spell in the last 1/4 of the GCD, it will automatically queue up and cast immediately. With a macro, it will fail until the GCD is finished. Once finished, you can start to cast, with latency between end and beginning.

Long term it can be a significant loss in GCDs over a fight.

Is there something similar for oGCDs? Every once in a while my dragoon eye macro won't fire, and that's just a single line to use it on my focus target (which I set up beforehand outside the macro).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

Is there something similar for oGCDs? Every once in a while my dragoon eye macro won't fire, and that's just a single line to use it on my focus target (which I set up beforehand outside the macro).

I think the mechanics of that are similar, yeah. I use a few oGCD macros to make targeting easier, and to help remediate that I'll throw in the command a dozen times. Like this:
/micon Shirk
/merror off
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>
/ac "Shirk" <2>

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Bruceski posted:

IME if dragon eye doesn't fire it's because your target is out of range. My macro has a couple lines of <6> (usually another melee in a full party) a couple lines of <7>, then <4> (dungeons or a lucky healer), then a couple with nothing just to make sure that at least I get the buff if everyone else is out of range for some reason.

I used to do mouseover but it was frustrating just how often other melees were out of range.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

kitten emergency posted:

Is there a setting to have heals or damage abilities fall through to target of target? I was a big mouse over healer in WoW but ToT would probably work too.

DelvUI gives you party frames with full mouseover functionality. I was slow to adopt it given how much I customize my WoW UI, but it's a gamechanger.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've just become very fast at clicking on someone in the party list to give them buffs for an oGCD.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ibblebibble posted:

I've just become very fast at clicking on someone in the party list to give them buffs for an oGCD.

Yeah. If your party frame is in a decent spot and you actually hotkey your abilities, this is easy.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Vermain posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised Gilgamesh is beating out Balmung and Cactuar in terms of population numbers. We got none of the big streamer surge from earlier in the year (beyond the whole "on the same DC" thing), and there's not much point being on it directly besides being in a raiding FC.

Honestly, legacy stats impact this. There was a point in time for much of HW where if you wanted to raid at all in NA servers, you were probably going to have to transfer to Gilgamesh, and even though that's no longer the case, a lot of people likely found FCs there and just didn't transfer back.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CJ posted:

How come people are so bad at recognising voice actors? Is it ESL people?

I saw some stream where someone was crying over the last voice line in the last zone until her chat told her it was someone completely different.

I’m actually very good at recognizing voice actors which is why I am pretty surprised by this one. Also for some reason I don’t have the FF14 voices in my head despite having some of the best VA in games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

How come people are so bad at recognising voice actors? Is it ESL people?

I saw some stream where someone was crying over the last voice line in the last zone until her chat told her it was someone completely different.

I have extremely bad hearing so if voices sound similar it can be difficult for me. It isn't hard with big distinctive voices (and weirdly enough I have a much easier time with heavily accented voices) but it can be tough without a face to place with them occasionally.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm not the best with putting names to voices either (though I can generally differentiate them fine). It's why I don't really get seiyuu fans who watch an anime/play a game just for a voice actor.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

adhuin posted:

Personally I'm pretty lazy about melding and I've never bothered to pentameld. It sounded like a waste of millions of gil, while getting 2% more dps. And you have to repeat that every time you get a new item tier level.

So, in defense of pentamelding:
  • It's around 6%-7% more DPS for current gear, depending on job. Overmelding will become less impactful later in the expansion as the relative value of materia decreases.
  • You can only pentameld crafted gear so it's only relevant once every 8 months or so when new top-tier crafted gear is released. You have a lot of time to get the materia needed for the next set.
  • You need a total of ~270 IXs and ~81 Xs. The price of buying that much straight from the MB on Tuesday is probably going to be 10M+ but you could pick them up for ~3M a couple a weeks ago. I've gotten more than half that amount from clusters, dungeons and spiritbond, and I don't bother doing hunts.
  • Overmelding is not an all-in proposition. You can pentameld an entire set, sure. You can also get a ring, chest and legs since they're the last to be replaced in Savage, or target a few slots where the crafted gear has good substats, etc.
  • As a healer in a static you typically get gear last and your crafted gear will see months of use on very hard fights. If both the raid and augmented tomestone pieces on a slot have Piety but the crafted doesn't then pentamelded is generally better, even, and will last you until the next tier.

Full pentamelds are not mandatory unless you're aiming for week 1 or 2 clears of the later Savage fights, in which case you almost certainly do need them. They're also not that hard to do with a little prep. Making your numbers bigger at precisely the 3 times per expansion where your numbers actually matter for beating fights is a pretty reasonable use of gil if you raid at all.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

admanb posted:

DelvUI gives you party frames with full mouseover functionality. I was slow to adopt it given how much I customize my WoW UI, but it's a gamechanger.

Holy poo poo. I had no idea this was a thing, this is amazing!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

admanb posted:

whaaaaaaaat, there’s visual mods for the HUD? i gotta get into modding

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like the song in the final zone. :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

ranking

top tier: aura female, lalafell, viera male
high tier: hrothgar, viera female, miqote male, miqote female, highlander male
mid tier: highlander female, elezen male, aura male, midlander male, midlander female, roe male
low tier: roe female, elezen female

wow

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Anyone have any advice for crafting the 5059 difficulty ishgard restoration crafts with endwalker melded gear? Wanted to get some dyes stockpiled

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's kind of wild how unpopular the elves are for a fantasy game. Did the cat girls and dragon girls eat their lunch or do their models just look too weird for people to find appealing?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Both

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Years late but w/e. Finally got off my rear end and did it.

Fun place honestly. Wish it wasn't so powercrept by people in +2 gear though. We killed AV before the adds even spawned.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

top tier: roe female, highlander female, aura female
high tier: miqote female, dunesfolk lalafell, elezen female, hopefully hrothgal
mid tier: hrothguy, viera female, miqote male, midlander female, roe male, plainsfolk lalafell
low tier: highlander male, elezen male, midlander male, viera male
embarrassing garbage tier: aura male

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Pollyanna posted:

top tier: roe female, highlander female, aura female
high tier: miqote female, dunesfolk lalafell, elezen female, hopefully hrothgal
mid tier: hrothguy, viera female, miqote male, midlander female, roe male, plainsfolk lalafell
low tier: highlander male, elezen male, midlander male, viera male
embarrassing garbage tier: aura male

This is more like it

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CJ posted:

It's kind of wild how unpopular the elves are for a fantasy game. Did the cat girls and dragon girls eat their lunch or do their models just look too weird for people to find appealing?

I've been Elezen since I started playing, with occasional forays into other races to try on some different looks. I always ended up going back. I have decided to try out Viera male for now and I'm actually really liking it, to the point where I may just be that from now on. I wanted to finish the MSQ with my Elezen, however, since he was the face of the story for so long.

I liked being tall and thin, but the crooked head on the men was always a bit of a bother and made some glamour items a little less appealing. I guess being primarily hatless as a bunny boy has its drawbacks, but I can at least still wear some head items.

I only play male characters, so I suppose if I was more inclined to play female avatars, I'd be more likely to try the more popular races, though I kind of prefer Highlander ladies, myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

I can play an elf in anything on the planet so I just kind of gravitate away from them by default. Same with Hyur.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

ranking

top tier: aura female, lalafell, viera male
high tier: hrothgar, viera female, miqote male, miqote female, highlander male
mid tier: highlander female, elezen male, aura male, midlander male, midlander female, roe male
low tier: roe female, elezen female

great list. no flaws.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wouldn't mind having the option to have Hilda ears as a middy, though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like my boring male midlander :colbert:

I'm not really sure why but for more story-driven games like this, if I'm only going to have one character, I tend to make a character who's kinda... middle of the road, I guess? I don't know why. Maybe my really unimaginative brain just thinks that "looks like the main character would look" or something, which admittedly doesn't make a lot of sense in a world like FFXIV's but hey.

The new stubble face helps, though. Adds just a little bit more interest to his look, I guess.

That's part of the reason I sometimes wish FFXIV let me easily have a fleet of alts like GW2. I like how my WoL looks and don't want to change him, but I would like to play around with a bunch of other character types, too, without having to shell out for a Fantasia to change back and forth every time.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/beefyidiot/status/1477674109655863299?s=20

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think all races should be opened up to trial players. It's really dumb that you can't pick Viera or Hrothgar at character creation. Especially in a game that discourages alts so much.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Years late but w/e. Finally got off my rear end and did it.

Fun place honestly. Wish it wasn't so powercrept by people in +2 gear though. We killed AV before the adds even spawned.

took a shot at sage healing in this run. 70SGE after running on 90SGE dopamine is a major step down, but it never felt like I was getting wrung out of resources. helped that the group had a healthy mix of vets and newbies who knew how to pay attention, but since nothing went wrong during the run I can't make a good judgement call besides "well nobody in my party died".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Race tier list:

Top tier: Lalafell tanks.
Mid Tier: Everything except Lalafell.
Bottom tier: Lalafell as everything but tanks.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

CJ posted:

I think all races should be opened up to trial players. It's really dumb that you can't pick Viera or Hrothgar at character creation. Especially in a game that discourages alts so much.

I sort of agree, although the fact that everyone gets a free fantasia upon completion of 2.0 somewhat makes up for it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mainwaring posted:

I sort of agree, although the fact that everyone gets a free fantasia upon completion of 2.0 somewhat makes up for it.

Having your character change into someone completely different 80 hours in is too immersion breaking when the game sells itself as a JRPG with character creation.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

honestly I don't know how fantasia addicts do it. most I can manage to do myself is jump between male and female lalafell on occasion, and I always go back to male on major patches for cutscenes cause that's what I've been for almost a decade now.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

HackensackBackpack posted:

I like the song in the final zone. :colbert:

It's a good song! And it's not Christian Rock (or maybe it is, I don't know what that sounds like) it's a rock ballad showtune.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

You get a free Fantasia for finishing 2.0.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Elezen are unpopular because their necks look weird

I bet if they just looked like the twins, but bigger, they'd be more popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

adhuin posted:

There is this third-party software called 'Spotify'.

Improves the game a lot.

there's also a plugin for the ff14 quicklauncher that lets you control spotify in game and auto stop/start it based on some game states