Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i own every Bionicle posted:

You can try doing a bigger bloom…like instead of 2x as much water as coffee, do 3x, this will bring out a little more acidity. But in general, natural coffees have less acidity.

Has anyone ever noticed a kind of grainy, corny taste with some coffees? I’m drinking my Peru right now that I just did with a French press, and I’m getting some of it. The best analogy is in unbuttered stale popcorn. I don’t get any of it when I do the same coffee with a V60. I’ve also tasted it with some tourist trap Costa Rican beans brewed using a cloth dripper that a coworker bought, and from a vending machine that grinds and brews (terrible) coffee on demand. Any idea what that’s from?

might just be something unpleasant about the bean itself (as you can definitely have coffee with nice grainy flavors), but can easily be a roast defect. to quote sweetmaria's

quote:

A roast-related flavor, sometimes used negatively, but it can also be a positive flavor attribute. Usually grain flavors indicate a too-light roast, stopped before 1st crack concluded, like under-developed grain flavor. It can also result from baking the coffee, long roasts at low temperatures.

i got this once from a fancy too-light roaster, several completely different coffees that all had a common flavor i could only think of as "plain cheerios"

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eke out posted:

might just be something unpleasant about the bean itself (as you can definitely have coffee with nice grainy flavors), but can easily be a roast defect. to quote sweetmaria's

i got this once from a fancy too-light roaster, several completely different coffees that all had a common flavor i could only think of as "plain cheerios"

That's probably Tetrahydropyridine (THP) which can be produced both by yeast and bacteria and created by Maillard reactions in the roasting. It's a common off flavor in brewing, but for coffee beans that are naturally fermented I wouldn't be surprised if this or the precursors were available when it gets to roasting. Probably a lot of places it could creep in, but it's not something understood completely. It absolutely ruins beer and wine for me when it's there, but not everyone can perceive it at lower levels.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
There was actually a video Hoffman did about trying a bunch of Nespresso pods and he did notice that they really liked putting "cereal" in their tasting notes.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Gunder posted:

The screws should all be tight. It sounds like the dial might not be properly calibrated. You should try following this video guide to reset the zero point on the dial. It's easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irzMw4UcTfY

I think when you reassembled it you probably turned the dial a few clicks too fine without realising. I think the sound you're hearing is the burrs touching. When properly calibrated they shouldn't touch.

It shouldn't be possible to do that since that piece stays assembled when removing the dial to unjam but it seems like it should fix the problem. I hope I didn't gently caress the burrs up running it like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

eke out posted:

I had one batch from a roaster I usually love that tasted like straight up romaine lettuce, which I assume was also from going too light?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

RichterIX posted:

I had one batch from a roaster I usually love that tasted like straight up romaine lettuce, which I assume was also from going too light?

Vegetal flavours are pretty common in under-roasted beans. I had a batch once that tasted like freshly mown grass. I was talking to the roaster and a few friends that had all bought from that batch about what an absolute bitch it was to get a good extraction from those beans and we'd all had the same experience, the roaster was like 'oops I might have under-done those a bit'.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Megabound posted:

Everyone together now: WD-40 is not a lubricant
I mean, it is, just not a very good one.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I finally took the dive and bought a Gaggia Classic Pro. I had previously gotten a Baratza Encore for a grinder, and it's great for the pour over and french press I usually make.

But I'm seeing now that apparently it's not great for esspresso?

Obviously it's not going to be as good as a dedicated espresso grinder, but can I get some basic use out of it to start off before diving in for a $300+ grinder?

I've seen I can get a better burr and that you can adjust the collar to be finer by changing some things with the cover off.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crain posted:

So I finally took the dive and bought a Gaggia Classic Pro. I had previously gotten a Baratza Encore for a grinder, and it's great for the pour over and french press I usually make.

But I'm seeing now that apparently it's not great for esspresso?

Obviously it's not going to be as good as a dedicated espresso grinder, but can I get some basic use out of it to start off before diving in for a $300+ grinder?

I've seen I can get a better burr and that you can adjust the collar to be finer by changing some things with the cover off.

Does the Gaggia come with a pressurized (double wall) basket? If so, that will help.

If not, there are people whom use the encore and it can work, just not that well. Like you can grind fine enough to choke the gaggia, but you’ll probably get frustrated trying to dose correctly given the useable amount of steps the encore provides for espresso.

You could look into a 1zpresso jx pro manual hand grinder for like $150 which would do a great job for espresso.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The GCP does come with a pressurized basket, so that's an option if the Encore is too frustrating to get dialed in. You will probably want to upgrade either way.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

nwin posted:

Does the Gaggia come with a pressurized (double wall) basket? If so, that will help.

If not, there are people whom use the encore and it can work, just not that well. Like you can grind fine enough to choke the gaggia, but you’ll probably get frustrated trying to dose correctly given the useable amount of steps the encore provides for espresso.

You could look into a 1zpresso jx pro manual hand grinder for like $150 which would do a great job for espresso.

Yeah it's supposed to come with one.

Guess I'll tinker with it best I can or go get preground to play around with until I can get a proper grinder.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Upgraded burr and stepless mod should get you decently far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

todays v60 finished at 4:10, 40 seconds over Hoffmann’s endpoint, but it tastes a bit sour this time. I think I am at the point with the grind size where this is 100% about me having to learn how to pour still. the bloom was perfect this time, so now I need to focus more on finding the balance between too aggressive and too careful in the next phase

my wife enjoyed her cup though, so at least I didn’t brew something undrinkable

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 2, 2022

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
With all this talk about pour heights, are there any designs out there motion systems where you can automate a matrix of pouring techniques? It really seems like this is about repeatability and a machine would be better at running really repeatably through a matrix of variables. I know there are "pourover robots" but what's out there as more of a development platform?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ulvir posted:

todays v60 finished at 4:10, 40 seconds over Hoffmann’s endpoint, but it tastes a bit sour this time. I think I am at the point with the grind size where this is 100% about me having to learn how to pour still. the bloom was perfect this time, so now I need to focus more on finding the balance between too aggressive and too careful in the next phase

my wife enjoyed her cup though, so at least I didn’t brew something undrinkable

The pouring doesn't require much technique. If you watch the scott rao video he's barely even paying attention. Just grind coarser because 4:10 is too long for one cup with the v60. Is the brew coming out in a steady stream or is it dripping?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I can understand the desire to control all the controllable variables to get the cup of coffee to the best place possible but a lot of this stuff seems very minor compared to the biggest variable, i.e. the person tasting the coffee.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I think brewing a cup of coffee then finding the right person for it is going to be more difficult then adjusting grind size to make it suit you.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Having a crisis of confidence because nothing I do will make me be the person this cup of coffee wants me to be

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The pouring doesn't require much technique. If you watch the scott rao video he's barely even paying attention. Just grind coarser because 4:10 is too long for one cup with the v60. Is the brew coming out in a steady stream or is it dripping?

it’s a two-cup, 500g/ml of water and 30g of coffee. the water is coming down out of the brew pretty steadily and there’s no real clogging

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mrenda posted:

I can understand the desire to control all the controllable variables to get the cup of coffee to the best place possible but a lot of this stuff seems very minor compared to the biggest variable, i.e. the person tasting the coffee.

I feel like the other person will also enjoy it more the better it tastes, and the more I can control (or get the illusion of controlling) the minute variables the better the coffee has tasted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ulvir posted:

it’s a two-cup, 500g/ml of water and 30g of coffee. the water is coming down out of the brew pretty steadily and there’s no real clogging

Ah ok that sounds pretty spot on then. My only suggestion is to let the coffee cool for at least a minute before drinking because I think it tastes so much better.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Another variable that is as if not more important than even technique is water. If you are not sure yours is right, add a packet of third wave water mix to a gallon of distilled water. It’s expensive to do every time, but it will eliminate that variable. Or you can get a Zero pitcher and make your own super filtered water and add Third Wave packets to that. Remember that if your tap water fails the Bechdel test you need a third wave packet, but if you add too much it will radicalize.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

TheDarkFlame posted:

There was actually a video Hoffman did about trying a bunch of Nespresso pods and he did notice that they really liked putting "cereal" in their tasting notes.

Having just got a Nespresso Pixie for Christmas from my wife, I watched this whole video last night and yeah I think the cereal tasting note tally was up to like 9 of 32 different pods. Sadly, he did not like very many of the pods, but I guess thats not too surprising as I imagine his palette is quite advanced. I think he did mention he enjoyed the Ethiopia and Nicaragua pods quite a bit but that was about it (I tried both this morning and they are quite good).

Otherwise, though I'm really happy with the gift I don't want to invest too much effort into an actual espresso machine at the moment and it does seem to produce fairly tasty drinks combined with with the Capresso Froth Pro my wife got me as well.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Yeah if there's an accepted water composition it definitely seems like the next step would be to quantify water temperature when it hits the bed, angle, velocity, flow rate, etc and build a machine that can sweep these variables one at a time. Get a hundred test cells built and you might be able to test like a thousand cups an hour and home in on something.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

i own every Bionicle posted:

Another variable that is as if not more important than even technique is water. If you are not sure yours is right, add a packet of third wave water mix to a gallon of distilled water. It’s expensive to do every time, but it will eliminate that variable. Or you can get a Zero pitcher and make your own super filtered water and add Third Wave packets to that. Remember that if your tap water fails the Bechdel test you need a third wave packet, but if you add too much it will radicalize.

For a tenth of the price of third wave you can buy enough Epsom salts and sodium bicarbonate to make hundereds of gallons of whatever water you please. https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-redux/. Add another $50 for am RO filter you can screw into your tap and you'll also have extremely cheap deionised water.

This comes with the added bonus of eliminating scale build up in your machine as your hardness isn't coming from calcium.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TheDarkFlame posted:

nothing I do will make me be the person this cup of coffee wants me to be

New thread title pls mods

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mr. Mambold posted:

Completely agreeing, that is an *amazing* post

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Megabound posted:

For a tenth of the price of third wave you can buy enough Epsom salts and sodium bicarbonate to make hundereds of gallons of whatever water you please. https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-redux/. Add another $50 for am RO filter you can screw into your tap and you'll also have extremely cheap deionised water.

This comes with the added bonus of eliminating scale build up in your machine as your hardness isn't coming from calcium.

Thank you for this. I was sure those packets were overpriced for what is in them (not a ton of money in the grand scheme of things), but hadn't bothered to track down a real guide.

silvergoose posted:

Completely agreeing, that is an *amazing* post

:yeah:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yes

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I dunno if you're all being silly but I was talking about stuff like if you've just downed a shot of sambuca the coffee might not taste great but if you've smoked a big fat taste enhancing doobie it'll taste amazing.

Similarly, hunger is the best sauce, etc. but what if you modify the grind on hunger to just a little peckish while it's still an hour to dinner.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yo, used to roast for a long time using an old behmor, but since moved into a space that makes smoke a headache.

What's the deal with the ikawa home and kaffelogic? After some time away from roasting, I absolutely want to avoid as much manual tweaking and fiddling as possible. I will only be drinking 240g a week, so the small batch size is fine.

It kind of seems like the internet prefers the kaffelogic but the ikawa is cool too?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Yo, used to roast for a long time using an old behmor, but since moved into a space that makes smoke a headache.

What's the deal with the ikawa home and kaffelogic? After some time away from roasting, I absolutely want to avoid as much manual tweaking and fiddling as possible. I will only be drinking 240g a week, so the small batch size is fine.

It kind of seems like the internet prefers the kaffelogic but the ikawa is cool too?

ikawas are beloved but mostly because of the ($5k or whatever) pro model that's widely used for sample roasting. the home version has a couple big differences, primarily
- $30/mo subscription to use the "advanced" editor so you can make your own roasting profiles instead of only using the set ikawa ones
- only a thermocouple at the inlet where hot air is coming out, not on the beans or at the exhaust (the pro uses one on the exhaust). so if you are making your own profile you can't really base it on how the beans respond to heat, like you can with the pro

there's a big home-barista thread with a lot more info, people like them and all, but it seems like a big hassle to me because it neuters a core feature and then wants you to pay them indefinitely to use a (even more limited) version of that feature -- or, alternatively, buy coffee straight from them at a big markup and the profile will be made for you

kaffelogics seem to be basically the same feature set ikawa pro, in the sense of being able to measure bean temp and not being locked into a pay-to-roast subscription model, but they're not out in 120v for the US until later this year and i think it costs like 50% more than the home

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 3, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

eke out posted:

ikawas are beloved but mostly because of the ($5k or whatever) pro model that's widely used for sample roasting. the home version has a couple big differences, primarily
- $30/mo subscription to use the "advanced" editor so you can make your own roasting profiles instead of only using the set ikawa ones
- only a thermocouple at the inlet where hot air is coming out, not on the beans or at the exhaust (the pro uses one on the exhaust). so if you are making your own profile you can't really base it on how the beans respond to heat, like you can with the pro

there's a big home-barista thread with a lot more info, people like them and all, but it seems like a big hassle to me because it neuters a core feature and then wants you to pay them indefinitely to use a (even more limited) version of that feature -- or, alternatively, buy coffee straight from them at a big markup and the profile will be made for you

kaffelogics seem to be basically the same feature set ikawa pro, in the sense of being able to measure bean temp and not being locked into a pay-to-roast subscription model, but they're not out in 120v for the US until later this year and i think it costs like 50% more than the home

Thanks for the info.

Wait, the 120v version of the KL will cost 50% more than the 220v version or am I misunderstanding?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for the info.

Wait, the 120v version of the KL will cost 50% more than the 220v version or am I misunderstanding?

no i mean they're listed at like $1400 in the UK, i am assuming when it comes out in the US it'll cost at least the same -- and ikawa homes are 970 or whatever

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

eke out posted:

no i mean they're listed at like $1400 in the UK, i am assuming when it comes out in the US it'll cost at least the same -- and ikawa homes are 970 or whatever

That's 1400 nzd if I'm looking at the KL site right, $950 usd

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Google Butt posted:

That's 1400 nzd if I'm looking at the KL site right, $950 usd

It is £940 but I assume that includes VAT so that is what might be causing difference in price.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ah yeah

anyways, it's close enough in price that it feels like the KL is a clear winner to me. but it might be a different story for people who don't want to gently caress around as much with profiles and just want to push button, get roasted coffee

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

eke out posted:

ah yeah

anyways, it's close enough in price that it feels like the KL is a clear winner to me. but it might be a different story for people who don't want to gently caress around as much with profiles and just want to push button, get roasted coffee

Good point, if it ends up both prices being equally I'll probably go for the KL.

In the meantime I might look at some cheap options for roasting outside with my butane burner, as I don't have an outlet where I'll be roasting.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Got a moccamaster KBGT for christmas, using a baratza virtuoso that's about 10 years old, using a rotation of beans that have been roasted within the last week from a local roaster, moccamaster brand filters, and been having some issues with the filter overflowing in the basket. I need to stop it a couple times during the brew when brewing a full pot. I bumped the grind up to a 20 and it's starting to taste thin, while still needing to stop the brew a couple times to prevent overflowing.

wtf is happening im so confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got a Starbucks gift card so I bought their Veranda blonde roast and it's surprisingly a pleasant if a bit bland coffee. Very light brown color and no bitterness whatsoever but also unremarkable in tasting notes. I imagine that Baskin Robbins coffee flavor tastes like this.