Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Doesn't valve have a 'parallel working environment' where there are no managers, just a bunch of rudderless cliques being carried by the dota/csgo devs, and of course the steam team

i think we're so far beyond the point where reporting about that maybe being the case first came out that i don't know if anyone has any remote clue as to what the hell happens at valve anymore

maybe nothing even exists in the valve building. maybe it exists entirely as a tax shelter and we have collectively hallucinated steam for a couple decades and some change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i i don't know if anyone has any remote clue as to what the hell happens at valve anymore

you ever see Scrooge mcduck

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

haveblue posted:

Live service games are now effectively episodic games, they just come out as patches instead of new executables

Telltale also did pretty well for itself

Episodic development is just a bad fit for SP campaigns using rapidly evolving cutting-edge tech

Telltale went horribly bankrupt mid development.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe nothing even exists in the valve building. maybe it exists entirely as a tax shelter and we have collectively hallucinated steam for a couple decades and some change

That right there is Valve. Now let's talk about Valve. Can we talk about Valve, please? I've been dying to talk about Valve with people all day. Okay?

"Gaben", this name keeps coming up over and over again. Every day, somebody's talking about "Gaben". Gaben! Gaben! I look at the news, and it's full of Gaben!

So I say to myself, "I gotta find this guy. I gotta go up to Seattle and ask him about Half-Life 3! Otherwise, how's he gonna know that people want to know about Half-Life 3?"

So I go out to Seattle and I knock on Valve's door and what do I find out? What do I find out? There is no Gaben. The man does not exist, okay?

So I decide, "Oh poo poo, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper." There's no Gaben? You gotta be kidding me! The news is full of Gaben!

All right. So I start marchin' my way down to Valve HR and I knock on their door and I say, "Carol! Carol! I gotta talk to you about Gaben!" And when I open the door, what do I find?

There's not a single goddamned desk in that office! There...is...no...Carol in HR. People, Gaben's been made up! Valve is a goddamned ghost town!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was playing Alyx again today, I can only do VR for an hour or two tops but it’s absolutely incredible and one of the coolest things I’ve ever played. It’s literal decades ahead of other games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJBuddy posted:

Telltale went horribly bankrupt mid development.

Sure, while working on their 13th episodic game, six years after adopting that model. They overextended themselves and made dumb decisions but it wasn't inevitable and several of those episodic games are very well regarded

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah it seemed like every single company went wild for it at the same time and every single company failed to actually put out anything complete or satisfying or well-priced with the concept.

I mean the Strong Bad game was pretty good

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Doesn't valve have a 'parallel working environment' where there are no managers, just a bunch of rudderless cliques being carried by the dota/csgo devs, and of course the steam team

Pretty much, it's the dumbest thing imaginable

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was playing Alyx again today, I can only do VR for an hour or two tops but it’s absolutely incredible and one of the coolest things I’ve ever played. It’s literal decades ahead of other games.

It’s cool but I honestly preferred RE4 VR as a VR game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s cool but I honestly preferred RE4 VR as a VR game.

Haven’t played it but it looks amazing. RE4 is in my top…3 games ever so I’d love to try it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Haven’t played it but it looks amazing. RE4 is in my top…3 games ever so I’d love to try it.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. It'll definitely be my first VR purchase. I'm the same as you; RE4 is definitely among my favourite games of all time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Sure, while working on their 13th episodic game, six years after adopting that model. They overextended themselves and made dumb decisions but it wasn't inevitable and several of those episodic games are very well regarded

It pretty much was inevitable, their game design wore out quickly and interested waned because of that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe nothing even exists in the valve building.
I mean jokes aside they're probably all WFH at this point, and home might be in new zealand or wherever.

Something real weird would have to happen to get valve to release a new big game, it doesn't feel like the market encourages them to do so. If they'd been doing yearly releases then it would, but no one expects it, so it would be an uphill climb from here anyway.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Sounds a dream job to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Probably frustrating if you come in hoping to work on projects that actually ship. Lots of creative roles won’t let you use any work that isn’t released on your CV so it can be hard showing past work to prospective employers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

when former valve people have talked about the culture it's been along the lines of "officially nobody is the boss but everyone knows the old guard are the bosses and you're getting fired in short order if you don't make them happy"

so it's the worst of both worlds, where your boss is only your boss when it's convenient for them (to push you around) and not when it makes work for them

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure Valve employees were making yet another trading card game because they were really passionate about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s a miracle Alyx both:
Shipped and
Is amazing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

repiv posted:

when former valve people have talked about the culture it's been along the lines of "officially nobody is the boss but everyone knows the old guard are the bosses and you're getting fired in short order if you don't make them happy"

so it's the worst of both worlds, where your boss is only your boss when it's convenient for them (to push you around) and not when it makes work for them

other than gabe is anyone even around that counts as old guard anymore

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

haveblue posted:

My understanding from the articles around the time of their bankruptcy is they were using the new deals to pay off the labor of the old ones and get them finished. Hence why they had incomplete titles that were supposed to be funded titles.

I adored the Telltale games. This isn't a commentary on their writers and their stories, but I don't think their business model is likely to be one that people would want to emulate, and that's sad because they hired a ton of narrative designers and were held up highly as a model that valued those roles highly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

site posted:

other than gabe is anyone even around that counts as old guard anymore
There's still a bunch of dudes from the Half-Life 1 days, IIRC. I know Robin Walker and Dario Casali were handling a bunch of the press interviews for Alyx.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d love to know what they do all day. I want that job.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

SOunds pretty badass. Death to the PMC!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Kins posted:

There's still a bunch of dudes from the Half-Life 1 days, IIRC. I know Robin Walker and Dario Casali were handling a bunch of the press interviews for Alyx.

Unrelated but apparently Dario's mom is the creator of that comic strip about two naked eight year olds who are married.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

My understanding from the articles around the time of their bankruptcy is they were using the new deals to pay off the labor of the old ones and get them finished. Hence why they had incomplete titles that were supposed to be funded titles.

I adored the Telltale games. This isn't a commentary on their writers and their stories, but I don't think their business model is likely to be one that people would want to emulate, and that's sad because they hired a ton of narrative designers and were held up highly as a model that valued those roles highly.

Yeah, this is my memory as well. Only I think Walking Dead season 1?2? And Minecraft (?) made back the money, the rest were basically taking the upfront sales to support the next but at the end forever in the red.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The thing about Telltale's episodic games is that they actually were episodic, and it was a genre that was a pretty good fit for that paradigm -- a genre that was basically dead before, but they managed to resurrect it, so they definitely did something right. They chose the most story-centric genre and combined it with a delivery method that had a proven track record elsewhere.

It didn't work nearly as well when applied to a more gameplay-focused genre (where the progression is more defined by accumulation and increasing complexity which frustratingly gets reset after each episode), and done in a way that felt less like complete chapters and more like just shorter, unfinished versions of a bigger thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think the point being made is it also didn't work for Telltale for the most part as it was financially ruinous. The new model is to release the complete title and if you want episodes, make them sub segments of the finished, complete, game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

https://twitter.com/defilerphil47/status/1477142589811957761/photo/1

i wonder if this guy tweaked the barrel so he can fire loving sideways like the doom 3 shotgun

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

I think the point being made is it also didn't work for Telltale for the most part as it was financially ruinous. The new model is to release the complete title and if you want episodes, make them sub segments of the finished, complete, game.

I would say the folks at Dontnod seem to be a little more stable making episodic narrative games, so maybe there's a path to success.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the existence of team tnt (made tnt evilution and a bunch of other doom stuff) and tnt team (made some Build mods and 'Nam) is very confusing

as far as I can tell these are not the same people but it's fuckin weird there's two almost exactly the same named prominent modding groups, one for each side of the big fps 2.5D engine split

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

I would say the folks at Dontnod seem to be a little more stable making episodic narrative games, so maybe there's a path to success.

Even Dontnod has been scaling back the number of "episodes" their games contain from 5->3 in addition to full singleplayer complete titles

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Unrelated but apparently Dario's mom is the creator of that comic strip about two naked eight year olds who are married.

Holy poo poo. At least half of the Plutonia Experiment wouldn't exist if she hadn't ignored the moral implications of artificial insemination following the death of the partner. Dario might have worked on some of the best games ever made but Milo's a loving miracle baby

Also they turned the comic into a wii game i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma2XeLQgPAo

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

treat posted:

Holy poo poo. At least half of the Plutonia Experiment wouldn't exist if she hadn't ignored the moral implications of artificial insemination following the death of the partner. Dario might have worked on some of the best games ever made but Milo's a loving miracle baby

Also they turned the comic into a wii game i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma2XeLQgPAo

Reading this is what I imagine a stroke feels like

E: not that your writing is bad, but I'm immediately and suddenly confused and I recognize many of not all of these words but nothing makes sense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the maker of that comic was my mom I'd probably invent plutonia, too

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

MJBuddy posted:

i don't think they ever really did it by choice. they've been pretty frank in interviews that they had to shop LiS around a lot to find a publisher, most people thought a game with female leads was dead weight and wanted them (or at least max) changed to boys.

the publisher they ended up with was like 60% supportive of the female leads but the episodic thing for life is strange was bet hedging.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/sunset_city_rpg/status/1477468508086849537

This looking neato.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

MJBuddy posted:

Reading this is what I imagine a stroke feels like

E: not that your writing is bad, but I'm immediately and suddenly confused and I recognize many of not all of these words but nothing makes sense

I went down a rabbit hole googling poo poo and might have left out some important context https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Casali

The story behind that "Love Is" comic is really sweet and incredibly tragic with Milo Casali being born 16 months after his father died and the religious right & Vatican making a stink over the morality of it. Milo was a member of Team TNT and created Plutonia with his brother Dario Casali, who worked on Half-Life and still works at Valve today. Both their names on wikipedia just link to the page for Final Doom.

If those naked 8 year old's hadn't been married, Plutonia wouldn't exist and the subsequent history of Doom mapping would probably look a lot different today without it's influence.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the “love is” cherubs are adults who have their own kids and get horny for each other

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dario should make another WAD. I’m sure he could work on it on the clock at Valve and no one would notice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know I and some other in the thread have lamented that there wasn’t a sourceport for the Sith Engine. Well turns out there’s an in progress engine recreation and it’s in a very workable state. Let me introduce you to OpenJKDF2. I’ve made it to level 8 without any major bugs. The only time it’s crashes was when I tried to activate Max a second time in Barons Hed. As a side note this is first time I’ve actually seen Max in one of my playthroughs despite knowing about it for roughly 20 years. Even in an alpha state it runs far better than I’ve seen it run since Windows 98, surpassing the Gog version.

It’s also been made to work in WebAssembly so you can play one of the demo missions in your browser. Works pretty well too, which is just amazing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I know I and some other in the thread have lamented that there wasn’t a sourceport for the Sith Engine. Well turns out there’s an in progress engine recreation and it’s in a very workable state. Let me introduce you to OpenJKDF2. I’ve made it to level 8 without any major bugs. The only time it’s crashes was when I tried to activate Max a second time in Barons Hed. As a side note this is first time I’ve actually seen Max in one of my playthroughs despite knowing about it for roughly 20 years. Even in an alpha state it runs far better than I’ve seen it run since Windows 98, surpassing the Gog version.

It’s also been made to work in WebAssembly so you can play one of the demo missions in your browser. Works pretty well too, which is just amazing to me.

So this runs above 47 FPS? If so, wow, looking forward to a full DF series replay this year!