Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Went to check the mail.

Got a summons for jury duty.

Like lol are you kidding me. During a pandemic.

I wrote them stating since they cannot guarantee my health and safety from COVID I will not be responding to their request, and that if it indeed is a virtual only affair then they can contact me, otherwise they are irresponsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Went to check the mail.

Got a summons for jury duty.

Like lol are you kidding me. During a pandemic.

I wrote them stating since they cannot guarantee my health and safety from COVID I will not be responding to their request, and that if it indeed is a virtual only affair then they can contact me, otherwise they are irresponsible.
I get it, but this may not work out especially well for you. I hope you're ok with potentially eating a fine or worse.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Trapick posted:

I get it, but this may not work out especially well for you. I hope you're ok with potentially eating a fine or worse.

I'm obese. So is dying/long COVID

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So you're definitely okay with eating a fine.

I'm sorry, the joke wrote itself

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Trapick posted:

Yeah your chances would have been a lot better throwing it in the trash and pleading ignorance of its existence. They're not "guaranteeing safety" for nurses and doctors either but they're not striking.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

infernal machines posted:

So you're definitely okay with eating a fine.

I'm sorry, the joke wrote itself

Ho ho, I have indeed shambled into that one.

And yeah, my life is worth way more than a $500 fine.

EDIT:

large hands posted:

Yeah your chances would have been a lot better throwing it in the trash and pleading ignorance of its existence. They're not "guaranteeing safety" for nurses and doctors either but they're not striking.

I am in healthcare, so I am woefully aware of that fact.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Ho ho, I have indeed shambled into that one.

And yeah, my life is worth way more than a $500 fine.

EDIT:

I got one about a year ago and ignored it, nothing happened. But we were moving soon so I had plausible deniability.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Then you have my sincere thanks, but you still probably hosed yourself over. I don't think they'll haul you in or anything but if they gave you a time and place to show up and you don't show they might. Your best bet is to show up in full ppe and voice your protest to the judge, they will almost certainly dismiss you.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

large hands posted:

Then you have my sincere thanks, but you still probably hosed yourself over. I don't think they'll haul you in or anything but if they gave you a time and place to show up and you don't show they might. Your best bet is to show up in full ppe and voice your protest to the judge, they will almost certainly dismiss you.

And that my friend...is Plan B, for sure.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MNIMWA posted:

I guy I know, who's a wealthy realtor in the Ottawa area, has recently started posting a bunch of vague, "2022 is going to be the year that people wake up and stand up to tyranny" type stuff

Wealthy land traders tend to do GREAT during revolutions!

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

The “revolution” these qanon types fantasize about is purely cultural and had no class/economic analysis unless the wealthy elites in question are liberal politicians, Jews, Hollywood actors and other minorities.

Sadly if the revolution is launched by the right, the petit bourgeois landlords and real estate agents will not only be spared, but idealized.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

large hands posted:

Gee I wish we had some of them concentration camps

luckily there's a few different options here in north america

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

large hands posted:

. Your best bet is to show up in full ppe and voice your protest to the judge, they will almost certainly dismiss you.

This reminds me, I need to find some performative Bane-rear end mask to wear in case my employer decides to try to get us back in the office again.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

This reminds me, I need to find some performative Bane-rear end mask to wear in case my employer decides to try to get us back in the office again.

A p100 half-face respirator would do nicely for this

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Who's ready for ONTARIO LOCKDOWN ROUND THREEEEEEEE

lol school ain't going back on Wednesday, The Coward Douglas Ford can eat my entire whole rear end.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 3, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Like, we all know he's going to pussy out eventually, he just has to draaaaaaaag it out as long as loving possible.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah Ford is definitely going to delay more (the rumour is two weeks) to let more kids get vaccinated. I can't imagine how stressful it'd be to have kids during this horseshit.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I got pulled for Jury Duty the beginning of last year, and it was cancelled two weeks later. The odds you’ll even have to go see someone are real small thanks to plea deals etc.

My uncle-in-law got pulled this year. He’s dead, though, so that’s his excuse. :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MA-Horus posted:

Who's ready for ONTARIO LOCKDOWN ROUND THREEEEEEEE

lol school ain't going back on Wednesday, The Coward Douglas Ford can eat my entire whole rear end.

That's mean, at least let him go splitsies with Kenney when he eats my entire whole rear end.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah Ford is definitely going to delay more (the rumour is two weeks) to let more kids get vaccinated. I can't imagine how stressful it'd be to have kids during this horseshit.

It seems like all the Premiers are staring wistfully at their framed photos of the Macleans "THE RESISTANCE" cover story while waiting for somebody else to make the first move.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

large hands posted:

You can look up articles about this, he's at very little risk of any problem. In Ontario they've had upwards of 40% not show up and no one gets fined. It's not worth it for them to prosecute contempt most of the time.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

InfiniteZero posted:

He's not just a trader, he's also a landlord! But yeah, he's fallen into that spirituality/hustle mindset side of things into whatever he's in to now. Basically this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspirituality

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Coward Doug Ford says to expect an expidential salami of new COVID cases.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

McGavin posted:

The Coward Doug Ford says to expect an expidential salami of new COVID cases.

The Coward Douglas Ford can suck my whole hog

This is not a bit on my part. I hate this fat gently caress more than I've ever hated a politician.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
They’ve got a fan pointed at the podium so he doesn’t overheat and get sweaty. I could see the next guy’s hair blowing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fornax Disaster posted:

They’ve got a fan pointed at the podium so he doesn’t overheat and get sweaty. I could see the next guy’s hair blowing.

Fat gently caress looked like he was about to keel over

Good

Better late than never.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MA-Horus posted:

This is not a bit on my part. I hate this fat gently caress more than I've ever hated a politician.

I'd say I agree, but Jason Kenney exists.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fornax Disaster posted:

That was him with anti-sweat measures? He still looked wet as poo poo.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
So - who’s got two thumbs and just had his wedding cancelled for the second consecutive year?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

That was him with anti-sweat measures? He still looked wet as poo poo.

Big wet premier.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

So - who’s got two thumbs and just had his wedding cancelled for the second consecutive year?

Yeah I've got a number of friends in the same boat. It's loving stressful and expensive as hell.

My best friend just had to delay his for the third time. January seemed like such a safe time to reschedule a wedding to back in June.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

He has to walk up some stairs to get to the room where he does his late announcements.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

St. Dogbert posted:

drat cancel culture is out of control.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

St. Dogbert posted:

Know that feel. We went ahead with ours in Aug 2020, but went from ~100 people to immediate family only, were within restrictions, and everyone got tested first. Still going to do a reception once this is all over, and that part's been cancelled twice :v:

If we have to cancel a 3rd time I'm very close to saying gently caress it for the big party aspect.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah I've got a number of friends in the same boat. It's loving stressful and expensive as hell.

My best friend just had to delay his for the third time. January seemed like such a safe time to reschedule a wedding to back in June.

It is very stressful, which is why we’re not rescheduling again - we’ll have a quickie ceremony in a park on Saturday, and that will be the end of it. We don’t see the point of re-planning everything and paying out of pocket to make sure all our vendors are booked and to invite everyone again, only to have it cancelled in a year’s time because Ford still won’t have taken any of the steps recommended by public health to make things safer (those may cost money, after all - locking down doesn’t cost him a thing!).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

It is very stressful, which is why we’re not rescheduling again - we’ll have a quickie ceremony in a park on Saturday, and that will be the end of it. We don’t see the point of re-planning everything and paying out of pocket to make sure all our vendors are booked and to invite everyone again, only to have it cancelled in a year’s time because Ford still won’t have taken any of the steps recommended by public health to make things safer (those may cost money, after all - locking down doesn’t cost him a thing!).

In my buddy's case they have so much locked up in non-refundable deposits they can't really afford not to have it eventually.

It's loving nuts what venues alone demand just to book.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm lucky I got married in the before times, but then my wife and I had our first kid in January 2020. :shepicide:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

MNIMWA posted:

I guy I know, who's a wealthy realtor in the Ottawa area, has recently started posting a bunch of vague, "2022 is going to be the year that people wake up and stand up to tyranny" type stuff, and talking about how it's martial law in Canada. Just two weeks ago or so, he was reposting Rogan stuff to his instagram and I thought, jeez I hope this doesn't mean anything sinister. It's really gross and disconcerting to see how quickly the pipeline can suck people in, and I'm not sure how to (or if I even should) try to deradicalize this guy.

The other fun thing is he's posting this from the beach in Mexico, so it's vacation shots interspersed with QAnon adjacent crap

There's some sort of Realtor -> Bitcoin/NFT -> Anti-vaxx pipeline going on. Seen in amongst realtor Vancouver RE bulls too.

I dunno maybe there's some thing where for a while they were a rare RE bull amidst so many calls of a housing bubble, and in 2020/2021 they've seen housing rip and their side interest in Bitcoin, which media also says is a scam, also do great. Now they think they're some sort of outsider genius, and are skeptical of all the other things that the mainstream is saying. Mainstream media was wrong about Re/bitcoin right?

Or maybe they're just stupid and realtor is a profession for stupid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If I were to baselessly speculate, I'd say they're at the intersection of greed, hubris, and stupidity and just naturally sort of fall into these things. Being fundamentally incapable of incredulity or self reflection probably doesn't hurt either.