Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

People finding Sarkeesian's Letterboxd has been a gold mine. Insane the elevated position she got because she learned to point at things and go 'that's sexist' with absolutely zero media literacy.

The thing that annoys me about the IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE review is the idea that the protagonists are unimportant and that this is somehow a problem for the movie. Art, about regular people? Who would ever go see that.

https://twitter.com/The24thFrame/status/1477491413097095169?t=XKRfUI2HIHocS3QorhaFdA&s=19

Yardbomb posted:

As much as I dislike people dragging her up again and again for all eternity, this one's just bizarre too

"One mousey pawn"

Who people go on to point out, had the brass balls to just not play Chigurh's game straight up.

Also oh yeah that was bigger than expected.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"The othering of villainy and 'crime'"

[The crime is Anton Chigurh putting holes in people with a suppressed shotgun]

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh my goodddddd

So insufferable and deluded lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hahahaha oh my god

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

#brave

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ahahahaha

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Here's what critical about her comment; she won't link to those reviews. She isn't highlighting those voices.

I've looked for those reviews, since she's been unhelpful, but the biggest complaint about it has been that Riz Ahmed can hear and so it was a bad thing to cast him. The very few reviews I have seen from deaf people seem to highlight that it gets a lot right about and is sensitive while being realistic.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Yardbomb posted:

As much as I dislike people dragging her up again and again for all eternity, this one's just bizarre too

"One mousey pawn"

Who people go on to point out, had the brass balls to just not play Chigurh's game straight up.

Also oh yeah that was bigger than expected.

i wasn't gonna say anything about her Opinions for similar reasons, but then i read this loving travesty of a review, jesus loving christ

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is it actually her letterboxd account? Those are some bad takes about movies, drat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
[opens thread]

[sees Anita Sarkeesian letterboxd reviews no one asked for]

Hey, remember when I said this thread sucked?

[closes thread]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's pretty fun to laugh about really dumb reviews, it's the reviewer thread!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

[opens thread]

[closes thread]

You’re missing good content

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

[opens thread]

[closes thread]

Eh, it's fine for a chuckle or two, she is a media critic and apparently mods are fine with it. Hopefully it doesn't become a moral high ground discussion about the xenophobia of white liberal feminism.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

lmbo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrVenkman posted:

People finding Sarkeesian's Letterboxd has been a gold mine. Insane the elevated position she got because she learned to point at things and go 'that's sexist' with absolutely zero media literacy.

The thing that annoys me about the IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE review is the idea that the protagonists are unimportant and that this is somehow a problem for the movie. Art, about regular people? Who would ever go see that.

https://twitter.com/The24thFrame/status/1477491413097095169?t=XKRfUI2HIHocS3QorhaFdA&s=19

i am amused because i loving called this for a long time by just reading her twitter and her various reviews that while she did some genuinely good poo poo, she was always weirdly prudish and sex negative with lots of weird white lady "woke" poo poo hangups. least Carolyn is cool and does good streams. like again, bully for her for going the poo poo she went through. but poo poo like this and her mandalorian meltdown make me lol that her private reviews are amusing as gently caress.

DrVenkman posted:

Here's what critical about her comment; she won't link to those reviews. She isn't highlighting those voices.

I've looked for those reviews, since she's been unhelpful, but the biggest complaint about it has been that Riz Ahmed can hear and so it was a bad thing to cast him. The very few reviews I have seen from deaf people seem to highlight that it gets a lot right about and is sensitive while being realistic.

that would take actual effort though. she deems it nice enough to SAY she cares and use their opinions as a cudgel and a justification. like half the "allies" of folks with physical issues.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 2, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

For me it's going to be a mild chuckle at some bad takes, and a long weary sigh at seeing some of the worst people in the world now loudly farting that they are somehow vindicated.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

For me it's going to be a mild chuckle at some bad takes, and a long weary sigh at seeing some of the worst people in the world now loudly farting that they are somehow vindicated.

They'd think they were vindicated no matter what. It's impossible for them to ever believe they're wrong.

The thing that made the backlash against Sarkeesian so strange was how mild and normal her takes were, yet somehow they got talked about as an insane radical critic looking too deeply into things.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dias posted:

Is it actually her letterboxd account? Those are some bad takes about movies, drat.

Uh, I'm actually seconding this question: It seems kind of weird, given the history of her internet infamy, that a public figure like Anita Sarkeesian would open a Letterboxd account under her real name and leave a bunch of two-to-three paragraph reviews on a bunch of movies?

Do we have any sort of outside confirmation this is actually her account and not the work of someone who still has her living rent free in their head? These reviews honestly read way too much like a parody of what Sarkeesian's detractors think she sounds like

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1355779026846056452?t=KmsnWtcZNyw8UT6s7kiSmQ&s=09

laugh away lads

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If anyone else has been spacing out during this discussion here's a new Crowbcat video on Back 4 Blood. I always enjoy how he lets buggy games speak for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdRLNUGmFC8

Also it's been a while since i've dipped into Left 4 Dead 2 but holy poo poo i forgot just how gory it is.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 2, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DrVenkman posted:

This makes me want to see In The Mood For Love Even More, honestly (and Chungking Express, though the info about the original cuts/ Blu-Rays disappearing is depressing. :smith:)

This reminds me of something, though:

Jamie Faith posted:

So Ashley Lynch made this bad take (as she does)

https://twitter.com/ThatsQuayQuay/status/1397745848839131137?s=19

So everyone started dunking on her but who decides to defend her with the absolute worst take? Movie Bob of course.

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1397967095963521030

[...]

Not exactly the same, but in a similar vein.

The follow-up tweet:
https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1356131807431823364

'don't expect much.'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BigRed0427 posted:

Everyone just log the gently caress off Twitter.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

[opens thread]

[closes thread]

No, this was why this thread was originally invented actually.

I remember.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Stumbled on a rather nice little channel, Too Many Tapes. He likes to collect old, obscure VHS shows, and does old school TGWTG-style riff/reviews, just more fun and tolerable than those used to be. There's a lot of weird Christian kids shows, weird secular kids shows, and the occasional random video essay. Pretty great if like something light and fun but not totally brainless.

Here's a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zccnHICrGA

He only has a thousandish subs, so it'd be nice to get him more attention.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I knew Sarkissian's arrogant vibe ticked me off the wrong way back in 2013. Glad to be extremely validated nine years later that she was the wrong person to lead a crusade.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grouchio posted:

I knew Sarkissian's arrogant vibe ticked me off the wrong way back in 2013. Glad to be extremely validated nine years later that she was the wrong person to lead a crusade.

She wasn’t leading a crusade, she just did some extremely mild videos and got a hate campaign against her

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Grouchio posted:

The crusade being "some video games are sexist"?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Grouchio posted:

lol wtf

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I knew Grouchio's lovely posting ticked me off the wrong way back in 2014. Glad to be extremely validated eight years later that he was the right person to put on my ignore list.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Same thing happened with the Criterion DO THE RIGHT THING, where Spike Lee and Ernest Dickerson redid the colouring, and removed the golden tint, taking the movie from taking place on the hottest day of the year to one that's just a bit overcast. Annoyingly they insisted it's how the movie was always supposed to look. I'm pretty sure the Blu-Ray fixed this in the end at least.

It's honestly a massive bug-bear of mine. Like, a film maker wanting to go back and tinker with their films isn't an issue. It's their creative work, so fair enough, but, like, make the originals that the audience remembers fondly available as well, for gently caress's sake.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Grouchio posted:

yeah how dare a woman have Opinions. crusade is when a woman has Opinions

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think Anita is not especially insightful but then maybe it’s not so confusing why a more insightful woman never took this horseshit on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I thought her overall point she was trying to make was good but she would often shoot herself in the foot by choosing just the worst examples she could find. No I can't remember any specific examples off the top of my head now but I just remembered sometimes she'd pick a game or a scene from a game that I felt hurt her credibility

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Only crusade we need is against Crypto and NFTs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Anita Sarkeesian was just smart enough to produce her totally normal and fine 101 level videos but not smart enough to foresee the shitstorm that would result and/or realize she could not successfully ride that wave without being crashed against the rocks.

So the quality of her letterboxd reveiws lines up with that.

You know whose letterboxd is good? GetFiscal.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

She wasn’t leading a crusade, she just did some extremely mild videos and got a hate campaign against her
My perception of that chain of events remains hosed then. Apologies for the hyperbole.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Bug Squash posted:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I thought her overall point she was trying to make was good but she would often shoot herself in the foot by choosing just the worst examples she could find. No I can't remember any specific examples off the top of my head now but I just remembered sometimes she'd pick a game or a scene from a game that I felt hurt her credibility

Yeah this was usually my takeaway with her work. A lot of the examples she'd pick in the Tropes VS Women in Video Games series would often feel like the opinion of someone who watched a trailer, rather than someone who played the game or even watched a Let's Play or something. I remember a montage in the Violence against Women episode where they bizarrely chose to show female characters in sandbox games being killed by the player, as if this was an egregious sin and not as if the male characters, various monsters, hell the player's dog, could also be killed as arbitrarily.

This is really a lukewarm criticism of an already lukewarm video series, but that's the real tragedy of her work, isn't it? Like she got rocketed to the forefront of feminist media criticism because she was harassed and not because she was doing anything radical or new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
deleted

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 3, 2022