Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

top tier: roe female, highlander female, aura female
high tier: miqote female, dunesfolk lalafell, elezen female, hopefully hrothgal
mid tier: hrothguy, viera female, miqote male, midlander female, roe male, plainsfolk lalafell
low tier: highlander male, elezen male, midlander male, viera male
embarrassing garbage tier: aura male

This is just misandry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Am i weird for not wanting my character to transform into a completely different person half way through the story? Giving up all attachment to your character doesn't seem like a satisfactory solution to me.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CJ posted:

Am i weird for not wanting my character to transform into a completely different person half way through the story? Giving up all attachment to your character doesn't seem like a satisfactory solution to me.

nah, this is why when i switched to hrothgar i also did a name change, because they were functionally different characters to me and I would've felt weird not doing so.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

CJ posted:

Yeah, I have never used a fantasia and only plan on using one to change my bunnygirl into a hrothgirl when they come out.

I make alts instead to fulfill that 'create characters of all races' itch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

If you like your character then you don't have to change?

Like the point of fantasiaing is if you realize you don't like your current character for some reason. If you're happy then don't change!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJ posted:

Nah I agree with you. They should just let people roll a viera or hrothgar on the trial.

I think they should give free race changes once every couple months as well though

ImpAtom posted:

They're saying that if a trial player wants to play a viera or hrothgar it's weird to make them either buy the game first or play through the entire 2.0 campaign as something they don't like.

It's definitely not a big problem but it does feel a little inelegant imo.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

Like the point of fantasiaing is if you realize you don't like your current character for some reason. If you're happy then don't change!

I'm not going to change. The whole point is that having character creator options locked at character creation is dumb and backwards. There are people trying the game out who probably want to be a big cat man or bunny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Nah I agree with you. They should just let people roll a viera or hrothgar on the trial.

I think they should give free race changes once every couple months as well though

They're saying that if a trial player wants to play a viera or hrothgar it's weird to make them either buy the game first or play through the entire 2.0 campaign as something they don't like

It's not really weird. They want you to buy the video game.

CJ posted:

I'm not going to change. The whole point is that having character creator options locked at character creation is dumb and backwards. There are people trying the game out who probably want to be a big cat man or bunny.

There are also hairstyle and clothing options locked as well, as well as jobs you can only get if you buy the expansions.

Like at the end of the day they want you to spend money so you can have those things.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I get 2 free Fantasias whenever I make a new character and i don't remember why. I think one is from the old veteran rewards.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It would be nice if you could play as any race from the beginning, but I think it's pretty obvious why the free trial doesn't let you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I get 2 free Fantasias whenever I make a new character and i don't remember why. I think one is from the old veteran rewards.

Yeah, it used to be a vet reward so if you qualified you now get one free.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

There are also hairstyle and clothing options locked as well, as well as jobs you can only get if you buy the expansions.

Like at the end of the day they want you to spend money so you can have those things.

people change hair and clothes without becoming different people all the time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rhonne posted:

If you're somehow still getting one from the old veteran reward, maybe you're also getting one from the Heavensward preorder bonus?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I get that. It just doesn't feel like the kind of feature that should be gated behind a paywall to me. It's less like an expansion job or a cash shop skin, and more like Ocean Fishing or Ishgard Restoration. Like I said, I don't really think it's that big a deal though.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if I had my way they'd let you access all customization options sans race change for free so you could change your skin or eye color, but I'd also take a cheaper fantasia that let you do that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Leal posted:

If you're somehow still getting one from the old veteran reward, maybe you're also getting one from the Heavensward preorder bonus?

Yeah, that's probably it. Those bonuses are all tied to your account, so they get sent to any alt I make. I also get a bunch of mounts and pets mailed to my alts too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gruckles posted:

people change hair and clothes without becoming different people all the time

I mean there's also the real fact that the vast majority of the playerbase couldn't be a viera or hrothgar until just recently. If you really wanted to be a viera male you had the exact same 'problem' here except like significantly more attachment to your character because it was multiple expansions worth of time likely over 5+ years. It's an unavoidable part of new things being added to the game.

Like yeah in an ideal world you'd have access to everything without paying money but it's not a surprise that the company who wants you to give them money holds things back so you'll give them money. It's not weird or confusing. It's "Give us $60+sub for Endwalker."

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah I get that. It just doesn't feel like the kind of feature that should be gated behind a paywall to me. It's less like an expansion job or a cash shop skin, and more like Ocean Fishing or Ishgard Restoration. Like I said, I don't really think it's that big a deal though.

Both of those things have actual mechanical gameplay changes. Your race is largely cosmetic with a vanishingly small number of dialogue choices and the fact that Lalafell can go into a small number of buildings no other race can. Like if you wanted to talk about Paywall, you can't access any zone outside of HW without buying the expansions and that is significantly more relevant even to casual playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finally used a Fantasia recently so I could switch my male midlander to the trailer WoL stubble face

Of course I'm also just so used to how he looks that if that stubble face wasn't a variation of the face I was already using I probably would've felt too weird to switch.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It would make more sense to me if they locked all races but Hyur for trials. Letting most players make the character they want from the outset, but trying to coerce the minority of people who want to play a big cat man or bunny into buying the full game before they finish the trial seems like a weird strategy. Realistically how many purchases would they be missing out on? What is the market size of people who want to play as a cat man but don't want to continue the MSQ?

CJ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 2, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

It would make more sense to me if they locked all races but Hyur for trials. Letting most players make the character they want from the outset, but trying to coerce the minority of people who want to play a big cat man or bunny into buying the full game before they finish the trial seems like a weird strategy.

It's not a weird strategy. Those races were introduced in Shadowbringers. If you want to play them you need Shadowbringers. (They backported male Viera to only requiring Shadowbringers in fact.) You can access all the current races because they were introduced up to Heavensward which is where the trial goes. They are not 'locking' anything. If you don't have Shadowbringers or above you can't play Viera and Hrothgar even if you're otherwise paying a sub.

If you wait for 6 years or whatever until Shadowbringers is part of the free trial then you can make Viera and Hrothgar.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fantasias are just you deciding to use the echo to jump to another body.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ImpAtom posted:

It's not a weird strategy. Those races were introduced in Shadowbringers. If you want to play them you need Shadowbringers. (They backported male Viera to only requiring Shadowbringers in fact.) You can access all the current races because they were introduced up to Heavensward which is where the trial goes. They are not 'locking' anything. If you don't have Shadowbringers or above you can't play Viera and Hrothgar even if you're otherwise paying a sub.

If you wait for 6 years or whatever until Shadowbringers is part of the free trial then you can make Viera and Hrothgar.

Have you considered a career as a Square Enix salaryman? With that kind of shikata ga nai energy i think you could go far in the Japanese business world.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my new Au Ra. This glamour just did not look good on my Rogadame.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CJ posted:

Have you considered a career as a Square Enix salaryman? With that kind of shikata ga nai energy i think you could go far in the Japanese business world.

They're not saying anything crazy or unheard of, companies do this kind of thing all the time. WoW would tie races to the various expansions they came out in all the time. Only reason they don't anymore is because they've rolled everything but the current expansion into the base game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CJ posted:

Lol what is this post

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's likely as much of a motivation to buy the latest expansion as it is a cost-cutting measure from the work needed to migrate the Au Ra/Viera entitlements from their respective expansion licenses. While the latter might be trivial depending on their internal setup, IME it's not a simple thing when multiple products and regions are involved. A batch script sounds straightforward in practice, but accounts (and other things) tend to break when a fundamental component/dependency is changed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Business wants people to buy product news at 11

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They probably wouldn't start rolling all the races into the base game until at least after the introduction of female Hrothgar and they finally finally say no more new races

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I will be an Au Ra Male and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad for it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Let's not act like it's weird or entitled to want better treatment from a business as a customer or employee, even if they are "better behaved" than their competitors lol

isk posted:

It's likely as much of a motivation to buy the latest expansion as it is a cost-cutting measure from the work needed to migrate the Au Ra/Viera entitlements from their respective expansion licenses. While the latter might be trivial depending on their internal setup, IME it's not a simple thing when multiple products and regions are involved. A batch script sounds straightforward in practice, but accounts (and other things) tend to break when a fundamental component/dependency is changed.

This I could believe though.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fantasias are just you deciding to use the echo to jump to another body.

My word, this data!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Holy smokes, a queue. Kinda was getting used to those being gone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Let's not act like it's weird or entitled to want better treatment from a business as a customer or employee, even if they are "better behaved" than their competitors lol

This I could believe though.

It isn't weird to want better treatment but this is a case of "you are literally asking for something that is part of something they sell for money which is one of the marketed feature of the thing they sell for money." You also can't play any of the Stormblood/ShB/EW jobs, nor access the areas, etc, etc. Capitalism is the enemy and all that but there's nothing confusing about the specific decision they made.

You can say "Well it impacts my enjoyment of the game" but someone who doesn't care what their race is but whose favorite job in FF is Red Mage can make the exact same argument.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Alxprit posted:

I will be an Au Ra Male and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad for it

I'd avoid the shitpostxiv subreddit if I were you.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

top tier: hrothgar, female highlander, female roe
mid tier: male au ra, male roe, lalafells, female viera, male highlander, male miqote, elezens
low tier: male viera, female au ra, female miqote, midlanders

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

all warriors of light are perfect :colbert:

even (especially?) this guy:

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 3, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

all warriors of light are perfect :colbert:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

low tier: viera male

Kerrzhe posted:

low tier: male viera

:wtc:

S tier: male viera

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2022

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

I love the Nabaath Pendulums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rhonne posted:

They're not saying anything crazy or unheard of, companies do this kind of thing all the time. WoW would tie races to the various expansions they came out in all the time. Only reason they don't anymore is because they've rolled everything but the current expansion into the base game.

I think it's silly in WoW as well, but in that game you are at least encouraged to make alts to play different classes.

FF14 discourages you from playing alts by making everything available on one character and gating everything behind a few dozen hours of MSQ. On top of that the game encouraging you to treat your character like a character rather than a skin. All of that together means that for a lot of people racial options only offer value when you first start the game.

Based on the free trial offering everything up to Stormblood, i think it's pretty clear that the game's player acquisition strategy is to get people playing and hope that they enjoy the game enough that they want to keep playing. This is as opposed to something like SWTOR when it went F2P when they gave you taste of the game but tried to annoy you into paying with restrictions. So since the apparent intended experience for a new player is to make a trial account, create a character, play through ARR and Heavensward at which point you are invested enough in the game that you buy it to continue playing, letting the segment of your playerbase who would be happiest playing Hrothgar or Viera do so seems to make sense. The fact that they were added to the game 2 years ago rather than 6 years ago makes no difference to the value they offer a new player. If anything they offer less value because they can't wear hats, and based on player numbers more people want to be a catgirl anyway. So if they wanted to coerce people into buying the game they should lock off all the options but Hyur like SWTOR did.

On the other side, they'd be missing out on the sales from people who buy the game to play through ARR as a Shadowbringers race but don't continue into Stormblood. I would guess that numbers is low but maybe i'm underestimating the furry contingent.

I also see the value of making it a bulletpoint on the box of the new expansion, but Shadowbringers is 2 years old now and rolled into the base game. I don't think you even need Endwalker for male Viera do you?

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't weird to want better treatment but this is a case of "you are literally asking for something that is part of something they sell for money which is one of the marketed feature of the thing they sell for money." You also can't play any of the Stormblood/ShB/EW jobs, nor access the areas, etc, etc. Capitalism is the enemy and all that but there's nothing confusing about the specific decision they made.

You can say "Well it impacts my enjoyment of the game" but someone who doesn't care what their race is but whose favorite job in FF is Red Mage can make the exact same argument.

I don't think it's the same as Red Mage, because you can freely change jobs so you're not missing out if you only make one character like the vast majority of players. If i want to play a Red Mage i can do so once i buy the game and get to 50.

On the other hand, i think there is a sizable proportion of the playerbase who will never get any value out of Hrothgar or Viera because they have absolutely no desire to change the character they've become attached to once they get to the point where they have the option to. To these players if it's not available at character creation, at the point before Square Enix intend for you to buy the game, it might as well not exist.

It's not so much as "i want more free stuff", as "i get no use out of this if it isn't available at character creation even if i do buy the game so you might as well put it in there so at least it's a viable option".

Whatever they do i'm sticking with my dumb gyaru catgirl i made on a whim two years ago.