Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Rise was significantly worse than World tbh, even with the improvements to make multiplayer actually work right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Monster Hunter is hard to get in to at first but if you do one early hunt until you can sleepwalk through it, it will click and you'll understand what it's going for.

Dual Blades are probably the most classic action style. Things seem WAY more complex than they actually are.

I used to kinda hate the series until I committed a couple hours to chill and figure out what I'm doing. Even slow weapons like greatsword have movement skills in Rise and the whole game is much faster than previous versions.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought Rise was significantly worse than World tbh, even with the improvements to make multiplayer actually work right

This is backwards, World was a low point for the series and Rise was a good recovery from it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

This is backwards, World was a low point for the series and Rise was a good recovery from it.

i s tarted with world but after rise and then getting into mhgu i have to agree

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

name a game I should buy (not botw)

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Google Butt posted:

BotW 2

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Google Butt posted:

Metroid Dread or BotW

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Super Mario Odyssey

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Google Butt posted:

Metroid Dread or Streets of Rogue

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Google Butt posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Google Butt posted:

shin megami tensei 5 and shin megami tensei 3: nocturne

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Hollow Knight

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Could someone tell me why the SanDisk 512 GB Micro SD Card is only $59.99 on Amazon while on Best Buy it's normally $249.99?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-512GB-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B08GXXKY6P
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ultra-512gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card/6356777.p?skuId=6356777

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Probably because it's a bootleg.

Even when they're sold by Amazon itself bootlegs can squeak through. I bought a bad one last year.

You can dock it into a computer to check the storage and see if it's legit. Hopefully it is since that's a baller price.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
512 for $60 sounds about right. It's the $20 ones you want to avoid.

Best Buy probably has it at $250 to make their "deal" of $110 look better. B&M stores love to overcharge on accessories like memory cards.

e: The Best Buy one also looks to be a slightly improved model, though you probably wouldn't notice any differences on the Switch.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 3, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

because websites put up a fake ultra high price to make non existent sales look good

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Probably because it's a bootleg.

Even when they're sold by Amazon itself bootlegs can squeak through. I bought a bad one last year.

You can dock it into a computer to check the storage and see if it's legit. Hopefully it is since that's a baller price.

The Amazon one looks like it's sold by SanDisk themselves though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i picked up Astalon: Tears of the Earth and this game actually whips rear end???

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Metroid Dread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Google Butt posted:

Hades

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Google Butt posted:

Disco Elysium

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Harriet Carker posted:

Well, I just put a few hours into Monster Hunter Rise, and it feels totally impenetrable and unfun so far.

The combat feels unbelievably clunky and bad. I tried out a few different weapons and the attack animations are all so slow and stiff. Plus maybe this is just me being an idiot, but I couldn't figure out how to lock on to an enemy, and most of my attacks just whiff as my cat and dog do all the work.

I had heard that this series was tough to get into and that Rise was the most newbie friendly. I shudder to think what the earlier entries must be like! Rise has some of the worst tutorializing I have ever seen. Just dumps and dumps of text on the screen whenever you do anything or talk to anyone, and a very unpleasant to navigate UI.

Maybe I'm just not in the right mindset to get into this right now, but the first few hours of experience was completely off-putting.

A couple of other posters have said this already, but yes, MH has, as a general rule, a steep learning curve, and it's very bad at telling you what you need to do and how you need to do it. The good news is that the community is very welcoming and there are heaps of tutorials on YouTube that can show you the ropes.

And no, you're not being an idiot. You haven't found the lock on button because there isn't one. You're supposed to learn the monster's movements and behavior, and position yourself so that you can dodge and punish. Also, the game encourages experimenting with the different weapons and going with what you like--every monster in the game can be hunted with every weapon, and the game is never going to require that you go with one over the other.

One final tip: the two best beginner friendly weapons are, in my opinion, the Dual Blades and the Light Bowgun. The DB are easy to use and their moveset is similar to what you would find in other Hack 'n Slash games, and the LB turns the game into a third-person shooter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is "fuga: melodies of steel" any good?

It looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to see how the horrors of war jives with a cast full of adorable kitty and puppy characters tonally.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Willo567 posted:

The Amazon one looks like it's sold by SanDisk themselves though

The way it's been explained to me is that any SD cards shipped from Amazon get stored in the same place. So a 512GB sold by Discount Cards 4 Cheap and shipped by Amazon is kept in the same bin as one sold and shipped by Amazon. So you could get a legit one at the bootleg price or a bootleg from a legit sale

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Now I can crawl, ho ho ho

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Basically just buy one at that price, pop it in a PC and check if it's legit, and if it's not send it back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

$50 is a normal sale price for 256gb. It's a lot more expensive at best but because it's a premium card and they price them higher in the first place. $50 SanDisk is not suspicious.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Len posted:

The way it's been explained to me is that any SD cards shipped from Amazon get stored in the same place. So a 512GB sold by Discount Cards 4 Cheap and shipped by Amazon is kept in the same bin as one sold and shipped by Amazon. So you could get a legit one at the bootleg price or a bootleg from a legit sale

I want a 1 TB card for my Switch, but due to Amazon fuckery I have no way of knowing if I'd be getting a legit one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Waffle! posted:

I want a 1 TB card for my Switch, but due to Amazon fuckery I have no way of knowing if I'd be getting a legit one.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Basically just buy one at that price, pop it in a PC and check if it's legit, and if it's not send it back.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, step by step for self testing, or at the end recommended testing software:

https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards/amp

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Regarding Monster Hunter, be aware that monsters will often go on these long attack chains that prevent you from hitting for a weirdly long time. Sometimes you might barely get a hit in for a minute or two before they settle down.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Fuligin posted:

i picked up Astalon: Tears of the Earth and this game actually whips rear end???

It rules extremely hard. One of the better metroidvanias I've played lately

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

$50 is a normal sale price for 256gb. It's a lot more expensive at best but because it's a premium card and they price them higher in the first place. $50 SanDisk is not suspicious.

The switch sd cards are actually a few gens behind technologically but the Nintendo logos make them twice as expensive.

Just remember Switch SD read tops off at a little less than 100mb/s so you don't need the highest tier flash memory. $40-50 for a 512gb is about where you'd want to be pricing wise.

And for all the talk about fake cards on Amazon I have never been burnt buying directly from them
I particularly like Samsung Evo memory because it has been reliable for me

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is "fuga: melodies of steel" any good?

It looks interesting, and I'm intrigued to see how the horrors of war jives with a cast full of adorable kitty and puppy characters tonally.

I liked it, it was nice and addictive for a fairly simple turn based RPG. The story is kind of less involved than it let's on, but the whole loop of turn based battles + walking around giant tank and upgrading it + little social link style segments is really addictive.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Good lord the music in Harmony of Dissonance is some absolutely dreadful chiptoony nonsense. I didn't even realize you could have awful music in a Castlevania game!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The subtitle of the game is pretty apt I say

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's got the worst music of the games in the Collection, yeah.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It pretty much makes the game entirely unplayable for me. Doesn't help that the exploration kind of sucks in that game but yeah, that music is unforgivable feel free to skip the game

Castlevania ds collection when

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah I'm making myself mute it. Circle of the Moon played worse but it actually had a banger of a soundtrack! It made it a much more enjoyable experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kirios posted:

Good lord the music in Harmony of Dissonance is some absolutely dreadful chiptoony nonsense. I didn't even realize you could have awful music in a Castlevania game!

God, still love that game though. I especially love the "put furniture in a room to make it look nice" side quest. That's exactly what I would do in a spooky castle when two of my friends are missing and one is definitely possessed and the other might be dead.

KingSlime posted:

Castlevania ds collection when

Yes please. Castlevania DS collection ASAP