Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so does your house price go up if you’re the last one standing or does it go down now that the neighbours still haven’t cleaned up their mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Dr Sun Try posted:

denmark is the size of a postage stamp.

why do they even have domestic flights?

5 hour train ride from Copenhagen to Aalborg for 70 usd vs 40 minute flight for 24 usd just to pick an egregious example.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

that louisville video looks like something out of an apocalyptic movie

Struensee posted:

5 hour train ride from Copenhagen to Aalborg for 70 usd vs 40 minute flight for 24 usd just to pick an egregious example.

xi can fix it

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

that louisville video looks like something out of an apocalyptic movie

gently caress yeah. collapse is gonna be hd and filmed from a cloud of drones. poo poo is gonna rule so hard.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

xi can fix it

https://twitter.com/nwbdnwbd/status/1473044163901988865

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1477726653128351748?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"In only ten years' time..."

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

That was a whole lotta words to say absolutely jack poo poo, holy moly.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"In only ten years' time..."

that’s not bad! 30 years ago that number was 20

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what's up with plastic eating bacteria, i remember reading an article or two about that a couple of years ago. fizzled out?

e: also, is biodebgradable plastic as bad as regular plastic when it comes to the various poo poo effects it has on everything?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
fushion invented, not used because oil and gas is more profitable

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

e: nevermind the article mentioned Oakland, Paradise and Santa Rosa. The tweet seemed to be implying that the CO fire was a new kind of thing.

also, what about when PG&E exploded/burned down half a neighborhood in San Bruno, CA, with an ancient gas pipeline?

Rah! has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Jan 2, 2022

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdrNCCGdK8

lol "so, they're sold as silk but they're actually made of plastic"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh hey, *someone* wants some of Elon's money for retirement: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/science/jim-green-nasa-mars.html

If we clap for Tinkerbell *really hard*, maybe we can turn a planet with poison soil, killer dust storms, no liquid water, and, oh right, no magnetosphere into Earth Redux!

And why not Venus, too! :shepface:

See, I can be optimistic, give me money! :v:

And yeah, I'm aware the article mentions constructing a "magnetic shield" to replace the planet's geologically dead core. Again, just more "clap for Tinkerbell" poo poo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey, *someone* wants some of Elon's money for retirement: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/science/jim-green-nasa-mars.html

If we clap for Tinkerbell *really hard*, maybe we can turn a planet with poison soil, killer dust storms, no liquid water, and, oh right, no magnetosphere into Earth Redux!

And why not Venus, too! :shepface:

See, I can be optimistic, give me money! :v:

And yeah, I'm aware the article mentions constructing a "magnetic shield" to replace the planet's geologically dead core. Again, just more "clap for Tinkerbell" poo poo.

Jim Green has shaped much of the space agency’s scientific inquiry for decades.

this is very encouraging lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one of jupiters seismically active moons probably has a place right between the magma explosion and frozen methane tundra where the temperature is very nice

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

30 years ago, in the last century

its been a minute

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Shima Honnou posted:

fushion invented, not used because oil and gas is more profitable

It'd be used to power the biggest bitcoin miner in the world

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you need a gently caress off big ff powerplant to power up the fusion plant, which needs to shut down a lot probably
oil companies will love fusion.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

That was a whole lotta words to say absolutely jack poo poo, holy moly.

its basically a prayer at this point

hold the talisman and mutter incantations to the cure-all

the Belief itself is all that is important

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

we're going into the neoliberal technocratic propaganda crisis-management control period now and for the next several years. media happily pumping out Popular Science rag mag puff pieces happily soothing the masses that Technology Is Just Right Around the Corner: The Status Quo is SAVED! it's already been happening past few years, but expect it to ramp up increasingly more and more as people get nervous and shook. just watch and pay attention

Just hold out a little longer Y'ALL!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've been ready for fusion since I saw The Saint, starring Val Kilmer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
virtually every single technocratic deus ex machinas puffed out to the people all have the exact same poo poo in common: a) faith and preaching that status quo is going to continue, don't worry, b) just some technocratic hot-swaps into the Market and all is good infact you won't even notice, and c) it's just a few years away, the scientists and leaders have got this. if things get bad we'll deploy all our theoretical technocratic powress

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

2032: fusion invented, exclusively used in weaponized form

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the plasma itself is pretty safe if you've got a concrete wall between you and it you are good and it cant get very far out of the containment before reverting to gas as it floats up and away
if you want to hurt somebody you would blast them with the lasers or microwaves they use to start the fusion

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

when can we tell new parents i'm sorry to hear you had a child

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

the plasma itself is pretty safe if you've got a concrete wall between you and it you are good and it cant get very far out of the containment before reverting to gas as it floats up and away
if you want to hurt somebody you would blast them with the lasers or microwaves they use to start the fusion

our enemies already have a microwave weapon theyve been using it for years in havana

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Raine posted:

2032 1952: fusion invented, exclusively used in weaponized form

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Raine posted:

1952: fusion invented, exclusively used in weaponized form

Ftfy

E:sunnuva gun

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fusion power would be pretty good, but we're also not investing much in developing it to commercial viability. Which means it likely won't happen. Way better to increase the military budget so more tanks can be parked in the desert!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've posted about it before but fusion actually probably is no-poo poo 5 to 10 years from engineering breakeven, commonwealth fusion and helion are two companies to watch. There's a crazy amount of money being thrown at it just in the last year.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
There's a pretty cool fusion reactor in Burnaby, BC that gets strangely little media coverage even tho Jeff bezos and bill gates and supposedly backers.

It works like a diesel engine more or less where a few atoms of tritium and deuterium are injected into a chamber and then compressed into fusion by a system of pistons driven by molten salts. The molten salts then absorb energy from the fusion and the cycle repeats with excess energy used to turn water to steam and drive turbines.

They've been through a few design iterations. I have no idea if it will ever actually contribute to clean energy or not but to my dumb brain it seems a bit more commercially viable than a tokamak.

General Fusion is the company for those interested in the scant media attention the company gets.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if you nerds want to read the post event report from the 1991 Oakland / Berkeley fire it’s pretty interesting: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/tr-060.pdf

it makes it fairly clear that the only thing that contained the fire was the winds dying down. If the winds had kept blowing it would have kept burning through the cities.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Tyme posted:

I've posted about it before but fusion actually probably is no-poo poo 5 to 10 years from engineering breakeven, commonwealth fusion and helion are two companies to watch. There's a crazy amount of money being thrown at it just in the last year.

I don't think Wallstreetbets "investor"-type companies will be the ones to develop fusion. Seems more likely Wendelstein and ITER will lead to breakthroughs, not stock market fuckery.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I’ll believe in fusion as being better than fission when we actually get even experimental plants operating that produce electricity. Until then, it’s entirely possible that neutron embrittlement and/or scale required renders fusion less useful than fission.

Fusion is meaningless from a climate change perspective, might as well be talking about solar mirrors in space or dropping ice filled asteroids.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Ftfy

E:sunnuva gun

:holymoley: incredible

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I’ll believe in fusion as being better than fission when we actually get even experimental plants operating that produce electricity. Until then, it’s entirely possible that neutron embrittlement and/or scale required renders fusion less useful than fission.

Fusion is meaningless from a climate change perspective, might as well be talking about solar mirrors in space or dropping ice filled asteroids.

That BC company Leroy Diplowsky mentioned apparently uses a spinning glob of molten lead to shield the containment vessel from the neutrons, it sounds pretty crazy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The U.S. went decades without even bothering to train enough fusion physicists to replace the ones dying of old age. It's a problem that could have been solved twenty years ago if we started forty years ago, but now it's not likely to make a difference.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/photojmatthew/status/1477003247458078725

The intact snowman Christmas decorations are very surreal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006