Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The other problem with doing poo poo like that are the loving idiots who hate any kind of change.

"Yes, I can now find what I need on the list instantly, but I'm used to the other way which takes ten minutes while tiny men poke me in the eyes with forks."

I've worked with people who would hold up manila folders next to their monitors when they had sun glare rather than just, you know, move the loving monitor a bit. If you turn it for them so they can see, they lose their loving minds at you and immediately put it back so they go blind and can't read the screen.

I worked at a weed grow and they wanted to ‘simplify’ the growing process by implementing a new Web 3.0 system where you have to scan each plant’s serial number with a tablet before you do any work on them. then you select from a drop down menu what particular work you’re going to do (I.e. defoliation), and it times you for how long you’re supposed to take. You do this for each plant in a room of nearly a thousand.

This was proposed by a suck up trying to make the place more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

red19fire posted:

I worked at a weed grow and they wanted to ‘simplify’ the growing process by implementing a new Web 3.0 system where you have to scan each plant’s serial number with a tablet before you do any work on them. then you select from a drop down menu what particular work you’re going to do (I.e. defoliation), and it times you for how long you’re supposed to take. You do this for each plant in a room of nearly a thousand.

https://twitter.com/deathpigeon/status/1175906952435515392

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

laughed at this in 2019, and now completely agreeing with it. time makes fools of us all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The other problem with doing poo poo like that are the loving idiots who hate any kind of change.

"Yes, I can now find what I need on the list instantly, but I'm used to the other way which takes ten minutes while tiny men poke me in the eyes with forks."

I've worked with people who would hold up manila folders next to their monitors when they had sun glare rather than just, you know, move the loving monitor a bit. If you turn it for them so they can see, they lose their loving minds at you and immediately put it back so they go blind and can't read the screen.

"Don't correct the product data, as I'm used to searching for these products with the wrong keywords! No I don't care about the 3000 other people who need to find them!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

Just constant self owns, all day every day. Is the cdc a d&d poster?

It's staffed with evangelicals so arguably worse

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

doordash calling their delivery drivers engineers

This poo poo's been general for a while now. Dominos doesn't have drivers it has "delivery experts"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
subway has "SANDWICH ARTISTS"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

red19fire posted:

"Web 3.0" is not more efficient by any measure imaginable

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

It does, however, give more numbers for managers to play with on their spreadsheets and provide convenient excuses for firing whoever has annoyed them recently or if they need to cut labor costs for the quarter

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

User efficiency was never the goal. The point is data collection, behavior tracking, easy implementation of AB testing. It sucks for you but the point of <website> is to advertise Tide laundry detergent to you, and that's what "web 3.0" is aimed towards.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

little munchkin posted:

User efficiency was never the goal. The point is data collection, behavior tracking, easy implementation of AB testing. It sucks for you but the point of <website> is to advertise Tide laundry detergent to you, and that's what "web 3.0" is aimed towards.

Actually no, it's not good at any of that stuff either. Web 3.0 is "good" at adding a bunch of useless blockchains to poo poo

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lmao I'm on web 5.0, all my posts are monitized using subliminal messaging to buy taco bell.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

web 6.9

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tokin opposition posted:

Lmao I'm on web 5.0, all my posts are monitized using subliminal messaging to buy taco bell.

i knew there was a reason i want a black bean crunchwrap rn

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

hahahaha that's the sex number so funnay

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Weatherman posted:

hahahaha that's the sex number so funnay

i’m sorry there is no way to monetize this shiitt post. 420% user dissatisfaction and 69% stupid

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Actually no, it's not good at any of that stuff either. Web 3.0 is "good" at adding a bunch of useless blockchains to poo poo

I don't recall saying it was good at it.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i don't know what web 3.0 is, but i know that web 4.0 will be made from sticks and stones

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mola Yam posted:

i don't know what web 3.0 is, but i know that web 4.0 will be made from sticks and stones

cool we can still have the internet with that https://www.sparkpost.com/blog/sparkpost-afire-ssp/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like the RFC that page references: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6919

quote:

5. WOULD PROBABLY

The phrase "WOULD PROBABLY" indicates the authors expectation about
what a reasonable implementation is likely to do in a given case.
There is no requirement for implementations to be reasonable.

This phrase is also a good example of an aspect of English grammar
that is often useful in specification writing, namely the passive-
aggressive voice, which provides a meaning in between the active and
the passive voice.

For example: "A SMTP client would probably only want to authenticate
an SMTP server whose server certificate has a domain name that is the
domain name that the client thought it was connecting to."

:allears:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/rv1cps/an_orangutan_tries_to_fight_off_a_bulldozer/

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1478072689600380929

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We should not allow them to make bad bois.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All Dogs Are Cops

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

All Dogs Are Cops

Your worst post yet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

All Dogs Are Cops

:mods:

No bad dogs, just bad owners.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Restaurants should be replaced by government funded cafeterias that serve fresh, well-rounded, nutritious meals to all who show up, where everyone takes a turn doing every job including serving, dishwashing, cooking, and cleaning the bathrooms

Someone in I think the climate thread, said he wanted to use school kitchens in evenings to churn out massive amounts of hot food for people. It just kinda blew my mind because it's such a simple solution that can reach most areas of the country, since most areas have schools still. Which is exactly why it's never going to happen in this demon cracker country lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Someone in I think the climate thread, said he wanted to use school kitchens in evenings to churn out massive amounts of hot food for people. It just kinda blew my mind because it's such a simple solution that can reach most areas of the country, since most areas have schools still. Which is exactly why it's never going to happen in this demon cracker country lol

But what if someone who doesn't deserve the food gets a meal? What then smart guy?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

tokin opposition posted:

All Dogs Are Cops

Permaban and 100k hour probe

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

McCracAttack posted:

But what if someone who doesn't deserve the food gets a meal? What then smart guy?

And people who aren't students or teachers might drink or do drugs on the school grounds!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Web 3.0 isn't real and I don't care how many times you pretend it is!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Source: De Beers lmao

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

if my engagement ring didnt get cut out of a guys stomach then am i really getting married

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

HootTheOwl posted:

Web 3.0 isn't real and I don't care how many times you pretend it is!
Serious question? What is considered web 2.0? Is it that poo poo that broke firefox addons?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ekuNNN posted:

Source: De Beers lmao

It's so weird I call it a "Cubic Zerconia" ring and she isn't as impressed...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
MY WIFE wanted some diamonds in her wedding band so I bought the man-made stuff because gently caress Diamonds and anyway I can confirm she doesn't love me as much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Femur posted:

Serious question? What is considered web 2.0? Is it that poo poo that broke firefox addons?

Web 1.0 was supposedly static information. Web 2.0 was supposedly "user interactivity / content" like youtube, plus a whole lotta javascript and gradients to make sure you know it's the future. Web 3.0 is complete nonsense that I've been following for a little while so lemme try to sum it up:

- Web 2.0 was supposed to have things that never really happened, most notably semantic web (basically information computers can use to condense a website and cleverly present the information or sort it or whatever). This never happened for a lot of reasons, mostly because it kinda requires everyone to buy into it and it's not actually that great a proposal for buying in if you're generating content (why would I want people to be able to extract the information without visiting my website?)

- Some idiots decided ok, well, now that we have ~AI~ and other vaguely defined nonsense technologies, let's just roll all the magic handwavy technology into Web 3.0. This group of people came up with loving fantastic ideas like "instead of using a web browser, you will have a personal assistant AI like Alexa that extracts information from various sources and presents it to you as a feed" so basically a loving facebook feed but for everything all the time. Great.

- A different group of idiots who are into bitcoin saw this and went "Aha!" and glomped their ideas onto the side of it awkwardly. So now the magic AI uses the blockchain... somehow. At least at first this weird crypto-cancer growing off the side of the first group was painfully poorly done, like you could see the seams where they were trying to glue their stupid poo poo to the other stupid poo poo.

- Eventually the second group won out and shut up the first group, because if bitcoiners are good at anything it's screaming louder than everyone else. So now Web3 (as it has been re-branded to, for some reason) is all about NFT's and blockchains and "distributed/decentralized services" is even more poorly-defined and nonsensical than it was before.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and then METAVERSE became a buzzword half-way through the process I described, so now every single Web3 idea has to have a metaverse NFT game in development coming Jan. 2024 or whatever. All of these metaverse NFT games have somehow already sold all their virtual property to corporations for millions of theoretical dollars, despite most of them literally not existing even in a pre-alpha form. None of them sound at all appealing to play. In Peter Moleneux's one, for example, you get your game key to enable you to play the game in the first place from a virtual landlord, who owns the virtual land that you then have to set up your virtual store on. All your virtual money you make with the virtual store is taxed by the virtual landlord for virtual rent.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Ah so its not even real like a standard like ip4 vs 6 or whatever. I throught yahoo lost the ideaological battle of if people wanted an organized web or not.

Thank you for the break out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Femur posted:

Ah so its not even real like a standard like ip4 vs 6 or whatever. I throught yahoo lost the ideaological battle of if people wanted an organized web or not.

Nope, web 1/2/3 are just ideas. Web 2 sort of encompassed the "standards" of HTML5 and CSS3 and whatever the hell version of Javascript was out at the time, but none of them (especially not Web3) are actually standards or technologies in any way, they are buzzwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
so the meta verse is entirely a thing that exists because Facebook had some dudes from McKinsey tell them their brand name is toxic isn’t it