Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The World Inferno posted:

What's the deal with the Baroness for us U.S. fans?
She's a Conservative politician so it's like they let someone from the GOP on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

The World Inferno posted:

What's the deal with the Baroness for us U.S. fans?

Used to be a minister of parliament for the Conservative Party, got a peerage and is now in the House of Lords (upper house of the Parliament). Has had some issues regarding not declaring every financial thing she should have and used her position to get her business partners to meet with bigwigs. Very much a homophobe who has softened her (public) views due to backlash, agreed with literal Nazi party about immigration (a Nazi party who founded a paramilitary terrorist organization named after Hitler no less) and thinks the Church of England is the basis for the whole society and should be in the center of politics.

Basically if you can imagine a vile view concerning any issue whatsoever, she's for it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
God, Winkleman could beat Nish for the worst contestant ever. Her task failures were incredible.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

"It is orange" had me sidesplitting.

Jesus wept. It just sounded like one of those things you say before your brain kicks into gear and stops you.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Jesus wept. It just sounded like one of those things you say before your brain kicks into gear and stops you.
It was definitely one of those moments when the subconscious brain was too fast for the conscious brain.

The whole episode was on point. A prize task with good effort from all of them, good 'simple' tasks that worked and good banter in the studio.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Where can I sign to bring back Adrian Chiles and Ryan Clark-Neal for a whole season?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I knew Chiles would be good. I said as much, I think, in here. Maybe.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thehustler posted:

I knew Chiles would be good. I said as much, I think, in here. Maybe.

Yeah he's the perfect blend of 'useless old man' and 'actually funny' that the series has only managed a handful of times.

(I don't mean useless at tasks necessarily since he actually won - but that whole demeanor).

stev fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 3, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really wish we had had Winkleman for a whole season. The insanity would be epic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't think Alex has ever been that rude to a contestant which makes me suspect the two are on very good terms or the joke was run by Winkleman in advance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Probably sorted it out while they were having their pot noodle and whatsits.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The episode is up on YouTube now.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Unkempt posted:

Last episode of Kongen Befaler is loving amazing for a number of reasons.

So I just got to the "make the next minute of this film" task in Kongen Befaler and I don't think I have laughed harder in at least 6 months than at Einar's film.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 5, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some dots that connected in my head, and I guess I gotta share it.

Eggs are actually designed specifically for not breaking when they fall onto grass. That's a bit of an odd fact that I only really know because I heard about it on Taskmaster season 1, when Josh Widdicomb got ridiculously lucky.

Claudia Winkleman is also mentioned on season 1 when Josh Widdicomb was trying to talk to the swede about people he might be attracted to.

Am I saying that Claudia Winkleman ended up watching the season of Taskmaster that she was mentioned on? I guess I am.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I don't care how orange she is, everytime I see Claudia Winkleman on TV I fall in love with her that little bit more. I think it's the combination of funny and crazy, along with her self deprecating humour.

I can't stand Adrian Chiles normally but he was very funny. I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Claudia in a full series.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Victorkm posted:

So I just got to the "make the next minute of this film" task in Kongen Befaler and I don't think I have laughed harder in at least 6 months than at Einar's film.
I just watched that episode. It's one of those moments you only get in Taskmaster.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I don't care how orange she is, everytime I see Claudia Winkleman on TV I fall in love with her that little bit more. I think it's the combination of funny and crazy, along with her self deprecating humour.

I can't stand Adrian Chiles normally but he was very funny. I'd be perfectly happy to see him and Claudia in a full series.

Taskmaster's format allows relatively boring people to shine when contrasted with bombastic comedians. Even when they try too hard to be funny, it comes off endearing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The format of the show ensures that all the contentants get roughly equal airtime, unlike most panel shows where they can be dominated by individuals. EVen somelike like Charlie Brooker, who clearly isn't boring, has tended to struggle on shows such as HIGNFY. And I think it's unlikely that many truely boring people make it far enough in entertainment to become famous enough to be invited on the show.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
There's a good quote from Chiles about that aspect of the show in the contestant interviews

Adrian Chiles posted:

There's a breed of comedian which doesn't laugh at other people's jokes - which is fine, it's a way of doing it - but Greg's very generous. It was interesting during filming when Alan said a couple of really funny things which didn't come across because I was talking, or somebody else was talking, and Greg went back to see what Alan said. There's plenty of comedians who wouldn't do that - remember how 8 Out Of 10 Cats used to be like a bear pit, you could never get your words out? - but Greg wanted to share it, which was really good. He wanted to make sure that everyone got the glory of what Alan had said.

I enjoyed the moment where Claudia asked why there was an egg next to the task, and Alex replies "Ah, now that's probably an accident". Also thought having a penalty deducted from your rod's height when you touched things was an elegant way to score the task. Sometimes the convoluted scoring system is part of the joke, but I think you want a solid scoring system if the task's part of a one-off, without the long run to smooth out any imbalances.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Victoria and Claudia are in my top five contestants. I love that they consider their habits (Claudia’s refusal to drink water, Victoria’s bag of snacks) completely normal and it’s everybody else who’s weird.

(Bob Mortimer, Mike Wozniak and Lou Sanders are the other three)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Creature posted:

Victoria and Claudia are in my top five contestants. I love that they consider their habits (Claudia’s refusal to drink water, Victoria’s bag of snacks) completely normal and it’s everybody else who’s weird.

(Bob Mortimer, Mike Wozniak and Lou Sanders are the other three)

Not a single season 7 contestant, shameful.

I honestly think that I'd have a hard time not making my top 5 "literally just season 7 again". Kerry I guess I could take or leave.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Mortimer, Wozniak, Acaster, Wang and Gilbert would make an insanely good series (the lack of women aside)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Replace Acaster with Lou Sanders and Wang with Katherine Ryan

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Replace them both with clones of David Correos

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i recently listened to winkleman's guest hosting of james acaster and ed gamble's podcast "off menu" and she was pretty self depreciating and laughed freely at the bad orange tan jokes from ed and james and made a few her self iirc. im sure she wasnt really pissed at little alex horne. also, everyone should listen to that podcast, especially the one with bob mortimer. it is ostensibly about famous people picking their dream meal course by course, but it is very funny

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of smart people go on Taskmaster and get shown as a massive idiot, Victoria I think went on Taskmaster and managed to look like the smartest person ever on Taskmaster, although she was also a weird alien who couldn't do athletics. Very unique mind.

I guess Richard Osmond looked like a traditionally smart guy too, but he didn't stand out as much.

Victoria also did very weird in the prize tasks, not even particularly because she had bad ideas, but because she couldn't present well at all. Greg often doesn't like joke answers to prize tasks, but he likes it much less if you announce "This here is a joke! Look at my joke!" the way she did. But then when she got a voucher for tickets to the soccer team that Alan hated, it genuinely sounded like she believed her reasoning, even though that could be a joke as well. Maybe that was too good of a delivery?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Richard Osman is a dumb prick when he's not reading answers off a laptop.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of smart people go on Taskmaster and get shown as a massive idiot, Victoria I think went on Taskmaster and managed to look like the smartest person ever on Taskmaster, although she was also a weird alien who couldn't do athletics. Very unique mind.

I guess Richard Osmond looked like a traditionally smart guy too, but he didn't stand out as much.

Victoria also did very weird in the prize tasks, not even particularly because she had bad ideas, but because she couldn't present well at all. Greg often doesn't like joke answers to prize tasks, but he likes it much less if you announce "This here is a joke! Look at my joke!" the way she did. But then when she got a voucher for tickets to the soccer team that Alan hated, it genuinely sounded like she believed her reasoning, even though that could be a joke as well. Maybe that was too good of a delivery?

In general, I agree; but her ManU tickets were the greatest prize round submission since the tattoo in season 1

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I think my favorite Victoria moment was when she blew the multiple-negatives task in the church because that kind of poo poo was her wheelhouse and failing it absolutely killed her

But yeah she was a hilarious broken robot during that entire season. That codebreaking stunt where Alan was almost entirely incidental to the process was great.

itry posted:

Replace Acaster with Lou Sanders and Wang with Katherine Ryan

But if you replace James Acaster on this dream season you lose one of the best parts of having Rhod Gilbert there, and that's absolutely loving infuriating James Acaster.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 6, 2022

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Eat This Glob posted:

i recently listened to winkleman's guest hosting of james acaster and ed gamble's podcast "off menu" and she was pretty self depreciating and laughed freely at the bad orange tan jokes from ed and james and made a few her self iirc. im sure she wasnt really pissed at little alex horne. also, everyone should listen to that podcast, especially the one with bob mortimer. it is ostensibly about famous people picking their dream meal course by course, but it is very funny

Yeah that was the feeling I got. I think it was more the surprise that it was Alex of all people to say it.

Victoria’s episode of Off Menu is the one I keep going back to. Absolutely bizarre from beginning to end. The recent one with Sarah Kendall is another favourite and is proof that Australians are not to be trusted.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know we had a Taskmaster thread! I started watching it a couple of years ago and am absolutely obsessed. It is easily my favorite non-scripted show.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

I didn't know we had a Taskmaster thread! I started watching it a couple of years ago and am absolutely obsessed. It is easily my favorite non-scripted show.

There's so many great shows that come out of just jamming a bunch of British comedians together and filming the results. 9 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, the Big Fat Quiz of the Year, and Would I Lie To You are other dear, dear favorites of mine.

Highlights you can look for on Youtube:
Countdown, carrot in a box game or pretty much any best-of involving Sean Locke or Joe Wilkinson
Big Fat Quiz, Mr Blobby, "bad dong," Richard Ayoade's mental breakdown
WILTY anything involving Brian Blessed or Rhod Gilbert or frankly any bit where Lee Mack is trying to defend a lie

(There's acres more, these are just my personal favorites.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Azhais posted:

Replace them both with clones of David Correos

I’m doing a rewatch of NZ S2 and I honestly don’t know if there is even any competition against him for greatest contestant of all time. He cared so much all the time, he failed spectacularly 99% off the time, but had the right idea so often. And then the milk task.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of fighting between Rhod Gilbert and James Acaster didn't even make it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_KQwMPV_o

Although honestly, while James Acaster really hated Rhod Gilbert, Rhod really just seemed to hate his apparent longtime friend Greg Davies.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of fighting between Rhod Gilbert and James Acaster didn't even make it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D_KQwMPV_o

Although honestly, while James Acaster really hated Rhod Gilbert, Rhod really just seemed to hate his apparent longtime friend Greg Davies.

Eh, hate's a strong word. Rhod is just a really, really loving odd duck. That's why he was so deadly on WILTY, because he could tell you the most insane story and you couldn't write it off because he was just that nuts.

The fez task was amazing. That, and hiding in Greg's closet. He was just a tour de force on that series.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

kazmeyer posted:

But if you replace James Acaster on this dream season you lose one of the best parts of having Rhod Gilbert there, and that's absolutely loving infuriating James Acaster.

Hmm. I see what you mean. :hmmyes:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, if you did an All Star season you'd need both James and Rhod. And they'd be the two person team for team tasks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nono: they need to be the three person team together with Iain.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I know I've gone on about this before, but I watched another couple of Kongen Befaler and once again I was pleased by how good they are at the prize tasks and reminded at how annoyed by the poor effort put in to our prize tasks (NY special aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nono: they need to be the three person team together with Iain.

As long as he's done absolutely zero self-reflection in the interim.