Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they just pressed the “show posts by this user” button and then copied the link. Probably took about two seconds max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah but the default response whenever someone posts your post history is to go “uhh pretty weird dude, are you like in love with me or something??”

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Explaining is endorsing
Reading posts is doxxing
Remembering is illegal
Using Search is treason

:colbert:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah but the default response whenever someone posts your post history is to go “uhh pretty weird dude, are you like in love with me or something??”

"the wicked flee when no man pursueth"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They construct a giant candle and throw hooked nosed effigies of the "candle hoarder gnomes" into it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao the stereotypical MaxFun fans are coming from inside the thread

you tried to imply I was transphobic because I like cyberpunk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Looks like they just pressed the “show posts by this user” button and then copied the link. Probably took about two seconds max.

yeah but to read thru them all to find a post that may or may not even exist or work didn’t take two seconds

like it’s one thing if you’re pulling up probations or the goon in question has a history of saying or backing some poo poo, this is weird and all you other weirdos backing it up because you want to pillory the McElroys for something incredibly stupid are also weird

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
O, what have you become
Mother Internet, Father Time,
Such changes, muddied water
Having tenbux means nothing
More than having tenbux
Release us now from the shortsighted
Those that react rather than think
No rules, just right
Glass Shark, he love da fat kid

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but to read thru them all to find a post that may or may not even exist or work didn’t take two seconds

like it’s one thing if you’re pulling up probations or the goon in question has a history of saying or backing some poo poo, this is weird and all you other weirdos backing it up because you want to pillory the McElroys for something incredibly stupid are also weird

I just dislike you, personally, and your loving awful and constant posting

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

I just dislike you, personally, and your loving awful and constant posting

that actually makes me really happy, because you’re a real piece of poo poo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Wow!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Can't you 2 cyber in pm

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Can't you 2 cyber in pm

nah I’d rather he not talk to me ever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Who loving cares about candlenights

Tell me who. No one is forcing you to buy their special episode dedicated to it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Tell me who. No one is forcing you to buy their special episode dedicated to it.

hey no bummers man

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TAZ Candlenights was good this year. But I wish they didn't always need to rush the finale of live shows.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

inferis posted:

hey no bummers man

I just don't know why parts of the thread feels the need to bitch about 100% optional content, of the already optional content that is choosing to listen to a podcast. I'd get it if candlenights was in every weekly episode around the holiday season, but they quarantine it in its own self-contained show. And of that show, for at least the past two years it's been a "go to this website you've never heard of and pay them 5 bucks if you wanna watch it," and not even something you download off the podcast feed.

I know, it's the McElroy thread and this is just what it does. But christ candlenights alive please draw the line somewhere.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I dropped off of listening to Ethersea, just via being distracted by other things. It still holding up? Was kickin' butt through when I was listening.

Shinjobi posted:

It's my bad for bringing it up, but it's the latest special they did and people are talking about it, seems fine to me. :shrug:

AzureFlame posted:

That's fair, sorry it was weird I was trying to reference the number of times they've explicitly said "Don't listen to the first 100 or so, we've grown a lot since then" which is cool and good.

But the Candlenights origin is "pretending Hanukkah doesn't exist" and now a decade later it's a trademarked event where they pretend Hanukkah (and Christmas) don't exist to celebrate themselves instead.

It's not like harmful (and the charity work is great) but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time they say it. Maybe I just lack the holiday spirit.

That's all fair, better stated & well and good. Kudos! :hf:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shinjobi posted:

I just don't know why parts of the thread feels the need to bitch about 100% optional content, of the already optional content that is choosing to listen to a podcast. I'd get it if candlenights was in every weekly episode around the holiday season, but they quarantine it in its own self-contained show. And of that show, for at least the past two years it's been a "go to this website you've never heard of and pay them 5 bucks if you wanna watch it," and not even something you download off the podcast feed.

I know, it's the McElroy thread and this is just what it does. But christ candlenights alive please draw the line somewhere.

I don't think anyone's like...demanding an apology or anything.

I think I speak for most Jews when I say I don't give a single poo poo about Hanukkah as anything but a chance to see family and all, it's a really minor holiday and it's actually a little lovely that it gets lumped in as 'Jewish Christmas' just because of proximity, but I think it's fair to say it's kinda funny that the dudes who stopped doing Monster Factory because laughing at a dude who's face is concave may offend the concave face community have one of their tentpole brand events rooted in 'uh what's Jewish Christmas, Candlenights?'

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

it's kinda funny that the dudes who stopped doing Monster Factory because laughing at a dude who's face is concave may offend the concave face community have one of their tentpole brand events rooted in 'uh what's Jewish Christmas, Candlenights?'

pretty much my take on this, i think the actual reason is probably just no one has yelled at them about it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

pretty much my take on this, i think the actual reason is probably just no one has yelled at them about it

which to be clear is good, nobody SHOULD yell at them for it, it's just kinda stupid and funny and that's fine, it's okay to just be funny because you're an idiot.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Candlenights is over, friends! We should focus on the real worst annual McElroy tradition, which is their Name The Year episode.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I really like those episodes. :ohdear:

There's usually a few fun ones outside of what they go with, and listening to them pretend like they aren't heavily invested in one or two of their own suggestions is some fun politic-ing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Retrospectively the one for 2020 was loving hilarious.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
2022: It's going to be poo

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think anyone's like...demanding an apology or anything.

I think I speak for most Jews when I say I don't give a single poo poo about Hanukkah as anything but a chance to see family and all, it's a really minor holiday and it's actually a little lovely that it gets lumped in as 'Jewish Christmas' just because of proximity, but I think it's fair to say it's kinda funny that the dudes who stopped doing Monster Factory because laughing at a dude who's face is concave may offend the concave face community have one of their tentpole brand events rooted in 'uh what's Jewish Christmas, Candlenights?'

Yeah this.

Anyway Ethersea is still excellent and I am enjoying it very much! It's got a great structure, solid characters, plenty of room for laughs. It's still finding its feet in terms of team dynamic but I think it's gonna get there.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

but I think it's fair to say it's kinda funny that the dudes who stopped doing Monster Factory because laughing at a dude who's face is concave may offend the concave face community

huh didn't know this

it had kind of run it's course anyway

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Twenty twenty two, big dog dew

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"2022, big dog doo" is right there

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Valentin posted:

"2022, big dog doo" is right there

F, I was thinking the Mountain Dew angle but yeah, totally better

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

inferis posted:

Give it time.

Anyway, glad that big dog year is over, woof woof.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Twenty Chop And Screw. Mix it aaalllllll up

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
twenty scooby doo- this is the year we unlock all the mysteries

or

twenty-dooby/doobie doo- time to smoke a reefer and watch some cartoons while the world burns around us

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

AndrewP posted:

huh didn't know this

it had kind of run it's course anyway

Also didn't know this, figured they just got busy with other stuff and set it aside. If true it's stupid as gently caress while being entirely on brand :v:

Agree that it was getting tired, but it's been a whole year. Would love even a brief revisit at some point. That's what introduced me to the podcast and kinda remains my favorite thing they've done

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I wouldn't mind losing monster factory if Justin and Griffin made videos of them messing around with games together. Their Second Life videos are imo the best mcelroy content ever produced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

get away from the rhyming years and do what they did at the beginning with years like YOLO or Getting it Done in Twenty Does

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

flesh dance posted:

Also didn't know this, figured they just got busy with other stuff and set it aside. If true it's stupid as gently caress while being entirely on brand :v:

Agree that it was getting tired, but it's been a whole year. Would love even a brief revisit at some point. That's what introduced me to the podcast and kinda remains my favorite thing they've done

I believe they said it was a combination of factors, including being busy, not a lot of games with good character creation coming out, feeling like it's sort of run it's course, and yes, saying that as they've grown the show had started to feel kind of mean to them and they started worrying about if someone actually kind of looked like one of their "monsters."

I still hope they bring it back at least for Elden Ring, they haven't skipped a Dark Souls yet and those are always cool.

But I mean I could be remembering wrong, I have memory problems and it's 5am.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

External Organs posted:

Retrospectively the one for 2020 was loving hilarious.

"Twenty-Funny: Fill Your Life With Laughter and Love" :xd:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The World Inferno posted:

"Twenty-Funny: Fill Your Life With Laughter and Love" :xd:

Still trying to see how "twenty" and "funny" rhyme but I will always be confused by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jet Jaguar posted:

Still trying to see how "twenty" and "funny" rhyme but I will always be confused by that.

I couldn't believe them insisting that "twenty" and "plenty" don't rhyme. Accents, huh.